Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Ride Flanders 2019

Options
  • 09-04-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭

Interested in doing the We Ride Flanders in 2019, I picked either the 139km or the 180km as what I would like to do as from cycling over there last I know how tough the cobbles are.
    I see it starts and finish's in Oudenaarde, there would be a group of about 4 of us and I have been giving the task of planning it all, we would need accommodation , bikes and transport. (Hoping to rent the bikes to save hassle).

I seen a good few tour operators doing all in trips but they seem expensive enough but do save so much hassle.

Has anyone any tips ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

I went over with go4cycling this year and they had the hotel in Kortrijk. They are a very well run outfit. Hired a bike as well from them. Just sent over my bike fit measurements and the bike was all set up and ready to go when I arrived at the hotel.
    As part of the basic package they also bring you to the start and finish of the pro race and 3 spots in between plus they supply beer for the bus.
    The start was excellent as we got into the team zone where all the buses are located so go to see all the bikes etc.
    It costs a bit but all the hassle is taken out of it. The only drawback is the evening meal is not part of the package but there are plenty of spots to eat within walking distance of the hotel in Kortrijk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks very much - did they transport you and the bikes then from Kortrijk to the start line and back again that evening ?

No bother, package included airport transfers and transport to and from the start in Oudenaarde along with bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I travelled independently to this last week. I drove: Rosslare-Cherbourg with Irish Ferries.

Brought the wife and kids for a family break.

Stayed in Waregem, about a 25min drive from Oudenaarde. Could have cycled it but would have meant leaving the accommodation during darkness to make the start. Absolutely no problem finding parking in Oudenaarde either for check-in on Fri, the event on Sat or the race on Sun (parked up in Oudenaarde at about 11:30 and took a free shuttle to the Paterberg).

Google maps estimated my Cherbourg-Waregem drive to be between 4.5 and 5.5 hours. It was closer to 7.5 and that was without a lot of congestion. If going again I might go Rosslare-Pembroke, drive to Folkestone and take the Chunnel, or try your plan and fly out and hire a bike ( I have an unusually conservative fit on my bike and a history of back trouble so I'm reluctant to chance a rental!).

The 174 started and finished in Oudenaarde this year (in previous years this distance started in Antwerp). I didn't want the hassle of shuttling between start and finish cities so went with that option. Great day on the bike: probably my most enjoyable. I was "on my own" but there were so many participants that I was never "on my own" on the road. The cobbles and bergs are hard going but all very doable-nothing so long I couldn't grind my way over it! Food stops were frequent and good.

I just found a 3 bedroom house for rent for 4 days around next year's event for €770 on booking.com! If you book this early you'll find a place. This year's event was Easter Sat so probably increased demand for places/accommodation.

I went to the Paterberg on Sun with my young fella and we had a great time. Saw the race twice and the women's race once. In hindsight we could have seen the men on their first time up Oude Kwaremont and then walked to the Paterberg and seen them twice more.

I was driving so no booze for me but there was easy access to beer tents and junk food on the Paterberg and plenty brought their own!

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

jamesd wrote: »
    Interested in doing the We Ride Flanders in 2019, I picked either the 139km or the 180km as what I would like to do as from cycling over there last I know how tough the cobbles are.
    I see it starts and finish's in Oudenaarde, there would be a group of about 4 of us and I have been giving the task of planning it all, we would need accommodation , bikes and transport. (Hoping to rent the bikes to save hassle).

I seen a good few tour operators doing all in trips but they seem expensive enough but do save so much hassle.

Has anyone any tips ?

Check your FB Messenger dude :D

• Advertisement

Red Belly wrote: »
    I travelled independently to this last week. I drove: Rosslare-Cherbourg with Irish Ferries.

Brought the wife and kids for a family break.

Stayed in Waregem, about a 25min drive from Oudenaarde. Could have cycled it but would have meant leaving the accommodation during darkness to make the start. Absolutely no problem finding parking in Oudenaarde either for check-in on Fri, the event on Sat or the race on Sun (parked up in Oudenaarde at about 11:30 and took a free shuttle to the Paterberg).

Google maps estimated my Cherbourg-Waregem drive to be between 4.5 and 5.5 hours. It was closer to 7.5 and that was without a lot of congestion. If going again I might go Rosslare-Pembroke, drive to Folkestone and take the Chunnel, or try your plan and fly out and hire a bike ( I have an unusually conservative fit on my bike and a history of back trouble so I'm reluctant to chance a rental!).

The 174 started and finished in Oudenaarde this year (in previous years this distance started in Antwerp). I didn't want the hassle of shuttling between start and finish cities so went with that option. Great day on the bike: probably my most enjoyable. I was "on my own" but there were so many participants that I was never "on my own" on the road. The cobbles and bergs are hard going but all very doable-nothing so long I couldn't grind my way over it! Food stops were frequent and good.

I just found a 3 bedroom house for rent for 4 days around next year's event for €770 on booking.com! If you book this early you'll find a place. This year's event was Easter Sat so probably increased demand for places/accommodation.

I went to the Paterberg on Sun with my young fella and we had a great time. Saw the race twice and the women's race once. In hindsight we could have seen the men on their first time up Oude Kwaremont and then walked to the Paterberg and seen them twice more.

I was driving so no booze for me but there was easy access to beer tents and junk food on the Paterberg and plenty brought their own!

rb

I was wondering alright would Oudenaarde be total chaos on the Saturday for parking, good now to know it isnt as we wondered about renting a car at the airport but renting bikes and also staying in the same location which would suit to be near the start was the issue as we only planned to rent a small car.

No bother, package included airport transfers and transport to and from the start in Oudenaarde along with bikes.
    PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

I went over with go4cycling this year and they had the hotel in Kortrijk. They are a very well run outfit. Hired a bike as well from them. Just sent over my bike fit measurements and the bike was all set up and ready to go when I arrived at the hotel.
    As part of the basic package they also bring you to the start and finish of the pro race and 3 spots in between plus they supply beer for the bus.
    The start was excellent as we got into the team zone where all the buses are located so go to see all the bikes etc.
    It costs a bit but all the hassle is taken out of it. The only drawback is the evening meal is not part of the package but there are plenty of spots to eat within walking distance of the hotel in Kortrijk.

Can you remember a ballpark cost for this per person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Went in 2012 or 2013. Stayed in Gent. Brought our own bikes. Cycled out to Oudenarde to sign on the night before. Cycled back. Cycled out that morning and did the race. Kept to the mid distance. Was told the full distance was a bit boring for the first section. Train back to Gent after cos we were wrecked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement