Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Eireann rainfall radar website

Options
  • 08-04-2018 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

not sure how many are aware of the new upgraded website, you can now zoom in on the map

https://beta.met.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You'll see that you can have a wind or rain forecast on the map also (links to right).
    There's a link to a feedback form at the top. Add your comments please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The rainfall and wind forecasts are a nice touch. Also the customised location.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i left a comment pointing out that the new site shows 90 minutes of rainfall on the radar, but the old site show six hours. not a major issue, but would be nice to see further back (unless there's a toggle somewhere that i missed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think the only reason for looking back was so that you could mentally project forward, but now you don't have to, because the rainfall radar forecast does it for you.

On that, it seems to project forward for nearly a week, which is probably too far. I remember yer wan from Met Eireann on the RTE news saying they didn't go more than 5 days ahead because it gets so inaccurate.
    Still, with everyone else now doing long range fake forecasts, you gotta keep up with the competition...

recedite wrote: »
    I think the only reason for looking back was so that you could mentally project forward, but now you don't have to, because the rainfall radar forecast does it for you.
    There's a big difference between the radar and the forecast. The radar is showing what's actually falling* while the forecast is showing expected on the ground precipitation over a period. In the very short term ("will I get wet on the commute?") projecting the radar is likely more accurate.

*The radar is looking at the sky, not the ground and, due to the curvature of the earth, what it shows may be quite a height above ground and may not actually fall. The radar also shows a rainfall rate while the forecast shows a projected accumulation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cdaly_ wrote: »
    *The radar is looking at the sky, not the ground and, due to the curvature of the earth, what it shows may be quite a height above ground and may not actually fall.
    that's showing rain that's not there (or exaggerating it), yeah? a couple of times - not often - i've been out and it's it's been raining, usually a mizzle, which doesn't show on the radar. is that low lying cloud which the radar treats differently to rain? or can it distinguish?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

recedite wrote: »

On that, it seems to project forward for nearly a week, which is probably too far. I remember yer wan from Met Eireann on the RTE news saying they didn't go more than 5 days ahead because it gets so inaccurate.
    Still, with everyone else now doing long range fake forecasts, you gotta keep up with the competition...

If correct, I hope this 9 day forecast high pressure wins the battle over the low.

https://www.weather-forecast.com/maps/Germany

that's showing rain that's not there (or exaggerating it), yeah? a couple of times - not often - i've been out and it's it's been raining, usually a mizzle, which doesn't show on the radar. is that low lying cloud which the radar treats differently to rain? or can it distinguish?

There's a couple of things to consider here.

Radar is pointing above ground so it won't see the stuff at ground level.
    Reflectivity of rain is proportional to something like the sixth power of droplet size which means that drizzle is a lot harder to detect.
    There can be issues with mountain shadow so that much less is shown in an area to the far side of mountains from the radar itself.
    There's also a bunch of processing required to filter out effects of domestic wifi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

There's also a bunch of processing required to filter out effects of domestic wifi.

That's savage intetesting. Does it muddy the image? I never knew WiFi was visible to radar.
    I have heard that it confuses bees, and disorientates them. Seeing this (the cloudy, muddy-ing effects of WiFi) tangibly would be super interesting. Is there an image of this anywhere?

i remember there used to be a comment on the rainfall radar page about a line appearing due to wi-fi at the airport? or am i imagining that?

does wi-fi also interfere with navigational radar, is what i am now wondering...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've been using the rainfall radar on the Weather Live app for iphones for the last 2 or 3 years. Its incredibly accurate for the day ahead and gets less so the further into the future you go. Last year I was going a charity cycle from Sligo to Letterkenny. I said to the lads with me that it looked like we were in for a soaking somewhere in or around Donegal Town and sure enough as soon as we passed Donegal town, the skies opened and we were washed out of it for about 20 minutes.

I used the 'Windy' app also, its very very good too and very accurate for the following 48hrs or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

nee wrote: »
    I never knew WiFi was visible to radar. I have heard that it confuses bees, and disorientates them.
    The challenge in dealing with this problem is that the tiny tinfoil hats get in the way of the bee's antennae. :D

http://apistech.eu/bees-and-cellphones-not-another-horror-story/

That's savage intetesting. Does it muddy the image? I never knew WiFi was visible to radar.
    I have heard that it confuses bees, and disorientates them. Seeing this (the cloudy, muddy-ing effects of WiFi) tangibly would be super interesting. Is there an image of this anywhere?
    i remember there used to be a comment on the rainfall radar page about a line appearing due to wi-fi at the airport? or am i imagining that?

does wi-fi also interfere with navigational radar, is what i am now wondering...
    As I understand it, rainfall radar operates on a particular frequency and it's this which conflicts with domestic wifi. I'm not sure if the frequency is a physical thing or a regulated one. Nav radar will use different frequency.

The effect of wifi is not to muddy the signal. Instead the radar sees a signal emanating from a particular bearing which results in a radial (expanding) sector of false echo. It's particularly annoying because it obscures a significant distance. In the images below you can see a pair of such echoes pointing at Shannon Airport (one through Cork City, the other through Kilkenny and Wexford counties). The point of the echo is not necessarily the location of the wifi device. The second image shows another set of echoes pointing at Dublin Airport. Quite a broad sector over Co. Laois with a set more in north Co. Wexford. These images have already been somewhat filtered. The unfiltered versions can be a lot worse.

447822.png

can you not just send loads of rain at the offenders to punish them?

As I understand it, rainfall radar operates on a particular frequency and it's this which conflicts with domestic wifi. I'm not sure if the frequency is a physical thing or a regulated one.
    You would expect someone called Nigel to have the explanation.

http://wifinigel.blogspot.ie/2013/05/5ghz-missing-3-channels-in-europe.html

Maybe unregulated equipment. Like Black Helicopters maybe.

Lumen wrote: »
    The challenge in dealing with this problem is that the tiny tinfoil hats get in the way of the bee's antennae. :D

http://apistech.eu/bees-and-cellphones-not-another-horror-story/

Oh I'm glad to read it! I can stop making tiny tinfoil hats now. I was getting really good at them too boo :pac:
    As I understand it, rainfall radar operates on a particular frequency and it's this which conflicts with domestic wifi. I'm not sure if the frequency is a physical thing or a regulated one. Nav radar will use different frequency.

The effect of wifi is not to muddy the signal. Instead the radar sees a signal emanating from a particular bearing which results in a radial (expanding) sector of false echo. It's particularly annoying because it obscures a significant distance. In the images below you can see a pair of such echoes pointing at Shannon Airport (one through Cork City, the other through Kilkenny and Wexford counties). The point of the echo is not necessarily the location of the wifi device. The second image shows another set of echoes pointing at Dublin Airport. Quite a broad sector over Co. Laois with a set more in north Co. Wexford. These images have already been somewhat filtered. The unfiltered versions can be a lot worse.

447822.png

This is absolutely fascinating. I wonder could you use it to trace and map wifi signal across the country. Obviously it only sees a particular kind/frequency of signal. Ooh mind buzz.

This is absolutely fascinating. I wonder could you use it to trace and map wifi signal across the country. Obviously it only sees a particular kind/frequency of signal. Ooh mind buzz.

If you think that's a mind buzz, how about the talk I was at from Ericsson about using microwave signal attenuation as a rainfall detection network. The premise was that there are such dense networks of microwave links and that the attenuation due to rainfall is known to engineers (so that they can boost signal) so you should be able to get pretty high resolution rainfall detection...

I have to say that the iconographic representation of daily weather is a triumph of simplicity.

Screen%20Shot%202018-04-10%20at%2016.17.49.png?v=f1aa9188

That tells me exactly what I need to know, and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

So our older viewers won't feel left out....
    bbc_weather_fish_1977b.jpg

I have to say that the iconographic representation of daily weather is a triumph of simplicity.

Screen%20Shot%202018-04-10%20at%2016.17.49.png?v=f1aa9188

That tells me exactly what I need to know, and no more.

Don't forget the 7-day forecast below it...

• Advertisement

If you think that's a mind buzz, how about the talk I was at from Ericsson about using microwave signal attenuation as a rainfall detection network. The premise was that there are such dense networks of microwave links and that the attenuation due to rainfall is known to engineers (so that they can boost signal) so you should be able to get pretty high resolution rainfall detection...

Mind. Blown. :D

Don't forget the 7-day forecast below it...
    Don't be ridiculous, nobody can forecast the weather. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

the beta version was great with a rainfall forecast etc
    but since the full new version i don't see the same forecasting links ?? to see rain forecast over 3-4 days ?? etc :(

(on a map that is , not just symbols)

are you browsing on a smartphone or PC?
    on a 'fat' browser, it's the 'Rainfall Forecast (7 day)' to the right of the main map on the front page.

if you're using the app on a smartphone, click the '>' beside 'maps - recent rainfall'; this opens a new page, and it's the third icon down on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

cheers

working ok on a PC (work) but not on my old mac , running a "too embarrassed to say" version of OSX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

devonp wrote: »
    cheers

working ok on a PC (work) but not on my old mac , running a "too embarrassed to say" version of OSX

The computer I'm writing this on has a floppy drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This thread is awesome. Thanks cdaly, keep it coming!

I woke up early today and amongst other morning chores I imported the hourly Casement Aerodrome weather dataset from met.ie into a MySQL database so I could run queries on data all the way back to the beginning of time.

One of the surprising facts I found is that 1/8 of the hours have measurable rainfall (0.1mm or over). And there's no large bias towards rainfall at different times of day - I always thought it rained more at night time.

There have been discussions on this forum before where people (me included) advanced the idea that on a typical (say <30 minute commute) you had to be quite unlucky to be rained on, but this appears not to be supported by the data.

Dublin doesn't feel like a place that is raining one hour in eight. Well, apart from in 2018 when it feels more like 50/50.

There have been discussions on this forum before where people (me included) advanced the idea that on a typical (say <30 minute commute) you had to be quite unlucky to be rained on, but this appears not to be supported by the data.
    well, if there's a 1 in 8 chance within one hour, it's going to be less than that in a half an hour - say 1 in 10. which might imply that in a week of commuting, you'd get rained on once?

• Advertisement

well, if there's a 1 in 8 chance within one hour, it's going to be less than that in a half an hour - say 1 in 10. which might imply that in a week of commuting, you'd get rained on once?

If we take the simple case of a commute one hour each way, with a probability of staying dry of 88%, then the probability of staying dry over one 5-day week is 0.88^10 = 28%. Conversely, the probability of getting wet at least once is 72%.

I'm too stupid to work out the probability for half-hour intervals.

Advertisement