Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comment Reposting

Options
  • 09-04-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

I came across the following advisory regarding the reposting of posts etc
    Taking posts from other threads/forums to throw at a poster is not the done thing on Boards and generally viewed as being out of order."

See:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056597193/9/#post78365512*

Having checked boards.ie site rules and boards.ie guidelines. I can find no mention of this here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_whatis#faq_bie_faq_whatis_siterules

Or here

[Url]ttps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq[/url]

Are there any current boards guidelines which states that this form of posting is prohibited?

Reason I am asking is that I have came across this issue recently and there appears to be no guidelines for same.

Thanks.

*I have nothing to do with that particular thread. I am using as an example only
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think we have any specific rule against it, but it could fall under other areas. Me (or one of the team) can come back to you on this as I'll need to refresh myself.

Thinking out loud - it would kinda hinge on why Poster A felt that pulling in Poster B's prior comments was justified. Sometimes it could be informative to the debate or discussion. Sometimes, it could simply be to cause disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dudara wrote: »
    I don't think we have any specific rule against it, but it could fall under other areas. Me (or one of the team) can come back to you on this as I'll need to refresh myself.

Thinking out loud - it would kinda hinge on why Poster A felt that pulling in Poster B's prior comments was justified. Sometimes it could be informative to the debate or discussion. Sometimes, it could simply be to cause disruption.

Ok thanks for that. I couldn't find any recent guideline on the above advisory. In relation to context- obviously where reposting was used in a negative manner / causing disruption as in the example above.

As a heads up I asked a related question a few years back in relation to quoting from DR threads but forgot to follow that up any further hence my current question.

See
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057196095

Shield advised that quoting from DR was effectively verboten.

If there are no current rules regarding reposting comments - I would request that the issue of negative reposting to be considered by Feedback for inclusion within boards.ie guidelines going forward. My reason is that the aggressive reposting of comments frequently causes deliberate disruption and is very much against the spirit of discussion within boards.ie

I would be grateful in knowing any outcome of same.

Thanks

gozunda wrote: »
    If there are no current rules regarding reposting comments - I would request that the issue of negative reposting to be considered by Feedback for inclusion within boards.ie guidelines going forward. My reason is that the aggressive reposting of comments frequently causes deliberate disruption and is very much against the spirit of discussion within boards.ie

I would be grateful in knowing any outcome of same.

Thanks

Having taken some time to think about this, I don't believe that a specific rule is required to forbid this type of posting. While you would always question the motives of a poster who digs up posts from other threads, I believe a total blanket ban on the quoting of posts from other threads would be an excessive reaction to a particular problem. Let me outline why I believe this to be the case

(1) There may be perfectly valid cases to allow referral to posts in other threads. We should allow this where it makes sense and does not violate any other rules.

(2) As mentioned earlier, mods should evaluate the motivation for doing so, and make a decision accordingly. If a poster is referring to posts from other threads in an attempt to, amongst other reasons:
    (a) be disruptive
    (b) continue a spat or squabble across forums
    (c) identify another poster
    (d) just plain out "being a d*ck"
    then these are all clear violations of existing Boards rules, and mods can, and should take action accordingly.

In short, I'd prefer for mods to judge each case individually, apply common sense and make a decision accordingly. I'm not sure what your motivation is for asking this question, but I hope I have answered it satisfactorily.

Having taken some time to think about this, I don't believe that a specific rule is required to forbid this type of posting. While you would always question the motives of a poster who digs up posts from other threads, I believe a total blanket ban on the quoting of posts from other threads would be an excessive reaction to a particular problem. Let me outline why I believe this to be the case

(1) There may be perfectly valid cases to allow referral to posts in other threads. We should allow this where it makes sense and does not violate any other rules.

(2) As mentioned earlier, mods should evaluate the motivation for doing so, and make a decision accordingly. If a poster is referring to posts from other threads in an attempt to, amongst other reasons:
    (a) be disruptive
    (b) continue a spat or squabble across forums
    (c) identify another poster
    (d) just plain out "being a d*ck"
    then these are all clear violations of existing Boards rules, and mods can, and should take action accordingly.

In short, I'd prefer for mods to judge each case individually, apply common sense and make a decision accordingly. I'm not sure what your motivation is for asking this question, but I hope I have answered it satisfactorily.

Thanks dudara for the reasoned reply and update.

Reason is that I have came across a poster who repeatedly did this and somehow seemed to get away with it even where it was plainly out of context and used negatively.

I found the first advisory from that old post recently and it reminded me of the previous enquiry which states the same ie that reposting of comments in that way is out of order / not permitted especially doing so with comments posted in helpdesk / dr.

It's just a bit confusing that despite the above advisories there is no official guidance contained within the site rules etc about this :confused:

gozunda wrote: »
    Thanks dudara for the reasoned reply and update.

Reason is that I have came across a poster who repeatedly did this and somehow seemed to get away with it even where it was plainly out of context and used negatively.

I know it's a line that I repeat often, but please use Report Post so that mods are alerted to it, and and can review.
    I found the first advisory from that old post recently and it reminded me of the previous enquiry which states the same ie that reposting of comments in that way is not permitted especially comments posted in helpdesk / dr.
    I am happy for mods to judge as they see fit. Helpdesk, Feedback and DRP are where emotions can run high, and the individual forum mods might believe that it is not helpful in those situations
    It's just a bit confusing that there is no official guidance contained within the site rules etc about this :confused:

I don't think it's confusing at all. If a poster is doing this to drag a spat around, or to be a d*ck, then that's against the rules. There is little benefit in trying to detail everything into rules. Better to operate within the spirit of the law and save our efforts for the really common cases that do require rules.

• Advertisement

I know it's a line that I repeat often, but please use Report Post so that mods are alerted to it, and and can review.

I am happy for mods to judge as they see fit. Helpdesk, Feedback and DRP are where emotions can run high, and the individual forum mods might believe that it is not helpful in those situations

I don't think it's confusing at all. If a poster is doing this to drag a spat around, or to be a d*ck, then that's against the rules. There is little benefit in trying to detail everything into rules. Better to operate within the spirit of the law and save our efforts for the really common cases that do require rules.

As detailed this is a suggestion for the feedback forum so I don't want to get too bogged down into it. But I would make some observations from above.

I agree about reporting- unfortunately that does not always appear to fix such issues

And yes I would agree that such behaviour in spirit is against 'The rules' however in my experience some of those who engage in such behaviour attempt to evade those rules exactly because it is 'not a rule' to do so and are if you excuse my hiberno-english - are proverbial cute hoors. In another thread re.
    Attack the post vs. Attack the poster you refered to
    dudara wrote:
    See “The Argument Pyramid”. High quality debate happens at the upper levels, but Boards also has a lot of debate taking place at the lower levels also

In my experience there are those who are well able to work that to their own ends.

Anyway not to go too far off field - I do believe that such a boards advisory (not necessarily a 'rule') would at least allow the issue to be dealt with summarily.

I appreciate all the responses btw.

Advertisement