Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Talisman wrote: »
    Its crazy to think but it took us half a season to get 3 of the back five playing ,
    Since Karius,VVD and Robertson all started together we have been the best defence in the division stat wise,If the 3 of them had of been starting in August we'd no doubt had more points on the board  
    Plus we could possible upgrade on Karius and Lovren this summer, .
    It's never that simple. In fact thinking about it, it would have been a potential disaster - we would have been bedding in an entire new defensive line at the same time with little/no protection in front of them.

GK : Karius (Relatively New)
    RB : Gomez/Alexander-Arnold (New to the side)
    CB : Lovren/Matip/Klavan
    CB : Van Dijk (New signing)
    LB : Robertson (New signing)

Only one of the positions would have been occupied by a player that would be comfortable in Klopp's setup. Klopp took the right approach by not changing everything at once, the incremental changes reduced the growing pains of a defensive unit that are getting used to how each other play.
    Oh ye I 100% understand why it didn't happen early, Its just great to look forward to a new season with them in place from the start,
    I'm also delighted that guys like Henderson, Mane, Gini seem to be hitting there best form of the season right when we need them most in two weeks time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Gbear wrote: »
    On the face of it, I think we have a far more straightforward job ahead of us than, say, Spurs. I'm not sure how they move forward and go up another level, but we have some fairly clear weaknesses.
    Pochettino's post match comments yesterday reminded me of Benitez voicing his frustrations with Hicks and Gillett when it came to the need to strengthen the squad.

Mauricio Pochettino hints Spurs future hinges on commitment of transfer funds (The Guardian)
    “I repeat from my last press conference – today, 100% I feel that I am here,” he said. “But the most important thing is that tomorrow all can change because it’s not in my hands.”

Pochettino needed no second invitation to enter into great detail about how the club could improve. “I have very clear ideas of what we need to do,” Pochettino said. “I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not. We are going to talk next week to create the new project. It is a little bit up to Daniel and the club to agree with us.

“If we want to be real contenders for big trophies, we need to review a little bit the thing. We need to create dreams that will be possible to achieve. Maybe we are a bit disappointed and frustrated because now we are close [to trophies].

“I think Daniel is going to listen to me, of course. You need to be brave. Being brave is the most important thing and take risks. I think it’s a moment that the club needs to take risks and tries to work, if possible, harder than the previous season to be competitive again, because every season will be more difficult. It’s not only the big clubs. The clubs in behind us like Everton, West Ham or Leicester – they are working so hard to be close to the top six.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In less salubrious news, Sturridge's disastrous goalless loan spell at West Brom is now over. What is to be done with him? The only answer to me is repeated loan spells until he runs out this contract, the best he'll ever command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Buy him out of his contract and let him go.

It's going to cost the same money anyway to keep him and let him go on a free next summer.

Actually it will probably cost more to keep him when medical bills are taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Not impressed with the Butland link at all
    Allinson or Oblak are th only two keepers I wanna coming in. We are in prime position to get top players and need to spend the money now. no ****ing about.

Is it a proper journalist link or just Twitter?

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Bowlardo wrote: »
    Not impressed with the Butland link at all
    Allinson or Oblak are th only two keepers I wanna coming in. We are in prime position to get top players and need to spend the money now. no ****ing about.

The fact he's not nailed on to go to Russia at the expense of Joe Hart says a lot. He's been poor since he returned from injury, we have taken players from lower sides and improved them (Wijnaldum, Robertson and to an extent Van Dijk) but goalkeeping has been an issue since Reina dipped in form then left. Mignolet lost us far more points than he ever won and Karius showed against Roma that he still has a lot to improve on even if he has clearly improved in recent months.
    We should either go big like we did with VVD or forget buying a Butland type for an inflated fee.
    I wonder is the GK position a bit like corner kicks, hear me out :) 
    You will always hear our fans complain that the teams is bad at scoring from corners , but in reality every single team in the world is bad at scoring from corners ,It a fact a very small percent of corner are ever converted for any team ,
    Now with the goalkeeping I never ever hear of fans bigging up there keeper , with one exception and that De Gea (whos the best in the world by a long way) ,
    Is it just that all goal keepers make mistakes and there just isn't any real stand out keepers around anymore ?
    Chelsea,Spurs ,Arsenal fans are always having a go at there keepers to,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

You will always hear our fans complain that the teams is bad at scoring from corners , but in reality every single team in the world is bad at scoring from corners ,It a fact a very small percent of corner are ever converted for any team ,
    Now with the goalkeeping I never ever hear of fans bigging up there keeper , with one exception and that De Gea (whos the best in the world by a long way) ,
    Is it just that all goal keepers make mistakes and there just isn't any real stand out keepers around anymore ?

You might have a point there, Courtois and Lloris have dropped numerous clangers this season and Cech has been off the charts bad, it is a very tough position to see a definite upgrade in bar a very select few names like DeGea and Oblak etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, you could see the positive effect of the week’s rest yesterday. It was such a superior performance to the previous three games. Everything was back rocking and rolling and it could have been 8 or 9. Very positive indicator for the final. The unknown of course is how they deal with the occasion...

Thats the biggest job Jurgen has to do now, to impart the belief to the players that they have a right to play in the CL final, and have a right to win it. They have to actually truly believe this.
    Some of the younger - and maybe older - players will realize they have reached the pinnacle showpiece football event (aside from WC final) and will undoubtedly be nervous before & at the start of the game. Djimi Traore looked even more shaky than usual in 2005, we need them playing their natural game on the day - a big ask but Klopp has his ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You will always hear our fans complain that the teams is bad at scoring from corners , but in reality every single team in the world is bad at scoring from corners ,It a fact a very small percent of corner are ever converted for any team ,

I was basically going to post the same thing. Had to check to be sure it wasn't me.

You might have a point there, Courtois and Lloris have dropped numerous clangers this season and Cech has been off the charts bad, it is a very tough position to see a definite upgrade in bar a very select few names like DeGea and Oblak etc...

Only one bar De Gea in the Prem is Ederson but he makes mistakes himself,
    Id say there is a load of decent keepers but very very few special ones ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

In less salubrious news, Sturridge's disastrous goalless loan spell at West Brom is now over. What is to be done with him? The only answer to me is repeated loan spells until he runs out this contract, the best he'll ever command.

Meh, it's not even worth a discussion imo. He's not in the plans, he won't be back in the squad next season, he'll be loaned or sold, he's became irrelevant. Shame for him, we all know how clinical he was but his days are numbered, definitely at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pochettino's post match comments yesterday reminded me of Benitez voicing his frustrations with Hicks and Gillett when it came to the need to strengthen the squad.

I don't think their issue is money, so much as finding anywhere to improve.

Who do they sign in midfield that's an improvement on Dembele or Eriksen? Whether or not they can fork over 70m quid, would the players go there, even if such a player exists?

They've already brought in Luacs Moura, they have Lamela back and he scored a couple yesterday, they have Son, who had an excellent season, and then they have Alli and Kane. It's a good spread of attackers of different styles, but they still don't seem to score enough goals. Maybe another full season, injuries permitting, will allow them to reach that level, but they need to find another 20 goals from somewhere.

There seems to be a sort of glass ceiling there and I can't quite wrap my head around it. We finished behind them and there's no guarantee we'll do any better next year, but I don't feel the same is true of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sturridge may have to drop down to the Championship with us paying all his wages.

I can't see a PL team taking him on loan.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sturridge may have to drop down to the Championship with us paying all his wages.

I can't see a PL team taking him on loan.
    I think he is certain to move aboard ,Where the game is slower and easier on the body, I wouldn't rule out a move to the MLS, He'd score a she'd load ( look at Keane) and live a nice life style on a good wage

Who do they sign in midfield that's an improvement on Dembele or Eriksen? Whether or not they can fork over 70m quid, would the players go there, even if such a player exists?

They've already brought in Luacs Moura, they have Lamela back and he scored a couple yesterday, they have Son, who had an excellent season, and then they have Alli and Kane. It's a good spread of attackers of different styles, but they still don't seem to score enough goals. Maybe another full season, injuries permitting, will allow them to reach that level, but they need to find another 20 goals from somewhere.

There seems to be a sort of glass ceiling there and I can't quite wrap my head around it. We finished behind them and there's no guarantee we'll do any better next year, but I don't feel the same is true of us.
    I have to say that's the most promising thing about us,
    We all know where we need to improve  , Weve played brilliant with a squad that has a lot of players who are sub standard that can be upgraded ,
    Spurs have a better 11 than us so its hard to decide where to upgrade, They even have a better bench as you mentioned, Its a tougher job from them to improve,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Only one bar De Gea in the Prem is Ederson but he makes mistakes himself,
    Id say there is a load of decent keepers but very very few special ones ,

De Gea makes a good number of mistakes himself, you just forget it due to his other ridiculous saves

Ox will now be out for at the very least 6 months according to Pearce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Don't get the alisson being so highly rated at all tbh,he's no top level keeper like ddg or oblak ,good yes,better than.migs probably ,karius ? Not sure yet,doing good .

Certainly would not be spunking most of a transfer budget on him that's for sure,if oblak want to come pay his release.. 82 mill ... Sorted for 8-10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Also, you could see the positive effect of the week’s rest yesterday. It was such a superior performance to the previous three games. Everything was back rocking and rolling and it could have been 8 or 9. Very positive indicator for the final. The unknown of course is how they deal with the occasion...

the biggest difference was Salah IMO.

he'd stopped incessantly making those direct runs behind over the last couple of games - I assume due to sheer tiredness.

he was back at it yesterday. a great sign for the final.

Oblak is not a keeper as suited to us as Allison is.
    Both great shotstoppers.

Oblak is great but is an old school keeper. Not great with the ball at feet & stays on his line as Atletico play so deep.

Allison is more suited brillant with ball at feet & off his line very quick. Price tag is way too high though.
    The link to Butland is a strange one. Too similar in style to Mignolet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The problem is trying to hold onto them players, Spurs don't pay their players as high as other clubs do. So if another club comes in for Erikson, they just need to dangle the weekly cheque in from of him and he'd have to consider it, Spurs are not going to negotiate a new contract based on that.

Is Dembele also out of contract now or in the last year?

RB would be my biggest concern for the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So next seasons fixtures are released on the same day as the World Cup starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'm gutted for Chamberlain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

RoboKlopp wrote: »

It might be a question of who breaks first. They are more exposed on their left due to Marcelo's style, though they get great joy down that side due to his ability (Marcelo really is a magic player). We have less cover down that side due to Salah not helping out as well as Mane does on the other side and being weaker at RB / LB, but equally we may see Salah in space. You could argue it either way.

They have players looking for improved contracts which Levy is unwilling to entertain. Levy's model is to get in young players on moderate salaries and reap the rewards aka profits. The noises from Pochettino are that he doesn't want to sign the 21/22 year olds with barrels of potential, the team need older more experienced players to properly challenge now - those players will cost transfer fees and demand salaries that Levy isn't comfortable paying.

Last year, Michael Edwards made a similar argument to Klopp. Instead of the 20/21 year old attacking option Klopp was urged to sign the 25 year old Mo Salah, thankfully he listened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

. The very small Moreno fan club has disbanded.

I think you're imagining things again...I definitely wasn't part of any Moreno fanclub but I did defend him when he was being called a liability and was nothing of the sort at the time. He turned back into a liability but that's a different matter.

Pearce.

Liverpool have no interest in Butland!
    JP: “Earlier in the season I was told that talk of LFC signing Butland was nonsense and I’m not aware of that position changing. Personally, I don’t think he would be an improvement on Karius.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-news-transfer-rumours-live-14653356

Hopefully that puts the rumours to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm gutted for Chamberlain.

Just seen he's out until November. Had hoped he's be back for the start of next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

We must also realise it was against an already safe Brighton who are atrocious away from home. But I would agree we looked more energetic that we have been.

Its hard to believe that our next game will be a Champions League Final. And I loved Klopp's quote yesterday that he didn't know how to play for a point.

So it looks like the final will be same tactics as normal from us ( not that I thought it wouldn't ). It just means we will either go 2/3 up and end up hanging on or we will be thrashed ( because Real Madrid could do that to us ), although they are more of the mindset that if they score first they may sit back and defend, which will not really suit us.

We need to score first, and I have every confidence with our front three. Great to see Salah with a bit of zip about him yesterday, was getting a bit worried about him re: fatigue.

RoboKlopp wrote: »

It might be a question of who breaks first. They are more exposed on their left due to Marcelo's style, though they get great joy down that side due to his ability (Marcelo really is a magic player). We have less cover down that side due to Salah not helping out as well as Mane does on the other side and being weaker at RB / LB, but equally we may see Salah in space. You could argue it either way.
    Its possible we could do what we did away to City in the second half , Salah through the middle, Bobby out left and Mane right to help Trent ,
    Also you'd imagine Milner( I think more likely Gini)  or who ever is the right sided centre mid will be working all week to help Trent out,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The problem is trying to hold onto them players, Spurs don't pay their players as high as other clubs do. So if another club comes in for Erikson, they just need to dangle the weekly cheque in from of him and he'd have to consider it, Spurs are not going to negotiate a new contract based on that.

Is Dembele also out of contract now or in the last year?

Not even close - his contract runs until Jun 2022

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Not even close - his contract runs until Jun 2022
    Dembele is heading into the final year of his contract, as are Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dembele is heading into the final year of his contract, as are Alderweireld and Vertonghen.

Signing Alderweireld and prompting Pochettino to walk would be utterly glorious.

Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ousmane-dembele/profil/spieler/288230

Are you talking about a different Dembele? - he only moved to Barca last year from Dortmund and is contracted until Jun 2022

Edit - ah, get ye - missed the Spurs context so guessing ye mean Mousa? oppss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Attendance at Anfield yesterday was 50,752 does that mean the other tickets weren't sold or they were & people just didn't show up?

Knex. wrote: »

Signing Alderweireld and prompting Pochettino to walk would be utterly glorious.

Imagine.
    I don't think there a hope of us even going for Alderweireld ,
    He is 29 isn't he ?
    Doesn't really fit our profile of the type of player we sign ,

I don't think there a hope of us even going for Alderweireld ,
    He is 29 isn't he ?
    Doesn't really fit our profile of the type of player we sign ,

But for the craic though?

If Spurs haven't just been lucky in their signing of seriously talented young players than we might be overly optimistic in expecting that to drastically change :(

Augeo wrote: »
    If Spurs haven't just been lucky in their signing of seriously talented young players than we might be overly optimistic in expecting that to drastically change :(

Different market now though.

Will Levy sanction 40-50m for Sessegnon?

or 50-70m for Zaha. Looks unlikely.

• Advertisement

Is there anyone from Prem teams outside the top 6 that you'd fancy us to sign ?
    For me it would be Vardy (as back up to Bobby ) ,
    Ndidi seems to have lost form ,
    Possible Lascelles at Newcastle but not sure,

In fairness, Spurs paid £40m or more for Sanchez last summer. I don't think they'll do too badly, unfortunately.

Still have a good core, essentially a new stadium, and one of the best goal scorers in the world who I doubt will be leaving any time soon. I can't see them not investing.

Knex. wrote: »
    In fairness, Spurs paid £40m or more for Sanchez last summer. I don't think they'll do too badly, unfortunately.

Still have a good core, essentially a new stadium, and one of the best goal scorers in the world who I doubt will be leaving any time soon. I can't see them not investing.

A new stadium which will need to paid for & cost nearly 1 billion according to some resports.

They will find it hard to improve on the last few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there anyone from Prem teams outside the top 6 that you'd fancy us to sign ?
    For me it would be Vardy (as back up to Bobby ) ,
    Ndidi seems to have lost form ,
    Possible Lascelles at Newcastle but not sure,

Mahrez (heading to City almost certainly), Arnautovic, Doucoure, I'll resist naming any Southampton players.

A new stadium which will need to paid for & cost nearly 1 billion according to some resports.

Did not know that. Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

from the Spurs thread when I wondered about the same thing.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106874981&postcount=1194

A full season over and Liverpool and Chelsea are still negotiating the price for Solanke without the need to go to a tribunal.

That's just totally nuts.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3498089/liverpool-and-chelsea-still-negotiating-dominic-solanke-compensation-source?src=com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lads slightly OT but my young lad is after a 2017/18 home jersey with Salah printed on it, any suggestions? some on amazon but always warey of quality and dont seem to stock old stuff on official store.

Dcully wrote: »
    Lads slightly OT but my young lad is after a 2017/18 home jersey with Salah printed on it, any suggestions? some on amazon but always warey of quality and dont seem to stock old stuff on official store.

Sports Direct maybe worth a try they also add names etc.

Various ages from baby to 12 in the link.

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=Kids%20Liverpool%20Kit%202017%202018#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=rank&Filter=none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A full season over and Liverpool and Chelsea are still negotiating the price for Solanke without the need to go to a tribunal.

That's just totally nuts.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/3498089/liverpool-and-chelsea-still-negotiating-dominic-solanke-compensation-source?src=com

Has there been any indication of where each club are, value wise? They're hardly arguing over a couple of millions either way are they?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement