Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 2 places: "Carhuecaoil" and "Chimavanini"

• 08-04-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm doing genealogy research and found some placenames near Newport, Co. Tipperary which I cannot find any info on and presume they are mistranscriptions:
    • Chimavanini
    • Carhuecaoil or Curhan Caoil

Weirdly the first seems to be a place in Zimbabwe!

You can see the names here:

VBBk6Du.png

98d71uS.png

Any help or any information at all appreciated,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Carhuecaoil or Curhan Caoil is probably Carrowkeale, a townland in Kilvellane/Newport - the 1911 census shows a Wixted there at that date. No idea about the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I think the first part of the first one might be Cluain. I'm not sure of the second part.
    Worth looking on here for townland names.
    https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/owney-and-arra/

There are a few good geneaology groups on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/tipperary/

Tromtipp is right with the second one. Definitely Carroweale.

Cluain makes sense, and gives a possible solution in Clonbunny / Cluain Buinne, also in Kilvellane. It's interesting that although the records are in English, the place names seem to have been rendered in Irish, then spelled out phonetically. What is the date?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

It's odd that the writer would use a English "v", but not "Cloon" or "Clon". The "v" could come from "bh" or "mh". The "ini" could be "een", "eena", "eenagh", "ín", "íní", or something I stumbled on, "inthe" (Clooninihy / Cluain Inthe).

I had some fun trying to be a "Ctrl+F" detective in the surrounding different counties, but ultimately came up short. The closest I could get was:

Cranavaneen / Crann an Bháinín gives us a plausible ending. It raised my hopes that there might be a place called Cluain an/na Bháiníní or Cluain/Cloon/Clon-avauneen/avaneen(a) or similar, alas, not that I could find.

Why don't you think that it could be Cluain Buinne? - That seems to fit reasonably well with the word as presented in the image, and it's in the right parish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

tromtipp wrote: »
    Why don't you think that it could be Cluain Buinne? - That seems to fit reasonably well with the word as presented in the image, and it's in the right parish.

I was tickled by the puzzle, enjoyed the hunt, and had a hopeful, but ultimately deceptive moment of insight that I felt like sharing. "Bháinín" felt so good even before I noticed it was in Tipp.

Now that you bring my attention to Clonbunny/Cluain Buinne, it would be nice if there was something to point to showing the use of "bh" to make the author of the document think a "v" sounded right. There are some other spellings for that place here, none of which use "bh", however that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

I had searched other counties for places that sounded right which might give me a clue for the type of thing to look for in Tipp. It's amusing to see that Clonbunny and Cranavaneen are only 2.8 km from each other.

I've no idea of the real answer. Best of luck, Oceanclub!

Advertisement