Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone notice how big of a side Roma are? They're giants.
    Thud wrote: »
    :confused:
    Noetic = know
    There = their/ they are or something.
    Still needs some cleaning up after that but it's a start

Give him a break, he's probably still hungover. Anyway, fixed it, see above.
    (That said, given his username.... maybe not....)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just digging a bit more into Klopp's European record generally:

2005 - 06; Mainz; UEFA Cup; Qualifying round (Sevilla)
    2010 - 11; Dortmund; Europa League; Group Stages
    2011 - 12; Dortmund; Champions League; Group Stages
    2012 - 13; Dortmund; Champions League; Runners Up (Bayern Munich)
    2013 - 14; Dortmund; Champions League; Quarter Finalists (Real Madrid)
    2014 - 15; Dortmund; Champions League; Second Round (Juventus)
    2015 - 16; Liverpool; Europa League; Runners Up (Sevilla)
    2017 - 18; Liverpool; Champions League; Semi Finalists

Overall, I'd say it's a good record with a slow start. The real strength within his record is his two legged tie W / L, which is currently at 12 - 3 (for comparison, Benitez is 28 - 9 lifetime in European two legged ties).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One thing that really annoyed me last night was Otamendi rolling around in the ground like a big child. Himself and Ederson really tried to have Mane sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_officials
    On 29 March 2018, FIFA published the list of 36 referees and 63 assistant referees, on the basis of nationality from all six football confederations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

10 UEFA refs, 20 UEFA assistant refs. Even with Clattenburg it's a terrible representation from the PL.

The ref list has been published since last November. Anyways who cares :) we all know the prem refs have been terrible this year and heck even that ref of last night is going to the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

greatest thing about the "was it offside" "was it a goal" controversy last night is realising 13 years later Mourinho still thinks Garcia's goal shouldn't have counted.
    still think there was a bigger gulf in class between Chelsea 05 and City 18, can't believe we beat either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

TitianGerm wrote:
    One thing that really annoyed me last night was Otamendi rolling around in the ground like a big child. Himself and Ederson really tried to have Mane sent off.

It makes it all the more sweater that that shower are out

TitianGerm wrote: »

Mane should have done an Otamendi and went down rolling around when Ederson started pushing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

10 UEFA refs, 20 UEFA assistant refs. Even with Clattenburg it's a terrible representation from the PL.

Kinda pointless mentioning the 20 UEFA assistant referees.
    Once an English referee wasn't picked (for whatever reason) then by definition there was going to be no English assistants. They always pick single country teams of three from UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Arrah, you give him his medal. He contributed to getting out of the group and deserves it. Beyond that, we want players to come here and stay here and part of that is having a reputation for treating players fairly and with respect. I don't see how creating bad blood with a top Brazilian player likely to be influential for another half decade helps the club's long term ambitions.

Anyway, gotta win the bloody thing first!! :pac:
    That's debatable - He refused to play for Liverpool before the transfer window closed which meant Liverpool qualified for the group stage without him. His contribution during the group stage was that he showed up for the 7-0 games against Maribor and Spartak Moscow. He went on strike again before the transfer window opened.

He turned his back on his Liverpool team mates - I'd let the squad decide whether or not he should have a medal. If they said yes, tell him he had to publicly ask for it. Himself and his agent were quite happy to use the media to force his move to Barcelona, would they have the balls to try the same to get him a Champions League medal? if he had any self respect he wouldn't want the medal if Liverpool were to win the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I mentioned this many times, including in the context of the first leg.
    European games are refereed differently than EPL, ie properly. EPL refs like Mike Dean et al will give a penalty with any contact, never mind a foul. City, and sterling in particular, didn't get the memo that throwing yourself to the ground doesn't automatically entitle you to a penalty.
    There is a reason why no English referees are going to the world Cup.

The only reason there are no English refs going to the the World Cup is because Clattenburg left England to go to the middle east at the start of the season when FIFA had already made their list of refs and reserves going to the World Cup. When he left England and went to Saudi Arabia he left that list as an English representative and was replaced by one of the reserves. England did try to get him replaced but FIFA said no because why should they tell a ref who was on a reserve list your not going because this other person jumped the queue.
    That's actually not true not at all  I read an article on it the other day , Clattenberg was the only one who qualified due to the credits given nothing to do with late replacement, The other ref's just aren't good enough ,
    The above was something Dermot Gallagher said on TV and it was a lie to save face ,simply no truth in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Mane should have done and Otamendi and went down rolling around when Ederson started pushing him

If mane had of pushed Ederson back he'd have been sent off. Four times Ederson pushed him, I thought he kept his cool very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Kinda pointless mentioning the 20 UEFA assistant referees.
    Once an English referee wasn't picked (for whatever reason) then by definition there was going to be no English assistants. They always pick single country teams of three from UEFA.
    Not pointless at all, just putting it out there for people.
    Is there another PL ref that even comes close to making it to the WC? I don't think so. I can't think of many active PL refs that have all that much CL experience.

you can say what you want but factually I'm drunk and Liverpool are the best English team in Europe, this year. Beer is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/el_mansfield/status/983905327526559744?s=19

I'm not sure if this is true but if it is it's incredibly cool.

Need to find a clip somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If there another PL ref that even comes close to making it to the WC? I don't think so. I can't think of many active PL refs that have all that much CL experience.

Michael Oliver has had plenty of ECL games, inc one of tonights quarter finals.
    Hopefully he red cards Ronaldo and a few other RM players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I really like gini in that role, give us a different option now as he plays the role differently to Henderson. Could also release Henderson a bit more at times aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

murpho999 wrote: »
    Is it fair to say that TAA was our best player over two legs?

Milner for me. TAA, Mané and Lovren close behind

There were a few incidents during the game - Oxlade-Chamberlain tackled Sterling in front of the referee, the ball broke forward for City. Jesus's immediate reaction when the referee didn't give a free was to crumple in front of Lovren trying to get another.

Sane shoved Mane in the back when he was clearing the ball which went for a throw, minutes later crumpled looking for a free kick when Alexander-Arnold shoved him in the back as the ball went out for a corner.

De Bruyne put more energy into appealing for a free kick when Firmino won the ball from him than he exerted in the rest of the second half of the game.

It would be sickening if moments like that turned the game, but that sort of stuff just makes the result sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

8-10 wrote: »
    Milner for me. TAA, Mané and Lovren close behind

Yep - not something I expected to be saying before the two legs but how good was Dejan Lovren?

Very impressed with TAA, Milner and Robertson, Henderson in the first leg.

Still buzzing after the way that game went. Reckon its only Roma fans who are happier than Liverpool this morning!!!

• Advertisement

Enjoy the silence from outside in relation to Virgil Van Dijk.

Biggest fee for a defender in history.
    People taking the p out of Klopp, and the club, for paying that amount of money.
    People saying he couldn't possibly be that good if 'City didn't go in harder for him', or some other big club didn't try for him.

the silence is now deafening.
    he's changed our defence.
    we can actually soak up pressure when we choose to, meaning our lads can actually take a rest in a game, rather than thinking they have to score a thousand goals.

the man is a monster. i hope it keeps going. and i hope I keep on hearing absolutely fúck all from those who were taking the mick out of us previously for the move.

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/el_mansfield/status/983905327526559744?s=19

I'm not sure if this is true but if it is it's incredibly cool.

Need to find a clip somewhere.
    Bernardo Silva actually got a touch on the ball during that sequence but it was a header.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Looking at the celebrations from the players after the game. Its fair to say that in comparison to the team that just moved 13 pts behind their title winning city rivals with a 3 2 win on saturday our celebrations on reaching a CL SF were quite tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

And if we draw Madrid in the semis I can guarantee Klopp won't throw out a second string team there because we have Chelsea coming in the league like what happened the last time we were in the champions league.

Captain obvious wants his job back! Of course we won't be putting a 2nd string out in a CL semi final, that is so obvious it hardly needed to be posted. The situation now and when we previously played Madrid are in no way comparable, we pretty much have top 4 locked up, we'll have the luxury of resting players in league matches. It's just a jibe at BR on your behalf and IIRC the 2nd string actually out performed the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gimli2112 wrote: »
    greatest thing about the "was it offside" "was it a goal" controversy last night is realising 13 years later Mourinho still thinks Garcia's goal shouldn't have counted.

Should have been a penalty regardless....actually come to think of it wasn't Salah's goal last night remarkably similar to that Garcia goal? Replace Baros with Mané....will have to watch them both again

SlickRic wrote: »
    Enjoy the silence from outside in relation to Virgil Van Dijk.

Biggest fee for a defender in history.
    People taking the p out of Klopp, and the club, for paying that amount of money.
    People saying he couldn't possibly be that good if 'City didn't go in harder for him', or some other big club didn't try for him.

the silence is now deafening.
    he's changed our defence.
    we can actually soak up pressure when we choose to, meaning our lads can actually take a rest in a game, rather than thinking they have to score a thousand goals.

the man is a monster. i hope it keeps going. and i hope I keep on hearing absolutely fúck all from those who were taking the mick out of us previously for the move.

seeing Klopp's post match interview I'd say VVD was going crazy at half time and Klopp had to shout him down, brilliant all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Maybe because it was a foul and that scumbag Mane kicked Ederson in the head and you wonder why he was pissed off with Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Salah 39 goals (44 games) is 3 goals off Roger Hunts 42 (46 games) in a season and 8 off Rush's 47 (65 games) in a season with at least 7 more games to go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Maybe because it was a foul and that scumbag Mane kicked Ederson in the head and you wonder why he was pissed off with Mane.

We all know it was Ederson that headbutted Mane's boot.

• Advertisement

SSN presenter just said "Jurgen Klopp called them the best team in the world but yet again Manchester United are knocked out of the champions league"
    normally I only get my giddy once a year, thanks Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Mane issued a public apology after the Ederson incident earlier in the season. Not many players would do that. He oozes class, on and off the field.
    He got pushed three of four times in the chest by Ederson and did well not to respond to blatant provocation . All the while, Otamendi rolled around for two minutes like a little whingebag....he got his just deserts later though. Bobby sorted that out. :)

It was a 50/50 in fact Mane slipped but don't let facts get in the way of what you think happened and yes it is a Champions League even thou Barcelona and Man City are not in the semi final

Roma coach seems mental, I'm afraid of him.

50-50 one was getting flattened one was getting sent off , unfortunately is was Ederson who got there first hardly a scumbag move both players really had eyes on the ball , I understand the red card but there was no intent for Mane to hurt Ederson or the other way around in my opinion it was two fully committed players going for a ball ,
    Otamendoi seriously milked it last night , Mane slipped trying to put the breaks on was a free kick but nothing more,

The only scumbag on the pitch last night was Raheem Sterling - in the 65th minute he threw himself on top of a prone Virgil Van Dijk, tried to drive his trailing foot into the back of the defender's head and then appealed for a free kick when Van Dijk shrugged him off. Another big game performance from young Raheem.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    The only scumbag on the pitch last night was Raheem Sterling - in the 65th minute he threw himself on top of a prone Virgil Van Dijk, tried to drive his trailing foot into the back of the defender's head and then appealed for a free kick when Van Dijk shrugged him off. Another big game performance from young Raheem.
    The ref booked VVD aswell for that  , it was the worse booking iv ever seen ,
    He literally stood up and got a booking for it,
    Ps I don't think Raheem meant to hurt him, just tried to leave his leg in to get a free,

Anyone know how booking work from here on in ?
    Are all yellows cleared ? and do two in the semi's mean you miss the final ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

SlickRic wrote: »

In fairness Rafa won it with djimi traore😂

The ref booked VVD aswell for that  , it was the worse booking iv ever seen ,
    He literally stood up and got a booking for it,
    Ps I don't think Raheem meant to hurt him, just tried to leave his leg in to get a free,
    I think his intention was to spark a reaction from Van Dijk but it didn't happen.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Roma coach seems mental, I'm afraid of him.

And Klopp isn't mental?

:pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone know how booking work from here on in ?
    Yes
    Are all yellows cleared ?
    Yes
    and do two in the semi's mean you miss the final ?
    Yes

Talisman wrote: »

it's probably on this thread but someone tweeted last night "If Sterling was still at Liverpool our front three would be Salah, Firmino and Mane"

I think you need to calm down a little buddy. Look at the replay again and you'll see Mane moves his foot away from Otamendi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I was drinking bottles like it was 2007 last night (sadly it wasn't Rolling Rock). So when I was asked who MOTM was I actually struggled but I think Gini Wijnaldum deserves special mention, particularly in the build up for Salahs goal. Thought he popped up and made himself an option non stop all night. I think it's a credit to the hard work of Ox & Milner that I don't recall them having any major moments but they were diligent in closing and putting City under pressure.

TAA was very, very good once again, deserves the plaudits from Gerrard for being so composed at 19.

Defence was brilliant. Great to see Karius being consistent, Van Dijk & Lovern look very solid and I straight up love Robertson, hon the lefties etc. etc.

CL Semi Final, unreal. Was full of dread when we got City, now there's no fear, I'll enjoy our remaining two and hopefully 3 games. Fair dues to Klopp and what he's achieved particularly when you look at the squad for the 2nd leg. When you consider this season we effectively lost Lallana and we've had to wait a year for what many percieve to be the missing piece of our midfield in Keita.

We've purchased well and stripped alot of deadweight from the squad this year. CL football next year all going well, and an amazing CL run will mean we're in a strong position to continue to further build a squad that could see us competing for the league next year and continuing to feel at home in the latter stages of the CL as things were when Benitez was at the helm.

It's all incredibly exciting to think about what's happened at the club the past 2/3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Only conceeding once in that first half,under that much sustained pressure was brilliant,lads giving out it was a terrible performance were wrong,we had no option,city were too good in first half,but we held on,huge credit deserved, think they had 4 shots on target the entire game and two were from outside the area...

Our defense can't be questioned any more, but let them off thinking it's crap,works for us,

Come at us at your peril

Proud of that performance,shut up a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Given the scrutiny and pressure he was under, and the amount of doubt being loudly expressed about him (including from myself), I'm so impressed at how TAA performed and conducted himself over the last week. He's only 19, not a 'natural' full back, and he was boss.

Well done, sir, very well done indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Could somebody please clarify the situation with yellow cards now for the semis as I don't think it has been asked yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Could somebody please clarify the situation with yellow cards now for the semis as I don't think it has been asked yet?

They're all cleared as of the Semis.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

30594412_1909533372392843_2403189000371633987_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=51e74432ea87293fe331ec9dcd9fb599&oe=5B6549A0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

50-50 one was getting flattened one was getting sent off , unfortunately is was Ederson who got there first hardly a scumbag move both players really had eyes on the ball , I understand the red card but there was no intent for Mane to hurt Ederson or the other way around in my opinion it was two fully committed players going for a ball ,
    Otamendoi seriously milked it last night , Mane slipped trying to put the breaks on was a free kick but nothing more,

Ahh come off it ,ederson was in the air when Mane fired off his kick.He didnt care wheter he hit Ederson or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement