Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery usage on HKC RF SABB

Options
  • 08-04-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

I installed a HKC RF SABB about 6 months ago and the keypad is now showing a low battery error.

I understood that the batteries should have lasted for 3 years? The bell may have rang several times over the past few months but nothing like that required to run the batteries so quickly.

I'm thinking of changing the SABB to run on wired 12 volts. Will I get an error if I don't install the 8.4 volt backup battery. The panel has a GSM communicator so I'm not too worried about having no backup and it doesn't matter about not complying with regs for insurance etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Simple answer is to get a 1 amp inline power supply unit and use it to power the wire free SABB. You will have to replace the batteries to clear the fault but of you do this once that is your problem solved for years to come.

Batteries won`t last a year if they are outside in an SABB. It should be independently powered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Simple answer is to get a 1 amp inline power supply unit and use it to power the wire free SABB. You will have to replace the batteries to clear the fault but of you do this once that is your problem solved for years to come.

Batteries won`t last a year if they are outside in an SABB. It should be independently powered
    Thanks for the reply.

What batteries do I need to change to clear the fault? I hoped that all I would need would be connect 12 volts to the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Stinky45

I have posted a similar Topic to this thread before....I changed out all the six batteries and even tried another battery pack from a different HKC 70 SABB that I have and the fault did not clear! Left with little choice now but to replace SABB, if that doesn't work then the fault maybe in the control panel itself??? (in the form of a software glitch)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

6 batteries in the sabb

Replacing them and fitting an in line PSU to provide continual 12v should clear the fault, try powering it all down and cold start again.

I assume you bought proper batteries, ir duracell etc not cheap and nasty Dealz stuff

6 batteries in the sabb

Replacing them and fitting an in line PSU to provide continual 12v should clear the fault, try powering it all down and cold start again.

I assume you bought proper batteries, ir duracell etc not cheap and nasty Dealz stuff
    I don't think it works that way. You can't connect the supplied battery box and 12V, apparently you need to purchase a rechargeable pack if using permanent 12V. After paying €150 6 months ago, I really don't want to shell out again on a different battery pack if using the 12V option.

The batteries that are now showing as low are the originals that came with the box and are indeed Duracell.

• Advertisement

My experience too....used brand new Duracell (couldn't get HKC) all checked on the meter and all sound before installing. Still the fault remains???:(:(

Stinky45 wrote: »
    My experience too....used brand new Duracell (couldn't get HKC) all checked on the meter and all sound before installing. Still the fault remains???:(:(
    I'm gonna try the permanent 12V at the weekend without the 8.4v battery pack and I'll report back whether it works or not.

podge3 wrote: »
    I'm gonna try the permanent 12V at the weekend without the 8.4v battery pack and I'll report back whether it works or not.
    So - I tried the permanent 12V without the battery backup and it worked:)

Once I connected it all up and cleared the error, the system worked just fine with no further faults.

When you say "Cleared the error" was this automatic or some action/process you followed?

In any event, well done!....lovely when a plan comes together.
    Thanks too for the feedback throughout the struggle to solve the issue.

A few Qs:
    1)In the event of a power cut or a power cut initiated by an intruder isn't the system now inactive?
    2)By inactive I mean....Without the backup supply provided by the battery pack?
    3)Did you reattach the battery pack once the system no longer identified a fault?...(rechargeable pack as mentioned previously)
    4)If so were you then able to remove the 12v power supply....in order to let the battery pack take over again, and no fault reported?

Many thanks again....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

podge3 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

What batteries do I need to change to clear the fault? I hoped that all I would need would be connect 12 volts to the box?

If you have the LEDs on with one battery pack it will drain the batteries quicker.
    You can add a second battery pack to get up to 32 months when using the LEDs.

• Advertisement

When you say "Cleared the error" was this automatic or some action/process you followed?

In any event, well done!....lovely when a plan comes together.
    Thanks too for the feedback throughout the struggle to solve the issue.

A few Qs:
    1)In the event of a power cut or a power cut initiated by an intruder isn't the system now inactive?
    2)By inactive I mean....Without the backup supply provided by the battery pack?
    3)Did you reattach the battery pack once the system no longer identified a fault?...(rechargeable pack as mentioned previously)
    4)If so were you then able to remove the 12v power supply....in order to let the battery pack take over again, and no fault reported?

Many thanks again....
    Sorry for the late reply.

I think the error cleared when I checked the engineer log, I don't recall doing anything specific.

1 - A power fail shouldn't cause a problem as the panel is supplying the 12V so the battery backup in the panel will supply the 12V in the event of a power fail.
    3 - No, there is no battery pack now connected i.e. neither original main pack or backup.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for getting back....I'm still little confused as I thought the SABB was the problem ....in the event of a power fault you say the panel will be OK as it has a backup battery. However your SABB has not....maybe I've taken up something incorrectly?? The SABB if without power will not get any from a wireless system panel.....thanks again always good to share the details of what might be a mutual problem.

Thank you for getting back....I'm still little confused as I thought the SABB was the problem ....in the event of a power fault you say the panel will be OK as it has a backup battery. However your SABB has not....maybe I've taken up something incorrectly?? The SABB if without power will not get any from a wireless system panel.....thanks again always good to share the details of what might be a mutual problem.
    Maybe I didn't make it clear but its the panel is supplying the 12V to the SABB i.e. I've used the original bell box wiring to provide 12V to the SABB from the panel.

Ah that explains it....so the wireless system as per OP is no longer wireless. That is the point I missed I had deduced your 12v supply was from mains through transformer into SABB....Thanks Again

6 batteries in the sabb

I notice having purchased a NEW RF-SABB to try to fix my own issue which keeps reporting a battery fault on the SABB even with six NEW batteries all of which were tested, that the instructions clearly state you must REMOVE the pack of six alkaline batteries and install the HKC-BAT-8.4v NiMH (a pack of rechargeable disc batteries which have their own cylindrical housing on the SABB board itself.) This action regards batteries is taken when the SABB is to be powered by a 12v PSU as opposed to being run by batteries alone.

Advertisement