Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Lawn with lots of roots

Options
  • 09-04-2018 10:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Moved into a new house. The lawn needs to be done.

I bought the Lidl tiller but what I am finding is that there is a mass of roots under the ground. Keeps getting clogged up.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

- How big are the roots, and are there hundreds or thousands of them?
    - Are they alive or dead?
    - If alive, are they connected to something somebody cares about?
    - Are you happy to live with some gentle undulations in the surface developing over time?
    - What's the drainage like?

If big, you might be able to pull them out by hand (along their length) with the help of a pickaxe or mattock, but that gets boring very quickly, and using a pickaxe is extremely tiring.

Quick options are a digger or just cover over with new soil.

It's amazing what an experienced digger operator can do in a couple of hours. I had a couple of hundred sqm of very rough ground done last year, including a load of stumps and roots, and the digger can't have been at it more than a few hours. He mostly used a single prong attachment, going at it like a scorpion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lawn is about 10mx30m

Lawn has hedges on all sides. It was also recently cleared of trees, bushes, hedges etc etc. Roots still alive. Some small. Some large.

Ideally I'd want a flat garden.

Drainage is good. No ponding etc.

I know about boring. I've spent about 10hrs digging, tilling, fixing the tiller repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Given that topsoil and digger options cost serious money, maybe just hire a heavy duty rotovator.

http://www.azhire.ie/rotavator-rotovators-garden-tiller,offer/

Even with delivery it's going to be the cheapest option.

(in my experience azhire don't have the best prices, I'm just linking as they have a decent website)

Advertisement