Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Railway Carriages

• 08-04-2018 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there I'm new to this site and I'm visiting Ireland at the end of this month.

I was wondering if anybody on here could assist me ?

I have been told about some locations where old railway carriages bodies can be found as holiday homes etc. Was hoping somebody might know about them and be able to give me their exact locations so thatvI can visit them and take some photographs (that I can possibly use in a book I'm currently working on).

The locations that I have been told where railway carriage bodies can be found are :
    Coxs Field
    Crosshaven
    Youghal
    Ballyvoyle
    Annestown/Arnestown
    Owenahincha Beach

So if anybody can help me with the exact locations of these (or any other railway carriage bodies) that would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Off the top of my head I'd say you're too late to the party. Almost all carriages that were used as holiday homes are long gone although 20 years ago I remember some along the Waterford coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Very, very few left.

When people could afford it, they demolished them and replaced them with a new structure. I know of 1 or 2 that are being used as holiday homes and about the same number derelict and living on borrowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

50 Years ago Crosshaven was full of old carraiges/bus's/ ford box's which were used as holiday homes. Now you will find upmarket homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Search for 'Glamping'. It's short for glamorous camping. I know there was a place in Sligo with and eclectic collection of trains, buses etc even a Boeing 747. I don't know if that particular place is open but there maybe others scattered around the island.

Another point of interest is the Orient Express restaurant in the Glenlo Abbey.https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/galways-orient-express-inside-irelands-most-unusual-hotel-restaurant-34590884.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Railway Man

Very, very few left.

When people could afford it, they demolished them and replaced them with a new structure. I know of 1 or 2 that are being used as holiday homes and about the same number derelict and living on borrowed time.
    Hi there do you know the exact location of the 1 or 2 that are being used as holiday homes ? - hopefully they will still be around for a couple more weeks and I will be able to photograph them cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

There's one in Enniscrone on The Wanderers's photo thread! https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106130728&postcount=2870

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

the ticket office at the suir valley railway is an old carriage. (by modern standards can't think if it's a craven or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

patrickc wrote: »
    the ticket office at the suir valley railway is an old carriage. (by modern standards can't think if it's a craven or not)

it's a mark 2-d if i remember rightly.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I know in 2014 there was some abandoned rail carriages at Killashee House in Naas, Kildare. Not sure if they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Its a MK11 alright.

• Advertisement

I almost forgot, there's a good few at Dromod. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭queenm79

JeffK88 wrote: »
    I know in 2014 there was some abandoned rail carriages at Killashee House in Naas, Kildare. Not sure if they are still there.

The Kilashee ones were still there last year, I was there twice to see them.

Caragh Nurseries also has one made over into their café.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

There are definitely a number of options still available to you.

1. In Enniscrone there is Quirky`s Glamping Village. They`ve had a 3CIG Class 421 EMU unit complete in original BR green livery delivered recently and its in good shape. Go on You Tube and search Quirky`s Glamping trains and you`ll find it.
    2. Cavan & Leitrim Railway Museum, Dromod Co Leitrim. You`ll find a bundle of old railway carraiges here from the older CIE wooden stock to the rail buses that were used on the narrow gauge railways duch as the C&L and Donegal. Again on You Tube search Dromod trains and you`ll find a load of stuff that visitors have put up.

Hope you find what you are looking for.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭BowWow

Two old Orient Express carriages used as a restaurant at Glenlo Abbey Hotel in Galway.

http://www.glenloabbeyhotel.ie/en/pullman-restaurant-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Was Youghal a place too where there were many carriages used as holiday homes (might be able to confirm Del Monte)? Last time I was there I glimpsed this and wondered whether it had some 'railway' heritage:
    https://goo.gl/maps/1MxrkBiPe8L2

That holiday home sure looks like it's some sort of converted railway carriage and Youghal (Claycastle) used to have loads of old carriages now long gone. A Giant's Causeway tram even found its way there (now at Howth Transport Museum) and was used as an ice cream shop for years:

Ireland, indeed, was a pioneer in electric trams, with the Giant's Causeway tram of 1883, which is also thought to be the oldest surviving tram in the world. This, which has been immortalised in story and songs, has many a tale to tell. After ending its working days in September 1949, it found its' way to Youghal, Co Cork, where it was converted to a shop, before retiring to the Howth Transport Museum, where it is being restored. https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishwoman-s-diary-1.69912

More here:

http://www.tram.vintagecarriagestrust.org/tms/tramInfo.asp?Ref=123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's a hell of a long way for an old tram body to go!

Advertisement