Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic fencing posts

Options
  • 09-04-2018 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all, any of you have any experience with these , advertised on a farming site on fb , i like the idea that they cant rot and are reusable, any cons i should know about ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If they are like the ones made by Superwood, then they aren't very successful. Got a dozen years ago and found them not rigid enough. Top can chip when driving, and impossible to drive a staple into.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

I am pretty sure i read a bit about recycled plastic fence posts on a thread here before but cant seem to find it now. There is a crowd in Clare (not sure if i can mention the company so i wont) doing recycled plastic fence posts and wondering if anyone has used them and how they find them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

JFC are making them now.... http://jfcagri.com/fencing/

hopeso wrote: »
    JFC are making them now.... http://jfcagri.com/fencing/

Thanks, however it is the ones from IFF plastics in particular that i am looking at. https://iff.ie/products/
    Wondering is there anyone who has used them and found any issues with them cracking or getting damaged when driving them. Or find any issues with them.

I have looked at the JFC ones and didnt think much of them as the solid ones just had a timber post inside plastic sleeve. Thought the solid plastic posts might last better once there is not real issues with driving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I haven't ever bought any, but I sometimes find broken ones along the boundary on an outfarm. I find them handy for propping open gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I bought 100 round and 10 square of them last year. Put down about 80 round ones. Used poles as strainers instead. Not a whole lot wrong with them overall. I felt if they were another foot longer they would be the job altogether. Have a post hole maker for the digger so driving them with the digger was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I bought 100 round and 10 square of them last year. Put down about 80 round ones. Used poles as strainers instead. Not a whole lot wrong with them overall. I felt if they were another foot longer they would be the job altogether. Have a post hole maker for the digger so driving them with the digger was easy.

Is it hard drive a staple in them? I hear a 6 foot is 10 plus vat ...pricey enough.

Can't help but dislike the idea of plastic posts, just seems to be bits of plastic everywhere now a days.

Did you go with 5 foot posts i presume? Did you use staples or screw in insulators? And how did they work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

1.77 metre ones. Used the screw in type but went a bit of overkill and pre-drilled the holes with a 3.5mm bit. They are solid plastic so I was afraid there wasn't enough give in them and they might split. I didn't drill maybe 5 or 6 of them and the only difference was its harder screw them in. Time will tell whether it bulges them.
    The reason I say about the extra ft is I would be happier with it drove into the ground more and still have the same fence height.

The square ones I half remember the woman telling me that it took 12,000 small plastic bottles to make one of them but I could be wrong.

Looking at the invoice the 6fts were €8.14 and the square 3.5inch were €15.04 excluding VAT at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I happened to get talking to these guys at Tullamore show - NGP in county Meath. Their 6 foot by 3 inch diameter were €14 including VAT. There were solid plastic posts, made from recycled plastic. I guess higher electricity prices would make them more expensive to produce. They look very solid, in fairness. If they lasted 40, that wouldn't be expensive at all.

Their site says Glanbia, Homeland and Kerry, among others stock them

Plastic Fencing | Next Generation Plastics | www.ngp.ie

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement