Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Good to see the CL money coming in.

Should have huge funds in the summer and the club should also benefit from it's raised profile in reaching and maybe winning the CL.

Big name players will want to join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

If a team gets to the final just the once, you could say they were poxed and cup football means that sometimes the best teams don't make it to the final.
    But, when the same team makes it to European finals quite often, you have to say they deserve to be there.
    I don't have enough visible fingers and toes to count how often Liverpool made it to a European final.
    And you need two hands to count how many they made in the last 20 years.
    Final attendance Deserved.
    Anyone saying anything else is a complete loon and should be pitied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If a team gets to the final just the once, you could say they were poxed and cup football means that sometimes the best teams don't make it to the final.
    But, when the same team makes it to European finals quite often, you have to say they deserve to be there.
    I don't have enough visible fingers and toes to count how often Liverpool made it to a European final.
    Final attendance Deserved.
    Anyone saying anything else is a complete loon and should be pitied.

English teams in European Cup Finals
    Total 20
    ========
    Liverpool 8
    Man Utd 5
    Nottingham Forest 2
    Chelsea 2
    Aston Villa 1
    Leeds United 1
    Arsenal 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

English teams in European Cup Finals
    Total 20
    ========
    Liverpool 8
    Man Utd 5
    Nottingham Forest 2
    Chelsea 2
    Aston Villa 1
    Leeds United 1
    Arsenal 1

Here are the UEFA/Europa Cup finalists:
    Total 14
    ======
    Liverpool 4
    Spurs 3
    Wolves, Ipswich, Arsenal, Boro, Fulham & Chelsea, Man Utd - 1 each

And finally, here are the Cup Winners Cup finalists:
    Total 13
    ======
    Arsenal 3
    Chelsea 2
    West Ham 2
    Spurs, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Leeds, Everton - 1 each

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

5starpool wrote: »
    It'll fit in well with your hurling interests.

Well modern hurling was invented in Trinity college by Edward Carson, so yes, you are correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bring back the cup winners cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Here are the UEFA/Europa Cup finalists:
    Total 13
    ======
    Liverpool 4
    Spurs 3
    Wolves, Ipswich, Arsenal, Boro, Fulham & Chelsea - 1 each

I'd fix that before a United fan comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

spockety wrote: »
    Another thing.. a penny for the thoughts of combined Liverpool/Celtic fans? Head melt I imagine. :D

I've got a friend who's a combined United/Celtic fan. He's probably having a field day right now. Even more ammunition to belittle and slag Stevie G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

To be fair the question is put to Delaney about the apparent average quality of both teams, and by the time he was asked about Liverpool he made a point about the wider lack of impetus on defending in football generally.

There is that narrative though. If we'd beaten Roma 5-2 again on Wednesday I'm sure the narrative would be different. The fact is, while we maintained or bettered our 3-goal cushion for 85 minutes, we qualified thanks to the odd goal in 13 having led 5-0 until late in the first leg. For many, you're only as good as your last game, and when the narrative they want to push is that Liverpool are overachieving or that Zidane is a clap-hands manager, it won't take much to revert to it despite the recent achievements of both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Henderson's Dad, Hender, celebrating at the final whistle.

Nice to see, especially when he had a cancer scare a few years ago.

oW1QB0o.png

Does the narrative from any pundit / commentator matter?
    Nope IMO, they are akin to horse racing tipsters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

8-10 wrote: »
    I'd fix that before a United fan comes in

Ha, already did! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex. wrote: »

oW1QB0o.png

daduntsh.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Are you like the Simpsons, with only 4 digits on each hand?

I was including super cup appearances.

• Advertisement

King Kenny was a Rangers fan who played for Celtic and went to be the greatest Liverpool player ever.

I wonder will Gerrard do a Digger on it and bring a former teammate/manager with him.

Carra would be prefect fit at Rangers.

One hand to have the 5 digits and the other hand to count them.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

King Kenny was a Rangers fan who played for Celtic and went to be the greatest Liverpool player ever.

I wonder will Gerrard do a Digger on it and bring a former teammate/manager with him.

I thought I heard McaAllister was going with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why?
    I think Gerrard is thinking the bigger the mess and challenge the better for his own managerial development.

Do people think it's better if he goes to a cushier number without a challenge?

If Rangers is such a mess then the expectation will be low and he won't be too damaged if it fails.

Won't lose much sleep over it anyway, don't watch Scottish football and don't see Gerrard as a future Liverpool manager
    I see it as a mini trial by fire for Gerrard as a manager.

Rangers are the fallen giant of Scottish football, given their financial situation it is not too dissimilar to the situation at Liverpool before FSG took control. The fans have unrealistic expectations and expect to compete with Celtic no matter what. Even when Liverpool FC was on the brink of financial collapse there was a portion of the fan base which still expected us to be able to compete with Man Utd/Chelsea.

The parallels make it an interesting opportunity for him. It might also prove fruitful for Liverpool with regards to sending players on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gary McAllister is rumoured to be his number 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gary McAllister is rumoured to be his number 2.

Heard that rumour but then saw him in the stands during the Roma game the other night so presumed it is false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Knex. wrote: »

oW1QB0o.png

His dad's name is Hender Henderson?

Up there with Neville Neville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

But Gerrard was also at the game and it didn't stop him from getting the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

His dad's name is Hender Henderson?

Up there with Neville Neville.

Yeah and his grandfather is named Henderdad.

Nah, that was just me being a tit tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As much as I don't really care that pic kinda did make me scowl a little, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Grayditch wrote: »
    As much as I don't really care that pic kinda did make me scowl a little, I guess.

It's seeing him with blue that is off-putting.

That's what it would have been like if he'd signed for Chelsea years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Wanyama and vvd made themselves in Scottish prem,I'd have no issues loaning our loanees up there at all, championship can be a graveyard

Grayditch wrote: »

I think it's the tie that does it. Looks more like a shower curtain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wanyama and vvd made themselves in Scottish prem,I'd have no issues loaning our loanees up there at all, championship can be a graveyard

Never get that logic.

Three teams go into the EPL every season from the championship. Many of these become prem regulars.

Dozens more have successful loans or transfers.

How does the odd SPL success story make it, in anyway, a better bet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

noodler wrote:
    How does the odd SPL success story make it, in anyway, a better bet?

Tbh who is the last player we loaned out anywhere to gain experience who then came back & achieved much?

The championship >>> SPL.

Bar the euro games.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbh who is the last player we loaned out anywhere to gain experience who then came back & achieved much?

Is there something special about Liverpool that means our loanees would do better in a weaker league in Scotland than the Championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The championship >>> SPL.

Bar the euro games.

The only positive I can see in that is that old cliche that the Championship will "toughen up" or "weed out the weak" players. Fact is we've loaned players out to championship sides before with very little return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

noodler wrote:
    Is there something special about Liverpool that means our loanees would do better in a weaker league in Scotland than the Championship?

Considering so few of our loanees do well I don't see a metric of success to measure them by.
    Maybe if they went to Celtic they could get Champions League experience which clearly helped Van Dijk during his time there.

Considering so few of our loanees do well I don't see a metric of success to measure them by.
    Maybe if they went to Celtic they could get Champions League experience which clearly helped Van Dijk during his time there.

I just don't know what getting trounced in four out of 6 champions league games does better than playing in a competitive league all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As long as he doesn't come back and make a cnut of the club like Souness did when he came from Rangers, I don't really care. Personally, I'd be surprised if he makes it as a top manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The best loan opportunity for young Liverpool players is at a top half championship team. Lower skill level, good level of physicality to get used to, and for the most part having to break down resolute defenses most weeks. One of the reasons I'd be particularly happy with Neves coming in - Wolves was a great test for what he'd face a lot at Liverpool. Being the clubs best player, regularly playing against teams that were content to just sit back.

Did well enough with their selection of loan clubs last year, Cardif, Fulham, Bristol, even Hull to an extent. Only disasterous move was Ejaria at Sunderland, which made no sense... could learn nothing in that state of a club to prepare him for anything at Liverpool.

Not really sure i'd like any of the Liverpool youngsters exposed to the atmosphere at Rangers to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ian Rush

• Advertisement

Robbie Fowler a top contender to take over as under 18’s manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Luis Alberto! But as he isn't an academy product I suppose you're not thinking of him.

Brad Jones went on to win the Dutch treble he had been sent out on loan.

Aapas was sent out on loan and is now Spain's most deadly striker the last two seasons.

Loads have done well after been sent on loan just not with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well it looks like Brighton won't be a walkover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Origi

Fun Fact
    Before the end of May this year Liverpool will have played in more European finals this century than Everton have won derbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Vicxas wrote: »
    Well it looks like Brighton won't be a walkover

I presume Utd are taking it fairly easy? (not watching)
    Their league season is basically over, so I kind of assume their players are just looking towards the FA Cup.

Brighton are also at home today - being away against us will be a different kettle of fish. Their home form is quite good - 8th in the league - but their away form is atrocious at 19th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Meltdown in the United thread in 3 2 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Brighton safe is the best thing from tonight's result, Utd losing is only good from a comedy gold perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

rob316 wrote: »
    Meltdown in the United thread in 3 2 1.

It's begun but once City won the league and Utd secured their top 4 the season was over for them. You can be damn sure the players look at it that way. Cup game left and it's on to next season.

If we take points against Chelsea, we won't give a monkeys about the final game as all eyes will be on the CL final.

Took their foot off the gas after winning the 2nd place trophy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement