Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike shop that will order in bikes

Options
  • 09-04-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know of a bike shop that could/would order in a Calibre Bossnut V2  or Jamis Dakar A2. Would like to use the bike to work scheme but have to buy a bike in store with a cheque. :getlost:

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A lot of the independent bike shops will do this. I got my LBS to order in a cannondale for me in Jan. I know what I wanted and they got it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Neither of those links in your post work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Neither of those links in your post work.
    Should be sorted now, brackets were messing with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

were you hoping your LBS could order that calibre bike based on the RRP or the sale price there?

I think it's always been at the sale price, never seen it at RRP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I would say you'd want a good relationship with the bike shop for them to go to the bother of them to order a bike that they're not the authorised reseller of and not part of their existing stock!
    godtabh wrote: »
    A lot of the independent bike shops will do this. I got my LBS to order in a cannondale for me in Jan. I know what I wanted and they got it for me.
    - Genuine question, what's in it for the bike shop, i.e. how do they make money from this transaction?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I would say you'd want a good relationship with the bike shop for them to go to the bother of them to order a bike that they're not the authorised reseller of and not part of their existing stock!
    godtabh wrote: »
    - Genuine question, what's in it for the bike shop, i.e. how do they make money from this transaction?

I'd happily pay €50-100 to get €520 off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You might be better off seeing if they, and your employer will facilitate the scheme through them.

LBS is giving themself some extra work there in terms of getting a VAT refund (I think) and then adding the local VAT on. Different if they are buying from a wholesaler I imagine or if these placed to business to business selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would agree with Weepsie. Buying from a distributor at trade price is different than buying from a retailer and then reselling with a slight mark up.

There would not be a lot in it for the shop and they may never see you again for spare parts or servicing. Under the sale of goods act they would be involved if there was a warranty issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Daniel S wrote: »
    I'd happily pay €50-100 to get €520 off.

There is no way that a bike shop would go through that grief for €50 ... they would be nuts to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, i was humming and hawing over what i wanted a couple of years back, and was up in humphries once or twice, asking about steel frames. they'd nothing in stock in my size (a few nice frames a bit too big for me) but old man humphries (jimmy?) said to me if i knew what i wanted, they'd order it in for me.
    i ended up buying a secondhand genesis through a poster here.

Advertisement