Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Wheety wrote: »
    Hope he's learned that that doesn't work too well. We end up inviting pressure. Should have beaten Roma 5-0 in the 1st leg :mad:

Hopefully the front 3 will have rested enough over the previous 2 weeks that they're all able to go to the very end. Remember when they came off in earlier games, it was to protect them for the following games etc.. It's all or nothing on Saturday night, and I'm sure the front 3 will all want to go the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Wonder will we be wearing our new home strip for the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Think I read that we have to wear the '17-18 one, as we have to wear the same one we started the competition with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No is the simple answer ,
    The long one is you can only wear the kits that you have confirmed at the start of the European season , so basically you can't change them during a European campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rgace wrote: »
    I would guess Matip is going if we are buying a new centre back, I wouldn't be too bothered by that.

I'd say you're right - Matip wasn't as good this season as last and his injuries have been an issue. I'd have no issue with him staying but he'd be after Van Dijk, Lovren and a new CB in the pecking order for me.
    Lascelles is at a completely different level to Tarkowski.

Would rather spend a big chunk getting Lascelles than take Tarkowski on a free.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of them but they're not exactly the same style of CB, are they? That's what would make me doubt this rumour more than anything!

Think I read that we will be wearing this season's jersey. The new one was unveiled at the last league game but it's back to the current one for the final afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I apply my usual rule when it comes to transfer guff at this time of the year.

Unless they are pictured in the jersey leaning against something at Melwood.... It's all shitetalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

gimli2112 wrote: »
    mourinho's a one trick pony. get in, spend billions, us against them (not original), DEFENCE, get a big guy up front, DEFENCE, bully the small teams, get wingers for the big guy, success breads a monster.
    Klopp on the other hand..............

United were ****e against the small teams this year. Excellent record against big teams. The defence comprises of Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and two aging wingers. They also do not play with traditional wingers at all and a full back is the extent of their right wing. Lukaku is a big man in size but doesn't really play a big man style of game like a Drogba or a Costa.

Is Mourinho now (if not always) not just playing a brand of Allardyce or Pulis football with significantly better players (or more expensive, better paid players at least)?

Most teams, and Liverpool in particular at times over the least few seasons, struggle to breakdown mid table and below teams that are well disciplined and sit back with two holding midfielders, relying on a “big man” up front to cause trouble.

It’s not rocket science that using the same tactics when you have 500mil of investment will generate some positive results. Whether those tactics can now win a PL when City have taken things to another level or whether deploying those tactics makes Mourinho still one of the best managers in the world remains to be seen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The long one is you can only wear the kits that you have confirmed at the start of the European season , so basically you can't change them during a European campaign

Could they wear the orange one?

A psychological curve ball to throw Madrid - plus they've been invincible in orange all season.

Obviously not going to happen - but it would be funny.

A psychological curve ball to throw Madrid - plus they've been invincible in orange all season.

I'm not 100%  sure if they can chose which jersey, Obviously they will go Red but that's an interesting question , can they decide to wear there away or third jersey ?

I just read that before in the  champions league Napoli as the home team decided to wear there 3rd kit in a home game against Arsenal as it was there lucky kit,
    So I guess as long as it does not clash then yes you can decided ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I apply my usual rule when it comes to transfer guff at this time of the year.

Unless they are pictured in the jersey leaning against something at Melwood.... It's all shitetalk.

The newest rule of transfers is that whoever Klopp signs is the right player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Delaney in that link also states Jack Butland is the likely goalkeeper target.

Well Pearce shot that down a few weeks back.

I know which one I believe more.

Lascelles has 5 years left on his contract Newcastle would want crazy VVD type money for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/DaveOCKOP/status/998539670299594752?s=19

89: Liverpool lead 2-1. Liverpool heading for their 6th Champions League. Allez, Allez, Allez fills the stadium air.
    90: PENALTY!!! Marcello floats a hopefull ball up towards Liverpool's penalty area. Lovern is caught of position and in an attempt to make up for his mistake fouls Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Yeah I get uneasy when Lovren starts talking what he will do in the media etc.

Has backfired on him in the past hopefully Saturday he has the game of his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

brevity wrote: »

Lovren on Ronaldo: "We will stop him together. Sometimes it will be one-on-one and it's a challenge, but I'm ready for it. I'm ready for everything."

It was nice while it lasted, lads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

89: Liverpool lead 2-1. Liverpool heading for their 6th Champions League. Allez, Allez, Allez fills the stadium air.
    90: PENALTY!!! Marcello floats a hopefull ball up towards Liverpool's penalty area. Lovern is caught of position and in an attempt to make up for his mistake fouls Ronaldo.

The game after Lovren speaks at a press conference he makes a f*ck up.

I really hope this one is different, and he gets the winner...off his arse...in the last minute.

Allez. Allez. Allez.

96: And just as we looked to be heading into extra time, Ronaldo has put the ball into his own net with the last touch of the game effectively, with the referee blowing up directly after the restart.

Good old Ronnie.

5starpool wrote: »
    96: And just as we looked to be heading into extra time, Ronaldo has put the ball into his own net with the last touch of the game effectively, with the referee blowing up directly after the restart.

Good old Ronnie.

Sure doesn't he always find the net in the big games, aren't we consistently told!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

noodler wrote: »
    Apart from one year in Porto, doesn't he rely on the chequebook more than any other manager?

I just don't see his man management skills.

Just since his first term Chelsea days.

He can set a team up not to get beat alright. Probably the least you'd expect for the couple of hundred million he gets to spend every year.

I don't disagree.

He gets results. You can't argue with that. Portugeese, Serie A, La Liga and Premier League titles. Champions Leagues with 2 clubs.

It's horrible to watch in the past few years but it was outstanding at Chelsea in his first spell.

I don't like Jose as much as the next Liverpool fan but you can't deny that he doesn't get results. He has won 2 cups already with the Mancs.

Even this year, United's finishing position was the highest since Fergie left. 81 points in the League is a fair achievement no matter how much he has spent.

In saying that I wouldn't' swap him for Klopp, not in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

A Lascelles and Van Dijk partnership is mouthwatering stuff. Two big and powerful heavyweights who are great in the air and good with the ball at their feet.

Excited and nervous for the game this saturday. i just hope this team shows up and we give it our best shot. Far too often over the past few years we have failed to show up in big games and finals.

ricero wrote: »
    Excited and nervous for the game this saturday. i just hope this team shows up and we give it our best shot. Far too often over the past few years we have failed to show up in big games and finals.

Anything to be said for Ramos & Marcello both getting sent off and the Pool sauntering to a 5-0 win? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Liverpool may kick on next year, and I really hope they do. However, you would have said the same in '01, and '05 though.
    Not really sure what your point was. In 2001/2 and 2005/6, Liverpool finished with 80+ points in the league. Both seasons were massive improvements on the one before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

was buvac at training?

was buvac at training?

Why would he be? Still not coming back this season (at least) by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Good old Ronnie.

Nice choice of minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

I'm not 100% sure if they can chose which jersey, Obviously they will go Red but that's an interesting question , can they decide to wear there away or third jersey ?

Not sure about that but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Madrid had been designated the home team but because their strip is white, we can wear the red strip, so I guess that means we could go with the loyalist strip, but would chose the traditional red strip as, well, we are the Reds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Why would he be? Still not coming back this season (at least) by all accounts.

thought i seen he was back in liverpool last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

L9ot of talk today that we are looking at Tarkoski and  Lascelles,
    Personally I think Dejan is miles ahead of both ,
    It must infuriate Jurgen to have a guy with all the physical tool to be one of the best in the world but panic's to often,

• Advertisement

Lascelles is a better athlete than Lovren.

He would be a very good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How about buy Lascelles, and loan them Gomez (if Rafa is staying).

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lascelles is a better athlete than Lovren.

He would be a very good signing.
    Is he ? what iv seen of him he doesn't look as quick or as good in the air as Dejan,
    Plus he tends to have his full backs close for cover which he will not have at Liverpool .
    What is he like with the ball at his feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Transfer Rumour List from reasonable quality sources

Fekir
    Dembele
    Tarkoski
    Lascelles
    Butland
    Talisca
    Jorginho
    Leite
    Lucas Torreira NEW

Anyone else?

Aspas made the Spainish World Cup squad.

More and more of the transfer committee signings and targets really are showing why there were after them.

Reina goes again as the mascot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Umaro wrote: »
    Nobody does the dark arts better than Real Madrid. I really hope we don't get sucked in by that stuff. They have so much more experience than us at managing these big games.

In saying that, I'm still so excited for this Saturday - the week is going to crawl by :eek:

correct..... world class WUM's and oscar nominated play actors..

Ronaldo, Ramos & Bale with a supporting cast of Marcelo, Asensio and Benzema...

Hopefully the ref will not fall for their nonsense. My worst nightmare is for them to be ahead on 65 as the rest of the game would not be worth watching... ball out of play and 'head injuries' galore..

We need to nullify Modric. I feel they will bypass our press by knocking chipped balls into Ronaldo and Bale (or Benzema).

We will prob do the same when Modric, Casemiro and Kroos will be pressing us. Hopefully we can get Ramos & Marcelo booked early.

Munich had a rake of chances against them...would like the same and i'd like to think we'd be a bit more clinical than them..

I'd be delighted if we get ahead around 20, would be nicer with a second around 45+1. Let them score around 55 and then catch them on the break around 75.

Hopefully we can also test this Navas lad in goal as he seems to be a bit dodgy..

Aspas made the Spainish World Cup squad.

Ahead of Morata and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Just proves that the transfer committee identified good players, just not suited to us or maybe England in general unfortunately.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Just proves that the transfer committee identified good players, just not suited to us or maybe England in general unfortunately.

Or perhaps particularly Rodgers. He seemed a fairly stubborn ****er when it came to players he didn't specifically request. By any rationale, it was madness not to keep Aspas the season we sent him away on loan, given how light we were up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think Aspas was bad timing more than anything. He was never getting in ahead of Suarez and Sturridge wasn’t as broken as he is now.

Would also be wary of how much some of the Lascelles experts on both sides of the debate have actually seen of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Or perhaps particularly Rodgers. He seemed a fairly stubborn ****er when it came to players he didn't specifically request. By any rationale, it was madness not to keep Aspas the season we sent him away on loan, given how light we were up front.

At the same time Aspas couldn't even take a corner when with us which you can't blame Rodgers for.
    He got in the Spanish squad ahead of Morata but him being in it probably says more about their options than it does his talent.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think Aspas was bad timing more than anything. He was never getting in ahead of Suarez and Sturridge wasn’t as broken as he is now.

Would also be wary of how much some of the Lascelles experts on both sides of the debate have actually seen of him.

It was but when Suarez was sold he could have been kept.

The corner probably ended his Liverpool career though.

Lovern. Stop talking please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

MD1990 wrote: »
    It was but when Suarez was sold he could have been kept.

The corner probably ended his Liverpool career though.

Definitely even if we had the stellar options of Rickie Lambert and Balotelli.

As said, ‘The Rodgers’ had his favourites and players like Aspas and Asaidi were never getting a fair chance.

Karius kicked a goal kick out for a corner a hundred times worse than Aspas's corner.

The difference is Karius had a manager who had faith and trust in him.

Aspas has also been thee top scorer outside of Messi, Ronnie & Luis in Spain the last two seasons a well deserved call up for him.

ERG89 wrote: »
    At the same time Aspas couldn't even take a corner when with us which you can't blame Rodgers for.
    He got in the Spanish squad ahead of Morata but him being in it probably says more about their options than it does his talent.

ffs, he took a bad corner, it was embarrassing, but it says next to nothing about him as a player really. (wtf was he doing taking that corner anyway?)

I'm also not blaming Rodgers for his performance. He shouldn't have played any more that season than he did, he was rightly 4th in the pecking order behind Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling - but with Suarez leaving, he should have been kept around for the following season. Was no benefit to sending him off on loan.

And he's in the Spanish squad because (two years in a row) he was only outscored in La Liga by Messi, Ronaldo, and Suarez. More than Griezmann, Ascensio, Bale etc.

Transfer Rumour List from reasonable quality sources

Fekir
    Dembele
    Tarkoski
    Lascelles - Not really sure.
    Butland God please no!!!!!
    Talisca - No Idea.
    Jorginho
    Leite - No Idea.
    Lucas Torreira NEW - No Idea.

Anyone else?

Alisson.
    Pulisic

Add a proper to quality CB to the four highlighted and I think we maybe able to give City a challenge.

Off to google and wikipedia the No Idea to become an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Mo Salah : A football fairy tale. C4 10pm tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

~Rebel~ wrote: »

BR didn't rate him. In hindsight its a poor decision but at the time I didn't see much of a decent player in him at all and BR would have seen a lot more to come to his decision tbf to him.

There were a few reports of him not learning English and not fitting in with his team mates either and keeping to himself. England and Liverpool was just not a good fit for him by the sounds of it. Maybe the club should have done more, but he done well for himself now and someone else is reaping the rewards of that. These things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Lucas Torreira
    Tenacious little player but a tidy passer - James Milner understudy/replacement.

We were also linked with Bryan Cristante (Benfica, on loan at Atalanta) who is more of a rampaging beast (Emre Can) type - charges forward with the ball from midfield. Juventus were linked with him as an alternative option to Can, which might be where the link with Liverpool came from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement