Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice? HELP!

Options
  • 08-04-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Could anyone give me their experience with these subjects for the leaving cert? I’m having trouble choosing between 2 sciences and 2 businesses

Business - i have an interest but I’ve heard that its extremely difficult to get the h1 or h2 in it.

Accounting- I got the majority of my marks for accounting with junior cert business and I understand it easily, but then again accounting for the leaving cert is probably a lot harder.

Biology- I was good at biology when i was in junior cert. The only thing holding me back is the course length and the amount involved.

Physics- I’m awful at maths but I was good at physics for junior cert. Would there be any hope for me if I did physics for the leaving?

Anyone have any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Business I chose as a filler subject because it was either that or Physics. The latter, I needed to do for a meteorology course but I didn't choose it because I don't have an interest in the subject itself and I find it very difficult.

Business is not a problem to me. It's like a passing thought. It is very difficult to get those very high grades on Business because the marking scheme is very strict on what you can write down. When defining something or answering a question, you must include certain words in your answer. If you do not, you get minimal marks or no marks at all even if you do kind of know what you're talking about.

I think it's an alright subject but if the above frustrates you, it may not be a great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I do both Biology and Accounting in fifth year at the moment.

Biology has always been quite easy for me. Compared to chemistry the definitions aren't that bad as they are not complicated so far. The understanding of the course isn't too bad either. I think it's a good lab science to have if you want to choose one. I enjoy sciences though which is why I have a keen interest in this subject. People tend to think it's the easy science, but you still have to work hard.

Accounting is something I picked up for easy marks and to fill my last subject place. Honestly, it's one of my favourite subjects. As long as you learn and listen in class and do questions, you can't go wrong. There isn't much they can do to change or trip you up in an exam. Understanding the accounts and why things go in certain places is important, rather than just fully memorising every single thing. After doing so many accounts though, you get used to what they ask you and you can easily gain confidence. Statistics for high grades in accounting are quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

jeonahr wrote: »
    I do both Biology and Accounting in fifth year at the moment.

Biology has always been quite easy for me. Compared to chemistry the definitions aren't that bad as they are not complicated so far. The understanding of the course isn't too bad either. I think it's a good lab science to have if you want to choose one. I enjoy sciences though which is why I have a keen interest in this subject. People tend to think it's the easy science, but you still have to work hard.

Accounting is something I picked up for easy marks and to fill my last subject place. Honestly, it's one of my favourite subjects. As long as you learn and listen in class and do questions, you can't go wrong. There isn't much they can do to change or trip you up in an exam. Understanding the accounts and why things go in certain places is important, rather than just fully memorising every single thing. After doing so many accounts though, you get used to what they ask you and you can easily gain confidence. Statistics for high grades in accounting are quite high.

Thank you :)

Advertisement