Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in my heating system

Options
  • 09-04-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a very small leak in my heating system. The water pressure is dropping at the rate of about 0.1 bar a day. Does anyone know someone who could find the leak with thermal imaging camera or tracer gas? I live in Bandon Co. Cork.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

Hi,

I have a very small leak in my heating system. The water pressure is dropping at the rate of about 0.1 bar a day. Does anyone know someone who could find the leak with thermal imaging camera or tracer gas? I live in Bandon Co. Cork.

Hi (again) Nicolas, there may be a connection between the 0.1 bar loss/day and your post just before that re Boiler/EV pressure. If the EV prepressure is in fact 0.7 bar then there is no reserve whatsoever to make up even the tiniest of leaks in your system. Before going down the above leak test route you might consider just draining down a few litres of water and then check the prepressure, depending on what you get you could then reduce it to 0.20/0.25 bar and repressure the filling pressure to 1.0 bar cold and see how that works out. I assume that the EV isnt full of water (just press the schrader valve release, no water should issue) if the EV is full of water then the PRV will lift and the system will loose water.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nicolas_Bandon

John.G wrote: »
    Hi (again) Nicolas, there may be a connection between the 0.1 bar loss/day and your post just before that re Boiler/EV pressure. If the EV prepressure is in fact 0.7 bar then there is no reserve whatsoever to make up even the tiniest of leaks in your system. Before going down the above leak test route you might consider just draining down a few litres of water and then check the prepressure, depending on what you get you could then reduce it to 0.20/0.25 bar and repressure the filling pressure to 1.0 bar cold and see how that works out. I assume that the EV isnt full of water (just press the schrader valve release, no water should issue) if the EV is full of water then the PRV will lift and the system will loose water.

There was a tiny leak in my heating system. So I emptied all the system (radiators & boiler) to remove the inhibitor. Then I opened all the radiator valves fully, I left the boiler drain valve open and I opened the filling loop to clean the system with fresh water. After 15min I closed the filling loop and emptied the boiler. I vigorously shaked the contents of the leak sealer bottle and put it into the boiler. Then I opened the filling loop and adjusted the boiler pressure to 1 bar. I started the boiler with all radiator valves fully open and bleeded the boiler pump and all the radiators.I kept the system operating for approximately 5 hours.
    The result: no more leak!!!
    The leak sealer I used is Repa-R 200. I bought it at Aquatech (Tougher, Cork). It’s expensive (€79 the bottle) but it works. Before using Repa-R 200 I used Fernox and Tec7 Plumb and Fernox F4 but they were useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

There was a tiny leak in my heating system. So I emptied all the system (radiators & boiler) to remove the inhibitor. Then I opened all the radiator valves fully, I left the boiler drain valve open and I opened the filling loop to clean the system with fresh water. After 15min I closed the filling loop and emptied the boiler. I vigorously shaked the contents of the leak sealer bottle and put it into the boiler. Then I opened the filling loop and adjusted the boiler pressure to 1 bar. I started the boiler with all radiator valves fully open and bleeded the boiler pump and all the radiators.I kept the system operating for approximately 5 hours.
    The result: no more leak!!!
    The leak sealer I used is Repa-R 200. I bought it at Aquatech (Tougher, Cork). It’s expensive (€79 the bottle) but it works. Before using Repa-R 200 I used Fernox and Tec7 Plumb and Fernox F4 but they were useless!

Hi,
    Have you considered the sealant to cause damage to circulating pump in your central heating? If so have you done any research on it?

Advertisement