Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

JB81 wrote: »
    Definitely would as backup.
    Massice step up from what we have,
    And i do think Klopp could re-energise him to what we seen of him in Basle and Bayern - effort wise.

Shaquiri, no.
    Talented no doubt, but lazy and overweight. Big wages too I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

JB81 wrote: »
    Definitely would as backup.
    Massice step up from what we have,
    And i do think Klopp could re-energise him to what we seen of him in Basle and Bayern - effort wise.

I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Klopp's teams have competed at the top level because the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Morale is essential to that. As good as he is, Shaqiri's attitude and comments this season have been huge morale killers.

Butland and Adams have been out in recent days criticising the attitude of colleagues. It's hard not believe they're making reference to Shaqiri. Granted he's hugely capable, but he'll never be first choice at Liverpool. Would you trust him to remain sharp while not a regular starter? To be a positive influence behind the scenes? To not go moaning or leaking stories to the press when unhappy? Or to even put in the sort of pressing shift Klopp expects of players?

He's a typical West Ham style signing; great YouTube reel, big wage demands, questionable fitness and attitude, capable of reaching great heights but too lazy/flawed to ever do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Could also do with Rafa doing us a favour tonight as well.

However it seems Newcastle are on the beach now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Weren't we in for Shaquiri a few years back and he chose Bayern Munich? They're not even in the champions league final for fecks sake.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Shaquiri was one of those players that would have been a risk taking a punt on, Stoke took that punt. It's not been overly successful for them.
    He's been good for them at times mainly when Arnautavic was along side him. But this season it's been on his shoulders to carry the team which he hasn't been able to do.
    If he came to us, I don't think that he would do enough work in defensive mode, and he's not flexible enough to play more than one position across the front 3.
    He also has a tendency to drift out wide which is the role of the full back in our setup.
    Handy to have around for his free kick ability, but other than that I think there are better options out there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I doubt Klopp wants Shaqiri, but if he does I'm on board with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Handy to have around for his free kick ability, but other than that I think there are better options out there.

Charlie Adam. Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Shaquiri, no.
    Talented no doubt, but lazy and overweight. Big wages too I'd say

Yeah, the last few weeks I thought he looked a bit rubenesque. Or, more accurately, John-Hartsonesque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Proper cheesy interview this! Not a whole lot of substance so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

murpho999 wrote: »
    What players are noted for pressing?

4A711F7B00000578-5532379-image-a-12_1521732804356.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Weren't we in for Shaquiri a few years back and he chose Bayern Munich? They're not even in the champions league final for fecks sake.

We were but it was after he went to Bayern - it was around the same time that we were looking at Willian, Soldado, Mkhitaryan, Konoplyanka etc after Suarez left and we couldn't land any of them - there was a general feeling that we couldn't get our transfer targets 'cos FSG were always trying to low-ball in negotiations and Rodgers couldn't attract quality and the sky was falling etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Do you see Mourinho letting any player going to us after the stick he is getting over salah

Let's not forget he let Kevin De Bruyne go as well. To mangle Oscar Wilde, to let one future POTY/Possible Balon D'Or winner is unfortunate to but let go/sell 2 is careless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So Salah interview on CNN was more or less

“You are a hero at Liverpool how does it feel.” “Great”
    “You are a hero in Egypt, how does it feel.” “Great”
    “Will you get out of the groups at the World Cup” “Yes”
    “What is your favourite food”

Bit of a fluff piece but nice to see how well he is liked around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Nothing concrete, and probably bollox, but I've just seen a tweet saying Buvac is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Always remember Craig Johnston being like that too, one of my favourite unsung heroes. [/I]

I loved him! I saw him in Blackrock at one stage, having pints in the Wicked Wolf, brought him down a pint of Guinness. I think he was based here briefly when working on the Predator boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Nothing concrete, and probably bollox, but I've just seen a tweet saying Buvac is back.

Great to see that Jurgen wasn't too proud the ask him back... after the collapse of the last couple of weeks, he had no option but to really.

Christ, hope that's true!

Just did a quick search on Twitter and there's certainly a lot of chatter that him and Klopp have been in a lot of contact, the issue was that Arsenal approached him and he said nothing so as not to disturb team cohesion (sounds bollox), he's been seen in Melwood today (could be just cleaning out his stuff or saying goodbye) and that Klopp as asked him to come back for the final...

Hard to know what's going on until there's official word from Anfield - hope it resolves itself, just have a niggle that he could be Klopp's Peter Taylor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Great to see that Jurgen wasn't too proud the ask him back... after the collapse of the last couple of weeks, he had no option but to really.

Your posts really are taking poor to a whole new level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I honestly do not think you are a Liverpool fan going by your posts

Your posts really are taking poor to a whole new level.

Don't bother. Reading his posts gives you all the information you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dickerty wrote: »
    I loved him! I saw him in Blackrock at one stage, having pints in the Wicked Wolf, brought him down a pint of Guinness. I think he was based here briefly when working on the Predator boot?

Ye that's true. I remember my da telling me he bumped into him in Fitzpatrick's killiney and they got chatting about this new football boot he was involved in developing/launching.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I honestly do not think you are a Liverpool fan going by your posts

What does that mean? What qualifies one as a Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dear sweet Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

You could wait until it's been confirmed before expressing your genuine delight at the news.

Edit: Ah just spotted the username and it's implied attitude..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"PhuckHugh!" I always say when I see one of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

https://twitter.com/_ChrisBascombe/status/994170123312300032?s=19

Could do with the option off the bench but not looking good now

U 23 thrashing of Chelsea vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQK7W8ztFgE

Yan Dhanda with a lovely 5th.

On other youth news Harry Wilson voted Championship Play of the Month

robwen wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/_ChrisBascombe/status/994170123312300032?s=19

Could do with the option off the bench but not looking good now

We have almost no decent bench options left. Lallana may be fit perhaps, but certainly not match fit or sharp. Clyne available is good, especially with Gomez out. Klavan is backup too. If we get to a stage where it goes to extra time in Kiev we will run out of steam or quality, perhaps both.

I'm getting slightly ahead of myself here, but it is a concern. Hopefully Ramos and Ronaldo will both attack a linesman in the 3rd minute or something, get sent off and Modric try to deck the ref for it and we cruise to victory over 8 men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Fekir looks an unbelievable talent.

I would be delighted if we signed him, I think there's a strong chance that we would be looking at 60-70m as an absolute bargain in a few years.

I remember being impressed with him a few years ago, but he seemed more like a speedster wide forward back then. From what I can see now he's more of a Coutinho / Hazard, picking up the ball in between the lines, turning superbly on the ball and then dribbling at defenders. The way he can turn on the ball and doesn't get knocked off it despite his size reminds me a lot of Hazard.

If the interest is genuine then Fekir is the Coutinho replacement it seems.

He looks a really fun exciting player to watch too.

He could of course be used in the front 3, but I would imagine he's been signed more so to line up in behind the 3 up top.

He's certainly pretty different to anything we have at the moment judging from that video, but also fits into the mould of the others and a Klopp team - incredibly fast, pacy and direct football.

Definitely the type of signing to get excited about.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Definitely the type of signing to get excited about.

and-like-that-poofhes-gone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I hope & I think we will have learned from the EL final in 2016.

Klopp has had 2 full pre-seasons since & has bought players that suit our high intensity style so we should better conditioned but in 2016 we ran out of legs after 60 mins.

I don't think we can play high pressing for 90 mins in the final. Maybe do it in spells & play on the counter at times rather than always try to regain possession in the final/middle third asap.

Weird to think the transfer window opens next week on 17 May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »

Klopp has had 2 full pre-seasons since & has bought players that suit our high intensity style so we should better conditioned but in 2016 we ran out of legs after 60 mins.

I don't think we can play high pressing for 90 mins in the final. Maybe do it in spells & play on the counter at times rather than always try to regain possession in the final/middle third asap.

Opposition is a huge step up, the top team in Europe for the last 5 years. It'll be some feat if Klopp can bring home the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Karius
    TAA - Lovren - vvd - Robertson
    Hendo - Gini - milner
    Salah - firmino - Mane

Migs, clyne, Klaven, Solanke, Ings, lallana, Moreno

That's very likely our line up for the final. To be honest it's pretty much our strongest side. Hopefully we have been playing at half pace recently on purpose to avoid burnout and injuries. Plenty of rest between games from here anyway so tiredness is no excuse.

I'm confident we will score. If we can stay solid at the back like the city second leg we have a great chance.

• Advertisement

Isn't the player registration window (what the transfer window really is) not closed until July 1st? Has that changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rob316 wrote: »
    Opposition is a huge step up, the top team in Europe for the last 5 years. It'll be some feat if Klopp can bring home the cup.

Madrid are a great team but have flaws.

We play to our best & I think we will beat them. They will leave far too much space & not as many threats in attack with Benzema & Bale not in top form.

There is a reason why they are 3rd in La Liga but they have been able to grind out results partly due to the luck in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Really? Thought it was 1st July (contracts tun until June 30 - and I assume players cant be contracted to two teams at the same time)

Means we can get people in before the Champs League final...

EDIT - it's only for prem league clubs. And they can't sign players contracted to a different club, so it makes no difference really.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

rob316 wrote: »

Madrid are a great team but have flaws.

We play to our best & I think we will beat them. They will leave far too much space & not as many threats in attack with Benzema & Bale not in top form.

There is a reason why they are 3rd in La Liga but they have been able to grind out results partly due to the luck in the CL.
    Bale or Ronaldo v Trent is worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I cant understand why klopp has brought on solanke as opposed to woodburn in the likes of the second roma match.
    solanke seems slow and ponderous as opposed to woodburn who also was on teh bench

• Advertisement

U 23 thrashing of Chelsea vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQK7W8ztFgE

Yan Dhanda with a lovely 5th.

On other youth news Harry Wilson voted Championship Play of the Month

Anyone following Dhanda's progress at all? Remember watching him in a good while ago when LFC TV was still free on basic Sky (maybe under15?) and he was the next big thing and he did stand out in the game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think with the two week rest we will be okay for 90 mins. I also see us having more possession than Madrid so not as much chasing around for the ball. A worry would be the match going to extra time. Lets face it we have no impact coming off the bench whereas Madrid do. If any of the midfield or front three get injured during the game there is just no quality to replace them. For us to win it I think we need to be in the lead by around the 70th minute and then see it out and avoid extra time at all costs.

Really? Thought it was 1st July (contracts tun until June 30 - and I assume players cant be contracted to two teams at the same time)

Means we can get people in before the Champs League final...

EDIT - it's only for prem league clubs. And they can't sign players contracted to a different club, so it makes no difference really.

That is not my understanding of it at all. Players can be bought after May 17th from abroad but you cannot buy any more players after August 9th. You can sell players up to August 31st.

Contract dates will still start on July 1st.

You cannot buy players for CL final as they're not in the CL squad.

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Anyone following Dhanda's progress at all? Remember watching him in a good while ago when LFC TV was still free on basic Sky (maybe under15?) and he was the next big thing and he did stand out in the game....

He's slowly improved, has grown up physically but needs more bulk to handle the step up. Two good feet and knows where the goal is. But that's been said about SO many prospects over the years.
    Cam Brannagan was the next big thing, as was Jerome Sinclair, as was Yesil, Teixeira - even Ibe to some extent!

That is not my understanding of it at all. Players can be bought after May 17th from abroad but you cannot buy any more players after August 9th. You can sell players up to August 31st.

You cannot buy players for CL final as they're not in the CL squad.

Correct - they clubs agreed to close the window before the first game, and FIFA rules say it must be open for 12 weeks, so it opens in mid May!
    So you cannot buy after Aug 9th...

Is that a new thing designed to stop the distractions of transfers after the league season has begun?

5starpool wrote: »
    Is that a new thing designed to stop the distractions of transfers after the league season has begun?

Yes, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

This. Trent showed in the two legs v City he was able for the big occasion. But equally showed v Utd and other big occassions (2nd leg of Roma too) that he can have serious defensive lapses, showing the attacker the wrong side, ballwatching etc.

He will grow into a great player (not sure if that will be RB tho) but for now you can get a 10/10 performance or a 4/10 performance and in the champions league final against quality fwds, that's a massive risk.

Clyne might not offer the chance of a 10/10 performance right now but you might expect a 7/10 with the bit of game time and fitness he has got back.

I think Sundays starter at right back will be the CL final starter. Clyne might be the safer option. Be interesting to see what Klopp thinks but fact Clyne started there v Chelsea might mean he wants Clyne ready to start.

guardian running story that Liverpool are in pole position to sign Portuguese defender Diogo Leite from Porto (I can only assume he didn't play in the 5-0 game)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/09/liverpool-diogo-leite-porto

In fairness Bale or Ronaldo v Anybody is worrying.

Bale will hardly be playing and Ronaldo should be more in the centre against VVD & Lovren.

TAA being unfairly picked on for a few perceived mistakes and stuff like his man of match performance against Man City being ignored.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement