Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic Monkeys - 3Arena - 24&25/9/2018 - **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It only comes out tomorrow though, you'd have to think it'd feature more after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That was before the album was released though. After the album comes out tomorrow id be pretty confident that they'll be playing at least 4 or 5 from the new album. They did the same with AM. Started the tour before the album released and played Do I Wanna Know, Arabella and a one or two others then when the album came they changed the setlists to play 5 or 6 from AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

They played in Hollywood last weekend and only did 3 songs off the new album out of about 20, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I was on the fence about getting tickets as although AM is one of my favourite albums of the decade, I never cared much for their earlier stuff. Happy enough with my decision not to pick up a ticket now after this, I saw them on the AM tour and that'll be enough for me.

Actually looking at the last 4 gigs, all 20 songs all 4 from the new one. That's grand, the rest of the set list has me excited again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MadYaker wrote: »
    That was before the album was released though. After the album comes out tomorrow id be pretty confident that they'll be playing at least 4 or 5 from the new album. They did the same with AM. Started the tour before the album released and played Do I Wanna Know, Arabella and a one or two others then when the album came they changed the setlists to play 5 or 6 from AM.

Yeah I think 4/5 won't be the worst tbf, so long as they group together or with other slower songs I think.

I think the title track would be quite a good opener. It'll be interesting to see what the reaction to this is when it comes out tomorrow. I think it'll get good reviews but the fans won't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

For me it sounded like an album that you'd like/it'd grow on you if you wanted to like it or for it to grow on you. It's not a bad album per se, just very underwhelming. There's nothing wrong with the stripped back style, but the songs at their core did little for me. The vocal style definitely grates by the time you get to the end of it too.

Guardian review ***
    Wonder what it would have gotten if it was by a new band. You sense some reviewers and fans (probably including myself) really want to give this a chance but it's a bit of a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Guardian review ***
    Wonder what it would have gotten if it was by a new band. You sense some reviewers and fans (probably including myself) really want to give this a chance but it's a bit of a challenge.

Reminds a bit of the way Radiohead changed direction with Kid A, the first time I heard it I thought it was some sort of joke, its now one of my favorite albums. I can't see myself warming to this one though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

threein99 wrote: »
    Reminds a bit of the way Radiohead changed direction with Kid A, the first time I heard it I thought it was some sort of joke, its now one of my favorite albums. I can't see myself warming to this one though

Guardian themselves gave Kid A 2/5 originally and then named it #2 in their list of Best Albums of the Decade.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Guardian themselves gave Kid A 2/5 originally and then named it #2 in their list of Best Albums of the Decade.

Goes to show what reviews are worth, musical taste is completely subjective.

I remember looking up reviews of Californication by the Chili Peppers and found a few luke warm ones at best :D

• Advertisement

Beginning to wonder whether I want this album at all...
    then, right on cue, I see a mail from Amazon: 'Your order of 'Tranquility Base Hotel...' has been dispatched'

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

the album imo .... its not as awful as some are saying .... its not nearly as good as their older stuff ... like any album it will take me 10 - 12 listens to decide if its gonna go into the regular rotation

the album imo .... its not as awful as some are saying .... its not nearly as good as their older stuff ... like any album it will take me 10 - 12 listens to decide if its gonna go into the regular rotation

Its slowly growing on me, buts its not the album I hoped AM would release after 5 years away. Any spares for the gigs in the 3Arena ?

Its slowly growing on me, buts its not the album I hoped AM would release after 5 years away. Any spares for the gigs in the 3Arena ?

Seating tickets seem to be appearing on ticketmaster every now and again but I'm not sure id bother going if I can't get a standing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Goes to show what reviews are worth, musical taste is completely subjective.

big time. I dont give an ounce of attention to album reviews. Movies reviews are one thing but album reviews are all but pointless. Shiit sometimes I listen to albums I love and dont like them, so dependent on mood at the moment. I couldn't imagine having to listen to something to rate it, everything would be 2/5

Seating tickets seem to be appearing on ticketmaster every now and again but I'm not sure id bother going if I can't get a standing one.

I'm the same, could have had seated but can't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

So, I’ve given this a fair few spins now. It’s a very self indulgent record from Turner. I loved the recent Shadow Puppets record and this isn’t as good. He’s gone for the ‘Sweet Dreams Tennessee’ vibe and only hits the mark sporadically here. I’m a huge admirer of Turners lyrics though and this is jam packed so as the tracks become more familiar I think this could be a grower.

5 stars from the Irish Times

They were on Jimmy Fallon last night. Seems to be seven or eight of them all of a sudden..

That song is growing on me. Hope the rest will too.

And hope they don't take five years before coming up with something else

5 stars from the Irish Times

They were on Jimmy Fallon last night. Seems to be seven or eight of them all of a sudden..

That song is growing on me. Hope the rest will too.

And hope they don't take five years before coming up with something else

That song has been stuck in my head which is something I didn't think would happen after the first couple of spins of the album. To quote the Darkness its really growing on me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Spear Tackle

Reviews ranging from "masterpiece" to " what the **** is this you Kants"

in summation:
    Alex Turner got gifted a piano and made a self indulgent solo album. The rest of the lads came over to get their pics taken for the album sleeve.
    Either that or their guitars were stolen.

I absolutely love it, but i'm pretentious. I can picture it being on in the background of a South William Street cafe while i place my order for an avocado and peach flatbread with a teaberry cooler.

• Advertisement

2 stars from Rolling Stone

3 stars from the Guardian.

Id give it 4 stars out of five, and thats unheard of.

who knew Richard Hammond was so trendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I understand tastes differ and that some people will like this while others won't, but I've no idea how you give that album 5 stars.

I understand tastes differ and that some people will like this while others won't, but I've no idea how you give that album 5 stars.

Its all subjective, listen and form your own opinion as you would with any album.

Nah you couldnt give it 5/5 I don't think. 3 or 4 out of 5 is more like it. Humbug is still their best album in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

They've doubled the numbers in the band to play live. This isn't the Arctic Monkeys.

There are two ways of judging it, 1) as an Arctic Monkeys album or 2) Alex's solo/vanity/crooner project/TLSP but without that insufferable twat.

On first listen I'm judging as an Arctic's album and it's thumbs down. But I think I could appreciate the songs better if I judge them based on the 2nd way of looking at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nah you couldnt give it 5/5 I don't think. 3 or 4 out of 5 is more like it. Humbug is still their best album in my book.

I do like Humbug but for me suck it and see is their best work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I lasted til song 6 and felt the need to turn it off. Might give it another few tries, but first impressions are very far from good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Different Strokes for Different folks, you might not find it a 5/5 but many might do, I loved it but I can see why some might not. I knew it be such a split opinion album, the good thing is they've given a few months before they tour here for the album to settle. I'm surprised many were expecting AM2 cause the band don't repeat themselves with any of their albums.

• Advertisement

They are the sort of band where having expectations or preconceptions about what the next album is going to be like is always going to leave you a bit dissapointed I think. I think this one is a grower though and people need to give it a good few listens over a few days to really figure it out.
    ricero wrote: »
    I do like Humbug but for me suck it and see is their best work

I love suck it and see as well. For me they are like Radiohead in that I find it very hard to rate their albums in order of preference because they're all so good.

Advertisement