Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas/Metro lines we might like.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That orange loop around the city would be brilliant hits lots of good interchange points along with a lot of useful spots for people working

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Consonata wrote: »
    Ultimate crayonism, but this sort of map makes me drool. Combined proposals for Ireland2040 + Metro West and a few things.

x1gmery4kgd11.jpg

Taken from Reddit

Still no service to rathfarnham! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

tom1ie wrote: »

First thought that jumped out at me. Think it looks great but a sw spur would make it world class.

Even if they did a shorter sw spur to link in with the metro 1 line from say rathfarnham to kilmacud this would be grand imo as folks near the spur station like balinteer,knocklyon etc would be able to get to the city centre from there.

Not that it matters as I’m sure most of us are skeptical of that all happening but if it did I’d imagine the amount of road space opened up could make the buses a lot better even without busconnects.

salmocab wrote: »
    Not that it matters as I’m sure most of us are skeptical of that all happening but if it did I’d imagine the amount of road space opened up could make the buses a lot better even without busconnects.

It would indeed make bus services much better in all of the suburbs bar the sw.
    There wouldn’t really be much of a cumulative effect in the sw area if this map was built as people are still going to drive the most direct route from where they live to where they need to go if there is no other reliable, frequent option close by.

• Advertisement

It would indeed make bus services much better in all of the suburbs bar the sw.
    There wouldn’t really be much of a cumulative effect in the sw area if this map was built as people are still going to drive the most direct route from where they live to where they need to go if there is no other reliable, frequent option close by.

Well people from further out would have in some cases a better option and some people would shift their route to the next one along, I’m not saying it’s ideal but would certainly be a lot better than it is now.

salmocab wrote: »
    Well people from further out would have in some cases a better option and some people would shift their route to the next one along, I’m not saying it’s ideal but would certainly be a lot better than it is now.

It might make some difference but not as much as giving the sw area a dedicated rail service which it doesn’t have but badly needs. Anyway this subject has been done to death on here so I’ll leave it at that before the “anti sw corridor access to rail brigade” start getting on to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

It might make some difference but not as much as giving the sw area a dedicated rail service which it doesn’t have but badly needs. Anyway this subject has been done to death on here so I’ll leave it at that before the “anti sw corridor access to rail brigade” start getting on to me!

There simply has to be a provision asap for a metro going towards the sw, whether it is a spur or a proper metro line.

I think it will be either metro 2 or 3 - it is possible that the metro west could be picked before it but i would do the sw spur first personally.

There simply has to be a provision asap for a metro going towards the sw, whether it is a spur or a proper metro line.

I think it will be either metro 2 or 3 - it is possible that the metro west could be picked before it but i would do the sw spur first personally.

Careful now. There are those on this forum and other infrastructure forum’s that are vehemently opposed to the idea of providing rail based pt to established areas where other forms of pt won’t deliver the kinds of frequency and capacity underground rail will.
    Metro seems to be for areas that are either new build or have existing rail services that can either be upgraded or interchanged with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Careful now. There are those on this forum and other infrastructure forum’s that are vehemently opposed to the idea of providing rail based pt to established areas where other forms of pt won’t deliver the kinds of frequency and capacity underground rail will.
    Metro seems to be for areas that are either new build or have existing rail services that can either be upgraded or interchanged with.

Most on here aren't anti-SW-rail, they're anti-SW-rail-as-part-of-Metrolink. I'm fully convinced that the SW corridor can only be solved with a Metro, but not as part of the Metrolink.

At least, that's my thinking on it anyway.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Most on here aren't anti-SW-rail, they're anti-SW-rail-as-part-of-Metrolink. I'm fully convinced that the SW corridor can only be solved with a Metro, but not as part of the Metrolink.

I’m not sure anyone on here is against a SW metro, maybe one or two cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Ultimate crayonism, but this sort of map makes me drool. Combined proposals for Ireland2040 + Metro West and a few things.

Taken from Reddit

Have you a link by any chance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

x1gmery4kgd11.jpg

Taken from Reddit

No mention of Clongriffin, nor of a Dart Spur to the Airport. I wonder why, as it has been studied for yonks by IR.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No mention of Clongriffin, nor of a Dart Spur to the Airport. I wonder why, as it has been studied for yonks by IR.

I would imagine the DART spur is off the table now with the Metrolink, Tara St Interchange and the Glasnevin Interchange for the other lines.

I would imagine it'll be down the priority list, at least until further tracks are added to the northern line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

marno21 wrote: »
    I would imagine the DART spur is off the table now with the Metrolink, Tara St Interchange and the Glasnevin Interchange for the other lines.

I would imagine it'll be down the priority list, at least until further tracks are added to the northern line

I'd imagine any DART spur would be dependent on the Connolly bottleneck being sorted out completely, i.e a tunnel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Qrt wrote: »
    I'd imagine any DART spur would be dependent on the Connolly bottleneck being sorted out completely, i.e a tunnel.

The Connelly bottleneck 100%, but even after that additional tracking will be required on the northern line before that level of expansion.

Trying to do too much with two tracks in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »
    The Connelly bottleneck 100%, but even after that additional tracking will be required on the northern line before that level of expansion.

Trying to do too much with two tracks in Dublin

If the where to put extra tracks down on the northern line would you be looking at cpos in places due to tight spaces?

roadmaster wrote: »
    If the where to put extra tracks down on the northern line would you be looking at cpos in places due to tight spaces?

You'd be looking at CPO'ing back gardens and other stuff because we were bleedin' thicks and didn't plan for the future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CatInABox wrote: »

Yes and not even anti-SW-rail as part of a future spur from Metrolink. Just anti trying to at best delay and at worst getting Metrolink cancelled by trying to lob an extra billion+ spur on Metrolink! Build Metrolink now and start planning for a SW spur once building starts on that.

It shows Metrolink going from the Airport to DART at Donabate. That would serve much the same purpose as the DART spur.

While IR have talked about the DART spur for yonks. The DoT/NTA/TII have never seemed to favour that project and when they studied it as an alternative to Metro North, it didn't really add up, ontop of all the issues around Connolly that need sorting first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

bk wrote: »

It shows Metrolink going from the Airport to DART at Donabate. That would serve much the same purpose as the DART spur.

While IR have talked about the DART spur for yonks. The DoT/NTA/TII have never seemed to favour that project and when they studied it as an alternative to Metro North, it didn't really add up, ontop of all the issues around Connolly that need sorting first.

The point I am making is no Clongriffin station on the map.

The spur could be built quickly and cheaply now, and be useful a decade before the Donabate connection which is not even a twinkle in the eyes of NTA. The Metrolink terminates at Estuary - some few km short of Donabate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I dont think there would be any need for a DART spur if Metrolink is built it shouldn't be a priority a nice extra maybe but not a priority.

To avoid the Connolly bottleneck getting any worse after the Balbriggan and Maynooth extensions are built and when the 10 minute frequency is implemented would be that trains on the Northern Line including Darts would have to terminate in Connolly.

This would mean trains would run from Bray/Greystones to Maynooth and Connolly to Balbriggan/Howth aswell as Northern line commuters, PPT services and Western commuters from Longford and Mullingar would have to terminate in Connolly rather than Pearse or GCD. Work would need to be done in Connolly to facilitate more terminating trains and more platforms would probably have to be built.

With a 10 minute DART frequency having to change onto a dart to get to Tara, Pearse or GCD shouldn't be too big an issue.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I dont think there would be any need for a DART spur if Metrolink is built it shouldn't be a priority a nice extra maybe but not a priority.

To avoid the Connolly bottleneck getting any worse after the Balbriggan and Maynooth extensions are built and when the 10 minute frequency is implemented would be that trains on the Northern Line including Darts would have to terminate in Connolly.

This would mean trains would run from Bray/Greystones to Maynooth and Connolly to Balbriggan/Howth aswell as Northern line commuters, PPT services and Western commuters from Longford and Mullingar would have to terminate in Connolly rather than Pearse or GCD. Work would need to be done in Connolly to facilitate more terminating trains and more platforms would probably have to be built.

With a 10 minute DART frequency having to change onto a dart to get to Tara, Pearse or GCD shouldn't be too big an issue.

Wouldn't they need to build more platforms to the west to avoid Maynooth line trains from crossing the DART tracks?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The spur could be built quickly and cheaply now, and be useful a decade before the Donabate connection which is not even a twinkle in the eyes of NTA. The Metrolink terminates at Estuary - some few km short of Donabate.

I agree that the route should be protected now. But there is no point in building the spur now with the congestion issues around Connolly and the Northern line, they will need to be sorted first. And by the time that is done, Metrolink will likely be done or nearing completion and extending Metro to meet the DART line will make more sense then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Wouldn't they need to build more platforms to the west to avoid Maynooth line trains from crossing the DART tracks?

Sligo and Longford trains could depart from platform 7. Perhaps all Longford trains could be moved to Docklands. Platform 2, 3 and 4 could be used to serve Northern Line services and Northbound Darts.

bk wrote: »

I agree that the route should be protected now. But there is no point in building the spur now with the congestion issues around Connolly and the Northern line, they will need to be sorted first. And by the time that is done, Metrolink will likely be done or nearing completion and extending Metro to meet the DART line will make more sense then.

If the go-ahead was given for the spur, it could be built quickly (because it is over open countryside with only seven land owners (iirc) and could be built with the Metrolink plans in mind. Howth Jnct to Howth could be a shuttle, and Airport to Connolly be limited stop.

Now, at this stage the plans for the spur are gone yellow they are so old, but the route should be protected, and the land purchased. It could be built as metro as a shuttle if that fitted in with Metrolink plans.

The spur was costed at €200 million, which is small change compared with Metrolink, with a construction time of a few years from the start. Metrolink is a decade away.

If the go-ahead was given for the spur, it could be built quickly (because it is over open countryside with only seven land owners (iirc) and could be built with the Metrolink plans in mind. Howth Jnct to Howth could be a shuttle, and Airport to Connolly be limited stop.

Now, at this stage the plans for the spur are gone yellow they are so old, but the route should be protected, and the land purchased. It could be built as metro as a shuttle if that fitted in with Metrolink plans.

The spur was costed at €200 million, which is small change compared with Metrolink, with a construction time of a few years from the start. Metrolink is a decade away.

The route for the spur is effectively sterilised as it's on the approach to runway 28/runway 10 departure so wouldn't be useful for development

The viability of the spur especially with the current congestion along the line it would spur from is the major issue here

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

One out to Blanch shopping centre and ending in Clonee would be useful but would need serious security as area is full of scum

sm3ar wrote: »
    One out to Blanch shopping centre and ending in Clonee would be useful but would need serious security as area is full of scum

Leaving the last bit aside, I can't see any major demand for it once the DART expansion and BusConnects is completed. Is there much development in Blanch? I know Hansfield/Ongar is developing a bit, but afaik the Meath border limits some expansion?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Leaving the last bit aside, I can't see any major demand for it once the DART expansion and BusConnects is completed. Is there much development in Blanch? I know Hansfield/Ongar is developing a bit, but afaik the Meath border limits some expansion?

No one wants buses, it’s tracks on the ground we need. Is the dart being expanded out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

x1gmery4kgd11.jpg

Taken from Reddit

Imagine getting that Luas black line from Lucan good god no. That plan needs to die a death.

Advertisement