Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting shooting

Options
  • 09-04-2018 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I've been looking to get involved in shooting. I've spoken to a gun club, local Supt etc and I know costs involved.

I've small experience with firearms having fired pistols, rifles and shotguns before.

I am looking to buy a pistol for target shooting. I've been advised to try a few different makes/models before I decide which one to buy. Good advice but an obvious flaw...

Does anyone know where I might sample a few different makes/ models of pistols? Obviously needs to be legal and above board just don't know of anywhere! Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Try Hilltop in Wicklow usually have a good selection in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Harbour House outside Athy, Co. Kildare is an excellent range and have two gun dealers there pretty much every Saturday.

Well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Thanks for the replies. Are you allowed practice on the ranges ahead of purchase? (I presume no of i don't have firearm cert ) And if so i do i need to have completed a firearms competency course?

Sorry for silly questions just very little information on the internet about the shooting scene in Ireland!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

talla10 wrote: »
    . Are you allowed practice on the ranges ahead of purchase? (I presume no of i don't have firearm cert )
    Yes.

Once it's an unrestricted firearm (which 22lr pistols are) you can shoot them on a range if they're range guns and under supervision. now whether the range allows it or not is another matter, but it's legal.
    And if so i do i need to have completed a firearms competency course?
    Legally, you need to be under supervision if new to shooting or if you can prove competence the range may let you shoot unsupervised. However it's at the range's discretion. So i cannot say if a course will be needed.
    Sorry for silly questions just very little information on the internet about the shooting scene in Ireland!
    Too much for one place to keep it all plus you don't really need to know everything as your brain would melt. 19 firearm acts, 61 SIs, and European directives. Start n ow and you might be finished reading before retirement age. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

talla10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Are you allowed practice on the ranges ahead of purchase? (I presume no of i don't have firearm cert ) And if so i do i need to have completed a firearms competency course?

By going to a club such as Harbour House on a Saturday, not only will there be two gun dealers there, loads of club members will be there too. This gives you an opportunity to see an even bigger selection of pistols. I've often let newbies try my pistol to see what it's like. Under strict supervision of course. Most club members are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Thanks for the replies i'll definitely check out a few of those ranges.

Advertisement