Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

NukaCola wrote: »
    There were a few reports of him not learning English and not fitting in with his team mates either and keeping to himself. England and Liverpool was just not a good fit for him by the sounds of it. Maybe the club should have done more, but he done well for himself now and someone else is reaping the rewards of that. These things happen.
    Rodgers operated a bilingual dressing room - native Spanish speakers were given their instructions in Spanish. Glen Johnson said that Rodgers encouraged the players in the squad that had the language to speak Spanish to accommodate the new arrivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Talisman wrote: »
    Rodgers operated a bilingual dressing room - native Spanish speakers were given their instructions in Spanish. Glen Johnson said that Rodgers encouraged the players in the squad that had the language to speak Spanish to accommodate the new arrivals.

Talk about throwing livinginkorea under the bus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Rags saying that Man U have Alderweireld as their primary target for CB. Were Liverpool ever linked with him? He is a fine player but I never realised how old he is- he will be 30 next February whereas Lascelles is only 24. Put Lascelles alongside Virgil who is 26 and you can see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ffs, he took a bad corner, it was embarrassing, but it says next to nothing about him as a player really. (wtf was he doing taking that corner anyway?)

I'm also not blaming Rodgers for his performance. He shouldn't have played any more that season than he did, he was rightly 4th in the pecking order behind Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling - but with Suarez leaving, he should have been kept around for the following season. Was no benefit to sending him off on loan.

And he's in the Spanish squad because (two years in a row) he was only outscored in La Liga by Messi, Ronaldo, and Suarez. More than Griezmann, Ascensio, Bale etc.

Did precisely nothing as a player in a good season for the club. Even absolute donkeys like Voronin & Carroll scored for us.
    Outscoring Asensio & Bale who aren't regular starters isn't an achievement, Griezmann is but would anyone pick him over Griezmann??
    I'm struggling to think of any other options Spain have up top outside Morata; Aduriz is 37 & Alcacer barely plays. Maybe Mariano Diaz is the only serious option not considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Dont see what some see in Lascelles at all tbh. I haven't seen him a huge amount, but watched Newcastle a decent bit this season, enough to see he's nothing better than what we have tbh. Certainly not as impressed as others. He has some decent attributes that we could do with but doesn't really excel at anything to stand out. Looks a mid table player to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I'd rather see Gomez at CB than spending decent money on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm genuinely excited with Emery as manager. He'll look at how far we were behind City and will make this team hard to beat. We'll be getting more points next season I'm sure. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Emery for Arsenal.

cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Wee laugh

DHBu-O.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I thought I went into the wrong thread for a second.

On Liverpool related news. Can should be in the squad Saturday by all accounts. Milner and lallana too. At least our bench will have some depth. Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ha I'm using my unpredictable tablet and posted here instead. Best of luck on Saturday. Hope yiz win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

DenMan wrote: »
    I'm genuinely excited with Emery as manager. He'll look at how far we were behind City and will make this team hard to beat. We'll be getting more points next season I'm sure. COYG
    Is this the twilight zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

This fella, is it?

hqdefault.jpg

Harry will know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Inzaghi, sign him up for Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Looking forward to a historic night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Dont see what some see in Lascelles at all tbh. I haven't seen him a huge amount, but watched Newcastle a decent bit this season, enough to see he's nothing better than what we have tbh. Certainly not as impressed as others. He has some decent attributes that we could do with but doesn't really excel at anything to stand out. Looks a mid table player to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I'd rather see Gomez at CB than spending decent money on him.

He is the captain of Newcastle at 24. Received the captaincy at 22 having only made his debut a year earlier.

Rafa Benitez gave him the armband. This says a lot about the character, leadership and skill set of the lad.

He is great in the air, comfortable of the ball and much more composed than Lovren , Gomez & Klavan. Definitely better than those 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ERG89 wrote: »
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ffs, he took a bad corner, it was embarrassing, but it says next to nothing about him as a player really. (wtf was he doing taking that corner anyway?)

I'm also not blaming Rodgers for his performance. He shouldn't have played any more that season than he did, he was rightly 4th in the pecking order behind Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling - but with Suarez leaving, he should have been kept around for the following season. Was no benefit to sending him off on loan.

And he's in the Spanish squad because (two years in a row) he was only outscored in La Liga by Messi, Ronaldo, and Suarez. More than Griezmann, Ascensio, Bale etc.

Did precisely nothing as a player in a good season for the club. Even absolute donkeys like Voronin & Carroll scored for us.
    Outscoring Asensio & Bale who aren't regular starters isn't an achievement, Griezmann is but would anyone pick him over Griezmann??
    I'm struggling to think of any other options Spain have up top outside Morata; Aduriz is 37 & Alcacer barely plays. Maybe Mariano Diaz is the only serious option not considered.
    Rodrigo is the one you've missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Will we be wearing the new jersey on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Slattsy wrote: »
    Will we be wearing the new jersey on Saturday?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Chesty08 wrote: »
    He is the captain of Newcastle at 24. Received the captaincy at 22 having only made his debut a year earlier.

Rafa Benitez gave him the armband. This says a lot about the character, leadership and skill set of the lad.

He is great in the air, comfortable of the ball and much more composed than Lovren , Gomez & Klavan. Definitely better than those 3.

And Rafa tends to know a good defender when he sees one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Fieldog wrote: »

Twitter is mad, first response is a dig and then battle commences. What did these people do before they could argue with strangers online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Chesty08 wrote: »

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you probably know more about him than me but if he's better its very very slight. He works well in an ultra defensive side, but when the lines are broken and players run at him he looks limited IMO.

As for composure and good with the ball at his feet I dont think he stands out greatly there at all, he's decent enough nothing more. Strong and decent in the air, decision making is ok, positional good, ok in possession, not particularly fast. Average or a bit above at most IMO. Given the captaincy at an early age is nice for the lad, you cant have enough leaders but I wouldn't put a huge emphasis on it myself. The job he'll do here is vastly different than at Newcastle and there is very little evidence that he is of a CL standard. Unless we cant get a high level proven CB, why risk it? I doubt the fee would be modest.

As I said, he has decent attributes, looks a mid table player, we can do much better. I'm probably being too harsh, if Klopp wants him I'm happy, but I'm not particularly impressed by him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Aarrgghhh! Hurry up Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you probably know more about him than me but if he's better its very very slight. He works well in an ultra defensive side, but when the lines are broken and players run at him he looks limited IMO.

As for composure and good with the ball at his feet I dont think he stands out greatly there at all, he's decent enough nothing more. Strong and decent in the air, decision making is ok, positional good, ok in possession, not particularly fast. Average or a bit above at most IMO. Given the captaincy at an early age is nice for the lad, you cant have enough leaders but I wouldn't put a huge emphasis on it myself. The job he'll do here is vastly different than at Newcastle and there is very little evidence that he is of a CL standard. Unless we cant get a high level proven CB, why risk it? I doubt the fee would be modest.

As I said, he has decent attributes, looks a mid table player, we can do much better. I'm probably being too harsh, if Klopp wants him I'm happy, but I'm not particularly impressed by him at all.

I rate Lascelles for an awful lot of the reasons outlined by others already - the captaincy, his movement and ability in the air, etc - but this is a big sticking point for me. I reckon he will cost an absolute fortune given his value to his club. He is captain, hugely popular with the fans, the players and the manager, young and English, one of the few players they have that can go on to bigger and better things in the coming years.

Factor all that in, why would they sell for less than £30m+? I mean, Michael Keane went for big money after one successful season in the PL, we could expect the very same for Lascelles (and Tarkowski).

While I like him, I would reckon that there is better value to be had elsewhere.

But, taking all that into account, Klopp's track record over the last 12 months in identifying the right player - regardless of price - has made a huge difference. If he thinks that Lascelles, at £45m, is the right man, then that's fine by me...

All the stories yesterday linking us to him mentioned that we are in for a GK and an attacker too. Would imagine Fekir is the top target for the latter but curious about the GK situation. Karius has done well since settling as number 1 earlier this year. I presume Mignolet and Ward will move on so will it be a new number 1 or a new challenger to Karius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Starting a 4 day block of work now and it will be the longest shifts ever.

I'm more nervous for this Saturday than I am for my own wedding next bloody Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Am I nervous for Saturday? only a little. In fact the same amount I was before the home games against City & Roma, and we ended up fcuking blitzkrieging them!!! In fact, of our 3 knockout stages so far, the tie was effectively over after the 1st leg (0-5, 3-0 & 5-2) thanks to short spells of utter dominance when the opposition just couldn't handle us.

I'm really hoping, and slightly optimistic that Liverpool will have a 20-30 minute spell (again) where we score 3-4 goals, and they just won't know what the f*** is happening, and by the time they do and get their sh1t together and try and get at us, we'll just pick them off again and again with a 2-3-4 goal cushion.

Of course it can go any way on the night, but I've a sneaky feeling that if we win, we could win heavy, and embarrass them (as in the camera panning to each and every one of their players faces to capture the utter shock of whats happening!!)

With this Liverpool side, we only need to be excellent for a brief period, and it should be enough to put the game beyond anyone.

Wikipedia;
    Blitzkrieg is a method of warfare whereby an attacking force, spearheaded by a dense concentration of Salah, Mane & Firmino, breaks through the opponent's line of defence by short, fast, powerful attacks and then dislocates the defenders, using speed and surprise to encircle them with the help of Jordan Henderson, Gini Wijnaldum & James Milner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

You are correct in the job that he will do is vastly different, in this it is very difficult to find young players who are proven as CL standard and in comfortable in playing our way unless they have played with a top side.

I don't think you can under emphasis the captaincy in my book. These are qualities which Liverpool have lacked for years, we have seen the difference a leader like VVD brings but again I think this debate will only be settled when we hear of the asking price... if we are talking VVD money well then forget it, if we are talking £20/30 million then I'd go for him.

I genuinely think he is above Gomez, Lovren and Klavan in almost all areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My wifes uncle is here from the states, as he came in the door this morning, he informed me the last 2 finals he was here for Liverpool lost. Milan 07, Sevilla 16.
    The omens are bad :(

3rd time lucky hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Ardent

I see we are now linked with Donnoruma (sp?) from Milan. Is he any good?

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    My wifes uncle is here from the states, as he came in the door this morning, he informed me the last 2 finals he was here for Liverpool lost. Milan 07, Sevilla 16.
    The omens are bad :(

3rd time lucky hopefully.

Get on this post haste;

https://www.aerlingus.com/html/en-IE/home.html

and get him the fcuk out of here....

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not nervous or excited or anything just yet. The main reason for that is that I'm not really thinking about it. I'm aware that it's on obviously, but I am deliberately avoiding thinking about it if I can as I won't be able to concentrate on anything if I allow it to get into my head properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Vicxas wrote: »
    Starting a 4 day block of work now and it will be the longest shifts ever.

I'm more nervous for this Saturday than I am for my own wedding next bloody Saturday

Don't know how easy you have it....

My own wedding IS this Saturday :eek:

x43r0 wrote: »

Typical Liverpool. At the start of the season you'd have said there's no chance of them getting to the Champions League final and they do this to you, just to be awkward.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Typical Liverpool. At the start of the season you'd have said there's no chance of them getting to the Champions League final and they do this to you, just to be awkward.

Grand so, what date is the 2019 CL final so? I've a proposal to make!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Shocking planning. My wedding 'just happened' to fall in July on a non tournament summer'. The engagement wasn't somewhat strategically planned to suggest such a date as the best choice, no siree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool fans. we're just the worst.

Of course it can go any way on the night, but I've a sneaky feeling that if we win, we could win heavy, and embarrass them (as in the camera panning to each and every one of their players faces to capture the utter shock of whats happening!!)

With this Liverpool side, we only need to be excellent for a brief period, and it should be enough to put the game beyond anyone................

With Lovren and Karius in our back 5 I wouldn't rule out RM being excellent for a brief period and capitalising too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Ardent wrote: »
    I see we are now linked with Donnoruma (sp?) from Milan. Is he any good?

Best young keeper in the world IMO. But he'd want guarantees that he'd be a starter, and Karius deserves to start the season as #1 IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I feel almost resigned and expecting to lose but just imagine this team do it. Written into the history books, with all the other great Liverpool teams and managers. Jordan Henderson as captain lifting the CL trophy high, is a thought I can't get my head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Dickerty wrote: »
    Best young keeper in the world IMO. But he'd want guarantees that he'd be a starter, and Karius deserves to start the season as #1 IMO...

If he throws a couple into his own net on Saturday though!

• Advertisement

I feel almost resigned and expecting to lose but just imagine this team do it. Written into the history books, with all the other great Liverpool teams and managers. Jordan Henderson as captain lifting the CL trophy high, is a thought I can't get my head around.

There's an air of over confidence about RM that's giving me some hope. Have a look at the article just posted in the match thread. Love seeing opposing teams come out with this type of guff. RM are rightly favourites but anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's an air of over confidence about RM that's giving me some hope. Have a look at the article just posted in the match thread. Love seeing opposing teams come out with this type of guff. RM are rightly favourites but anything can happen.

I only hope that Jürgen prints that out and puts it on the wall in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So, my Bro in law has completely by accident of course!
    Made my Enemy list!

Got married in July 2016, and he gave us a voucher for Neven Maguires B&B/Restaurant in Cavan....
    A voucher for a night away in a village in Cavan, thats only amenity of note is an open prison!
    Now living in Limerick is bad enough ;) but who in christ wants to drive to Cavan for dinner!:pac:

So after we return from honeymoon in August 2016 the new Mrs Banie01 tries to book a Saturday night, and their next available was the 26th May 2018!
    So now I have to try and figure out how quickly I can eat a 9course meal and find somewhere to watch any bit of the game I can swing the time for!

The Bástárd has played a long game on this one and won!:pac:

I may miss the match, but I have a feeling I'll be celebrating come FT!
    YNWA!

banie01 wrote: »

I may miss the match, but I have a feeling I'll be celebrating come FT!
    YNWA!

RTE / TV3 player on the phone, propped against a wine glass.
    Has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Augeo wrote: »
    Has to be done.

I have an extended battery with a kickstand on the phone ready to go, Mrs will have to put up with me wearing "discrete" BT headphones ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just remember lads how good getting to this point is. The result could go any number of ways, you just don't know. It is likely that we lose. I'm really intending to enjoy it. I just don't have any of the nervous tension around it that I did the last three games of this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Augeo wrote: »
    Has to be done.

YYYEEESSSSS.

?

Oh it's... Just these peas. They're incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

jaysus, terrible planning from some people!

"i've got a wedding, i'm getting married, i have to go for dinner, etc"

It's a CL final! pretend ye have Ebola or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Same here. I'm not in the least bit nervous as I'm fully expecting us to lose tbh.
    Madrid just have so much experience in these massive matches, I think it will stand to them big time on the night.
    The silver lining to expecting to get beaten is it removes the nerves. I'll still be cautiously excited Saturday but ney point worrying about it til then, which suits me fine coz I was a nervous wreck for a fortnight before the 2 Milan finals

Which is it ?

Haven’t seen a huge amount or watched a decent bit ?

Yeah you are missing out in something - watching him play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement