Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58zFZ0V_Pg

If you missed the celebrations due to RTE's moan-fest, here's a link to the Redemn Tv's match day vlog that nicely captures the atmosphere at the end when the team and Klopp came over to celebrate with the fans and a bit of a choker moment when they are holding up the Sean Cox flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

FitzShane wrote: »
    OMG we are the final! :) First and foremost.

Last night was so difficult to enjoy seeing Liverpool get to the Champions League final for the first time in 11 years. Back where we belong.

But Jesus did RTE put some dampener on it. Like massively. It started off with Ronnie Whelan and his constant moaning and negative talk for the entirety of the 90 mins. It was full on capitulation talk, willing Roma to score, calling every decision in favour of Roma. Negative, moaning not stop. It was hard to enjoy the match and actually hard to enjoy the nervousness of the onslaught from Roma in the last 20 minutes!

Nowt new from Ronnie, one of a few extroardinarily bitter ex Pool players making a living in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Life is too short to listen to Brady and Dunphy being wrong and bitter, I turn over on the final whistle when watching matches on RTE these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

30 mins of negativity vs a one liner about how Milner & Henderson are good pros. Not balanced at all.

Where was all the celebrations being shown, or any player reaction? It was like watching a funeral of Liverpool football club. You wouldn't think they were after winning a CL semi final at all.

In fairness he gave plenty of praise to Liverpool calling them a “class club”
    And he was analysing a match in which let’s face it Liverpool were very poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I have no doubt if Utd fans were given a choice Liverpool/ Utd both win their cup finals or both lose them they would take the latter option

Is there not a thread on Red Cafe asking that question

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/can-a-win-be-a-loss-poll.437920/

Liverpool win the CL and United win the FA Cup 82 vote(s) 23.8%
    Both win nothing 263 vote(s) 76.2%

• Advertisement

BT should have the Final live on You tube so you can watch that instead of RTE / TV 3 moan fest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The rare time I get to see BT live I am very impressed with them.

They have both analysis and coverage at the same time. They show the coverage of the pitch and have the analysts talk over this.

I wanted to watch Liverpool players and fans celebrate instantly after the match, not look at Dunphy talk about Karius and Lovren and then Brady taking cheap shots.

Fair enough have the talka bout the defence etc but please leave it to the end and let us enjoy the moment first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I noticed Whelan alright,
    It was the 75 minute and Liverpool where 3 ahead and he was saying Liverpool really need to score here hahaha,
     He really let the nerves of being a fan get to him , In reality at 75 minutes 3 goals up they where flying nothing to be nervous about ,

Well he was kind of right in the end..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dunphy's best line last night was that if Ronnie Whelan's Liverpool were playing last night with a 3 goal lead that last night's match would definitely have been 0-0.

you could see the smirk across Sadlier's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

BT should have the Final live on You tube so you can watch that instead of RTE / TV 3 moan fest

Watch it with the volume off and radio commentary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'll be in Liverpool for it :)

If/when we ever win the league again, there's the makings of a public health crisis, such will be the extent of the PTSD amongst 'neutrals'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I noticed Whelan alright,
    It was the 75 minute and Liverpool where 3 ahead and he was saying Liverpool really need to score here hahaha,
     He really let the nerves of being a fan get to him , In reality at 75 minutes 3 goals up they where flying nothing to be nervous about ,

Well he was kind of right in the end..
    How didn't get one and still won ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In fairness he gave plenty of praise to Liverpool calling them a “class club”
    And he was analysing a match in which let’s face it Liverpool were very poor

Really don't agree that Liverpool were poor last night.

They did what they had to and their performance was definitely affected by the 3 goal lead and when they get the second goal the tie was effectively over.

The panel should have analysed the game in its context and not just focus on late goals conceded that were ultimately irrelevant.

If the first leg had been closer then last night’s game would have been very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I also suspect they know they will not have CL football in the next deal even though nothing has been tendered yet.
    corwill wrote: »
    Life is too short to listen to Brady and Dunphy being wrong and bitter, I turn over on the final whistle when watching matches on RTE these days.

You could be right, it's different without Giles and Bill, I don't really watch RTE anymore and at this stage I know Dunphy is a contrarian/troll so not to be heeded on anything.

I watch BT Sport for Champs/Europa Lg. Really enjoy Rio which I never thought I'd say, he calls it as he sees it and is quite natural on telly, which is not easy to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

on another note, Whelan himself was utterly insufferable last night.

i don't know what Liverpool did to you, but just admit you hate the club lad. it'll feel better just to let it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's gas how they seem to think that Ronaldo is still one of them.

When players leave Liverpool they're gone as far as I'm concerned, no matter how good they were.

Gas indeed, this was spotted at Old Trafford a while back:

546c7deb08a34_SOCCERArgentina195944.jpg

Reading over the United thread the last couple of days, I’m convinced some of them go to bed in Ronaldo pyjamas staring up at a poster of him doing a flashy yet completely ineffective step-over. :pac:

I'll be in Liverpool for it :)

Me too long back holiday weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

30 mins of negativity vs a one liner about how Milner & Henderson are good pros. Not balanced at all.

Where was all the celebrations being shown, or any player reaction? It was like watching a funeral of Liverpool football club. You wouldn't think they were after winning a CL semi final at all.

RTE got it wrong last night in terms of not staying on the pitch for a while after. However, the analysis was rightly cautious and critical in many respects. The performance had some negative aspects, and certainly demonstrated flaws that could be brutally exposed in the final.

BT do very well in terms of what they show, but the analysis is skin deep and jingoistic. This applies to their rugby coverage aswell. The bottom line is I've never seen football done in a way I'm comfortable with tbh. They all have their strong / weak points. RTE tend to capture the moment when it comes to Irish matches, but their CL coverage is tired and perfunctory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just proves the obsession with LFC instead of concerned with their own team, utterly pathetic or better still comedy gold :D

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »

i don't know what Liverpool did to you, but just admit you hate the club lad. it'll feel better just to let it out.
    They offered him a one year extension when he thought he desereved 3 , he gave out about it in the media and eventually decided he'd sign the one year extension Liverpool took it off the table completely,
    Bitter ever since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would say Didi was very disapointed last night that we got through.

He clearly has an agenda against Klopp imo.

I think it's largely down to a complete inability to come to terms with it no longer being 1988. I've limited sympathy, he didn't leave until, I think, '94?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't forget we are lucky to have Salah, otherwise we'd finish 6th and out at the group stages :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Robertson tweet from 2012.
    life at this age is rubbish with no money #needajob

https://twitter.com/andrewrobertso5/status/236918390793568256

Mignolet dug it up and quoted it.
    Started from the bottom, now he’s the left back of a @ChampionsLeague finalist! Respect @andrewrobertso5 ���� Perfect example of how determination is the best asset in everything you do in life. ����

https://twitter.com/SMignolet/status/991998141691056130

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056583746

Quite the read. During 2009 - 2013 we were told we were a mid table club and there was so much disingenuous 'oh I really respect Liverpool and it's better when they're challenging us but I'm worried about where they're headed' concern trolling floating about.

I'll be honest: I never doubted that this is where the club should be. Houllier and Benitez got us back challenging for and winning European trophies and up the table consistently; the assertions that the likes of Spurs had usurped us for good were always ludicrous. I think FSG have - to their credit - understood that. I don't think they would ever have given the job to Hodgson and they were put in a difficult position with Kenny when his caretaker period went much better than expected.

Under FSG the club has risen back to its rightful place of competing for the European Cup and back up the table. We fell just short on a title challenge. Another challenge will come in time. Commercially we now are in a very solid position with the value of the club significantly increased over the past 8 years and revenue streams much more robust.

This a great time to reflect on the great progress made and enjoy a review of the awful takes when we were at a lower ebb. :)

It is a great time for supporters who still supported the club during the tough times.

I would be more thankful to them rather than fair weather fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Anyone going to Kiev?

If I got a ticket think I'd have to. Wouldn't travel without one though.

Flights are gone through the roof though

its accommodation that is the killer. Doesn't seem to be any left.

I would pay 700 for a ticket but not the fecking 1,400 that is being touted around.

MD1990 wrote: »
    It is a great time for supporters who still supported the club during the tough times.

I would be more thankful to them rather than fair weather fans.

Is that a dig at me? :pac:

I think Karius gets alot of unfair criticism.

His faults always picked apart & doesn't get enough credit for his saves & good moments.

Compare him to the other keepers in the CL semi's

Navas - Some great moments vs Bayern but poor for Bayern's goal in Munich & had dodgy moments.

Ulreich - Shocking mistake for Benzema goal & poor position for Benzema's header

Allison - Been brillant all year. But poor mistake in the 1st leg & you could argue both goals last night he could have done better.

I certaintly don't see Butland who has been linked being good enough.
    Karius style of GK suits us better despite some errors much quicker off his line.

• Advertisement

Yes I would include the Mr Alan guy who posted here in that too.

Pfft, nonsense.

Don't confuse a dislike for a particular couple of managers or concern over the intention of owners for the club with a lack of support. 'Fair weather support' is support that wanes in terms of its interest or attention based on the fortunes of the club. It is most certainly nothing to do with holding strong opinions on the decisions the club is making or how the club is performing.

As is true with anything in life: it's impossible to drum up passion for that which you don't love. The disagreements in here over the years were often passionate and that just speaks for itself.

Being honest, I've largely posted less during Klopp's regime as often there's not a whole lot to really debate when it's going so obviously well.

mada999 wrote: »
    its accommodation that is the killer. Doesn't seem to be any left.

I would pay 700 for a ticket but not the fecking 1,400 that is being touted around.

Early flight out and skip the accommodation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Does he still post ?

You have to expect debate. Too many people here in the brendan era could see no wrong. Always supported because that is apparently what you must do even when they are hopelessly lost. There were a few that bucked that trend, got eaten in here but with their comments got some good debates/arguments going. The forum needs polar opposites to work or its just a bore.

Robertson living the dream and playing fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I certaintly do see Butland who has been linked being good enough.

I hope that the above was missing a NOT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

One is the size of the pitch in the final is the exact same as last night, We seemsed to really struggle to get close to each other and there was no connection between the team , Everyone was way to far apart
    The pitch size is not an issue.

Klopp addressed it in one of the post-match interviews last night. The role of the front three was to stretch Roma and prevent us from being compressed like we were in the away leg against Man City. The plan was not to defend on the 18 yard line or deeper but that is what happened because the players aren't experienced in handling the situation. This left a massive gap for the midfield three to cover. If Liverpool didn't carry a three goal lead into the game then the team would have approached the game differently and operated more as a single unit.

If Real Madrid focus on last night's game as a template for beating Liverpool it's unlikely to succeed.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    I hope that the above was missing a NOT

Missing don't. Not a fan of Butland at all. Another Mignolet imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pulisic linked again with a move this summer from the German paper Bild

Similar to Athens iirc. Was in and around 16k too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

ricero wrote: »
    Pulisic linked again with a move this summer from the German paper Bild
    Dortmund are reported to want €100M for him which is crazy money for a 19 year old.

I think Karius gets alot of unfair criticism.

His faults always picked apart & doesn't get enough credit for his saves & good moments.

Compare him to the other keepers in the CL semi's

Navas - Some great moments vs Bayern but poor for Bayern's goal in Munich & had dodgy moments.

Ulreich - Shocking mistake for Benzema goal & poor position for Benzema's header

Allison - Been brillant all year. But poor mistake in the 1st leg & you could argue both goals last night he could have done better.

I certaintly don't see Butland who has been linked being good enough.
    Karius style of GK suits us better despite some errors much quicker off his line.
    You can't  be serious he make's routine saves only, and every single game has a ropey  moment or two, he is way way way below what is need,
    He should have been sent off last night, Pushed a ball out for there second,
    Navas makes some error but also make some De Gea like saves,
    Ulreich  - is second choice,
    Allison - made one mistake in the two legs drop a ball at a corner, Other wise he was sold and made numerous saves, no chance with either goal last night

I think Karius is doing ok.

Drop a wee message to Phil and Louie to leave a few studs in this weekend on certain Madrid players :pac:

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Similar to Athens iirc. Was in and around 16k too.

I think it's 16k to each team and 16k to sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The goalkeeper / Karius situation is a tricky one.

I think he's a good goalkeeper but not a great one. He still has scope to improve at only 24.

I would say we don't need a new goalkeeper, but it's a position that we are weaker in to most of our direct league rivals and it could be improved upon.

So my take on it is that unless we can sign a goalkeeper who is a significant upgrade we stick with him.

There's not many attainable keepers out there where I would say they're a significant upgrade.

One that does spring to mind however is Oblak. He's just 25 and looks world class already. He makes saves comparable to de Gea, the ones you don't expect your keeper to make. He has top top level experience. He's in a team keeping a fairly ridiculous amount of clean sheets.

I would be in favour in spending big money on Oblak.

Not sure there's anyone else out there that it's worth spending money on to only maybe get a slight improvement on Karius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

You can't  be serious he make's routine saves only, and every single game has a ropey  moment or two, he is way way way below what is need,

I challenge you to back that up. I'd say 3 of every 4 recent games, he's been perfect. Quick distribution, good punching, claiming high balls in crowds, finger-tip saves on multiple occasions.

By the rationale of his errors last night, then Trent, Salah and Firmino are all rubbish!

Mignolet is gone in the summer so we are going to have to sign a keeper be that a 1st team starter a head of Karius or someone to compete with him for the starting place Ward isn't good enough or he would have got chances even on the bench ahead of Mignolet.

Alisson & Oblak being the two big names in goalkeeping that are being touted both would cost £75m+

Cost and affect will come into play when it comes to a keeper I think we need at least one more if not two central midfielders to join the incoming Keita.

We also need one CB and one forward who can play across the front three the goal keeper position will probably be the last one looked at.

Saying that I would love to see us sign either Alisson & Oblak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Karius was actually very good coming for crosses and high balls last night. He pretty much nailed all of them. Should have done better with the save he parried out though. It wasn't a particularly great or powerful shot. You could even argue he could have caught it but at least you have to parry it out towards the corner flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

16k of a 70k stadium is feck all

Mind you, that won't stop "Allez allez allez" getting heard on tv

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement