Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Liverpool - Ticket Scramble etc

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ianob7 wrote: »
    Let me get this right ,

So Till misses welterweight limit (170) by 3.5lbs then is allowed to fight Wonderboy at near on 3lbs above the middleweight limit(185)

How is that even a thing ????
    Bear in mind that Wonderboy also cut lots of weight to make the 171 limit and was probably well over 180 himself in the cage.

Almost every fighter steps into the cage massively heavier than they weighed in. Wonderboy's 188 stipulation merely stopped Till from being even bigger due to the fact that he hadn't gone all the way down to 171.

Ps regardless of the controversial decision tonight, I want to see Till vs Lawler soooo much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wow, 22 out of 24 scores on MMA Decisions so far have the nod to Wonderboy.

I'm really going to have to sit down and watch it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Paully D wrote: »
    Wow, 22 out of 24 scores on MMA Decisions so far have the nod to Wonderboy.

I'm really going to have to sit down and watch it back.

Fair play, not enough time on this earth for me do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fair play, not enough time on this earth for me do that.

I am a very sad man. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Bear in mind that Wonderboy also cut lots of weight to make the 171 limit and was probably well over 180 himself in the cage.

Almost every fighter steps into the cage massively heavier than they weighed in. Wonderboy's 188 stipulation merely stopped Till from being even bigger due to the fact that he hadn't gone all the way down to 171.

I think Helwani mentioned on Twitter earlier that Wonderboy's walking around weight is around 186/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    I never took notice of who judges fights on UK cards before, but surely three British judges in a fight like that was a poor decision? Or is the commission over there only allowed to use their own?
    What commission?
    :pac::pac::pac:
    Let me get this right ,

So Till misses welterweight limit (170) by 3.5lbs then is allowed to fight Wonderboy at near on 3lbs above the middleweight limit(185)

How is that even a thing ????
    Most welterweight fighters would walk to the cage slightly above 185.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Oh yeah, l know everybody comes in like on average 10-15 lbs heavier than weigh in weight

What I was referring to was it makes an absolute mockery of the weight classes themselves to begin with

What I was referring to was it makes an absolute mockery of the weight classes themselves to begin with
    Fighters have their livelihood on the line, they are going to push every edge and would be incredible dumb not to. Nobody is doing it to make a mockery of anything. Unless alternative rules are proposed, they are right to do it imo.
    Obviously that means actually having to make the weight

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    Fighters have their livelihood on the line, they are going to push every edge and would be incredible dumb not to. Nobody is doing it to make a mockery of anything. Unless alternative rules are proposed, they are right to do it imo. Obviously that means actually having to make the weight

I'm not blaming fighters at all . Of course they're gonna take any advantage they can .

We need more weight classes

UFC allowing it makes a mockery of the weight divisions is what I'm saying....

Is it normally broadcast like that ?? Don't think I've seen a 2nd weight been mentioned before . I.E the till 2nd weight 187.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There definitely needs to be new divisions.

It should be 10lb increments all the way to 205, and I'd argue a cruiser weight division at 225 would be better for almost all heavyweights and the bigger LHW's as well (or make 225 Heavyweight and 265 "super heavyweight".

It's a rare thing that there is a second weigh in. That was just Wonderboy being clever, both punishing Till for his mistake and thereby interfering with his preparation, and also for his own good he was ensuring that Till wasn't absolutely given an ad unfair advantage of being even bigger than usual when he stepped into the cage.

That 188lb limit was a stipulation from Wonderboy's team, not the UFC.

I read that alright . Very smart on Wonderboys behalf.

What do we think till would've came in it without the weight cap ?? 195 ?

There definitely needs to be new divisions.

It should be 10lb increments all the way to 205, and I'd argue a cruiser weight division at 225 would be better for almost all heavyweights and the bigger LHW's as well (or make 225 Heavyweight and 265 "super heavyweight".

165 and 175 have to happen imo.
    225 would be perfect for most HWs but would probably cripple 265.
    In a similar fashion, I'm not sure if 205 is deep enough to create 195

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Third time seeing Wonderboy live and seen feck all action from him in those 15 rounds.

Always different when you're in the arena (especially with home fighter) but at the time I thought till did enough to shade it. Seemed much of a muchness in terms of significant strikes but at least till was trying to push the action. Have grown tired of Wonderboys style and definitely thought he's lost even the slightest bit of speed in his headkicks. Still an intriguing fight and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Overall probably not the best of cards but still enjoyed it. Not much of a buzz in the arena until the amirkahni fight, the first round was fairly crazy. Some bizarre mix of post fight interviews too.

Decent set up in the echo arena although think we had the second dearest tickets and ended up a lot further back than I was expecting.

• Advertisement

qwabercd wrote: »
    Decent set up in the echo arena although think we had the second dearest tickets and ended up a lot further back than I was expecting.
    I had the £96 tickets and thought they were great. True they were only maybe 15 rows from the back wall but they were side on to the cage so great view.

Did you have the misfortune of needing a drink? Worst venue I've ever been in for facilities. I only wanted a Coke and a bag of sweets.

Most places have separate outlets, a bar, then a food place, then a soft drinks and snacks stand.

The Echo only had one type serving everything. And nowhere near enough. Meaning that no matter what you wanted there was a 20 minute queue which would mean missing some of the fights.

I didn't bother in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

We were row a, block 5, but really wasn't the best view. Would have preferred to be side on.

Decent enough card, main event a let down but atmosphere saved it. Was electric.

Not sure what to make of Liverpool as a city. Maybe it was bad luck but seemed to be a bit of a bad vibe in any bar I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

We were two rows from the back yet we didn't even pay for the cheapest tier of tickets. Goes to show how little of those cheap tier tickets actually go on sale.

Not the best event I've ever been to but the atmosphere for the main event made up for it. I was obviously heavily biased and influenced by the crowd but I thought till did win 3-2 quite clearly but then again I'd have to watch it back properly.

I am a big fan of Till but I wish he had a bit of a nastier side to him at times. All the hugging and high fiving is not a good thing. It's also weird to see him say after the fight how he doesn't want a title shot and it should be given to WB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I had the £96 tickets and thought they were great. True they were only maybe 15 rows from the back wall but they were side on to the cage so great view.

Did you have the misfortune of needing a drink? Worst venue I've ever been in for facilities. I only wanted a Coke and a bag of sweets.

Most places have separate outlets, a bar, then a food place, then a soft drinks and snacks stand.

The Echo only had one type serving everything. And nowhere near enough. Meaning that no matter what you wanted there was a 20 minute queue which would mean missing some of the fights.

I didn't bother in the end.

We were the very back row of the temporary stand and our tickets were over £100.

Completely forgot about the drinks set up, never seen so few kiosks in an arena of that size an absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Had the £100 tickets. 3 rows from the back but brilliant tickets I thought, its only a small arena so your probably going to have a good view where ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭rob316

D.Q wrote: »
    We were row a, block 5, but really wasn't the best view. Would have preferred to be side on.

Decent enough card, main event a let down but atmosphere saved it. Was electric.

Not sure what to make of Liverpool as a city. Maybe it was bad luck but seemed to be a bit of a bad vibe in any bar I was in.

I go about 5 or 6 times a year, great city for going out in. There was cloud over the city though over the CL though definitely, no mentioned it all weekend I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Got the cheapest of cheap. £56 the very back row

Don’t regret it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I ended up separated from my mates in a cheap ticket up the back, so I just walked down and stood at the wheelchair section for the fights, had a great view.

Till’s entrance was electric though, I’d say Dana was delighted he won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

We were block 8, row EE right behind the barrier separating upper and lower tiers. Our tickets were 75pound. Great view. Seems like some here paid more for seats further back?

Further back is subjective in an oval venue.

Was block 8 on one of the long ends?

I was in block 4 FF. Second row from the barriers but directly side on to the cage meaning that there were only about 7 rows of ground seats in front of the tiers rather than 30 or so on the long ends.

Advertisement