Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/993807651661328385

a reason why Gomez was off form.

Hopefully gets fit for pre-season I think he can become Van Dijk's CB partner in a year or two.

And another who's been harshly judged. I like Gomez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

no chance Barcelona will loan him to us after paying 145m for Coutinho.

Although if Griezmann joins Dembele could leave possibly for Arsenal.
    We'll see but I can't see any club jumping in with a transfer offer that will see Barcelona recoup a massive chunk of the €105M they spent on Dembele. FFP means they can't just write off the loss they would make on the player - he'll have 4 season's left on his contract this summer so they would need to recoup around €84M. A season loan with an option to buy for €60M would make financial sense to Barcelona and be more palatable for the purchasing club.

Talisman wrote: »
    We'll see but I can't see any club jumping in with a transfer offer that will see Barcelona recoup a massive chunk of the €105M they spent on Dembele. FFP means they can't just write off the loss they would make on the player - he'll have 4 season's left on his contract this summer so they would need to recoup around €84M. A season loan with an option to buy for €60M would make financial sense to Barcelona and be more palatable for the purchasing club.

Seriously, is FFP even a thing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We could end the season in the same position as Arsenal ,
    There is literally nothing to cheer about yet, Iv we don't qualify and lose the final its a terrible season ,
    Next Sunday is massive ,
    Also think if we beat Brighton and get top four done, it'll take some pressure of the boys and leave them free to play the final with no fear , I think that's the key to beating Madrid ,

I just don't agree with that, oddly enough!! This run to the European Cup final is incredibly significant and it will be a key sell to players that Klopp wants. The worst case scenario would give us plenty to build upon for next season already.

It would be disappointing, but I'd have taken 5th and a European Cup final to start the season all day every day!!
    How is it a sell ?
     Look what we done in European Cup but where not in it  now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How is it a sell ?

'I'm building an exciting team that have demonstrated an ability to compete against the best of the best and we're going all out to win the league next year with no distractions'

I'm sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

It would be disappointing, but I'd have taken 5th and a European Cup final to start the season all day every day!!

I have to say I wouldn't. 5th and a CL WIN, yes, but not just a final appearance.

Minimum expectation for me this season would be a trophy OR top 4.

I wouldn't go as far as to say its a terrible season if we end up 5th and lose the Final (too many great nights for that), but it would be a terrible way to end the season. I really wouldn't fancy going into the CL Final knowing that, if we lose, we won't even be competing in the competition next year.

There seems to be a lot of criticism of any criticism lately around here! Given where we were after the Bournemouth game, I don't think its unreasonable to feel that we should never have been in the position of having to beat Brighton at home. Top 4 should be done and dusted. It's not, because of 3 below par performances. If we had performed in any of those 3 games we would either be qualified or have the safety net of being able to draw next week.

Sunday is huge, we haven't won in 3 games and we need to get back to winning ways as much as securing qualification. A good win will set us up for the Final - but the opposite also applies.

If we win our next two games, you won't find anyone happier than me. If we win neither I can't help feeling we took our eye off the ball.

How is it a sell ?

'I'm building an exciting team that have demonstrated an ability to compete against the best of the best and we're going all out to win the league next year with no distractions'

I'm sold.
    Haha the old we'll win the league next year no wonder United fans laugh at us,
    We ain't winning the league anytime soon ,
    Iv said it for year we need to establish ourselves as a top four club before we win anything,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Getting to a CL final isn't a terrible season, don't be ridiculous. Finishing with zero CL would be a setback but just that, the team is at a upwards trajectory.

What's the use of qualifying for it if we aren't going to take a serious go at it. Rafa knew, Klopp knows.

The squad is stretched, and Klopp has gambled, correctly. We are still massive favourite's to finish 4th

a reason why Gomez was off form.

Hopefully gets fit for pre-season I think he can become Van Dijk's CB partner in a year or two.
    It was mentioned during the commentary of the Stoke game that he had received injections before the game. One of the pundits mentioned that it was probably the reason why he was over hitting passes forward.

mosstin wrote: »
    Seriously, is FFP even a thing now?
    It is if your club isn't the play thing of a rich sovereign state.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Getting to a CL final isn't a terrible season, don't be ridiculous. Finishing with zero CL would be a setback but just that, the team is at a upwards trajectory.

What's the use of qualifying for it if we aren't going to take a serious go at it. Rafa knew, Klopp knows.

The squad is stretched, and Klopp has gambled, correctly. We are still massive favourite's to finish 4th
    How could anyone be happy with Eufa cup football next year is beyond me ,Its a back wards step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This thread is comedy gold at times.

This thread is comedy gold at times.
    Why so ?
    I think its a disaster not to get champions league football for next season , Its the same old one step forward one step back,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There is literally nothing to cheer about yet, Iv we don't qualify and lose the final its a terrible season ,
    Next Sunday is massive ,
    Also think if we beat Brighton and get top four done, it'll take some pressure of the boys and leave them free to play the final with no fear , I think that's the key to beating Madrid ,

You really seem very pessimistic.

If I had told in August that Liverpool in May would need to beat Brighton to secure top 4 whilst already being in the CL final you would have laughed in my face.

This has been our best season in years with some fantastic results.

You have to enjoy it. Realise that injuries have been an issue and the last 3 league games have been affected by eyes on bigger prizes.

We have 2 games in 3 weeks, plenty of recovery time, and more than capable of winning both.

This is to be cherished and not dreaded.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Next Sunday is massive ,

You really seem very pessimistic.

If I had told in August that Liverpool in May would need to beat Brighton to secure top 4 whilst already being in the CL final you would have laughed in my face.

This has been our best season in years with some fantastic results.

You have to enjoy it.  Realise that injuries have been an issue and the last 3 league games have been affected by eyes on bigger prizes.

We have 2 games in 3 weeks, plenty of recovery time, and more than capable of winning both.  

This is to be cherished and not dreaded.
    If we win both game's its a fantastic season no doubt but if we lose both its a crap one,
    This stage of the season is all about results its all or nothing really,

If we win both game's its a fantastic season no doubt but if we lose both its a crap one,

If we lose against Brighton it's a bad one.

No disgrace in losing a Champion's League final at all, as nobody thought we would get there.

If we lose against Brighton it's a bad one.

No disgrace in losing a Champion's League final at all, as nobody thought we would get there.
    I agree but its worse if we lose to Brighton due to the fact it would be the final way to qualify for next season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If we win our next game it will have been a very good season.

If we win our last game it will have been an outstanding season.

I really cannot see us losing both.

I can see us winning both.

Let's wait until the results happen to be píssed off.....or on cloud 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We've to beat Brighton, maybe even a draw might do by then. It won't be easy but it's a favourable fixture to be finishing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Haha the old we'll win the league next year no wonder United fans laugh at us,
    We ain't winning the league anytime soon ,
    Iv said it for year we need to establish ourselves as a top four club before we win anything,

Just like Leicester, just like when we went from 7th to a **** hair away from winning it?

Don't think some fans realize the strain a long European campaign can put on a small squad.

Liverpool are a top club now again, with a top class manager and some gifted footballers.

Anyway this debate is premature, we'll beat Brighton at the minimum and who knows what happens in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I agree but its worse if we lose to Brighton due to the fact it would be the final way to qualify for next season

So if we lose to Brighton it's a terrible season? What happens if we lose but Chelsea don't win all their games? Or Chelsea win, we lose and Spurs lose their games in hand?

Seems a bit silly that you say the season will be terrible if we lose to Brighton.

What about the idea of having a week's rest giving the team time to recover and fully prepare for Brighton game and knowing what they have to do.

Beat Brighton, secure CL for next season.

2 weeks to recover and then go and beat Real Madrid who still have 3 league games to go.

Imagine that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ShamoBuc wrote: »

If we win our next game it will have been a very good season.

If we win our last game it will have been an outstanding season.

I really cannot see us losing both.

I can see us winning both.

Let's wait until the results happen to be píssed off.....or on cloud 9.
    It is a funny situation in that it's all come down to the results from just two games.
    Beat Brighton but lose to Real = good season.
    Lose against Brighton but beat Real = incredible season
    Beat Brighton and Real = incredible season
    Lose both games = poor season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What about the idea of having a weeks rest giving the team time to recover and fully prepare for Brighton game and knowing what they have to do.

Beat Brighton, secure CL for next season.

2 weeks to recover and then go and beat Real Madrid who still have 3 league games to go.

Imagine that happening.

Yea but doom and gloom.... What if we lose both games :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yea but doom and gloom.... What if we lose both games :confused:

Best case, we rely on other teams not winning and we still end up with a very good season.

TitianGerm wrote: »

So if we lose to Brighton it's a terrible season? What happens if we lose but Chelsea don't win all their games? Or Chelsea win, we lose and Spurs lose their games in hand?

Seems a bit silly that you say the season will be terrible if we lose to Brighton.
    I can bet my bottom dollar Chelsea and Spurs will not slip up now, If they do great but I can't see it ,

I can bet my bottom dollar Chelsea and Spurs will not slip up now, If they do great but I can't see it ,

Why do you think other teams below us win every game and we'll lose ours?

What do you have against full stops?

I’m normally cautious but this game, against Brighton, will be a very handy victory.

Could be 4 or 5 nil.

I’m normally cautious but this game will be a very handy victory.

Could be 4 or 5 nil.

Brighton nothing to play for, already walking their pier in their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

From the DM
    The Premier League ensure top six clubs do not play each other on the first or last day of the season, it has been revealed. And top-six clubs are also kept apart on FA Cup semi-final weekend, another parameter to be considered by organisers.

Not that surprising come to think of it but probably not totally fair either. There's also rules for the top eight but that shouldn't concern us this year.

Why do you think other teams below us win every game and we'll lose ours?

What do you have against full stops?
    Iv been saying it for the last few weeks, Chelsea have there tails up and we look knackered,
    Spurs had there slip up v Westbrom,
    I hope we do it but can't see it happing,
    None of your business,

Why so ?
    I think its a disaster not to get champions league football for next season , Its the same old one step forward one step back,

I find your posts remarkably pessimistic. I'm inherently pessimistic myself but, Jesus wept, this team and what they've done this season has swept me away. We have to draw with Brighton at home on Sunday to guarantee CL football next season.
    That same CL tournament which has surely given you an incredible rush this year. We've underperformed recently simply because we've been concentrating on getting to the final of the CL this year. We are miles ahead of anyone's targets.

Iv been saying it for the last few weeks, Chelsea have there tails up and we look knackered,
    None of your business,

You really can't see Liverpool beating Brighton at Anfield.

Ridiculous in my opinion.

You really can't see Liverpool beating Brighton at Anfield.

Ridiculous in my opinion.

Or drawing. Even more ridiculous.

And that piece by Tomkins is 100% spot on.

Nice to read something sensible and reasonable.

We are fcuking blessed to have Klopp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Or drawing. Even more ridiculous.

Assuming Chelsea win their two games then we need the 3 points to finish ahead on goal difference.

Brighton have been very poor away all season, and that's when they had something to play for. They're now safe and won't care at the weekend. Liverpool will have had a full weeks rest and I'll be utterly shocked if they don't win. I expect them to do it handily enough, too.

None of your business,

You can't see it happening.....with a weeks rest.....at home.....v Brighton......... that really shows a truly negative and pessimistic perspective, one to which I certainly don't subscribe.

Also....' None of you business, ' is such a petty and childish comment that it shows no real need to engage further with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

gimli2112 wrote: »
    From the DM
    The Premier League ensure top six clubs do not play each other on the first or last day of the season, it has been revealed. And top-six clubs are also kept apart on FA Cup semi-final weekend, another parameter to be considered by organisers.

Not that surprising come to think of it but probably not totally fair either. There's also rules for the top eight but that shouldn't concern us this year.

Liverpool/Arsenal was the on the first weekend. Could the DM be wrong? :eek:

edit: just doubeld checked and that was the first game in 2016.

anytime I pull something from a tabloid I make sure I reference it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool to finish outside the top four is a nice price for those seeking suicide insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Liverpool to finish outside the top four is a nice price for those seeking suicide insurance.

It might be slightly better odds to bet on all of the results required to get to that position

if you are that way inclined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ERG89 wrote: »
    How can you misspell that more than once :confused:

He "misspelled" it every time, so I'd assume it's an issue with the way 'é' is handled on one of the platforms used.

Have you ever noticed sometimes you see stuff like "Sadio Man£%#s Goal Gives Liverpool Victory"? Some online platforms don't have the correct character set to handle special characters with accents and such. Circonflexes are often buggered up as well.
    And another who's been harshly judged. I like Gomez.

At one stage he looked like he had RB locked down and Trent was nowhere.

Both have weaknesses in the position. We'll have to wait and see if they can overcome them. The good news is they're generally good footballers, and have also shown a capacity to play in other positions, so they'll have every chance to make a place for themselves in the squad in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Just on the fixtures thing, if they can organise them that much they why dont they have the derbies and the game against united around xmas and new year. Would mean less travelling for the fans and would surely bring in big tv audiences as well.

Not just saying this for us but for all clubs, have derbies around the xmas new year period.

Maybe that would make too much sense for the FA so thats why they dont do it

tinpib wrote: »
    Liverpool/Arsenal was the on the first weekend. Could the DM be wrong? :eek:

edit: just doubeld checked and that was the first game in 2016.

just looked at it and Liverpool finished 8th in 2015, DM maybe right. 8th!!! and here we are now worried about the Champions League final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Win, lose or draw, this is the best Liverpool team I've seen in my lifetime.

We're set up now to really push on and do some great things in the coming years and challenge consistently for trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Gbear wrote: »
    At one stage had RB locked down and Trent was nowhere.

Both have weaknesses in the position. We'll have to wait and see if they can overcome them. The good news is they're generally good footballers, and have also shown a capacity to play in other positions, so they'll have every chance to make a place for themselves in the squad in the coming years.

Trent is not a natural RB, he should be in midfield, and I think we'll see Clyne coming back in, he's our best all-round RB. Trent has also had Lovren inside him most of the last few months, not the best communicator, compared to VVD!
    Gomez needs to be playing more at RCB beside VVD, let him use his size, pace and tackling ability, less risk of giving the ball away and leaving us exposed as a RWB. But he needs a injury-free pre-season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Going over too dunno where to watch it yet

Biekeller is always a good spot. Huge screen and you can book a table right on front of it. Also table service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

garra wrote:
    Then perhaps you are right about "spots under threat", otherwise it just wont come down to that.

All I mean is that only three can start. Most games and the big games it wipe be the best performing three. While it's great we can rotate, only three will be considered the starting three.

But I don't think its an issue if for example Mane becomes forth choice of a front three. FFS I want us to sign players that force Salah and firmino onto the bench. Because that means we have more quality than now starting games, and players like Mane firmino or Salah to come on when needed. The more quality the better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Just on the fixtures thing, if they can organise them that much they why dont they have the derbies and the game against united around xmas and new year. Would mean less travelling for the fans and would surely bring in big tv audiences as well.

Not just saying this for us but for all clubs, have derbies around the xmas new year period.

Maybe that would make too much sense for the FA so thats why they dont do it

The fixtures are set in a certain way. I know that the Liverpool-Everton games, one has to be played before Christmas and one after, so that each team is at home for a Derby in each calendar year. It was set this way after one club didn't host a derby match in an entire calendar year a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »
    Win, lose or draw, this is the best Liverpool team I've seen in my lifetime.

We're set up now to really push on and do some great things in the coming years and challenge consistently for trophies.

I still think the team with Reina, Carra, Stevie, Masc, Alonso, Kuyt and Torres was better. We were 1/2 signings away from a team that could have won it all...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement