Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Brighton safe is the best thing from tonight's result, Utd losing is only good from a comedy gold perspective.

I've read a few places online that Brighton winning means they're now assured of PL football next season. While it's almost certain, it's not guaranteed, they could lose their last two games and get caught by Southampton. Not very likely, but possible...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Damien360 wrote: »
    It's begun but once City won the league and Utd secured their top 4 the season was over for them. You can be damn sure the players look at it that way. Cup game left and it's on to next season.

If we take points against Chelsea, we won't give a monkeys about the final game as all eyes will be on the CL final.

Aside from just not wanting to lose a game, we'll want to preserve our unbeaten home record in the league this season. Last game of the season at home is always a good one for the fans at the end, especially when there is a final afterwards to look forward to. If we finish top 4 it won't hugely matter, but they'll still want to cap it off with a win.

On a separate note, it was September last season (not year) when a player got sent off against us. That seems like a mad enough stat to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jasonb wrote: »
    I've read a few places online that Brighton winning means they're now assured of PL football next season. While it's almost certain, it's not guaranteed, they could lose their last two games and get caught by Southampton. Not very likely, but possible...

Southampton play Swansea so one or both has to drop points, meaning Brighton will finish ahead of one of them. I think...

5starpool wrote: »
    Aside from just not wanting to lose a game, we'll want to preserve our unbeaten home record in the league this season. Last game of the season at home is always a good one for the fans at the end, especially when there is a final afterwards to look forward to. If we finish top 4 it won't hugely matter, but they'll still want to cap it off with a win.

Last game of the season will be buzzing this year. I'm sorry I'm not going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

not taking anything for granted but hypothetically if we get a result at Chelsea presumably the team that plays Brighton will be full of players most of us have never heard of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Last game of the season will be buzzing this year. I'm sorry I'm not going

I’m going to it can’t wait for it the atmosphere will be rocking.

I expect Salah to glory hunt for goals with every shot to try and break records.

I’m going to it can’t wait for it the atmosphere will be rocking.

I expect Salah to glory hunt for goals with every shot to try and break records.

It'll be rocking for sure. Could well be top 4 riding on it too. Hopefully not, and it's done and dusted by then.

not taking anything for granted but hypothetically if we get a result at Chelsea presumably the team that plays Brighton will be full of players most of us have never heard of?

Klopp will play a strong team either way I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Its a pity that Diouf lad isn't still at rangers, I'd say Gerrard would find some enjoyment telling him where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Luis Alberto! But as he isn't an academy product I suppose you're not thinking of him.

Well he never really came back & achieved much at Liverpool he did that at Lazio.
    8-10 wrote:
    Origi

He's got 5 league goals & Wolfsburg currently lie in the playoff spot for relegation. So I'm not excited at him returning as I think he'd contribute as little as Ings & Solanke have this year.

Genuinely think there is too much made of loaning players as few ever come back now days. Loans are often done with hope of sales. If we can get Rhian Brewster or a Curtis Jones up to where Alexander Arnold is that's about all you can ask for.
    Only way to do that is throw them in our side not on loan especially the way we play.

Hardly. There is a 2 week gap after the match. I don't see why Klopp wouldn't play a full strength team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brighton are on 40 points. They are 99.9% bomb proof.

I agree that they're not going down, but I couldn't see how it was mathematically impossible for them to go down. But as Chardee pointed out, Southampton playing Swansea means that Brighton are safe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

ERG89 wrote: »

He's got 5 league goals & Wolfsburg currently lie in the playoff spot for relegation. So I'm not excited at him returning as I think he'd contribute as little as Ings & Solanke have this year.

No I agree with that, I mean he contributed after his first loan spell after we bought him which was back at Lille. He wasn't a world beater but he definitely contributed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I had hope for him before the injury due to the Everton tosser, that ended his bright spell
    We need better backup up front so hopefully there's recruitment in the summer.

Someone said if we win the CL and even making it to the final players will want to join. I had a quick look at who we bought the last time we won the CL, Peter Crouch and Zenden on a free :O

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It will be full strength it would be crazy to go 3 weeks without a game for the lads starting the cl final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Took their foot off the gas after winning the 2nd place trophy

Tbf...that’s winning the league if you don’t count City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

100% safe they cannot be relegated now

• Advertisement

robwen wrote: »
    100% safe they cannot be relegated now

Might not be threatened with relegation and lighting never strikes twice but you just never know.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Might not be threatened with relegation and lighting never strikes twice but you just never know.

They are mathematically 100% safe from relegation no set of results can see them go down

robwen wrote: »
    They are mathematically 100% safe from relegation no set of results can see them go down

I take your word for it:)

Just referring to the bomb proof comment by Harry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jose threw that game on purpose so we would worry and put out a full strength squad.

Ha. Only messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

8-10 wrote: »
    No I agree with that, I mean he contributed after his first loan spell after we bought him which was back at Lille. He wasn't a world beater but he definitely contributed

Was excellent cover. No chance we'd have gotten to the EL final without him. To be honest I really wish we had him this year ahead of Ings and Solanke in the pecking order. Head and shoulders better than both. Not good enough to be a starter by any means, but chips in with goals, and has the pace and height to stretch teams and keep them honest.

Still want a better backup option for next year of course though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It will be full strength it would be crazy to go 3 weeks without a game for the lads starting the cl final.

Indeed. I'd imagine the starting 11 vs Brighton will be the side that starts the CL final (barring any injuries and such, of course).

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/992500109354192898?s=19

Can looking like he'll be available for final along with Lallana greatly strengthens the bench

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Still want a better backup option for next year of course though.

Yeah 100% What ever way you look at it, we desperately need better cover for the front three.

Personally I prefer Ings over Solanke and Origi, I'd even choose him over Balotelli or Benteke. I just think those four are a totally different type of player to our current front three and just cant cut it with our style of play.

Sturridge when he had pace could've worked but unfortunately, he's fooked at such an early age.

I'd sign someone in the same sort of bracket as say Payet or Mahrez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

There are six teams between Brighton and Southampton.

In the bottom half of the table Brighton's goal difference is second only to that of Crystal Palace, so effectively in order for them to be relegated each of Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham, Huddersfield, Swansea and Southampton have to reach 41 points. That scenario is mathematically impossible - only one of Swansea and Southampton can potentially get 9 points from their remaining fixtures.

Realistically Southampton can only displace one of West Ham, Huddersfield and Swansea. Given the fixture lists Huddersfield is the most likely candidate.

West Ham : Leicester (A), Man Utd (H), Everton (H)
    Huddersfield : Man City (A), Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H)
    Swansea : Bournemouth (A), Southampton (H), Stoke (H)
    Southampton : Everton (A), Swansea (A), Man City (H)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Talisman wrote: »
    There are six teams between Brighton and Southampton.

In the bottom half of the table Brighton's goal difference is second only to that of Crystal Palace, so effectively in order for them to be relegated each of Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham, Huddersfield, Swansea and Southampton have to reach 41 points. That scenario is mathematically impossible - only one of Swansea and Southampton can potentially get 9 points from their remaining fixtures.

Realistically Southampton can only displace one of West Ham, Huddersfield and Swansea. Given the fixture lists Huddersfield is the most likely candidate.

West Ham : Leicester (A), Man Utd (H), Everton (H)
    Huddersfield : Man City (A), Chelsea (A), Arsenal (H)
    Swansea : Bournemouth (A), Southampton (H), Stoke (H)
    Southampton : Everton (A), Swansea (A), Man City (H)

Ouch that's a tough end to the season for Huddersfield. Had thought they were safe

8-10 wrote:
    Ouch that's a tough end to the season for Huddersfield. Had thought they were safe

They can beat Arsenal in thar last game imo. But if they stay up they'll likely be putting it off for a year as they gave been very poor at times this season.
    Going forward I think Swansea, West Ham & Watford need to look at how well their managers have done the last few months too if they want to avoid another relegation battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

If there's a notion that the Seagulls will be an easy game just 'cos they're safe, think again. They've just gotten one big team scalp and there'd be nothing better than to get the CL finalists in their home ground on the last match of the season when they've nothing to lose. They are not going to be in a generous mood to help us if we don't put CL qualification to bed tomorrow...

Not trying to piss on any parade here, just think we need to pay them - and well done to Chris Hughton - a bit of respect. They've earned it and I'm sure Klopp will slap any complacency out of the lads if we need a win in that game to secure CL for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If we win the Champions League, I'm fully expecting Coutinho to go peak John Terry and turn up in a full Liverpool kit to collect his medal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If we win the Champions League, I'm fully expecting Coutinho to go peak John Terry and turn up in a full Liverpool kit to collect his medal!

Whotinho? Hopefully his medal will be gold foil covered chocolate.....:pac:

Don't forget, if we lose the final we get medals as well, though I doubt he'd want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    Whotinho? Hopefully his medal will be gold foil covered chocolate.....:pac:

I know he's just won La Liga and will go on to win many more trophys with that horrible shower but you have to think he's kicking himself he didn't stay until the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So do Origi, Sturridge and Gurjic get medals as well?

All played got game time at some stage in the Champions League including the Qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So do Origi, Sturridge and Gurjic get medals as well?

All played got game time at some stage in the Champions League including the Qualifier.

winner gets 40 medals to distribute, and anyone that got any game time is due a medal as per Uefa rules.

also, regardless who wins, Harry Kane will also be due a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Surprised anyone would prefer Ings/Solanke over Origi.

Its not even close imo.

Origi has delivered a decent contribution for a few seasons domestically and in Europe. The others have done zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I doubt anyone would prefer ings/solanke to origi. He hasn't pulled up trees in Germany, in fact you'd say its been disappointing his goals return but I imagine klopp and origi spoke pre season and klopp says bar an injury Firmino starts every game and you get games here and there and probably be first sub and they both decided a loan was best for origi. Of course it would be interesting to see how the season would've panned out with origi in the squad, I'm certain a few more goals here and there.
    It will be interesting to see what klopp does with forwards this summer, sturridge is gone and if ings is serious about getting back to his Burnley self then hell need to move aswell. Solanke, I've read plenty of pieces saying he's the real deal etc.... But I haven't seen much whe watching him play, I appreciate he is young but to not even score once all season is very poor. Is there a way back for origi? I wouldnt say all hope is lost for him here tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    If there's a notion that the Seagulls will be an easy game just 'cos they're safe, think again. They've just gotten one big team scalp and there'd be nothing better than to get the CL finalists in their home ground on the last match of the season when they've nothing to lose. They are not going to be in a generous mood to help us if we don't put CL qualification to bed tomorrow...

They were comically inept last season after ensuring promotion. Did it with 3 games to spare and had a 7 point lead over second place Newcastle and were something like 1/50 to win the league. But seemed to go on 3 week bender and conspired to somehow hand Newcastle the title by only getting a point in their last 3 games.
    Pretty much the same bunch of players as last season.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't read much into Origi's performances in Germany. Wolsburg are absolutely brutal. Its a bit of a concern that Origi hasn't really stood out i guess but the team and system doesn't help.

Origi is miles ahead of both Ings and Solanke and can do the business from the bench too which will be important. Could have done with him this season IMO. I'd welcome him back as a squad player no bother. Still would need another forward player. I'd be happy enough with Sturridge, Ings out, Solanke out on loan and having Mo, Bobby, Sadio, Divock and another forward for next season. The forward line would look much better in that scenario IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sturridge deserves a medal imo. A loyal servant for the club even if he has had his injuriy problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

NukaCola wrote: »
    I wouldn't read much into Origi's performances in Germany. Wolsburg are absolutely brutal. Its a bit of a concern that Origi hasn't really stood out i guess but the team and system doesn't help.

Origi is miles ahead of both Ings and Solanke and can do the business from the bench too which will be important. Could have done with him this season IMO. I'd welcome him back as a squad player no bother. Still would need another forward player. I'd be happy enough with Sturridge, Ings out, Solanke out on loan and having Mo, Bobby, Sadio, Divock and another forward for next season. The forward line would look much better in that scenario IMO.

That other forward need to be top quality. Preferably right footer left winger,center forward type. Without mo,we look very ordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Sturridge deserves a medal imo. A loyal servant for the club even if he has had his injuriy problems

tumblr_nedh9rMK6y1sydvy2o1_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hoping for a few dodgy pique tackels this weekend. I'm sure they'll be happy to injure some Madrid players for the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why would Sturridge not? He scored in the thing.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why would Sturridge not? He scored in the thing.

Plus 2 assists...5 appearances too in fairness.

Joe Allen was very naive to leave Liverpool for Stoke in hindsight. Wasn't pushed out of the door either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Origi is an interesting one - looked like a good one for the future when we got him and the move to Wolfsburg looked like a good option for him considering the game time he could expect behind Bobby. Has scored 5 goals in 29 appearances and hasn't scored since early Feb, had 11 games since and only played the full 90 in 3 of them. Woflsburg are fighting for survival and they have not taken the option to buy Origi that was part of the original deal.

If we do or don't take him back (and what we do with Ings/Solanke) could be an indication of Klopp's and the boards level ambition and willingness to be, frankly, ruthless in pursuit of the the league next season.

I don't think any of us would argue that there's a big drop in quality from the optimum front 3 to who we can sub them with. We really do, barring any more injuries and Keita coming in, have a breadth of quality in terms of mid-field options but none in our attacking line up. The German press and others are keeping the Pulisic rumours going, and that would be a potential great option, but at 23, Origi has had his chance and he might be good, but he's not great and he's not showing the potential to be the level of player we need as a squad option or a regular rotated player. Ings we love, but he's not at that level and it's hard to call what Solanke is due to his lack of game time, but spidey senses would says he's fine, but not great.

If we want to seriously compete, properly give ourselves a chance to dominate, then its time for ruthless decisions on who we bring in and put sentimentality and hopeful wishes to one side. They don't necessarily need to be £100m marquee signings, but we have to be going for at least rising talent that's rising quickly and we're their next big step move to a team that can exploit their talents. Yeah, I'd personally love to see Pulisic come in if what the German press is saying about him and the buzz around him, but whatever happens, I just want to see us go and only go for the best.
    We all bemoaned Klopp when he didn't go for a CB last August and he waited and got precisely who he wanted in Jan and look where we are now - fcuking well done Juergen for sticking to your guns, more of the same please!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Klopp should give Countinho his medal in person.

'Well you did say you wanted to win things' .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement