Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a hidden camera?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

stevek93 wrote: »
    Yes it is a camera the pin hole is obvious, this is deeply concerning why footage is being captured at this angle it seems a malicious purpose. Can someone advise the OP the right party to report this?

The Data Commissioner or The Private Security Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A place fond of tribute bands yeah? Jacks by the main doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

I took the photos yesterday (Sunday) at lunchtime. I'm pretty certain that it is a camera. You can see similar equipment on ebay (search for PIR hidden camera). I think that the wiring was for the jonnie machine.

I'm not aware of tribute bands playing. Lots of apples there though, at least so the name would suggest.

We were discussing this in work today. A camera might possibly be put in the toilets to capture images of persons making fraudulent claims (e.g. Your Honour, I slipped and fell on the wet floor). I think that Supermacs Galway successfully defended a claim in this way approx 10 years ago. I would guess that if a responsible company was fitting a camera for this purpose, it would be placed so as not to invade privacy. Some recorders can mask parts of the image. Maybe that was done in this case? Someone from the security industry might know more about this.

Maybe someone familiar with security equipment might confirm that it's a camera / check the other toilets, and get a better photo. I was using an old Nokia feature phone camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If those wires are not part of it maybe someone just stuck a battery powered one up (ergo the cockeyed - giggle - placement on the wall) and will be back to reclaim it next week eeeek

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, we're talking the same place.

Its a place I'd give custom at least five times a year so very curious if your suspicions are correct. If I had to bet I'd say you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

I was in a pub on Walkinstown Roundabout for lunch today (the one that sounds like it could fly). Again, I found a hidden CCTV camera in the gents (above the urinals). This time, it was disguised as a fire alarm detector, though it was placed in a corner of the ceiling - where a detector won't work well, and there was another (different) detector in the middle of the ceiling. Photo attached. I spoke with a member of staff who said that the camera image didn't invade privacy (and that the gents was a public place so it was legal).

So it looks like hidden cameras in toilets isn't uncommon.

The lunch was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

I know the place in Rathfarnham, and don't really have an issue with the camera in the main bathroom as the place can certainly get rowdy at times. The placement is certainly a key point though in any bathroom, and should be pointed toward the urinal, and at the back of those using it.

For anyone not aware, the camera lens is the tiny black dot in the middle.

hidden-surveillance-cctv-camera-pir.jpg?format=500w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

This post has been deleted.

Funny Air freshener, when you power them up with 12 volts and connect them to a DVR they give very good pictures.

Believe me, I have installed enough of them.

As mentioned previously it should be positioned elsewhere.

Advertisement