Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dickerty wrote: »
    You can't  be serious he make's routine saves only, and every single game has a ropey  moment or two, he is way way way below what is need,

I challenge you to back that up. I'd say 3 of every 4 recent games, he's been perfect. Quick distribution, good punching, claiming high balls in crowds, finger-tip saves on multiple occasions.

By the rationale of his errors last night, then Trent, Salah and Firmino are all rubbish!
    I think he cause panic and is an accident waiting to happen
    Roma home made a mess of Kolarov early shot and nearly put them one up ,Had  numerous nervous moments against West Brom away, Last night should have seen red and was at fault for there second
    I don't get how anyone is happy with him even Henderson was laying into him at the end in the celebrations,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Anyway, I think that - ultimately - last night exorcised a few ghosts for me:
    slingerz wrote:
    Rafa's record for last season speaks for itself. the looks on gerrard/torres faces when he took torres off and we needed a goal to challenge for a top 4 spot.

bentez had lost the team and once that happens he was screwed. a new manager with a fresh slate should reinvigorate the players to impress for the coming season.

Benitez oversaw the moving on of the likes of Crouch, bellamy etc while relacing them with the likes of Voronin. It was blatantly obvious this season that the liverpool squad was berift of talent whereas it had a lot healtier look about it previously.

those crying over benitez leaving need only have a look at the 2009/2010 season in review. all benitez's 'FACTS' are there for everyone to see.
    spockety wrote:
    Today is a dark day, a very dark day. Liverpool is a rudderless ship in the footballing sense. Look at who is running it now, none of them have a football brain. Rafa's presence was massive. The future is now a complete unknown, and I would say nothing is off the table in terms of just how bad it may get.

All of you who wanted Rafa gone, and your opposition friends with their faux "oh please don't leave, Rafa!" fear fuelled nonsense have now got your wish. You know who you are. You promised us that the golden sky will come after Rafa has been purged.

Well, it is no longer my Liverpool FC, it is yours. For how long I do not know, but I hope you enjoy your moment. This is the moment you have craved for a long time, and you probably can't believe it has finally arrived. Share your dreams with us, what manager will come in to improve on Rafa? How close will we run in a title challenge this season? What big name signings would you expect to come in now?

I feel rubbish, and all I can do now is sit back arms folded and watch this nightmare unfold. I will take no comfort or glee from the fact that the dream scenario you have in your heads is undoubtedly going to crumble before your eyes very quickly. Will you then understand? Will you pine after Rafa? Too late.

Too late.

Posts from 3rd / 4th June 2010

It got a whole lot worse before it got better in the end. We're so lucky now to have the owners we have and the manager we have. Just don't take it for granted I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well this is just a treat:

zb2e5xhskmv01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Boring Milner should have been Drax.

I really have no idea on Karius as of yet. In the grand scheme of things he hasn't played a huge amount of games; he is very young for a goalkeeper. He also hasn't knocked it out of the park and really owned the position in the opportunities he's got thus far. I think we can conclude that Mignolet isn't the guy and is never going to be the guy, but Karius might become that.

It's a difficult decision that should be driven by what is realistically available to us in the market over the summer. If there is a goalkeeper available who is a finished article and within budget, etc bring him in. If not, I guess we take next year to reach a decision on Karius.

In his current level of performance he's not good enough to match our ambition. I don't think we win a league with him between the sticks unless he improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

You can't  be serious he make's routine saves only, and every single game has a ropey  moment or two, he is way way way below what is need,
    He should have been sent off last night, Pushed a ball out for there second,
    Navas makes some error but also make some De Gea like saves,
    Ulreich  - is second choice,
    Allison - made one mistake in the two legs drop a ball at a corner, Other wise he was sold and made numerous saves, no chance with either goal last night

Even if the penalty was given he wouldn't have been sent off. That rule has changed - which is why he wasn't sent off against Spurs.

I agree he is ropey though, the 2nd goal in particular was very poor keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

Allison - made one mistake in the two legs drop a ball at a corner, Other wise he was sold and made numerous saves, no chance with either goal last night

Had a very ropey moment when trying to chip Salah, if Karius did that it'd be highlighted.

Rte coverage review:
    Ronnie Whelan: “I don’t know where this Liverpool team can go from here,” :rolleyes:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/champions-league/tv-view-liverpool-all-heart-but-ronnie-s-still-on-a-debbie-downer-1.3482060

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RTE - They don't know what Liverpool are doing or will go. - Whelan
    BT - I am a UTD fan and Ex player and worried that this Liverpool team are about to start something - Rio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I don't get how anyone is happy with him even Henderson was laying into him at the end in the celebrations,

He was only saying that he told him to stand up for the pen because he reckoned Nainggolan would go down the middle. But we don't even know if he heard that message, in that cauldron of noise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think Whelan was a United fan. It seems like he's developed some sort of complex through becoming a Liverpool legend and having to deal with those two facts, and he ends up constantly lashing out and whinging all the time.

I think it's 16k to each team and 16k to sponsors.

and rest on UEFA's own lottery system, plus of the Liverpool allocation some of that will have to go to players and and sponsors

Benimar wrote: »
    He should have been sent off last night, Pushed a ball out for there second,
    Navas makes some error but also make some De Gea like saves,
    Ulreich  - is second choice,

Even if the penalty was given he wouldn't have been sent off. That rule has changed - which is why he wasn't sent off against Spurs.

I agree he is ropey though, the 2nd goal in particular was very poor keeping.
    Is that change not just a Prem one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whelan is bitter with football in general and that he didn't make money from it.

We don't have one midfielder now that was anywhere close to being as good as Whelan in the squad I would love a player as good as Whelan in the team now.

What I have seen of Keita he reminds me of Whelan a lot as a footballer but with a crazy edge to him.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think Whelan was a United fan. It seems like he's developed some sort of complex through becoming a Liverpool legend and having to deal with those two facts, and he ends up constantly lashing out and whinging all the time.
    Its down to the getting f*cked over on his contract years ago,
    Expected a 3 year extension got offered 1 , Stalled on signing it and expressed his annoyance to the press ,Then decided to sign the one year but Liverpool took it off the table ,he has never got over it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

RTE - They don't know what Liverpool are doing or will go. - Whelan
    BT - I am a UTD fan and Ex player and worried that this Liverpool team are about to start something - Rio

both forms of coverage are shít.

RTE is utter hindsight nonsense in the main. they merely react to what they've just seen.
    BT just get an erection around any English teams. there wasn't an ounce of worthwhile criticism from them after the game.

in terms of the above statement, i can guarantee you that Whelan, Dunphy and Giles have seen the sum of about 10 Liverpool games this season. and you didn't quite finish the above Whelan quote. in its full, it's even fúcking better.

paraphrasing - "Liverpool are in the Champions League final...but I've no idea where they're going at the moment".

migraine incoming.

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    Had a very ropey moment when trying to chip Salah, if Karius did that it'd be highlighted.

Rte coverage review:
    Ronnie Whelan: “I don’t know where this Liverpool team can go from here,” :rolleyes:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/champions-league/tv-view-liverpool-all-heart-but-ronnie-s-still-on-a-debbie-downer-1.3482060

Enjoyed that: fitzshane’s earlier posts vindicated!!

This not getting as much comments as expected

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43991681

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Nope, change is across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Mignolet is gone in the summer so we are going to have to sign a keeper be that a 1st team starter a head of Karius or someone to compete with him for the starting place Ward isn't good enough or he would have got chances even on the bench ahead of Mignolet.

Alisson & Oblak being the two big names in goalkeeping that are being touted both would cost £75m+

Cost and affect will come into play when it comes to a keeper I think we need at least one more if not two central midfielders to join the incoming Keita.

We also need one CB and one forward who can play across the front three the goal keeper position will probably be the last one looked at.

Saying that I would love to see us sign either Alisson & Oblak.

I can see Klopp not buying a forward. And putting his faith in Ings, Solanke and the returning Origi as well as Ox to cover the front three. I think Origi still has the potential to be a very good back-up.
    With investing whatever money we do have on a CB and another MF.

If you give away a pen you can only be sent off if it is a clear goal scoring opportunity ie hand ball on the line, or you do not make a real proper attempt to play the ball ie pushing someone over. If you have been deemed to make a real attempt to play the ball it is only a pen and yellow card now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

JB81 wrote: »
    I can see Klopp not buying a forward. And putting his faith in Ings, Solanke and the returning Origi as well as Ox to cover the front three. I think Origi still has the potential to be a very good back-up.
    With investing whatever money we do have on a CB and another MF.

He'll buy one to cover for Mane or Salah. Ings will be used for the other and Original/Solanke for Firmino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He'll buy one to cover for Mane or Salah. Ings will be used for the other and Original/Solanke for Firmino.

He has to buy a ready-made, good to go forward that can come straight in when needed.

Ings, as much as we love him, is a big step down in quality from the front three, Solanke hasn't had a chance to show much quality and might be one to keep or loan out for development but Origi was loaned to Wolfsburg who are now fighting for survival and they are not picking up the option to buy Origi as per the original agreement and are sending him home. That says it all - 5 goals in 29 appearances is not what we want in a forward that can interchange with the optimum front 3 and we've been very lucky this season with injuries to them - we have to have a top quality option and not a sentimental one or one that needs development...

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    He has to buy a ready-made, good to go forward that can come straight in when needed.

Ings, as much as we love him, is a big step down in quality from the front three, Solanke hasn't had a chance to show much quality and might be one to keep or loan out for development but Origi was loaned to Wolfsburg who are now fighting for survival and they are not picking up the option to buy Origi as per the original agreement and are sending him home. That says it all - 5 goals in 29 appearances is not what we want in a forward that can interchange with the optimum front 3 and we've been very lucky this season with injuries to them - we have to have a top quality option and not a sentimental one or one that needs development...

I don't think he'll go with a well known established player. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something akin to another Mane signing, someone who we know is good but we don't think he's that good if you know what I mean?

I don't think he'll go with a well known established player. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something akin to another Mane signing, someone who we know is good but we don't think he's that good if you know what I mean?

Sound, no problem with that, I trust in Klopp!! (and, to be fair, the transfer committee based on recent form)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id buy dzeko, works his ass off and scores lots

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Where's the best place to buy a Rangers jersey? Online I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

PhuckHugh wrote: »

A 2nd hand shop I imagine

I think we wil buy a wide forward, someone who can play in all 3 positons up front ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mignolet is gone in the summer so we are going to have to sign a keeper be that a 1st team starter a head of Karius or someone to compete with him for the starting place Ward isn't good enough or he would have got chances even on the bench ahead of Mignolet.

Alisson & Oblak being the two big names in goalkeeping that are being touted both would cost £75m+

Cost and affect will come into play when it comes to a keeper I think we need at least one more if not two central midfielders to join the incoming Keita.

We also need one CB and one forward who can play across the front three the goal keeper position will probably be the last one looked at.

Saying that I would love to see us sign either Alisson & Oblak.

I genuinely wouldn't be against splurging on Oblak.

Not that I think Karius is terrible, he's doing pretty well. But I think Oblak looks the real deal, and if you can secure yourself a top top goalkeeper over the next decade it will seem like a small investment.

We have spent £18m the last 4 seasons so we should have loads of money. Our squad is pretty strong, and I think and additional £200m should be enough to get a top class CB, another top class CM and top competition for the front 3.

I haven't heard us linked, I'm sure we'll stick with Karius and I'm fine with that. Next season will be a big test for him, as Lloyd says we've had limited visibility. I think he's been solid lately but just doesn't make many world class saves that surprise you. Will be interesting to see if he single handedly wins us any points next year.

But I really would not be against it if we took the plunge of 70m - 80m on Oblak. I don't think that's necessarily blowing our budget and leaving us in trouble in the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Perhaps the Shankhil Road among like minded kin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

cjmc wrote: »
    A 2nd hand shop I imagine

I want to get a print on the back of 'Gerrard 8 Celts'

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I want to get a print on the back of 'Gerrard 8 Celts'

It'll fit in well with your hurling interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I still can't get over the fact Jordan Henderson might be lifting the European Cup up in a few weeks time as the captain of LFC. Talk about a chance to elevate his status at the club and into the club's history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I dont think Karius will single handedly win us a lot of points but has contributed a lot more than Mig has. He has made a good few tricky saves that a decent GK should probably be making and generally looks a lot more comfortable under pressure. No issue with him being number one next year with the assumption that more games makes him better. I also have no issue with us trying to bring in an upgrade if Klopp isn't satisfied with him or think more games will improve him.

80M+ on a GK seems excessive, but if you get the right one in then the position could be sorted for a long time. I doubt we'll spend that on a GK, it depends on the return you get I suppose. How much points is a ~80M GK going to win you vs Karius? Thats the real question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

rob316 wrote: »
    I still can't get over the fact Jordan Henderson might be lifting the European Cup up in a few weeks time as the captain of LFC. Talk about a chance to elevate his status at the club and into the club's history.

I'd almost prefer if it was Milner...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

NukaCola wrote: »
    I dont think Karius will single handedly win us a lot of points but has contributed a lot more than Mig has. He has made a good few tricky saves that a decent GK should probably be making and generally looks a lot more comfortable under pressure. No issue with him being number one next year with the assumption that more games makes him better. I also have no issue with us trying to bring in an upgrade if Klopp isn't satisfied with him or think more games will improve him.

80M+ on a GK seems excessive, but if you get the right one in then the position could be sorted for a long time. I doubt we'll spend that on a GK, it depends on the return you get I suppose. How much points is a ~80M GK going to win you vs Karius? Thats the real question.

I agree with all the points you make about Karius and I'm sure he'll be there next year, and I'm not against that.

As a hypothetical though, if (and obviously a big if) you could say that Oblak (or any other signed GK) was going to be as good as de Gea, would you say 80m is excessive? I definitely wouldn't say so.

But yeah no idea if he really has that potential in him. You'd want to be bloody sure you're getting one of the world's best for 80m, so I get what you're saying. If we can't be pretty sure of that better to probably stick with Karius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/bpfootball/status/992069641664163841?s=19

Will be interesting to see who replaces him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

16k tickets isnt a whole lot, especially as former CEO Rick Parry and some other directors got a deal of the century upon their exit from the club in 2009- they signed a deal that gives them access to approx 2,000 tickets any time Liverpool reach a European Cup final, for life, nothing limiting it at all. Its an absolute shocker of a deal for fans and it was dowho just done by Hicks and Gillet who didnt give two fcuks about LFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

NukaCola wrote: »

10-12 I reckon. It could be the difference between challenging for a league title or not. A gk to start, a cb to start and a better option to step in for the front 3 off the bench should be the priority. Last summer people were happy to continue with mignolet as he had a decent end to the season. Karius has done OK since he got back in but I think he has been shaky the past few games and I just don't ever see him being a top level keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Muahahaha wrote: »
    16k tickets isnt a whole lot, especially as former CEO Rick Parry and some other directors got a deal of the century upon their exit from the club in 2009- they signed a deal that gives them access to approx 2,000 tickets any time Liverpool reach a European Cup final, for life, nothing limiting it at all. Its an absolute shocker of a deal for fans and it was dowho just done by Hicks and Gillet who didnt give two fcuks about LFC

You got a source for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Muahahaha wrote: »

Is that true about Rick Parry? That is nuts, sounds like an April Fools. No way FSG would sanction that anyway

rob316 wrote: »
    Is that true about Rick Parry? That is nuts, sounds like an April Fools. No way FSG would sanction that anyway

Hicks agreed it when they bought the club didn't they? It was nothing to do with FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Milner’s #9assists #minusonegoal has me cracking up all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I wonder is Baby Keith annoyed about missing out on CL with LFC

• Advertisement

Hicks agreed it when they bought the club didn't they? It was nothing to do with FSG.

Rick Parry didn't own the club, he was
    Chief Executive. He stayed on as CE too after H&G took over. That story sounds like rubbish

Also, if true presumably it'd have caused a bit of hassle in either Athens or Basel and hence be well know

garra wrote: »
    I wonder is Baby Keith annoyed about missing out on CL with LFC

Keita? Probably as annoyed as VVD is at missing Motherwell at Hampden in the Scottish Cup Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Gbear wrote: »
    He is a United fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

kc1a7zjefov01.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turty, I can't see that at all, too far away or something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement