Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Ferns

Options
  • 08-04-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey everyone, just looking for some help here

having moved into a house late last year I had a patch of a half acre full of 6-8ft ferns which at the moment have died right down (snow may have helped a lot more than usual?
    My plan is to try spray them over the next few months and try get back to the soil so I can sort out the drainage

The ground is very uneven so I’ve started to pull all the dead ones back to get to the new growth underneath

Has any one any information on what the best way to go about it is and what product to use as all other threads on here recommend a product that’s now banned

I’ve purchased a knapsack sprayer to help

Is burning them off a good thought??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd just ignore them until you're ready to plant something else.

They'll make the drainage easier to sort out because you can do the work without turning the site into a compacted bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hey everyone, just looking for some help here

having moved into a house late last year I had a patch of a half acre full of 6-8ft ferns which at the moment have died right down (snow may have helped a lot more than usual?
    My plan is to try spray them over the next few months and try get back to the soil so I can sort out the drainage

The ground is very uneven so I’ve started to pull all the dead ones back to get to the new growth underneath

Has any one any information on what the best way to go about it is and what product to use as all other threads on here recommend a product that’s now banned

I’ve purchased a knapsack sprayer to help

Is burning them off a good thought??

Two products are available one is roundup although not specifically for bracken it does have an effect on the growth but won’t be effective until a bit later in the season.

The other product is asulox which is available through emergency legislation in May to be applied from July to September iirc (asulox is thought to be a particularly nasty and carcinogenic substance)

Obviously you would need a professional user number to buy these products.

It is possible to control bracken with repeated mowing/strimming over the course of a few years it’s vigour is reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭obriener2054

Seems like I will have some Asulox in a few weeks as the in-laws have a farm in Killarney

Any tips on the use of Asulox would be greatly appreciated:)

Advertisement