Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just catching up on tonight's results. Can't complain about that at all. A draw at home to Brighton on the last day of the season and we get 4th.

I'd take your hand off for that scenario every year this decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Knex. wrote: »
    Just catching up on tonight's results. Can't complain about that at all. A draw at home to Brighton on the last day of the season and we get 4th.

I'd take your hand off for that scenario every year this decade.

Bull**** no way would I settle for fourth every season before a ball is kicked no way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Bull**** no way would I settle for fourth every season before a ball is kicked no way

And how often this decade have we achieved that feat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

You know we're not just going for 4th, right? We've got another pretty big game soon.

You know we're not just going for 4th, right? We've got another pretty big game soon.

You wouldnt think it with some of the doom in here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Negativity is definitely the worst of the two because as annoying as the dismissive/overly optimistic posters are they generally aren’t one dimensional and aren’t only here when something happens to back up their viewpoint.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Let me be clear that I am confident we will get at least a point on Sunday. I would not be shocked though if we didn't. purely because Kiev is a distraction for the players, despite all best intentions and stated views from the players and management. It is only natural that for the biggest game most of these guys are ever likely to play, that they are distracted.

It should still be a comfortable enough game on Sunday and I hope we can go ahead early enough to settle and potential jitters that might come about if we are behind or drawing coming into the last 3rd of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

How does 'very optimistic, with a touch of nerves born of experience' sound? Not binary enough for the latest round of sh!tposting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

5starpool wrote: »
    Let me be clear that I am confident we will get at least a point on Sunday. I would not be shocked though if we didn't. purely because Kiev is a distraction for the players, despite all best intentions and stated views from the players and management. It is only natural that for the biggest game most of these guys are ever likely to play, that they are distracted.

It should still be a comfortable enough game on Sunday and I hope we can go ahead early enough to settle and potential jitters that might come about if we are behind or drawing coming into the last 3rd of the game.

Sadly this is the number one reason I am not confident for the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

corwill wrote: »
    How does 'very optimistic, with a touch of nerves born of experience' sound? Not binary enough for the latest round of sh!tposting?

I got your back, corwill! I'm exactly the same.

An early goal (for us!) would be great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Thud

Dickerty wrote: »
    I got your back, corwill! I'm exactly the same.

An early goal (for us!) would be great...

The sitting on the fence not optimistic and not pessimistic fans are the worst, how can you ever call yourself a fan?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Sadly this is the number one reason I am not confident for the final

Why "Sadly"?

We're in a final that nobody expected us to be in. This must be viewed as major bonus.

If we win, which is not impossible then it would be fantastic.
    If we don’t whilst being disappointing it must be viewed as a positive as it really is an achievement to get that far and shows great progress under Klopp and fills me with great optimism for the future.

In relation to negative posts: I have no issues with being cautious as sport always has a funny knack of biting over-confidence in the arse.

That said, if people can’t look forward to a game at home game against Brighton, needing only a point for CL qualification then I really think there is something wrong. Especially in light of the fact of our unbeaten home record this season.
    One poster said earlier that they are ‘dreading’ Sunday. How can that not be viewed as over-negative?

Do people not relish and look forward to games and enjoy the fact that we’re in meaningful games at the end of the season?

Dreading games and thinking they’re going to lose every single game just cannot be good for one’s mental health imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Im confident we’ll put in a big show vs Brighton. Players will want to show Klopp they are the best choice for the final & in form

Didnt see the chelsea game, how did clyne play on his full return?

Is lallana back to some kind of fitness(even enough for the bench?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If people are dreading it, stick 20 on a Brighton Chelsea double at 23/1 and head away on a holiday if things go tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

There might be two weeks between the games but I think this Brighton performance will have an impact on whether we win the final. We've been flat now for a few games. We have nobody outside the first 11 to freshen things up.

A big performance this weekend where we go through comfortably and salah breaks the record would be a huge boost for the team. Fans will give them a big send off and the vibes will be good. Brighton are ideal opponents.

At the start of every year since 2010, you wouldn't have taken that?

During that entire time we've been regarded as 5th or 6th best team in the league.

It's only now we have the platform to actually push on from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I completely understand where Dom is coming from btw. I don't understand those expecting us to lose. The two positions are different.

We need a point, at home, against a team with nothing to play for in order to secure CL qualification. It's a great place to be. For sure, we'd all prefer if it was done and dusted but the reasons for our 2 points from 9 spell are well documented and understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

niallo27 wrote: »
    If people are dreading it, stick 20 on a Brighton Chelsea double at 23/1 and head away on a holiday if things go tits up.

I'm not a gambling man, but €480 would certainly ease the pain of not finishing in the top 4.

flip side and your down €20 but Liverpool are in next seasons Champions League!!

niallo27 wrote: »

Solid plan. Threw a tenner on it there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why "Sadly"?

We're in a final that nobody expected us to be in. This must be viewed as major bonus.

If we win, which is not impossible then it would be fantastic.
    If we don’t whilst being disappointing it must be viewed as a positive as it really is an achievement to get that far and shows great progress under Klopp and fills me with great optimism for the future.

In relation to negative posts: I have no issues with being cautious as sport always has a funny knack of biting over-confidence in the arse.

That said, if people can’t look forward to a game at home game against Brighton, needing only a point for CL qualification then I really think there is something wrong. Especially in light of the fact of our unbeaten home record this season.
    One poster said earlier that they are ‘dreading’ Sunday. How can that not be viewed as over-negative?

Do people not relish and look forward to games and enjoy the fact that we’re in meaningful games at the end of the season?

Dreading games and thinking they’re going to lose every single game just cannot be good for one’s mental health imho.

Because this is a wonderful team who has played vibrant football throughout the season, particularly in the champions league, and it would be fantastic for them to win.

But the team as a whole (or individually) hasn't played in games of this magnitude before and I think that fact is being underestimated. Madrid have been there/done that and I have a niggling feeling that will be the difference.

Of course the final is a bonus, that doesnt mean it would not be fantastic to win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm not a gambling man, but €480 would certainly ease the pain of not finishing in the top 4.

flip side and your down €20 but Liverpool are in next seasons Champions League!!

Or or or You win 480 go on holidays and watch Liverpool win the CL final and everything is wonderful again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I am surprised Real are not shorter odds.

That said we play to our best we have a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Because this is a wonderful team who has played vibrant football throughout the season, particularly in the champions league, and it would be fantastic for them to win.

But the team as a whole (or individually) hasn't played in games of this magnitude before and I think that fact is being underestimated. Madrid have been there/done that and I have a niggling feeling that will be the difference.

Of course the final is a bonus, that doesnt mean it would not be fantastic to win!

So it would not be a tragedy to lose against them.
    That's my point.

Getting to the final should be viewed as a huge acheivement.
    MD1990 wrote: »

Why would they be? Beaten by Seville yesterday and overall form not great.

I think we have a chance against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

murpho999 wrote: »

Of course the final is a bonus, that doesnt mean it would not be fantastic to  win!

So it would not be a tragedy to lose against them.  
    That's my point.

Getting to the final should be viewed as a huge acheivement.
    MD1990 wrote: »

Why would they be?  Beaten by Seville yesterday and overall form not great.

I think we have a chance against them.
    Lets be fair total second string yesterday,
    But we can beat anyone , I think its huge that we get top four the weekend,
    Then the final we have less pressure and the lads can really just go for it, We only beat Real if we get after them from second one really in there face ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The only part of me that doesn't want to win the CL is my liver. He's coming round to the idea though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

corwill wrote: »

You'd swear people have never watched Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Comfortable 2-0 lead by the 60th minute I reckon.
    Less than comfortable 2-2 by the 90th minute with Brighton knocking in a few in-swinging corners.
    Sure it wouldn't be fun without a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Forget this crap of needing a draw in the final game of the season and then having a Champions League Final to go too.

I long for the days of losing 6 -1 to Stoke on the last day of the season and fighting to finish 6th.

Now those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Forget this crap of needing a draw in the final game of the season and then having a Champions League Final to go too.

I long for the days of losing 6 -1 to Stoke on the last day of the season and fighting to finish 6th.

Now those were the days.

*wipes away tear of nostalgic bliss*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

While getting to the champions league final is an incredible achievement in contrast domestically we've been disappointing at times. Our record against the top sides (2 wins in 10) has been poor compared to last season; we're 25 points off City & we let Chelsea back into the top 4 race when we really shouldn't ever have(same happened last year with Arsenal). In a season where the league is poor overall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Now those were the days.

Or fielding the 2nd string to play Madrid at the Bernabeu. Great times, Shur let's get that team back to play the final , ya know, for old times sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ERG89 wrote: »
    While getting to the champions league final is an incredible achievement in contrast domestically we've been disappointing at times. Our record against the top sides (2 wins in 10) has been poor compared to last season; we're 25 points off City & we let Chelsea back into the top 4 race when we really shouldn't ever have(same happened last year with Arsenal). In a season where the league is poor overall too.

We started this season poorly and picked up pace from November. I don't think we'd be 25 points behind City if we had got knocked out of the CL earlier but I wouldn't trade the CL run for an extra few points on the board.

Although we haven't been as good against the big teams this season we have definitely improved our results against the poorer teams.

Bear in mind we've managed to have a great season although we missed getting both of our top targets for the start of the season (Kieta signed for next year, VVD in in January), lost our best player in January and had horrible luck with injuries late on in the season.

I've really enjoyed 17/18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Klopp and the rest of us have

96900hp2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vagner Love! I used to sign him in FM 2010!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

TitianGerm wrote: »
    We started this season poorly and picked up pace from November. I don't think we'd be 25 points behind City if we had got knocked out of the CL earlier but I wouldn't trade the CL run for an extra few points on the board.

Although we haven't been as good against the big teams this season we have definitely improved our results against the poorer teams.

Bear in mind we've managed to have a great season although we missed getting both of our top targets for the start of the season (Kieta signed for next year, VVD in in January), lost our second best player in January and had horrible luck with injuries late on in the season.

I've really enjoyed 17/18 so far.

Fixed that for ya ;)

BenEadir wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya ;)

No need to fix it. Couthino was our best player when we sold him, and I'll have enjoyed the season no matter what happens in the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

No need to fix it. Couthino was our best player when we sold him, and I'll have enjoyed the season no matter what happens in the next two games.

Only messin with ya but I disagree with you ref Coutinho. No way would he have won player of the year etc like Salah has. He might be a tastier footballer in terms of vision and silkly skills but in terms of consistent effectiveness and game impact no one comes close to Salah this year.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Only messin with ya but I disagree with you ref Coutinho. No way would he have won player of the year etc like Salah has. He might be a tastier footballer in terms of vision and silkly skills but in terms of consistent effectiveness and game impact no one comes close to Salah this year.

Couthino was our best player. He was vital over the last few years, Salah was only new in and although he was doing well he wasn't our best player then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Couthino was our most talented player after Luis left who had some very key games that didn't necessarily mean he was our best player.

He wasn't for this half season he was here.

He wasn't last season that was Mane

He wasn't the season before that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Couthino was our best player. He was vital over the last few years, Salah was only new in and although he was doing well he wasn't our best player then.

I sincerely hope Salah scores on Sunday to beat the PL goals record.

He comes across as a very genuine likable character who despite all of his accolades this season has remained grounded and a team player.

He has been a joy to watch and Liverpool are very lucky to have him. Really hope they get another season or two from him.

Couthino was our most talented player after Luis left who had some very key games that didn't necessarily mean he was our best player.

He wasn't for this half season he was here.

He wasn't last season that was Mane

He wasn't the season before that either.
    Didn't he win player of the year for us in the last two ?
    Thuus meaning he was or best player for two season ?

Didn't he win player of the year for us in the last two ? Thuus meaning he was or best player for two season ?

Coutinho has never been our best player. Ever! He was definitely the most talented but he was never our moat effective player. Never scored a huge amount and never really won games single handed bar once or twice.

Mane was easily our beat player last season. Coutinho was always inconstant and only really started scoring goals last season. At that his goal return was just good. Nothing special. Even if you added assists his goal impact was average for a player considered our talisman.

We robbed barca. Phil wouldn't make it into our front three imo. Not pacey enough to be out wide and not as good for firminos role. A talent no doubt but not exactly Salah material

Negative_G wrote:
    He comes across as a very genuine likable character who despite all of his accolades this season has remained grounded and a team player.

The thing I like about Salah is opposition fans don't hate him. They might not like that he plays for us but he doesn't have the same baggage Suarez had for example. He doesn't come across as arrogant like Ronaldo. He seems like a team player and he is always happy. The guy is just class.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Who was our best player the year we reached the Europa League final?
    I'd imagine Coutinho was as that was just when Firmino was playing well, Sturridge was injured a lot, Lallana was doing well too.
    Funny, well kinda that he's gone since January & still has twice as many goals as anyone else in our squad bar our front 3. :pac:

Now those were the days.

Why not pick the 2013/2014 season as a memory?
    You seem a bit of a negative nelly tbh, when it suits you.

Mr.H wrote: »
    Didn't he win player of the year for us in the last two ? Thuus meaning he was or best player for two season ?

Coutinho has never been our best player. Ever! He was definitely the most talented but he was never our moat effective player. Never scored a huge amount and never really won games single handed bar once or twice.

Mane was easily our beat player last season. Coutinho was always inconstant and only really started scoring goals last season. At that his goal return was just good. Nothing special. Even if you added assists his goal impact was average for a player considered our talisman.

We robbed barca. Phil wouldn't make it into our front three imo. Not pacey enough to be out wide and not as good for firminos role. A talent no doubt but not exactly Salah material
    He was our best player for two season ,
    that s why he got player of the year twice,
    that's why he went for 140 million,
    That's why he was offered the armband to stay ,

Our team has set up to cope without him , but if he was still there he would still play ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd imagine Coutinho was as that was just when Firmino was playing well, Sturridge was injured a lot, Lallana was doing well too.
    Funny, well kinda that he's gone since January & still has twice as many goals as anyone else in our squad bar our front 3. :pac:

Phil wasn't really suited to playing as part of our current front three although he could fit in on the left hand side of the attack if needed. Would still walk into our midfield tomorrow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Origi was in very good form and it was a sickener when he got injured before the final.

Phil wasn't really suited to playing as part of our current front three although he could fit in on the left hand side of the attack if needed. Would still walk into our midfield tomorrow though.
    We changed how we play back in October after the Spurs hammering ,to the way we play now that suits our front 3 before that Phil was our best player for two season's
    I'm sure Jurgen had already know of Barca interest and the Phil would be off, We now pretty much by pass our own midfield or when they get it play it forward quick ,
    People laughed at Fernadihno and De Rossi, when they called us a long ball team, but I think they just got the words wrong and meant we are a very direct team which we have been since October and your right that doesn't suit Phil

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement