Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So last team to beat Real Madrid in a European Cup Final are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Turty, I can't see that at all, too far away or something.

Touch site Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

We've never conquered Europe
    We're never gonna start

From Goodison down to Wrexham
    Our team is worlds apart

Joe Royle and David Moyesy
    Our teams a laughing stock.

All thats in our trophy room's
    A ****in cuckoo clock

Allez Allez Allez

FACT OF THE DAY - Both Manchester City and Everton have never lost a European Cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Salzburg seem to have an abundance of young talent in their team that we could poach this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    FACT OF THE DAY - Both Manchester City and Everton have never lost a European Cup final.

We’ve never lost a Copa del Rey final. How bout that?

ricero wrote: »
    Salzburg seem to have an abundance of young talent in their team that we could poach this summer

They have to go through Leipzig first, our soon-to-be German Southampton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Gerrard to be confirmed by Rangers tomorrow apparently.

Turns out he was a right winger all along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

FSG should buy Salzburg :)

Seriously though they should find a medium sized EL friendly club in Portugal or the Netherlands and use it to incubate talent.

• Advertisement

FSG should buy Salzburg :)

Seriously though they should find a medium sized EL friendly club in Portugal or the Netherlands and use it to incubate talent.

It’s the easiest way to be hated by every team in your country, and on the continent, like Leipzig have done.

Let’s bloody do it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Who was the last or has any team gotten to a champions league final after coming out of the qualifiers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Just get Sadio to ring up a few friends and we'll get the van ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Who was the last or has any team gotten to a champions league final after coming out of the qualifiers?

No other team has made it to the final after going through the qualifiers.

Edit: I'm wrong and Martyos is right. No way did I think Barca or Bayern had to enter at a qualifying round when I was trying to think of finalists over the years.

Bayern in 2012. They lost the final to Chelsea though.

EDIT: last team to win it after coming through the qualifiers is Barcelona in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Love to get our hands on Haidara for midfield. Looks a great young player. Though I suspect Leipzig will have him earmarked to take over for Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Sure, we've already done it the other way, when we won it, and then went into the qualifiers. Might as well do it this way too... :)

Actually, just realised, we came through the qualifiers in 2004/05 and won it. So we basically went from qualifiers to Champions and back to first round qualifiers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No other team has made it to the final after going through the qualifiers.

All time records set or equalled this season

46 - Champions League goals this season - with the chance to add to that
    20 - away goals joint top.
    9 - Assists from one player again the chance to add one or two more
    0-7 joint biggest away win in CL
    4 goals or more - Liverpool have scored that in more games than any other side - Hoffenheim/Maribor/Spartak/Porto/Roma (Real Madrid next?)
    10 goals each - Firmino and Salah join Messi and Neymar as being the only attackers in the same side to reach double figures. If Mane scores then it's an outright record for a given sides attack.

Not sure if there are any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Tell the lads if you want to win leagues, champions leagues and other cups you need to play big games back to back and win in April and May (Not that we won last night but we won the tie). You're much better than Chelsea, go and stuff them and you have three weeks to rest and prepare before the biggest game of your lives. I'm full of confidence we win on Sunday and in three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We do need Lallana, Clyne, Gomez and Can (that's a hopeful one!) to be as fit as they can be in three weeks because they're the only four we could potentially have that offer us anything to help win a Champions League in the last 15/20 minutes. Klavan, Solanke, Ings, Moreno get a no thanks from me.

Would not be shocked to see Clyne start against Chelsea and Brighton and push to get a start with TAA offering us an option further forward/midfield late on.

And I'm calling it now, Andy Robertson gets one in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Another cracker from Milner..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

4 goals or more - Liverpool have scored that in more games than any other side - Hoffenheim/Maribor/Spartak/Porto/Roma (Real Madrid next?)
    10 goals each - Firmino and Salah join Messi and Neymar as being the only attackers in the same side to reach double figures. If Mane scores then it's an outright record for a given sides attack.

61 - Number of fouls without a card - James Milner vs Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Most luckiest ever record

If we lose the final I’m blaming the new female Doctor Who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The celebration scenes that RTE didn't show last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's still absolutely surreal that we're in the final of the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Fromvert wrote: »
    And I'm calling it now, Andy Robertson gets one in the final.

Great Scott!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

United fan here - I come in peace!

I'm going to be in Liverpool the weekend of the final. Heading over with a mate who is a Pool fan to watch the UFC on the Sunday night.

Do any of you guys have any info on how to get tickets for the screening of the final at Anfield?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

ush wrote: »

Don't even need to read that

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ush wrote: »

Nonsense. You think any of our players will read that and think "He's right, we should take it easy!"

Just like Real wearing t-shirts after the semi means nothing.

The only motivation to win it is to FECKIN WIN IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Spanish police at it again last night assaulting Arsenal fans. Not sure why the club gets fined when people start letting off fireworks outside the stadium or a few people chuck some cans at a bus, but the police attacking every group of away supporters that enter a country and nothing's done about it.

All UEFA games played in Spain should be played behind closed doors until such a time as they can start policing these events properly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't follow Scottish football and not heavily invested in the Celtic / Rangers thing but anything I've seen of Rangers over the last few years indicates they're a toxic outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I have a feeling that Gerrard will Gary Neville the hell out of that job.

He's not ready

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Terrible terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Terrible terrible idea.

Why is it a terrible idea?

Even if he fails there, he'll gain experience.

Pressures of Glasgow derby is a good test.

No guarantee he'll make it as a manager anyway, but he'll learn more there than doing u18s with no pressure or crowds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Be a few loanees in Scottish prem next year .. could be useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is it a terrible idea.
    Even if he fails there, he'll gain experience.
    Pressures of Glasgow derby is a good test.
    No guarantee he'll make it as a manager anyway, but he'll learn more there than doing u18s with no pressure or crowds etc.

Exactly, let him do whatever he wants, and prove he's got the metal for management. It's a surprisingly high level to be starting out at (If Celtic make a complete balls of it* next season, we could be talking about Gerrard the league winning manager!), so take the opportunity, and hopefully learn a lot from it, however long or short, good or bad it turns out to be!!

*a complete, and utter balls of it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Be a few loanees in Scottish prem next year .. could be useful

This is how we should be looking at it. Solanke and Wilson on loan perhaps, and Danny Ward on a perm?

Dickerty wrote: »
    This is how we should be looking at it. Solanke and Wilson on loan perhaps, and Danny Ward on a perm?

Why not sent them to League1?

I wouldn't be loaning any players to the Scottish league they would be better off in a competitive league like the Championship if we are loaning players out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

spockety wrote: »

The new Graeme Souness!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm at a loss as to what a profoundly awful idea this is for Gerrard, on every level. Happy to risk a card here by pointing out what a repellent outfit Rangers are, in so many ways. Their finances will hopefully take them off the football map soon enough, given the complete unsustainability of their business model, and their philosophical inability to cope with that reality. With luck, Gerrard will have gotten out of there before it all collapses without having lost all credibility in terms of a post-playing career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I wouldn't be loaning any players to the Scottish league they would be better off in a competitive league like the Championship if we are loaning players out.

I wouldn't let any young lad for whom I have responsibility within a donkey's roar of the sports & rec. division of sectarian, supremacist loyalobarbarism, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Think people may end up surprised by Gerrard to Rangers. Expectations are low, if he’s got some backing he’ll have a platform to have a real influence on a ‘big’ team in what is usually a high pressure job. Certainly a far bigger test of his managerial credentials than a youth coach where he doesn’t have to deal with the political side of club management. Not to mention dealing with senior players rather than kids. Hope it goes well for him, T’ill certainly put the Scottish league on my radar, really couldn’t have given a fup about it for years now.

Loanee's to Rangers and get a game in Europe, but just like John Barnes his management career could be over before it starts going to a club with no backing and fans expecting big things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Loanee's to Rangers and get a game in Europe, but just like John Barnes his management career could be over before it starts going to a club with no backing and fans expecting big things

Christ - you'd have to assume, or hope, that he's gotten some kind of assurance that he'll have some funds available and I hope it works out for him now that he's taken the jump, but it does feel like a poison chalice.

He's now proven he has the balls and ego to take on a pressurised job, which is a pretty essential personality trait if he wants to be a top,top manager, so fair dues and good luck to him, but if he doesn't have what it takes, he'll find out soon enough and it'll be back to BT punditry... (or I assume he'll get to keep that nice little earner for now if Rangers can't manage to get out of EL qualification rounds)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I can only presume that his thought process is along the lines of that if he wants to manage Liverpool some day, he has to show that he can challenge and overcome clubs with deeper pockets and more resources (Celtic), in the same way that Rafa and Klopp both did in Spain and Germany.

He's getting himself into that kind of expectation zone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement