Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

guardian running story that Liverpool are in pole position to sign Portuguese defender Diogo Leite from Porto (I can only assume he didn't play in the 5-0 game)

City instinctively bid 50 million before asking themselves; who is he again? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

murpho999 wrote: »
    In fairness Bale or Ronaldo v Anybody is worrying.

Bale will hardly be playing and Ronaldo should be more in the centre against VVD & Lovren.

TAA being unfairly picked on for a few perceived mistakes and stuff like his man of match performance against Man City being ignored.
    I don't agree that he's being unfairly picked on tbh.

He was top notch against City in both legs, no doubt about it. But I do think Guardiola missed a step in not switching Sterling and Sane, plus, everything came down that side against City and Roma, meaning our opponents know that's where to go at, meaning Trent gets overloaded at times.

Against Roma anyway, I thought Salah did him no favours and left him isolated, but with that said - Trent made mistakes, and one or two of the issues have been there from as early as the Hoffenheim game where he got caught under a high ball and we conceeded - same for the United game, same in the Roma game (pen call).

Like people have said, he's going to be a very, very good footballer for the club, he's not the complete package right now, nor do we expect him to be at 19. But I do expect him to have coaches around him who can develop his weaknesses into strengths. Ronaldo will be in the centre but he'll drift, Marcelo will bomb down that flank all game - we've right to be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bale or Ronaldo v Trent is worrying

Would be a concern especially with crosses coming in. Both unreal in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

jem wrote: »
    I cant understand why klopp has brought on solanke as opposed to woodburn in the likes of the second roma match.
    solanke seems slow and ponderous as opposed to woodburn who also was on teh bench

When Solanke was brought on in Chelsea game, it was the correct move as we needed a target man to glance in a cross like Giroud did for them.
    Having another nippy AM on the field would not have made a blind bit of difference that day.
    Likewise in the 2nd Roma game we needed something different tactically in terms of holding up the ball and allowing us to retain possession - that was the idea anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If anything it’s probably the opposite with Trent, people are praising him for his exploits against City etc, while overlooking that he has made a lot of mistakes.

Was the same with Gomez a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

D'Agger wrote: »
    I don't agree that he's being unfairly picked on tbh.

He was top notch against City in both legs, no doubt about it. But I do think Guardiola missed a step in not switching Sterling and Sane, plus, everything came down that side against City and Roma, meaning our opponents know that's where to go at, meaning Trent gets overloaded at times.

Against Roma anyway, I thought Salah did him no favours and left him isolated, but with that said - Trent made mistakes, and one or two of the issues have been there from as early as the Hoffenheim game where he got caught under a high ball and we conceeded - same for the United game, same in the Roma game (pen call).

Like people have said, he's going to be a very, very good footballer for the club, he's not the complete package right now, nor do we expect him to be at 19. But I do expect him to have coaches around him who can develop his weaknesses into strengths. Ronaldo will be in the centre but he'll drift, Marcelo will bomb down that flank all game - we've right to be worried.

Exactly why I reckon Clyne will start the final. Marcelo is probably the best attacking full back in the world, and to put a 19 year old midfielder at right back to counter him would be too risky, even for Klopp. Clyne, while not as attacking, is dogged and I’ve never seen him caught out by a diagonal ball over the top. We need to be as defensively sound as possible - on that side especially.

Robertson will probably have more license to rampage on the other side and the top 3 will hopefully do what they do best. Henderson and Wijnaldum need to have career-defining games, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Rightly or wrongly I think putting Clyne in ahead of TAA for the final would go against everything Klopp is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Playing Clyne would just be daft, tbh. He's played about two games in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly I think putting Clyne in ahead of TAA for the final would go against everything Klopp is about.

+1

I think you're right - at most, he might put Clyne in at RB and tell TAA he needs him in case he has to sub Hendo or Millie. I think someone already said that whoever starts RB on Sunday could be the CL Final starter.
    Have to wait and see but Clyne hasn't looked great in either starts in the Everton and Chelsea games - to be expected after his absence - it could be the case that Klopp is willing to forego TAA's pace moving forward for Clyne more solid defensive abilities. Tricky one but at least they have 2 weeks to figure it out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Klopp will go with TAA. Has kept faith with him all season, and TAA is one of the reasons we have got to the final, so he will continue to trust him.

Whether he lasts the 90 is another thing.

The Marcelo / Salah conundrum will be interesting. Which one will play their natural game - Marcelo bombing onwards and giving Salah freedom to attack all that space? Salah tracking back and negating his attacking qualities to help out TAA? One will have to give in.

In fairness Bale or Ronaldo v Anybody is worrying.

Bale will hardly be playing and Ronaldo should be more in the centre against VVD & Lovren............

Why won't Bale be playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Statement from the club on behalf of Sean Cox's family
    Liverpool Football Club is publishing the following statement on behalf of the family of Sean Cox.

As a family we have been overwhelmed and humbled by the support we have received since Sean was so badly hurt two weeks ago.

From the wonderful medical staff at the Walton Centre who continue to care for Sean to the highly dedicated officers of Merseyside Police who have assisted us from the moment we arrived, it has been a great comfort to know that we are in such good hands.

There are no words to describe the gratitude we feel to the ordinary people of Liverpool and Ireland who have taken Sean to their hearts in a way that underlines why those places have such a deserved reputation for generosity and solidarity.

Every day letters and cards arrive from this country, from Ireland and beyond. Every one of them wishes us well and the accompanying offers of support have reminded us, even in our darkest moments, that we are not walking alone.

Sean remains in a critical condition but he is a fighter and that, coupled with the medical and spiritual support he is receiving, gives us hope in our hearts and we long for the day when our husband, dad and brother returns home to Dunboyne so we can be together as a family once more.

In the meantime, we would ask that our privacy continues to be respected and when we have news we will share it at the appropriate time. Until then, all we can do is hope and pray for Sean in the knowledge that he is receiving the best possible care.

The Cox family.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/301187-sean-cox-family-statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think with the two week rest we will be okay for 90 mins. I also see us having more possession than Madrid so not as much chasing around for the ball. A worry would be the match going to extra time. Lets face it we have no impact coming off the bench whereas Madrid do. If any of the midfield or front three get injured during the game there is just no quality to replace them. For us to win it I think we need to be in the lead by around the 70th minute and then see it out and avoid extra time at all costs.

Have you ever watched Liverpool try see out a lead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Morzadec wrote: »
    Fekir looks an unbelievable talent.

I remember being impressed with him a few years ago, but he seemed more like a speedster wide forward back then. From what I can see now he's more of a Coutinho / Hazard, picking up the ball in between the lines, turning superbly on the ball and then dribbling at defenders. The way he can turn on the ball and doesn't get knocked off it despite his size reminds me a lot of Hazard.
    Can't really comment on him as I haven't a breeze. Only read an article on the Echo saying he did his ACL 2 years or so ago and comments from the odd Lyon fan saying he can pick up injuries.

Obviously there's no accounting for a player getting injured but I do hope we're cautious towards acquiring players who have that kind of history. Not a luxury we can afford to be indifferent about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I see Neuer is not going to play this season, hard to imagine he goes to the world cup in that case.
    What chance of Karius being picked as one of 3 keepers, although he's still uncapped to date?
    Ter Stegen and Leno definitely go, but Trapp would be squeezed out since he's not playing at PSG...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Can't really comment on him as I haven't a breeze. Only read an article on the Echo saying he did his ACL 2 years or so ago and comments from the odd Lyon fan saying he can pick up injuries.

Obviously there's no accounting for a player getting injured but I do hope we're cautious towards acquiring players who have that kind of history. Not a luxury we can afford to be indifferent about.

Wasn't aware of that injury, definitely something to keep in mind.

Based on his appearances however it looks like he's been largely injury free for the last two seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Apologies if this has been posted before but i haven't seen it before and thought a few here might appreciate it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDustinEVERTONStrophycabinet/videos/10153907346176711/?t=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

FitzShane wrote: »
    I think Klopp will go with TAA. Has kept faith with him all season, and TAA is one of the reasons we have got to the final, so he will continue to trust him.

Whether he lasts the 90 is another thing.

The Marcelo / Salah conundrum will be interesting. Which one will play their natural game - Marcelo bombing onwards and giving Salah freedom to attack all that space? Salah tracking back and negating his attacking qualities to help out TAA? One will have to give in.

I would move milner to the right side of the 3 to give taa a little more protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Augeo wrote: »
    Why won't Bale be playing?

Has been in and out of the side lately so a reasonable chance that he won't start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Has been in and out of the side lately so a reasonable chance that he won't start.

I think they'll play him because he's more direct that Asensio, which is more of an defensive issue for us. And he knows us well, has a good record against us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think they'll play him because he's more direct that Asensio, which is more of an defensive issue for us. And he knows us well, has a good record against us.

We'll see.

Woudln't agree he knows us well, he hasn't played a Liverpool side under Klopp.

bluefinger wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted before but i haven't seen it before and thought a few here might appreciate it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDustinEVERTONStrophycabinet/videos/10153907346176711/?t=0

Christ, Tony Gubber or Gubba - makes me feel old seeing that.... hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Read part of John W's interview with the BBC.

I'm taking from it FSG are going to back Klopp to the hilt in the summer transfer market from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Read part of John W's interview with the BBC.

I'm taking from it FSG are going to back Klopp to the hilt in the summer transfer market from.

Don't you be getting ricero hopes up... You know how he gets during the transfer windows ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reports in the Italian press that Napoli have set the price for Jorginho at €40m.

Honestly I would pay double that to get him to sign for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He is heading for City to replace Gundogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kevin Friend is the man with the whistle on Sunday

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/994171114069876736?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He is heading for City to replace Gundogan

Is he worth a punt on the cheap?

I know he's a bit of a crock, but on his day he's a tasty morsel.

He'd certainly fit Kloppball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

For any Bunnymen fans out there, this is brilliant.

"We asked UEFA to change the date of the match....." :D

https://twitter.com/thethinair/status/994270593183879170

And some classic Bunnymen........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

So if Chelsea win and totenham draw, were all on 72 points on the final day. That would be mad!

I'm still annoyed that Liverpool are even involved in the conversation about who will finish top 4. I'm dreading Sunday.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    For any Bunnymen fans out there, this is brilliant.

"We asked UEFA to change the date of the match....." :D

https://twitter.com/thethinair/status/994270593183879170

And some classic Bunnymen........

Love it... remember convincing the thick lad in class that the video was filmed near the Sally Gap during the big snow of '82

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Start of the season I would have been happy with the prospect of beating them at home on the last day for top 4.
    Throw in a cl final appearance aswell as an added bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I just saw there now that Brighton are away to Man City tonight - I didn't think they were playing midweek. That makes it even better for the weekend, and I was confident enough anyway considering their poor away form.... hopefully they'll get a chasing tonight and are wrecked for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Start of the season I would have been happy with the prospect of beating them at home on the last day for top 4.
    Throw in a cl final appearance aswell as an added bonus.

Me too but I'm bloody ****ting it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Brighton are all 'scorey goaly' jwhen they should be all dying from a hangover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

There's fight left in Brighton.

Meanwhile, saw this on the Guardian. Diego Leite anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reports in the Italian press that Napoli have set the price for Jorginho at €40m.

Honestly I would pay double that to get him to sign for Liverpool.

That’s a fricken steal for whoever snaps him up, really find that hard to believe though.. €40m is pocket change to the clubs that would be after him these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Kevin Friend is the man with the whistle on Sunday

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/994171114069876736?s=19

Doesn't really matter as they're all as rubbish as each other this season. I know people like to give out about referees but they have all been astoundingly awful this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Nabbed from Twitter
    Fair play to Rooney for visiting Sir Alex Ferguson in hospital.
    “His speech is improving and he can nearly string a sentence together”, says Fergie.

• Advertisement

Holy crap Huddersfield have scored

Dembele scored twice for Barcelona in some cup tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

1-0 Huddersfield!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

eek
    that makes me both happy and sad considering last week's result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

ello...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

say nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Don't spoil it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Pfft...Chelsea will score 5, no doubt about it.....easy win for them.....yup

Here comes winter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

First shot of the game?

Hazard for Pedro, they'll find a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hazard for Pedro, they'll find a way.

Literally as I read this comment, I heard the equaliser go in on talkSPORT.

Feck.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement