Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Liverpool - Ticket Scramble etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Weird they didn't show any stats during fight. Octagon control for till however like to see some of those stats.

Great atmosphere some nice fights on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Weird they didn't show any stats during fight. Octagon control for till however like to see some of those stats.

They showed sig strikes when it was 41-37 to wb. That's all I saw but then there didn't seem to be much in the way of live stats for any fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

JoeyJJ wrote: »

They did and had Thompson well ahead on significant strikes landed. Octogan control isn't as important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭The White Feather

They did and had Thompson well ahead on significant strikes landed. Octogan control isn't as important.

Ok I missed that and totally recognise that it has dropped in Signficance more in new rules. I had it wonderboy

• Advertisement

Gas looking at the idiots arguing with John. They seem to think the whole fight is scored when it's over rather than round by round.

Gone well off Thompson anyway brilliant fighter but not a style I enjoy watching anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The win is definitely soured by the weight issues mind. There's not enough punishment for those who miss weight. Okay Till loses 30% of his money but within 20 minutes no one will remember that he didn't make weight and he'll fly up the rankings.

Wonderboy must be gutted. He had little to gain from this fight anyway but yet went into enemy territory, took the fight despite Till missing weight badly, lost a razor thin decision that many seem to think he should have won, and took it all with class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Paully D wrote: »
    The win is definitely soured by the weight issues mind. There's not enough punishment for those who miss weight. Okay Till loses 30% of his money but within 20 minutes no one will remember that he didn't make weight and he'll fly up the rankings.

Wonderboy must be gutted. He had little to gain from this fight anyway but yet went into enemy territory, took the fight despite Till missing weight badly, lost a razor thin decision that many seem to think he should have won, and took it all with class.

In fairness to thompson, hes in a weird spot, he needs someone to beat woodley to get another title shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well maybe it's because I didn't have the commentary, or maybe because I was swayed by the atmosphere.

But I scored it 4 rounds to 1 for Till. I'll need to watch it again when I get home but it felt like Wonderboy was constantly backing off and not landing many more shots than Till.

At the risk of disagreeing with the legendary Big John, Octagon control IS one of the judging factors. Not the only one, so he's right in saying that control doesn't give you the win. But it is one of the factors. As is aggression which Till showed far more of.

Ps, I've just been catching up on the posts here and having a giggle to myself at those complaining about BT censoring the language.

Did the full SeeyounextTuesday of Till's interview see the air?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The stats on the UFC website show Till out struck Wonderboy.

Round 1: 5-4 (5-4 Sig) Wonderboy
    Round 2: 6-9 (6-9 Sig) Till
    Round 3: 8-9 (8-9 Sig) Till
    Round 3: 8-7 (8-7 Sig) Wonderboy
    Round 3: 4-11 (3-9 Sig) Till

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well maybe it's because I didn't have the commentary, or maybe because I was swayed by the atmosphere.

But I scored it 4 rounds to 1 for Till. I'll need to watch it again when I get home but it felt like Wonderboy was constantly backing off and not landing many more shots than Till.

At the risk of disagreeing with the legendary Big John, Octagon control IS one of the judging factors. Not the only one, so he's right in saying that control doesn't give you the win. But it is one of the factors. As is aggression which Till showed far more of.

Ps, I've just been catching up on the posts here and having a giggle to myself at those complaining about BT censoring the language.

Did the full SeeyounextTuesday of Till's interview see the air?

They may as well not have bothered interviewing him, I only heard about 3 words of his interview the rest was cut.

The stats on the UFC website show Till out struck Wonderboy.

Round 1: 5-4 (5-4 Sig) Wonderboy
    Round 2: 6-9 (6-9 Sig) Till
    Round 3: 8-9 (8-9 Sig) Till
    Round 3: 8-7 (8-7 Sig) Wonderboy
    Round 3: 4-11 (3-9 Sig) Till

At the stage they showed the stats Wonderboy was outstriking him I'm sure I heard it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

At the stage they showed the stats Wonderboy was outstriking him I'm sure I heard it

It was very close anyway, like he was only outstriking him by 3-4 overall.

I think ye're being very harsh on Till, there's been much more controversial decisions in the past imo.

They may as well not have bothered interviewing him, I only heard about 3 words of his interview the rest was cut.
    Sounds about right, lol.

Half a dozen Fs and a C thrown in for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Is there even a transcript of the interview?

Sounds about right, lol.

Half a dozen Fs and a C thrown in for the craic.

They literally blanked out whole sentences. It was pretty annoying.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Is there even a transcript of the interview?

Here's a video with curses beeped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzBzdmT6N0U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Poorly scored. But no doubt now that Till is to be reckoned with. If he can make championship weight. Big if. It'll need to be sooner rather than later. Dana might give him a pop at interim winner, serious size advantage over RDA. I suspect he'll be less competitive at 185, unlike say Whitaker or Gastelum.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Let me get this right ,

So Till misses welterweight limit (170) by 3.5lbs then is allowed to fight Wonderboy at near on 3lbs above the middleweight limit(185)

How is that even a thing ????

• Advertisement

ianob7 wrote: »
    Let me get this right ,

So Till misses welterweight limit (170) by 3.5lbs then is allowed to fight Wonderboy at near on 3lbs above the middleweight limit(185)

Bear in mind that Wonderboy also cut lots of weight to make the 171 limit and was probably well over 180 himself in the cage.

Almost every fighter steps into the cage massively heavier than they weighed in. Wonderboy's 188 stipulation merely stopped Till from being even bigger due to the fact that he hadn't gone all the way down to 171.

Ps regardless of the controversial decision tonight, I want to see Till vs Lawler soooo much.

Wow, 22 out of 24 scores on MMA Decisions so far have the nod to Wonderboy.

I'm really going to have to sit down and watch it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Paully D wrote: »
    Wow, 22 out of 24 scores on MMA Decisions so far have the nod to Wonderboy.

I'm really going to have to sit down and watch it back.

Fair play, not enough time on this earth for me do that.

Fair play, not enough time on this earth for me do that.

I am a very sad man. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bear in mind that Wonderboy also cut lots of weight to make the 171 limit and was probably well over 180 himself in the cage.

Almost every fighter steps into the cage massively heavier than they weighed in. Wonderboy's 188 stipulation merely stopped Till from being even bigger due to the fact that he hadn't gone all the way down to 171.

I think Helwani mentioned on Twitter earlier that Wonderboy's walking around weight is around 186/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    I never took notice of who judges fights on UK cards before, but surely three British judges in a fight like that was a poor decision? Or is the commission over there only allowed to use their own?
    What commission?
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Let me get this right ,

Most welterweight fighters would walk to the cage slightly above 185.

Oh yeah, l know everybody comes in like on average 10-15 lbs heavier than weigh in weight

What I was referring to was it makes an absolute mockery of the weight classes themselves to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What I was referring to was it makes an absolute mockery of the weight classes themselves to begin with
    Fighters have their livelihood on the line, they are going to push every edge and would be incredible dumb not to. Nobody is doing it to make a mockery of anything. Unless alternative rules are proposed, they are right to do it imo.
    Obviously that means actually having to make the weight

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    Fighters have their livelihood on the line, they are going to push every edge and would be incredible dumb not to. Nobody is doing it to make a mockery of anything. Unless alternative rules are proposed, they are right to do it imo. Obviously that means actually having to make the weight

I'm not blaming fighters at all . Of course they're gonna take any advantage they can .

We need more weight classes

UFC allowing it makes a mockery of the weight divisions is what I'm saying....

Is it normally broadcast like that ?? Don't think I've seen a 2nd weight been mentioned before . I.E the till 2nd weight 187.5

Advertisement