Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id required for travel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Ryanair at least always seem to want passport ID for flights within & between Britain & Ireland, I know that wasn't the case for Aer Lingus a few years back, London to Dublin.

You should really check with your prospective airline before booking to find out their latest policies in ID for travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

dedaw wrote: »
    Can I piggy back this thread with a question please?
    What ID would be needed to fly from Dublin to Kerry? If any. For adults and kids.
    Thanks.

It's a domestic flight, so Aer Lingus will accept practically anything with your photo on it.
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

We also don't have a recognised national id.

Yes we do that is what the passport card is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

trellheim wrote: »
    Yes we do that is what the passport card is for.

The passport card is just another form of a passport, it's not a national ID card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://www.passportappointments.ie/

May (with much emphasis) get it in time. Tho do you really wanna be hanging on the last day hoping it comes with bags packed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

CiniO wrote: »
    But as part of EU, Ireland must recognise national ID's from other EU countries.

Not that it makes any difference for OP.

Re Passports v National ID for EU travel, I would assume it to be the same for all EU Schengan signees, though the 90 day limit is interesting.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/france/passports/top-passport-questions/to-travel-between-country-and-ireland/

Do I need a passport to travel between Ireland and France?
    Irish citizens travelling between France and Ireland must hold a valid passport.

For French citizens wishing to travel to Ireland, a valid national identity card or passport is necessary. The passport or identification card should be valid for the duration of the stay. An identity card is permissible for a stay of less than 90 days. For longer periods, a valid passport is necessary.

Only valid identification cards and passports are accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....The UK doesnt require a passport on arrival if youre irish (so same as crosing border at Newry or Newtonbutler) but EVERYWHERE else in the world requires you to have a passport.
    It's not just Northern Ireland. Many land borders do not require a passport. I've cycled across borders many times in various European countries and was never asked for a passport or any form of identification.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is often an assumption that you will be carrying your national ID in those cases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It's not just Northern Ireland. Many land borders do not require a passport. I've cycled across borders many times in various European countries and was never asked for a passport or any form of identification.

Yes, but that's not the same because you'll have travelled from one Schengen country to another.

If you fly from Dublin to, for example, Munich, you will be required to produce your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Fact that you were not asked for it, doesn't mean you didn't need to have it.

Every person crossing any country border in EU must have valid passport or National ID with them.
    Fact that in Schengen zone they are usually not checked doesn't releive you from obligation of having them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Yes, but that's not the same because you'll have travelled from one Schengen country to another.

If you fly from Dublin to, for example, Munich, you will be required to produce your passport.

True. Always when travelling from Ireland to Schengen zone you are meant to be asked for passport or national ID.

In practice though many times I took ferry from dublin to Holyhead and then Dover to Calais/Dunkirk and wasn't asked for passport or ID, which effectively allowed me to enter Schengen zone without showing my passport or ID.

Not that it's allowed, but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, but that's not the same because you'll have travelled from one Schengen country to another....
    Point taken - my ignorance.
    Fact that you were not asked for it, doesn't mean you didn't need to have it....
    Any borders I crossed didn't have any border personnel so there was no one to ask me in the first place (i.e. most of my land crossings were on high mountain passes).

In saying that, I wasn't aware that I should have had a passport on me. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

tricky D wrote: »
    By law Spanish hotels require a passport number and name for foreigner guests and this info is forwarded to the police. Spanish national id is fine for Spanish nationals.
    Surely hotels must be satisfied with national id instead of passport.
    Hardly any EU citizens travel within EU with a passport (except from Irish and British people where national IDs are not issued)
    tricky D wrote: »
    Hotels have no leeway as it is a legal requirement.
    I honestly don't believe hotels in Spain wouldn't accept national ID from any EU country.
    By doing so, they couldn't accomodate majority of people travelling from EU, as most of those people travel without passport, and many of then don't even hold a passport.

Bollocks. A national ID card from an EU/EEA county is equivalent to a passport. It is a citizenship document which is only issued to citizens of that country. Spain are not the only country who requires hotel guests to submit ID at reception.

My Irish passport card has been accepted all over Europe. So has my Dutch friend's national ID card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ahhhh for forks sake!

Have a great time. Bring her something nice home.

There's no need to snarky comments like that. I'm sure the OP is upset enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

The Irish Passport Card is a "Supplement" to the actual passport and not a passport in its own right ( this is why its validity can't go beyond your big passport dates) - doesn't work outside the EU/associated EU nations . It is akin to a National ID and is accepted by the other EU states as a "travel document"

see http://www.consilium.europa.eu/prado/en/prado-documents/irl/index.html

you will see that the Card is a travel document and not a passport.

Advertisement