Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

James Milner 13.5 km what a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Vicxas wrote: »
    They kick off at 19:45 on a Saturday?

That must be a first.

Think it’s the third of fourth one this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Have to laugh about Pep's whinge that Salah was offside for the first goal at Anfield - the incident was on the half way line, not the 18 yard box. They had at least three opportunities to clear the ball / prevent the shot afterwards but screwed it up.

I hope they keep Fernandinho and Otamendi in the team for next season, without their involvement we would have struggled to win the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

James Milner 13.5 km what a man

3rd game in 6 days. The lad is a machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

180 minutes against one of the best left wingers in football, would be fair to say TAA didn't do too badly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Great result. Hard to believe that even at the end of that first half we were actually winning. City were excellent and could have been in a better position with that disallowed goal.

Interesting seeing us try a 4-2-3-1, but for me the moment came around 55 minutes. Something changed, the ball stayed down, there was a pass back to Karius, people started showing for the ball and soon after we scored.

Salahs finish was ice cold, but Mane did the dirty work and kept it alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As long as city bounce back at the weekend, it'll be a good week.

It’s already a great great week. We’ve a couple of days to really savour this before the draw. Now is the time to remember all the portents of doom that poured in between 2009 - 2013. All of the ‘Liverpool are now just a mid table club’ and ‘well I’m just really so concerned about where ye are going honest I am’ guff. Remember how we all ripped shreds out of each other in here debating what our expectations should be and what would or would not be acceptable. Remember the horrendous disappointment that the 2014 / 15 season was and the 6 - 1 defeat to Stoke. Remember all the arguments over Benitez, Dalglish, tons of terrible signings, Rodgers, Gerrard, losing our best players, Coutinho, Moreno and Sturridge.

Basically **** Saturday, **** the past, **** anyone who will ever tell you Liverpool aren’t an elite club and soak this in between now and Friday morning. It’s a glorious feeling and it’s been 10 years since we experienced it. And yes, in 2008 I must admit I took being in a CL SF almost for granted. It’s a great day lads. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It’s already a great great week. We’ve a couple of days to really savour this before the draw. Now is the time to remember all the portents of doom that poured in between 2009 - 2013. All of the ‘Liverpool are now just a mid table club’ and ‘well I’m just really so concerned about where ye are going honest I am’ guff. Remember how we all ripped shreds out of each other in here debating what our expectations should be and what would or would not be acceptable. Remember the horrendous disappointment that the 2014 / 15 season was and the 6 - 1 defeat to Stoke. Remember all the arguments over Benitez, Dalglish, tons of terrible signings, Rodgers, Gerrard, losing our best players, Coutinho, Moreno and Sturridge.

Basically **** Saturday, **** the past, **** anyone who will ever tell you Liverpool aren’t an elite club and soak this in between now and Friday morning. It’s a glorious feeling and it’s been 10 years since we experienced it. And yes, in 2008 I must admit I took being in a CL SF almost for granted. It’s a great day lads. :)

How did you get through all that without writing "Hogson" or "Our year".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Just re-watched Firmino's goal again for the first time. From the block he made out on the wing to putting the ball in the net was 4 touches. Such a cool head in such a big game

• Advertisement

How did you get through all that without writing "Hogson" or "Our year".

There was never any real debate about Hodgson on here. He had no business managing this club and was ****ed out the door within a couple of months by FSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Theres a lot of talk of getting/avoiding Bayern Munich in the last few pages, but given the results, of the quarter finals so far, I'm not entirely writing off Sevilla yet..

They have a tough task yes, but is it insurmountable?

Just saying..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Brilliant performance , Wini first half was poor but in the second he just showed courage and it changed the game,

Trent class, Robertson class, Mane and Bobby worked there socks off,
    Lovren unreal last night  shows he has it all when he doesn't lose the head,
    Salah was Salah gone form can't finish to everything he touches goes in ,
    VVD had a few ropey moment which was off,
    I know i'll get stick but Karius looked our most nervous player, I really think we should upgrade on him

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

x43r0 wrote: »
    Just re-watched Firmino's goal again for the first time. From the block he made out on the wing to putting the ball in the net was 4 touches. Such a cool head in such a big game

The movement that Salah made off the ball first to block off Otamendi's passing channels and secondly to drag Fernandino away from Bobby's path to goal was brilliance. Absolute brilliance, and he did it by just jogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I know i'll get stick but Karius looked our most nervous player, I really think we should upgrade on him

Agreed, fluffed the clearance before the disallowed goal.

TAA has huge potential, really limited Sanés contribution over the 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Highlights from last night:

giphy.webp

(Hat tip to Dion Fanning)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Delighted with the win last night.

Seen a number of moans about the ref in the match thread and City forum. In the first game we could/should have been 4 or 5 up before last nights game, so City have their bit of luck in the first leg (where they really lost the tie). Last night, foul for the first goal which changed the theme of the match. Gave City real hope and drove them on, forcing us on the back foot. So don't want to hear moaning about the ref unless that's acknowledged first.
    After the the first half, while they did make changes, they looked gassed more than anything else; never played with the same intensity they had done, and we kinda cruised through the second half scoring two good goals.

Not having a dig at City, they have two trophies in the bag (just a matter of time before they are confirmed PL champs) and we have nothing won yet.

But what a turnaround Klopp have performed. Think back to that team he inherited. Went to the League Cup and UEFA Cup finals. Then CL football. Now CL semi and strong T4 team (with 3 wins in the season over the PL winners). Not to mention the quality of football played, great going forward and a defense which has toughen up.

I thought it was funny how little Salah did off the ball obviously by instruction he literally jogged around until the ball was giving to his feet , and still had a major part in our two goals,
    Anyone noetic how Big of a side Roma are there giants ,

Doubt you'll get stick, but apart from the poor punch, he was fine.
    Not saying we don't need an upgrade, but honestly, since he got the jersey, he hasn't really been that much of a concern that we need to drop £50-60m+ on a replacement.

After conceding the opening goal, which VVD could have done a lot better with, plenty of players looked nervous and consistently gave the ball away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

180 minutes against one of the best left wingers in football, would be fair to say TAA didn't do too badly at all.

Sane is going to destroy him, oh wait that was last week's fake news. He was fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Safe to say we have improved a bit since our last appearance in the champions league.

Roma are a big physical side and they harried Barca savagely last night - they also kicked Messi off the pitch in a very deliberate manner (different player fouling each time). Dzeko had an unbelievable game too. With a lynchpin like DeRossi knitting it all together they'll have a chance in most games. They'd cause us some specific problems.

That said, I could see ways that we might hurt them. It's harder to see that against Real or Bayern...

I think we can hurt anyone, We beat City 1-5, yeah there was some luck, it could have been a real hammering.

Doubt you'll get stick, but apart from the poor punch, he was fine.
    Not saying we don't need an upgrade, but honestly, since he got the jersey, he hasn't really been that much of a concern that we need to drop £50-60m+ on a replacement.

After conceding the opening goal, which VVD could have done a lot better with, plenty of players looked nervous and consistently gave the ball away.
    He also poor ball to VVD who clearly told him he didn't want it, Also there was a Sane cross/shot he flapped at,  Karius has been decent but why not push for the next level,

Seen a lot of Roma and a guy look Allison would seriously transform our defence, He has a presence and assurance of a real top class keeper,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

For me, best performers were Robertson, Lovren and Milner. They all did their jobs for the full 94 minutes, worked their butts off and limited the opposition in 1-2-1 scenarios. TAA was very good, but D. Silva got a lot of job on that side, although frequently due to 2v1s. VVD also very good but was ultimately culpable for their goal, although it WAS a free.

My favourite part was watching Sterling rant and rave at Sané at FT. He dived and cheated his way through the game, he's so unlikable - it was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thought Karius was very calm all the way through myself. Positioning is much improved, he is starting everything in the right place so is having to do less scampering. Nothing really terrible with his punch either, that just happens.

He's definitely upgradeable, but we really ought to remember that every keeper will let in 30+ goals a year of which around ten will be questionable as to their culpability.

He also poor ball to VVD who clearly told him he didn't want it, Also there was a Sane cross/shot he flapped at,  Karius has been decent but why not push for the next level,

Seen a lot of Roma and a guy look Allison would seriously transform our defence, He has a presence and assurance of a real top class keeper,

Karius has been superb for months. Any keeper will struggle in that game, so much pressure and such a deep defence.
    The punch, he needed to do something as the ball was dropping behind the CBs and he could have been facing a header from 10 yards out. But he didn't get the distance.
    And the cross, he did well to push it over B. Silva on the right of the box so we could regroup, he pushed it away from danger!

If we sign another new keeper, we have to assume they take a season getting used to the Prem, like Karius did. That will cost us.

Safe to say we have improved a bit since our appearance in the champions league.

That was another big theme of debate on here over the last 8 years or so. The comparisons to Arsenal and the question of what we should expect once qualified for the CL. My perception was always that - as five times winners with a long tradition of the big European night at Anfield - our goal should be to progress beyond Christmas and be positive about every two legged tie no matter who the opposition is. I found the 2014 Champions League campaign to be bitterly disappointing, including playing a second string at Real Madrid which was not in keeping with our history as a club.

Under Klopp we've done very well in European competition, taking a bunch of scalps to date: FC Augsburg, Utd, Dortmund, Villareal, Hoffenheim, Porto, Man City. Indeed, so far under Klopp we're 7 - 0 in two legged contests in Europe.

You just need to see how much the tie seemed to mean to The Ox. So many years under Wenger going out with a whimper in the business end of the European Cup. In it to win it, otherwise what is the point?

pure joy

Roma are a big physical side and they harried Barca savagely last night - they also kicked Messi off the pitch in a very deliberate manner (different player fouling each time). Dzeko had an unbelievable game too. With a lynchpin like DeRossi knitting it all together they'll have a chance in most games. They'd cause us some specific problems.

That said, I could see ways that we might hurt them. It's harder to see that against Real or Bayern...
    I think your right,
    Also I know there winning La Liga but Barcelona aren't the team they where,
    They are basically the same players of previous season's  but a lot of them past there very best ,
    In fact I don't think they have any player in there prime  there either young or past there best age ?
    Of course excluding Messi as he is just a football god,
    Maybe there keeper is the only other one in his prime ,

• Advertisement

The ball to VVD was fine, gave him plenty of time.
    Allison looks really good, but you'll see him make those mistakes as well if you watch a full season. Plus, it may cost a fortune to sign him. We have money, but we need another option in mid and rotation for the front 3 (not sure how much we have to spend).

On another night Robertson could have given away 2 pens for pushes with another ref; but we aren't crying out for a replacement LB.

Karius was fine last night. Poor punch that could have led to a goal. But 10 other players never got to grips with the first half and kept possession which led to sustained pressure.

Again, not saying he is def the answer.

That was another big theme of debate on here over the last 8 years or so. The comparisons to Arsenal and the question of what we should expect once qualified for the CL. My perception was always that - as five times winners with a long tradition of the big European night at Anfield - our goal should be to progress beyond Christmas and be positive about every two legged tie no matter who the opposition is. I found the 2014 Champions League campaign to be bitterly disappointing, including playing a second string at Real Madrid which was not in keeping with our history as a club.

Under Klopp we've done very well in European competition, taking a bunch of scalps to date: FC Augsburg, Utd, Dortmund, Villareal, Hoffenheim, Porto, Man City. Indeed, so far under Klopp we're 7 - 0 in two legged contests in Europe.

You just need to see how much the tie seemed to mean to The Ox. So many years under Wenger going out with a whimper in the business end of the European Cup. In it to win it, otherwise what is the point?

And if we draw Madrid in the semis I can guarantee Klopp won't throw out a second string team there because we have Chelsea coming in the league like what happened the last time we were in the champions league.

If and it's a big if, Liverpool win the CL, they get 40 medals. Coutinho gets one if the manger says ok.
    I'd give it to my dog before him but I don't manage Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Was MOTM awarded last night?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

On another night Robertson could have given away 2 pens for pushes with another ref; but we aren't crying out for a replacement LB.

That's where the ref played a blinder, one of them, Robertson had is arms around Sterling, but not actually touching him, as soon as Sterling glanced off one of his arms, he went down like a sack of spuds.

The 'push' in the back when jumping behind Sterling was not a push at all, that was Robertson taking that space for himself and holding position. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Kudos for the ref for spotting that. He was fairly shocking at other points during the game but on balance got things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Date Team TV
    14th Apr Bournemouth BT Sports
    21st Apr WBA (a) Sky Sports
    24th/25th Apr UCL SF 1st Leg BT Sports
    28th Apr Stoke Sky Sports
    1st/2nd May UCL SF 2nd Leg BT Sports
    5th May Chelsea (a)
    13th May Brighton

gimli2112 wrote: »
    If and it's a big if, Liverpool win the CL, they get 40 medals. Coutinho gets one if the manger says ok.
    I'd give it to my dog before him but I don't manage Liverpool.

Arrah, you give him his medal. He contributed to getting out of the group and deserves it. Beyond that, we want players to come here and stay here and part of that is having a reputation for treating players fairly and with respect. I don't see how creating bad blood with a top Brazilian player likely to be influential for another half decade helps the club's long term ambitions.

Anyway, gotta win the bloody thing first!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Safe to say we have improved a bit since our last appearance in the champions league.

Last week...?

Arrah, you give him his medal. He contributed to getting out of the group and deserves it. Beyond that, we want players to come here and stay here and part of that is having a reputation for treating players fairly and with respect. I don't see how creating bad blood with a top Brazilian player likely to be influential for another half decade helps the club's long term ambitions.

I agree with Lloyd!

(There, I said it...)

:D

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    That's where the ref played a blinder, one of them, Robertson had is arms around Sterling, but not actually touching him, as soon as Sterling glanced off one of his arms, he went down like a sack of spuds.

The 'push' in the back when jumping behind Sterling was not a push at all, that was Robertson taking that space for himself and holding position. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Kudos for the ref for spotting that. He was fairly shocking at other points during the game but on balance got things right.
    I agree.
    But you could see a ref giving those is my point.
    Sterling went down so easily a number of times last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I mentioned this many times, including in the context of the first leg.
    European games are refereed differently than EPL, ie properly. EPL refs like Mike Dean et al will give a penalty with any contact, never mind a foul. City, and sterling in particular, didn't get the memo that throwing yourself to the ground doesn't automatically entitle you to a penalty.
    There is a reason why no English referees are going to the world Cup.

He also scored a few crucical goals to get us there in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Anyone noetic how Big of a side Roma are there giants ,
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I mentioned this many times, including in the context of the first leg.
    European games are refereed differently than EPL, ie properly. EPL refs like Mike Dean et al will give a penalty with any contact, never mind a foul. City, and sterling in particular, didn't get the memo that throwing yourself to the ground doesn't automatically entitle you to a penalty.
    There is a reason why no English referees are going to the world Cup.

The only reason there are no English refs going to the the World Cup is because Clattenburg left England to go to the middle east at the start of the season when FIFA had already made their list of refs and reserves going to the World Cup. When he left England and went to Saudi Arabia he left that list as an English representative and was replaced by one of the reserves. England did try to get him replaced but FIFA said no because why should they tell a ref who was on a reserve list your not going because this other person jumped the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

genuinely happy for all the neutrals who congratulated City after the draw was made and hope they enjoy their day in work.

Many of them still noticeable by their absence in match and relevant super threads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Thud wrote: »
    :confused:

Noetic = know
    There = their/ they are or something.
    Still needs some cleaning up after that but it's a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Still coming down from the highs of last night.

Beating City over 5-1 over 2 legs is a phenomenal achievement. Who would have thought that after the draw.

Don't want to experience that first half again, it was horrendous, bar a couple of attacks.

I would like to think we won't go through an onslaught like that with the teams left in the competition so we have a bigger chance to play how we like to play in the next round.

Madrid clearly the team to avoid, and ideally a 2nd leg at home.

Then we'll just see what happens.

If we lose in the semis our rivals will slag us and boast about their superiority (Utd fans doing it last night in their thread) but for Klopp to get us to the semi finals in his first CL campaign in only his 2nd full season is one hell of an achievement and I think we're only going to build on this and get better.

Liverpool are back.

Phil Thompson on Sky, I got a EC medal in 77 because I played up to the semi final, "I tell everyone I meet I only got two."
    You might as well give Harry Kane the goal, respect is earned.

The only reason there are no English refs going to the the World Cup is because Clattenburg left England to go to the middle east at the start of the season when FIFA had already made their list of refs and reserves going to the World Cup. When he left England and went to Saudi Arabia he left that list as an English representative and was replaced by one of the reserves. England did try to get him replaced but FIFA said no because why should they tell a ref who was on a reserve list your not going because this other person jumped the queue.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_officials
    On 29 March 2018, FIFA published the list of 36 referees and 63 assistant referees, on the basis of nationality from all six football confederations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

10 UEFA refs, 20 UEFA assistant refs. Even with Clattenburg it's a terrible representation from the PL.

• Advertisement

Phil Thompson on Sky, I got a EC medal in 77 because I played up to the semi final, "I tell everyone I meet I only got two."
    You might as well give Harry Kane the goal, respect is earned.

Roy Keane doesn't count his medal as he didn't play in the final and despite being the reason Man U got to the final that year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement