Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

spockety wrote: »
    Horse manure.

I think you're underestimating how much the Juve fans hate Liverpool

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

LiamoSail wrote: »

I think you're underestimating how much they love Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Everyone hates Liverpool, read through the thread half of our own fan base hate us.

It'd be akin to Dalglish taking over the Retired South Yorkshire Police XI

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Everyone hates Liverpool, read through the thread half of our own fan base hate us.

You're comparing fan rivalries to the resentment still felt over Heysel. I think you've misjudged that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

spockety wrote:

We once loved Micheal Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Buffon Juve Legend will not go to Liverpool, he would never be welcome back in Turin again
    Didn't Buffon say in the past he dreamt of playing for Liverpool as a kid, Something about  dreaming of playing for European greats like Liverpool where his words

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I highly doubt Buffon would come to Liverpool but cant understand why people wouldnt want him.
    The man has won virtually everything there is to win and is a serial champion. The value of having someone like that just in the squad would be immense. Raise the bar so to speak.

Anyway it wont happen but would be great for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Horse manure.

Is it about former Juve players respecting the club or being afraid of the ultras? Buffon mightn't be scared of them.

gafferino wrote: »
    I highly doubt Buffon would come to Liverpool but cant understand why people wouldnt want him.
    The man has won virtually everything there is to win and is a serial champion. The value of having someone like that just in the squad would be immense. Raise the bar so to speak.

Agree entirely. Even if his performances were mediocre, he'd add a hell of a lot to the defensive organisation and presumably the attitude behind the scenes

• Advertisement

I'd have buffon here in a second. If anything else he would be someone the test of the keepers can learn from ala vvd with the rest bot the defence. He may be on the way down but he is still a top class keeper. Even for one season so we can spend our budget elsewhere. Next season then we can spend big on a keeper if we are still unsure of Karius. Migs is gone imo

ush wrote: »
    Is it about former Juve players respecting the club or being afraid of the ultras? Buffon mightn't be scared of them.

I guess it's about the players respecting the fans wishes and their own legacy at Juve. Similar to the likes of Gerrard or Benitz being unwilling to work for United, though obviously the Liverpool/Juve dynamic is significantly more emotive.

I was taken aback relatively recently in Germany, I saw someone (I guess an Italian tourist) with a Juve tshirt. Couldn't understand the text but had the words "Liverpool" and "Heysel". I doubt it was a reference to the game itself. The hate hasn't gone away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If Klopp thinks Karius can be the long term solution I just don't see him bringing someone in who would block his progress and it seems very unlikely Buffon would sign as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Christ, the transfer window is being made even more insufferable with click-bait - best one so far I found today from a few days ago was that Real are about to bid £96m for Keita?!? - and we're now in the territory of one useless rag making something up and then all the other rags jumping on it and saying 'X' have reported and then embellish it, so we have these self-expanding mountains of bullsh!t that are based on nothing and exist purely for clicks.

My (not-so) bold prediction is that there will be no announcements of anything from the club between now and the 26th to avoid any distractions from the game at hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It'd be akin to Dalglish taking over the Retired South Yorkshire Police XI

Oh man I laughed at that. Brilliant.

gafferino wrote: »

Agree entirely. Even if his performances were mediocre, he'd add a hell of a lot to the defensive organisation and presumably the attitude behind the scenes
    It would be amazing for our young keepers to work with him ,
    Imagine with got the Ac keeper and Buffon in to help him for the year ,That would be class ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mr.H wrote: »
    We once loved Micheal Owen

who once loved Owen? I always preferred Fowler over Owen

That's like saying I preferred Dalglish to keegan. Doesn't mean I didn't love keegan. Owen when he was here was adored by all of our fans. From the day he made his debut and banging in goals constantly he was unreal. The guy won the balon dor FFS. To say he wasn't loved it just proving the point that no matter how good you are your legacy can be forgotten by making a career choice.

I doubt many arsenal fans speak fondly of van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I loved Owen so much that I got his name on my Liverpool Jersey before realising that I didn't have enough money to get the number too, thought 4 letters would leave me with more than enough. In my defense I was about 10 and planning has never been my strong point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I put a plaster on my nose when I was 8 playing football. Think that shows who I preferred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Buffon would be a ridiculous signing.

Has anyone watched him recently? - His reactions and speed have totally gone - he's over 40 FFS!

Great player in his day, but that day is long gone - Surly a couple of seasons in MLS would be perfect for him.

I'd much rather we gave Karius another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Owen from 1997 to 2004 was amazing and if he walked across the Mersey I don't think anyone would have been shocked.

MD1990 wrote:
    I put a plaster on my nose when I was 8 playing football. Think that shows who I preferred.

I grew a tash and spoke with a Welsh accent when I was 8. Guess who I preferred lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What about Antonio Nunez though lads

LEGEND

Not a hope Buffon is signing. I'd hope we have better ambitions than that.

We should be looking at signing a number 1 keeper. Karius is doing ok, but definately room for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

It would be amazing for our young keepers to work with him ,
    Imagine with got the Ac keeper and Buffon in to help him for the year ,That would be class ,

This is it. Buffon knows exactly how old he is and may be more than willing to play back-up/mentor to Karius (while getting game time in the cups). Who knows, maybe Buffon is looking at getting into coaching/management and see's working with Klopp and his goalkeepers as the perfect role for him?

