Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Who was that streaking down the road outside my building, some nut-job wearing just his Liverpool top and screaming off the top of his head about "only 25 to City" and something about 12 glorious draws.. Oh wait it was just a figment of PhuckYOU!s twisted imagination that I could see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Yeah, Redmen were reporting that he wasn't being given a contract, so not so much being poached as being let go - bit of a strange one seeing that Brewster looks to be going as well when we want him to stay - could it just be that they feel there's enough young attacking talent to be dealing with or could it be a personality issue? Who knows, best of luck to him...

Where are there any concrete stories of Brewster leaving?

Why would it be strange to let this lad go if he's deemed not good enough? It's not a quantity issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

murpho999 wrote: »
    Where are there any concrete stories of Brewster leaving?

Why would it be strange to let this lad go if he's deemed not good enough? It's not a quantity issue.

It's end of season/transfer window time - there's never any concrete stories until there's an official press release - but there's been a lot of reporting on Brewster being linked with various clubs, including the potential for Liverpool to report Dortmund for tapping him up, and he hasn't signed a new contract, so it's fair to believe he could be on his way out by his own volition.

Dhanda has progressed well since he joined at 14, has had a lot of positive press, starred against Chelsea last week, is only 19, so it's fair to ask why is he being let go. And to your point, it kinda is a quantity issue in terms of maintaining the balance between financial resources to offer contract extensions and having a decent pipeline of talent to develop.
    So yeah, we have to assume they feel he's not needed, just making the point that it looks a strange one seeing as he was a talent that seemed to have impressed a lot of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Let's put aside the champions league exploits for a minute ... Is finishing 25 points behind City good enough going forward? I think from next season on-wards it has to be fully regarded as Klopp's team and i'd hope 25 points difference wont be celebrated even if top 4 is achieved...

in isolation, '25 points behind the League winners' is not a good statistic. Luckily no logical person lives life in a vacuum.

City were the first ever to hit 100 points.
    Liverpool beat them 3 times out of 4.
    We've scored more goals and let in less than last season.
    We're in the Champions League fúcking Final.
    We sold 'arguably' our most prized asset at the time, mid-season, in Coutinho.

if you take everything in totality, there is no argument that we've made progress, and all with a relatively thin squad of players.

if we'd gone out of the Champions League at the group stage, and finished miles behind, but still in top 4, you'd have seen a fair few more disgruntled people in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SlickRic wrote: »
    in isolation, '25 points behind the League winners' is not a good statistic. Luckily no logical person lives life in a vacuum.

City were the first ever to hit 100 points.
    Liverpool beat them 3 times out of 4.
    We've scored more goals and let in less than last season.
    We're in the Champions League fúcking Final.
    We sold 'arguably' our most prized asset at the time, mid-season, in Coutinho.

if you take everything in totality, there is no argument that we've made progress, and all with a relatively thin squad of players.

if we'd gone out of the Champions League at the group stage, and finished miles behind, but still in top 4, you'd have seen a fair few more disgruntled people in here.

Also think that being in the last reached of the CL and with top 4 all but secured foot was taken off in league games a little from Quarter Final until really that last game V Brighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

People have mentioned it, but Gini has been fantastic since he came in for Ox in the Roma game.

Yesterday was a real controlled performance from Liverpool, and we've seen periods of that in recent weeks that I believe stems from his calmness in the center of the park.

He's doing the simple things at a really high level, and knows when to literally stop on the ball and slow things down. Himself and VVD are by far and away are two calmest players with the ball at their feet, and the Dutch effect is slowly translating across the team.

We're always going to be a bit frantic, such is our play style, but we're getting more comfortable in possession and slowly learning how to kill teams off in a more controlled approach.

I'm actually happy to start the CL final with Gini, Hendo and Milner, such has been their performances in recent times. Lallana as an option is great too. Unlucky not to have Ox, but seeing the other lads all step up at a crucial time has been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

MD1990 wrote: »

It reads like a propaganda piece in places but it's good read. Hard to know the dynamics of what goes on behind the scenes. The bit about Klopp being concerned about Coutinho during the transfer saga rings true in that people do feel empathy for each other and likewise certain people just don't get along.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp believes there is no point ballooning something beyond what it actually is, and that often, the best decision to take is none at all.

He figures having ‘the talk’ can be self-indulgent and self-serving at times. If there is no certain benefit to a player, what exactly is the point?

*cough* Brendan Rodgers take note *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Knex. wrote: »
    People have mentioned it, but Gini has been fantastic since he came in for Ox in the Roma game.  

Yesterday was a real controlled performance from Liverpool, and we've seen periods of that in recent weeks that I believe stems from his calmness in the center of the park.

He's doing the simple things at a really high level, and knows when to literally stop on the ball and slow things down. Himself and VVD are by far and away are two calmest players with the ball at their feet, and the Dutch effect is slowly translating across the team.

We're always going to be a bit frantic, such is our play style, but we're getting more comfortable in possession and slowly learning how to kill teams off in a more controlled approach.

I'm actually happy to start the CL final with Gini, Hendo and Milner, such has been their performances in recent times. Lallana as an option is great too. Unlucky not to have Ox, but seeing the other lads all step up at a crucial time has been fantastic.
    I agree that Gini has been brilliant since he came in but just one thing that annoys me,
    There has been a number of occasions where he looks as if he will play a quick but difficult ball between the lines and at the last second decides against trying it and goes back ,
    I know he is probably told to keep the ball both at 0-0 in some of the games its what we needed to get beyond the other teams midfield,
    I think him fitting form is going to be vital next week, Plus he has an unreal engine which helps our style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The minimum requirements next season is a top 4 finish and getting out of the CL group.

The target is 90-odd points in my mind. If that's enough for a title challenge, then grand. Getting a squad that can maintain form and quality through fitness issues is the next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gbear wrote: »
    The minimum requirements next season is a top 4 finish and getting out of the CL group.

The target is 90-odd points in my mind. If that's enough for a title challenge, then grand. Getting a squad that can maintain form and quality through fitness issues is the next step.

Get over this season first

Yeah - mid-80's at the very least to deem it progress - ye gotta believe there's at least 6 - 8 more points a begging where we don't throw away a lead and end up with a draw that feels like a defeat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Anywhere to the the MATD highlights form the weekends game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Anywhere to the the MATD highlights form the weekends game?

reddit.com/r/footballhighlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

90 odd points? That would win it every season except this season. Have to expect a title challenge next season, I don't see any high profile departures so we should be able to kick on.

To be honest if we can win in 2 weeks I'll take any sort of finish next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

rob316 wrote: »
    90 odd points? That would win it every season except this season. Have to expect a title challenge next season, I don't see any high profile departures so we should be able to kick on.

Fuck that. We've been long enough in the doldrums to want to go back there again. Onwards and upwards with this side and this manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if we finish top 4 next season and another champions league final to come after it ill be delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rob316 wrote: »

There's been a few other 90+ finishes.

My point is anything beyond that is totally unreasonable to expect. If we get that many points and it's not good enough to win it, then fair play to whoever can do better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ramadan festival starts tomorrow. was wondering will salah and mane be participating in it ? hopefully they will wait until after the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ricero wrote: »
    Ramadan festival starts tomorrow. was wondering will salah and mane be participating in it ? hopefully they will wait until after the final

Do you even know what happens during Ramadan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

2GpCj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

TitianGerm wrote: »

Those who observe the islamic faith abstain from food from sunrise to sunset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

CSWS101 wrote: »

Yeah, it doesn't smack of something that's conducive to an athlete's overall performance

EDIT: Article here on it for those interested

Have a degree in theology

• Advertisement

and liquids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wise musings from a Man Utd fan on his clubs season, as well as thoughts on if Liverpool win the Champions League.

https://www.facebook.com/SPORTbible/videos/2930629483749231/

This link is broken for me, anyone know where else its published ?

So why would you expect Mane and Salah to postpone their faith for a week then? I know they can donate to charity to postpone for a time but I haven't actually heard of too many doing this?

They can still eat outside of daylight hours and most of the Muslim sports people are used to dealing with Ramadan.

Bear in mind that the club will have known this was coming up and would have had the dieticians, sports sciences and coaching staff all helping the players be in top shape for the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This link is broken for me, anyone know where else its published ?

Post 7705 in the humour thread is probably the full version of it, I didn't watch the one in the humour thread but it has the same main character, a Rooney lovechild from Manchester

Explains being a Liverpool fan.

Robbie+Fowler.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So why would you expect Mane and Salah to postpone their faith for a week then? I know they can donate to charity to postpone for a time but I haven't actually heard of too many doing this?

They can still eat outside of daylight hours and most of the Muslim sports people are used to dealing with Ramadan.

Bear in mind that the club will have known this was coming up and would have had the dieticians, sports sciences and coaching staff all helping the players be in top shape for the final.

Hey, he knew what Ramadan was, just accept it.

Not 100% sure you knew..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fr. ricero

Can't they get special exemptions and serve back the missed time after the final?

Not sure what the precedent for that is with regards to Sport, however.

Best ask the thread expert... ricero?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Fr. ricero

"Fr Ricero, maybe we should wait and see how the transfer window unfolds, maybe it'll be fine..."

Klhms0k.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Yan Dhanda is off to Swansea. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

I know Salah & Mane must be well used to it and know how to prepare for Ramadan, but you must be feckin starving come 60 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I know Salah & Mane must be well used to it and know how to prepare for Ramadan, but you must be feckin starving come 60 mins

Don't forget Can too if he is fit and travels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

The sunset in Kiev is before kick off which allows them to eat before and during match..

Sunset: 8.42 pm local time, kick off 9pm, 8pm GMT

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Any Catholics eat meat on Good Friday?
    Any Indian Hindus eat Beef?
    Any Muslims drink alcohol?

Varying degrees of religious observance all over the world and within oneself..

Woah Black Betty.. Ramadam... woah...

Heavy Metal lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

jbt123 wrote: »
    Any Catholics eat meat on Good Friday?
    Any Indian Hindus eat Beef?
    Any Muslims drink alcohol?

Varying degrees of religious observance all over the world and within oneself..

Woah Black Betty.. Ramadam... woah...

Heavy Metal lads.

Black Betty loves a fry ramadam, roast beef on rye Ramadam..

not yet wrote: »
    The sunset in Kiev is before kick off which allows them to eat before and during match..

Sunset: 8.42 pm local time, kick off 9pm, 8pm GMT

Actually they have a bit more time than that - Kiev is 2hrs ahead of us and kick-off is 7.45 our time, 9.45 their time, so they'll have time for a snack before without risking a stitch or throwing it back up in short order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gerrard looking to bring Skrtel to Scotland I wonder how many ex Liverpool players will he try for.

Also Christie-Davis to follow in Solanke's footsteps and join from Chelsea also being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Gerrard looking to bring Skrtel to Scotland I wonder how many ex Liverpool players will he try for.

What would Rangers highest earners be on up there? 15k?
    Gerard could always throw himself out there CM in an injury crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Delighted the English mourinho lost tonight. My mate is a Villa fan so final day has just been extended way hey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/timbolton1/status/996476451829542916?s=19

Not sure if anyone posted this but said I would post it in case anyone is interested in watching it

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Given that Ramadan is at a different time every year (not randomly, but it isn't at a set time) and Muslim footballers is not exactly a new thing, I imagine that this is something that clubs and players have figured out at this stage so that it won't adversely affect performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

11 more sleeps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Mr.H wrote: »
    Delighted the English mourinho lost tonight. My mate is a Villa fan so final day has just been extended way hey

He’s Welsh bro, but I get ya!

• Advertisement

Chamberlain is becoming my favourite person in football.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44121606

Got a dad and his young son tickets for the final. Same people he celebrated with in the crowd after the City game, where he gifted the 4 year old kid his jersey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement