Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a hidden camera?

Options
  • 09-04-2018 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Please see the attached photos taken in the gents of a pub near Rathfarnham Shopping Centre. This appears to be a camera directly above the urinals. If yes, is this common?
    KW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

That's a passive infrared detector for their alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Looks like a PIR sensor, which detects movement, most likely part of an alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Pyro66 wrote:
    Please see the attached photos taken in the gents of a pub near Rathfarnham Shopping Centre. This appears to be a camera directly above the urinals. If yes, is this common? KW

D3V!L wrote:

colm_c wrote:
    Looks like a PIR sensor, which detects movement, most likely part of an alarm system.

It 'looks' like a PIR sensor, but why would you have one in the toilet.

I'd say it's a spy cam. Just go to gearbest and search for hidden camera. The majority of them are disguised as PIR sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Bottom left hand side of the centre panel would indeed seem to have a camera concealed within.

It’s common over vending machines to catch people rocking them and stealing stuff.

Last place I worked had a serious problem on night shifts with this happening. Then suddenly a second smoke alarm appeared within 18inches of the existing one. Still they caught two lads rocking the machine and pilfering stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

tedpan wrote: »
    It 'looks' like a PIR sensor, but why would you have one in the toilet.

Cause the toilet has a window to the back of the pub where people could break in? Like lots of pubs do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The hidden ones Ive seen look like that alright the small hole is the giveaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Is this a hidden camera?
    not exactly hidden ,is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Is this a hidden camera?
    not exactly hidden ,is it?

To be fair it’s hidden inside the pir case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Did you contact the shopping Center and ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

salmocab wrote: »
    To be fair it’s hidden inside the pir case.

Ah,now I get it, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

heroics wrote: »
    Did you contact the shopping Center and ask them?

It's in a pub near the shopping center. I actually recognise the toilets and I'll be firing of a complaint to the data commissioner if I verify this myself next time I'm in there and I see it. There is a reasonable expectation of privacy in a toilet which this clearly contravenes.

If they want to prevent crime they should move those vending machines out of the toilets. Or better yet, get rid of them altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

D3V!L wrote: »

Always wondered what PIR stood for (wasn't nt concerned enough to Google it myself obviously ).
    Are they sometimes used to control the lights and/or urinal flushes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

If that is a hole below the 'screen', it's likely it's a camera, if it's an LED that comes on when you move in front of it, it's likely a PIR for the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Pull the jonnie machine off the wall and see do you get nicked by the Po Po. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say it's a covert camera all right. The pin hole is the giveaway.
    If it's looking away from the urinals (it appears to be) at the common areas it's standard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If there is a window then it’s almost certainly an innocent PIR. If there’s no window then it’s most likely not just a PIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Untidy cabling, but it could be just for the lights.
    do the lights come on automatically in the toilets when you walk in?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If it's for lights its a terrible job. Behind the door rather than looking at it. A microwave switch would be a much easier option.
    The location of the vending machine is terrible as well. You nearly have to get over the urinal.
    No reason for a pin hole like that on a normal pir.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pyro66 wrote: »
    Please see the attached photos taken in the gents of a pub near Rathfarnham Shopping Centre. This appears to be a camera directly above the urinals. If yes, is this common?
    KW

it's not very hidden

surely a more obvious security camera would be more of a deterrent to Joe Public

unless the attempt here is to either

a) catch staff nicking stuff out of the vending machine
    b) have a look at willies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Does a red LED light up when you wave at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The whole thing looks like a lazy setup and untidy. I do agree PIRs do not normally have a pinhole, but some have a red LED where that is.
    It is crooked on the wall too. If someone was using the urinal beside the machine and another person walked in, they would be shoved into it. At least that's the way it looks.
    It could be a Spy Camera, but way too creepy to think it is.. Although it does not appear to be all that unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

If there is a window then it’s almost certainly an innocent PIR. If there’s no window then it’s most likely not just a PIR.

It looks very similar to this.link

Another thing to check is to see if it looks like the PIRs that are in the rest of the building.

A closer picture would be nice
    But very like these ones also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's to catch people and the devils dandruff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP, it is a covert camera, I fitted this model a few times but never in a place like that and neither would I.

Send that picture onto the Data Commissioner please, it is a disgrace that management in a place like that can consider that location as suitable for a CCTV camera.

PS it has a wide angle lens, there is not much in that room which that camera is not seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Yes it is a camera the pin hole is obvious, this is deeply concerning why footage is being captured at this angle it seems a malicious purpose. Can someone advise the OP the right party to report this?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes, it certainly looks like a covert camera. Very amateurish looking install tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Deffo a hidden camera. Managed to hack into it and got this.....

bear+poop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most PIR sensors have an LED indicator - why not ask the owner before someone asks why you are taking pictures in the urinal
    Plus the angle doesn't look opportune to capture some willies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

fritzelly wrote: »
    Most PIR sensors have an LED indicator - why not ask the owner before someone asks why you are taking pictures in the urinal
    Plus the angle doesn't look opportune to capture some willies

As i said earlier, those PIR covert cameras have very wide lenses in them, off the top of my head i think it is either a 2.8mm or a 3.5mm, so it will see wall to wall and ceiling to floor and everything between.

Advertisement