Would take him in a second if there was any chance. Wouldn't be too worried about the animosity between the clubs. Sure didn't Rush sign for them not long after Heysel when emotions would've been running a lot higher than now.

Buffon would be a ridiculous signing.

Has anyone watched him recently? - His reactions and speed have totally gone - he's over 40 FFS!

Great player in his day, but that day is long gone - Surly a couple of seasons in MLS would be perfect for him.

I'd much rather we gave Karius another season.
    People don't seem to be getting that we wont sign him to be first choice ,
    It's to help our keepers for a season the guy is the most experience keeper in the world at the top level,
    He will bring so much to the younger keepers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Buffon wants to join a team he knows has a chance at winning the Champions League.

So if he see Liverpool as one of those teams that a complement to the work Klopp is doing at Liverpool.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

People don't seem to be getting that we wont sign him to be first choice ,
    It's to help our keepers for a season the guy is the most experience keeper in the world at the top level,
    He will bring so much to the younger keepers

It doesn't matter because we won't be signing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MD1990 wrote: »

Adam Ant?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I grew my hair long, dyed it blonde, wore a hair band and took up Spanish lessons, guess who I preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

rob316 wrote: »
    I grew my hair long, dyed it blonde, wore a hair band and took up Spanish lessons, guess who I preferred.

1500e8e72933a52252c0326866ab317e.jpg
    Shakira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rob316 wrote: »

Thats nothing mate, Ive grown a shaggy beard and converted to Islam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

fyfe79 wrote: »
    This is it. Buffon knows exactly how old he is and may be more than willing to play back-up/mentor to Karius (while getting game time in the cups). Who knows, maybe Buffon is looking at getting into coaching/management and see's working with Klopp and his goalkeepers as the perfect role for him?
    Buffon is known to be a home bird, if he wanted to get into coaching, I am sure he'd much rather do it in Italy, than to live in rainy Liverpool earning buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

ush wrote: »
    Pirlo and Buffon have both said in the past that nobody else should have a place in the decisions of players regarding their career. Totti recently said something similar - he regrets that he allowed himself to be influenced into not leaving Roma.

What Del Piero said about the possibility of him signing for Liverpool was sometime after the Ultras had made their feelings known. Like Pirlo, Buffon is his own man - If he wants to join Liverpool he will provided the club want him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

D'Agger wrote: »
    What about Antonio Nunez though lads

LEGEND

Sure he's practically one of our own....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/speaking-in-tongues-the-irishman-teaching-liverpool-fc-how-to-talk-1.895346
    Then there was Antonio Nunez (who has since left Liverpool for Celta Vigo). The first time I met him he said 'Ballybrack! Tesco car park!' I said 'what?' He had been a Spanish student in Dublin, and the Tesco car park was where he used to meet up with all his friends. And here he was, a few years later, a professional footballer with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

8-10 wrote: »

Is this the guy that posts here sometimes livinginkorea think it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mightyreds wrote: »

Not sure I know he was doing that job alright but not sure if this is the same guy, would make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats nothing mate, Ive grown a shaggy beard and converted to Islam

Pfft, I fought a guerrilla war in southeastern Africa and had talks with a shady gambling consortium, ONE LOVE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mightyreds wrote: »

Don't think it's the same person. Thought livinginkorea gave Emre Can English lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't think it's the same person. Thought livinginkorea gave Emre Can English lessons.

Yeah i remember him saying that, thought it might of been through the same set up

"And if I had a pound for every time I was asked 'are you teaching English to Jamie and Stevie?' I'd be a very, very rich man," says Healy

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

murpho999 wrote: »

He did apparently. Fucking useless at his job too - Can clearly unable to say "I want to stay." All his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

The article is years old. When Klopp took over Liverpool he took over his own team of English trainers from a school in Dortmund. These are the same lads that spent a few months on a North Sea island called Sylt amonst other places getting himself and his team ready for the job. One of the lads is a German, the other is Irish and the third who flies in and out when needed is from England but living in Germany over 30 years. It was important that they all spoke German as many of the team and their partners speak the language.....Mane, Karius, Matip, Migs, Lovren....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Quiet in here...

So, a week to go. What are everyone's plans for the match? I'll either go watch it in a friend's house, like I did in 2005, or watch it at home (2007).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Watch at home for me. Circumstances have changed for me since 05 (pub) and 07 (at match).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2005 watched in an apartment in update New York while at my companies training facility/college (got wrapped the next day for leaving so early!!)

2007 - can't remember, must have watched at home

2018 - will be watching here at my (new) home.

Also hoping a few Real Madrid players pick up a few knocks today away at Villarreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

5starpool wrote: »
    Watch at home for me. Circumstances have changed for me since 05 (pub) and 07 (at match).

Wife is at a hen tonight so have a free pass for next week. Talk of McGarrys but will see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ticket arrived to watch the game in Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

jasonb wrote: »
    Quiet in here...

So, a week to go. What are everyone's plans for the match? I'll either go watch it in a friend's house, like I did in 2005, or watch it at home (2007).

You'll watch it at that friends house and you'll like it!
    There's no room for jinxing jinxers here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement