Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

spockety wrote: »
    I can only presume that his thought process is along the lines of that if he wants to manage Liverpool some day, he has to show that he can challenge and overcome clubs with deeper pockets and more resources (Celtic), in the same way that Rafa and Klopp both did in Spain and Germany.

He's getting himself into that kind of expectation zone.

Very good way of looking at it. They can't all go Guardiola/Mourinho and only join clubs at the very top, you learn more from defeats and struggle...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Another thing.. a penny for the thoughts of combined Liverpool/Celtic fans? Head melt I imagine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You get nowhere in life by remaining comfortable. Fair play to Gerrard, he has balls at least.

If he gets the right staff around him, I think he could do well tbh. He has the character and traits that you would want in a leader, which is the first and foremost thing that a manager at a top club needs to have.

If he gets Rangers to be 2nd to Celtic for the next few years that'd be enough to get a gig in the PL I reckon.

There are 5/6/7 totally out of their depth PL managers most seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Fair play to Gerrard he's always been ambitious, he's a winner, he's taking a tough high pressure job.

Could have stayed with the easy job but he wants a big challenge at a big club (big relative to his experience).

It's a tough job, I understand why people are saying it's a no win situation, but I respect him for that. Showing hunger to take the step up in management and doing it at a high pressure club where there's a mountain to climb to get them back to where they feel they should be.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on, I might actually keep an eye on the Scottish league for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dickerty wrote: »
    You got a source for that?

No except to say that I read it in the Liverpool Echo at the time
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    Rick Parry didn't own the club, he was
    Chief Executive. He stayed on as CE too after H&G took over. That story sounds like rubbish

Also, if true presumably it'd have caused a bit of hassle in either Athens or Basel and hence be well know

The story of the 2,000 tickets isnt rubbish, trust me. David Moores is involved in it too. And yes there was hassle about it- especially in Basel where the stadium only held 35,000 to begin with. I was in Basel for that final and staying at a campsite over the border in France. There was a fair few Spirit of Shankly lads staying in the same site and they were all moaning about the deal that Parry, Moores and other directors got for the 2,000 tickets anytime Liverpool make a European final. Loads of them didnt have tickets because there was less than 7,000 available for the Basel final.

Given we are going to Kiev I would expect an article or two to pop up on the topic over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Right move by Gerrard, takes his first managerial project at a club with a history, in a league where he should be able to do well given the standard there. Get used to working with transfers whilst also developing youth, given the no doubt, limited budget.

He'll learn loads from it and ideally improve his reputation that he can handle a club of that size/stature. Good first step for him.

Didn't post at all about the semi final the other night but it's worth pointing out how chalk and cheese our left and right flanks were. Robertson was amazing barring his shoving a lad over, which added fuel to the flames we should have been looking to quell. Drove forward well and should have had an assist, defended capably and was helped by Mane who also never took a backward step, Virgil behind them as per usual, cool as you like.

Then there's the right where Mo deserves a good bit of criticism for simply not working hard to close down, letting Trent get overloaded and when he was got past, Lovern behind him looked shaky at times (not all the time but in patches). The only time we looked solid on that flank was when Milner started to drift over. I'm genuinely worried that Marcelo & Isco could have a field day with us on that flank, Ronaldo drifting over too.

And yet, we're miles better than what we were at the start of the season. Van Dijk has been immense, absolutely immense. Trent, for the mistakes he made is obviously made of stern stuff because the lad didn't lose his head, he worked very hard and played some very nice passes forward. Firmino - we'll be talking about him for years to come, he seems to play perfectly weighted passes for Mane and Salah the whole time, makes the right decisions and doesn't panic.

Then there's Hendo and Milner. I'm just unbelievably delighted for Milner that he gets to play on this stage given he left the comfort of City and possibly more cups, to play in his natural position, and even then, when he was asked to plug a gap at LB last year, he did it and never complained - that's the kind of player and person who will succeed under Klopp and 9 assists shows he's doing just that. Henderson gets flack. Gets called a sideways passer and is frequently called average. There's no pleasing people - the sideways passer commentators were probably the same people who called Gerrard out for 'Hollywood passes'. He does a brilliant job for the team and in the first leg he fúcking trotted all over Naangolan (I'm not checking that spelling). Wrecked him. Broke up play and got it moving. He's a solid captain and he's got more leaders around him now that he did in the Balotelli era so his job isn't as hard. I'd love to see him lift the cup. Young fella from Sunderland who's done nothing but graft for this club since he's come in, his reaction to the final whistle said it all.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm pretty nonplussed by the Gerrard to Rangers thing. I think it seems like a silly risk for him to take, but I just don't really care I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Rangers thread surprisingly quiet on the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm pretty nonplussed by the Gerrard to Rangers thing. I think it seems like a silly risk for him to take, but I just don't really care I have to say.

What's the risk? He'll always have a place at Liverpool if it doesn't work out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Milner has inadvertedly lined himself up for a sponsorship deal with Ribena. How bad! They'll be delighted with that coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »

Agreed. If he succeeds, great, good for him. If he actually has an excellent next five years at Rangers and elsewhere it will be interesting. If he does badly at Rangers and elsewhere through his fault or difficult contexts so what. He's a legend for what he did as a player, his managerial success or otherwise doesn't phase me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dickerty wrote: »
    What's the risk? He'll always have a place at Liverpool if it doesn't work out...

Actually the fact that there will be less pressure from certain quarters to constantly promote him up the ranks within the club is a very good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Just on Henderson, I must be one of the few who thought he had a bad game on Wednesday. A lot of people are praising him but I just can't really see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Stephen Warnock

EO1nAxK.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Rangers have less than half the revenue of Celtic, are loss making and in debt. ST sales are excellent, so there's little scope for improvement there.

There's friction at every level of the club from directors (2 gone this week), to management (3 managers sacked in a year and half) to the players (Club captain and senior player currently suspended) to even the heavily divided fans (see this weeks latest falling out and resignation of directors at fan ownership group. The same fans who just recently gave up their boycott of club merchandise).

They've been without a manager for something like eight months, even lifelong fan and former player Derek Mcinness being smart enough to avoid.

The owner, convicted tax cheat Dave King, is currently in breach of the take over panel ruling regarding his inability to stump up the £11m he's legally required to offer shareholders following his takeover.

The squad is in a poor state wih probably only one player of a value. The remainder consists of journeymen with no resale value often on good contracts.

Despite all of this, coming second to Celtic will always be seen as failure. It's the perfect example of a job that nobody daft enough to take it on would be smart enough to make a success of. A slow gradual building of the squad and club isn't an option. Susccess is demanded now. An impossible job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Anyone notice Hendo bollocking Karius at the end of the match on Wednesday?

Seemed to spill over even to when they were applauding the away supporters...

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Rangers thread surprisingly quiet on the whole thing.

Anything from the Scottish Sun is as good as an official statement. Hence why they've been ahead of the curve with all Gerrard latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Fieldog wrote: »

Yea, he's been quite mouthy of late. I think I saw him have a go at Robbo, Virgil & Lovern too.

I don't really mind that too much but he'd want to keep an eye on himself during the game. He tends to do a bit too much pointing and not enough getting on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Crazy move by Gerrard IMO and one that has a lot of potential to go sour very quickly. Rangers are a long way behind Celtic and there are still constant rumours of financial difficulties there in the background. The expectations of the fans there will still be high even though the club has been a basket case for almost a decade and they will turn on Gerrard unless those expectations are met once the initial honeymoon period is over. And the honeymoon period will end quickly if they get a few hammerings from Celtic again next season. Just seems like a bad situation for an inexperienced manager to put himself in.

I've seen English pundits say it's a great move because there will be no pressure on him to be successful quickly up there. They obviously don't know Scottish football. Especially the goldfish bowl in Glasgow.

https://extra.ie/2018/05/03/sport/soccernews/jordan-henderson-loris-karius

Either telling Karius he should have collected the long ball which led to the penalty, or that he was told before the penalty to stand still as it would likely go down the middle. Or both!

Rangers have less than half the revenue of Celtic, are loss making and in debt. ST sales are excellent, so there's little scope for improvement there.

There's friction at every level of the club from directors (2 gone this week), to management (3 managers sacked in a year and half) to the players (Club captain and senior player currently suspended) to even the heavily divided fans (see this weeks latest falling out and resignation of directors at fan ownership group. The same fans who just recently gave up their boycott of club merchandise).

They've been without a manager for something like eight months, even lifelong fan and former player Derek Mcinness being smart enough to avoid.

The owner, convicted tax cheat Dave King, is currently in breach of the take over panel ruling regarding his inability to stump up the £11m he's legally required to offer shareholders following his takeover.

The squad is in a poor state wih probably only one player of a value. The remainder consists of journeymen with no resale value often on good contracts.

Despite all of this, coming second to Celtic will always be seen as failure. It's the perfect example of a job that nobody daft enough to take it on would be smart enough to make a success of. A slow gradual building of the squad and club isn't an option. Susccess is demanded now. An impossible job.

I don't think any of this can be argued. Fair play to him for giving it a shot like, but it seems unlikely he'll make a success of it.

brevity wrote: »
    Just on Henderson, I must be one of the few who thought he had a bad game on Wednesday. A lot of people are praising him but I just can't really see it.

I agree. The midfield three as a unit weren't great imo, nor were the front three as a group at their best. That's okay though - tough context like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

The Gerrard to Rangers thing says a hell of a lot more about the shambles of a club that Rangers are than it does about Gerrard.

mosstin wrote: »
    The Gerrard to Rangers thing says a hell of a lot more about the shambles of a club that Rangers are than it does about Gerrard.

I think it raises questions about the judgement of both parties tbh. Each as daft as the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I just heard the game against Chelsea on Sunday referred to as a "meaningless game" on a podcast. WTF, like. If Chelsea win we'll probably need 3 points on the final day to get CL football. Again. Massive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it raises questions about the judgement of both parties tbh. Each as daft as the other

Why?
    I think Gerrard is thinking the bigger the mess and challenge the better for his own managerial development.

Do people think it's better if he goes to a cushier number without a challenge?

If Rangers is such a mess then the expectation will be low and he won't be too damaged if it fails.

Won't lose much sleep over it anyway, don't watch Scottish football and don't see Gerrard as a future Liverpool manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don’t think he had a “bad” game. But there were definitely times I was disappointed in his lack of willingness to get on the ball and take control. Plenty of time so saw him in the middle with space but he wasn’t demanding the ball from the centre half’s.

Would like to see him do this more.

However his cross field ball to Robinson which led to the corner we scored from was class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I don’t think he had a “bad” game. But there were definitely times I was disappointed in his lack of willingness to get on the ball and take control. Plenty of time so saw him in the middle with space but he wasn’t demanding the ball from the centre half’s.

Would like to see him do this more.

However his cross field ball to Robinson which led to the corner we scored from was class.

To be fair to the MF 3 i think there were too many gaps.......when we attacked on the break, it seemed like they werent really allowed join in as much as usual so they sat back.....when the ball got turned over, there seemed to be more gaps at times because the MF was deeper.

I feel both Henderson and VVD should have been pushing the line up higher when we got the ball

Some of Klopp's goals for Mainz:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2JXFFyoCJI

Berndt Schuster at 1:30. A more German-looking German you never did see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's probably been mentioned, but the top of this page is... strange.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/history/season=2018/matches/#/all

murpho999 wrote: »
    If Rangers is such a mess then the expectation will be low and he won't be too damaged if it fails.

They are a mess but expectations aren't low. Rangers fans always expect to challenge. Second to Celtic is failure.

Warbution was sacked the first season they were promoted because they were 3rd, a point or two off second.

Caxinha was sacked with them third.

Murty was sacked days after they fell from second to third.

There's no patience. There's no stability, but there's plenty of expectations. Either beat Goliath or he'll be following McCoist, McCall, Warburton, Caxinha and Murty out the door.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I just heard the game against Chelsea on Sunday referred to as a "meaningless game" on a podcast. WTF, like. If Chelsea win we'll probably need 3 points on the final day to get CL football. Again. Massive game.

Yeah I'd prefer to avoid defeat on Sunday and get the thing wrapped up before the final day. Think we will be tired team on Sunday though. Used a lot of physical and mental energy in Rome.

At least after Sunday there is a week until the Brighton game and then two weeks until the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

fyfe79 wrote: »
    https://extra.ie/2018/05/03/sport/soccernews/jordan-henderson-loris-karius

Either telling Karius he should have collected the long ball which led to the penalty, or that he was told before the penalty to stand still as it would likely go down the middle. Or both!

I'm actually delighted he did that, something I've never really seen him do, and something I'd like to see more of if I'm honest...

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

It's written in the stars....... and on UEFA's homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I'm actually delighted he did that, something I've never really seen him do, and something I'd like to see more of if I'm honest...

Yep agree. Thats the sort of thing a captain needs to do fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

murpho999 wrote: »

If Rangers is such a mess then the [/b]expectation will be low[/b] and he won't be too damaged if it fails.

You have no idea about the expectation and sense of entitlement from Rangers and their fans whipped up by the media in Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yea, he's been quite mouthy of late. I think I saw him have a go at Robbo, Virgil & Lovern too.

I don't really mind that too much but he'd want to keep an eye on himself during the game. He tends to do a bit too much pointing and not enough getting on the ball.

Irrespective of how one thinks Hendo is playing at the end of the day he's captain so he's only doing his job by making sure the players stay focused during a game.

If Roy Keane was having a sh1t game I wouldn't be expecting him to become a shrinking violet if his teammates were also playing sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We've earned €78m so far from the CL this season.

Now go spunk it on a top class CB to partner VVD and/or a GK.

Buy a reserve attacker anyways, of the ilk of Zaha, Richarlison, Martial, Sane, Son.

Have Keita coming in, add another starting midfielder.

Squad coming together for a proper rattle at the top.

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/992365972618170373

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This fúcking headline annoys me.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimesSport/status/992377100765204480

"Real Madrid and Liverpool have found their way to the Champions League final, but neither are really all that good?"

Just fúck off.

Really, and truly. That shouldn't even be a fúcking question.

Here's the answer. Yes, they are. They're in the Champions League Final. they beat teams that were very good, and beat teams who beat teams that were very good.

So yeah, they're excellent football teams.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SlickRic wrote: »

"Real Madrid and Liverpool have found their way to the Champions League final, but neither are really all that good?"

Just fúck off.

Here's the answer. Yes, they are. They're in the Champions League Final. they beat teams that were very good, and beat teams who beat teams that were very good.

You're welcome.

New GIF for this and what others are saying

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Grayditch wrote: »

What did it say? I'm getting a 404.

What did it say? I'm getting a 404.

You must be trying to access the page with an Arsenal account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just fúck off.

You're welcome.

He's a United journalist, as bad as Duncan Castles.

On a more serious note, though. The page had said that Liverpool were the winners of the CL.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2018/05/04/bizarre-leak-on-uefa-website-says-liverpool-have-won-the-champions-league/

Bit like the Roma site having tickets up before the draw :pac:

We beat one of the best PL teams the league has ever seen 5-1 over two legs.

Everything people have to say about Liverpool being undeserving finalists can get ****ed tbh. If we're undeserving, where are the other, more deserving teams? What's the excuses for them not being here?

I think even for the neutrals this is one of the more intriguing finals in years. Anyone complaining is just throwing salt around tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's almost as if rival fans and bitter bastards are allowed be journalists now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Knex. wrote: »
    We beat one of the best PL teams the league has ever seen 5-1 over two legs.

Everything people have to say about Liverpool being undeserving finalists can get ****ed tbh. If we're undeserving, where are the other, more deserving teams? What's the excuses for them not being here?

I think even for the neutrals this is one of the more intriguing finals in years. Anyone complaining is just throwing salt around tbh.

Beat the best team in the Premier League and topped a group that featured the team that knocked out the "2nd best" team in the Premier League :eek::pac:

Just fúck off.

You're welcome.

If Spurs had got there I guarantee you Miguel Delaney would be singing a very different tune.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement