Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ardent wrote:
    I see we are now linked with Donnoruma (sp?) from Milan. Is he any good?

Had a season to forget, made a few mistakes(noticeably against Juve), scored a couple of own goals too.
    Worse with the ball at his feet than Karius so don't see the attraction to him right now.
    He was amazing at 16 but hasnt progressed since & the way he handled the contract situation last summer soured him to many fans, especially when his performance levels dropped.
    Milan seem more willing to sell now which may be telling. PSG & Madrid probably won't be after him either.

We could batter RM....they could batter us. I'm not nervous, worried or anxious.

It's been a great season with wonderful football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Be in the pub by 12pm on Saturday settling the nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

banie01 wrote: »
    So, my Bro in law has completely by accident of course!
    Made my Enemy list!

Got married in July 2016, and he gave us a voucher for Neven Maguires B&B/Restaurant in Cavan....
    A voucher for a night away in a village in Cavan, thats only amenity of note is an open prison!
    Now living in Limerick is bad enough ;) but who in christ wants to drive to Cavan for dinner!:pac:

So after we return from honeymoon in August 2016 the new Mrs Banie01 tries to book a Saturday night, and their next available was the 26th May 2018!
    So now I have to try and figure out how quickly I can eat a 9course meal and find somewhere to watch any bit of the game I can swing the time for!

The Bástárd has played a long game on this one and won!:pac:

I may miss the match, but I have a feeling I'll be celebrating come FT!
    YNWA!

https://www.jar.ie/area/cavan/blacklion

Theres a selection of fine establishments for the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Which is it ?

Haven’t seen a huge amount or watched a decent bit ?

Yeah you are missing out in something - watching him play.

Both?....Watched 8/9 games, I haven't seen every game he's played. ie a decent bit but not a huge amount.

I gave my view on him further a few posts back. If you disagree you can state why instead of the "you haven't seen him play" dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

rob316 wrote: »
    My wifes uncle is here from the states, as he came in the door this morning, he informed me the last 2 finals he was here for Liverpool lost. Milan 07, Sevilla 16.
    The omens are bad :(

3rd time lucky hopefully.

What breed of a bállox walks in and opens with that gem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

NukaCola wrote: »
    As I said, he has decent attributes, looks a mid table player, we can do much better. I'm probably being too harsh, if Klopp wants him I'm happy, but I'm not particularly impressed by him at all.
    Not having a go at you in particular but you did put your head on the block.

I imagine similar things were said about Robertson before he joined. Oxlade-Chamberlain was definitely dismissed for contribution at Arsenal. Van Dijk wasn't considered worth waiting for or spending a record fee on, yet the run to the Champions League Final has recouped his transfer fee.

At this stage, the lesson should be learned that whomever Klopp wants, the club will do their utmost to bring them to the club. The club won't sign a player simply because there is no other option - thankfully those days seem to be behind us.

Any defender that is signed isn't going to necessarily displace the incumbent player immediately - Klopp will give them time to adapt.

I'd love us to sign a monster like Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli, or Van Dijk's defensive partner in the Dutch team, Stefan de Vrij. However there's a lot to be said for signing defenders that will not need to adapt to the pace of the Premier League. Both Lascelles and Tarkowski have their merits as defenders that have proved themselves in the league.

Tarkowski reads the game very well, he's a tough tackler, doesn't get beaten in the air very much, he doesn't panic and also plays intelligent forward passes. There's a lot to like about him as a player and he's definitely good enough to displace at least three of the central defenders in our squad.

Lascelles is a leader which you can never have too many of on the pitch. I would say he's better than Lovren at bringing the ball forward, better than all of our defenders bar Van Dijk at attacking the ball in the air. Where I would fault him is that he sometimes gets caught watching the game and then has a rush of blood to over compensate for the mistake.

Of the two I think Tarkowski is the better defender but ultimately either one is good enough for a place in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Talisman wrote: »
    Not having a go at you in particular but you did put your head on the block.

Was just interested in seeing what people thought of the player. I gave my view. I wouldn't be gutted if Klopp signed him, but objectively I see much better out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There's an air of over confidence about RM that's giving me some hope. Have a look at the article just posted in the match thread. Love seeing opposing teams come out with this type of guff. RM are rightly favourites but anything can happen.

I'm also of the opinion that Madrid has to lose a final eventually, maybe the fire isn't what it once was. All I can ask is for the players and manager turn up and do the club and fans proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

ERG89 wrote:
    Had a season to forget, made a few mistakes(noticeably against Juve), scored a couple of own goals too. Worse with the ball at his feet than Karius so don't see the attraction to him right now. He was amazing at 16 but hasnt progressed since & the way he handled the contract situation last summer soured him to many fans, especially when his performance levels dropped. Milan seem more willing to sell now which may be telling. PSG & Madrid probably won't be after him either.

Yea I can't say I watch too much Italian league these days. Just really don't have time anymore its a disaster. But I have heard he stalled a little. One thing I would say is that he is still all potential. His ceiling is right up there with the best and he is still young enough to be a big part of a team for the next 15 years. I would definitely take a punt on him if we could get him for less than 50 million.

Also real are apparently after Buffon!!!

I like Karius a lot but if he wouldn't be happy fighting for his place with a 19 year old then his mentality isn't good enough.

rob316 wrote:
    I'm also of the opinion that Madrid has to lose a final eventually, maybe the fire isn't what it once was. All I can ask is for the players and manager turn up and do the club and fans proud.

They also won three out of the last four............. that means they have lost. So no reason they can't lose again. Besides we are Liverpool of course we can beat them. Spurs beat them ffs

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Mig wrote: »

The first thing you do on Sunday afternoon when you wake up then is check to see if we won the game or not!

5starpool wrote:
    The first thing you do on Sunday afternoon when you wake up then is check to see if we won the game or not!

Yea no way I am starting early Saturday. 12 is nuts. That's almost 8 hours of drinking. 2/3 pints an hour. 16/24 pints before the game even kicks off. I would be in no state to watch a match haha.

My plan is head out for 5 and watch the championship playoff final first. Will even take it easy and try to keep it to at most 6 pints before the game.

Isn't it great to still have something to play for and the season is over!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You can drink a pint an hour. Throw in a few glasses of water, the odd coffee. Eat liberally. It can be done. If you believe in yourself, you can triumph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bit early you will be sleeping by kick off for the Championship play-off.

Plan of action, up Saturday hearty breakfast. Watch the Monaco GP Qualifying.

Make way to Anfield, few scoops in the Sandon hopefully they have their BBQ going. Watch the Championship Play-off and then go to the ground settle in seat and hope for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just remember lads how good getting to this point is. The result could go any number of ways, you just don't know. It is likely that we lose. I'm really intending to enjoy it. I just don't have any of the nervous tension around it that I did the last three games of this competition.

I think you're trying very very hard to convince yourself not to freak out.:p

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    You can drink a pint an hour. Throw in a few glasses of water, the odd coffee. Eat liberally. It can be done. If you believe in yourself, you can triumph.

Flash forward to waking up, lying on the bathroom floor Sunday evening asking yourself where did it all go wrong haha.

I don't think I've put in enough training lately for the kinda marathon.

It is suppose to be an amazing day weather wise though. A few sunny day drinks might be too tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The half time team talk sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Usually I'd be having a few pints watching the horse racing and football but will have to hold firm until at least 5. I haven't a whole lot of staying power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'll be in the airport Saturday afternoon heading to Liverpool, I'm sure I'll want a pint or two... :)

Won't be at it all day as I need to actually make the flight.... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Lightweight. Mr. Ballygowan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Salah full of confidence, Lovren seems like a decent lad. Last line is gas!

Gbear wrote: »
    I think you're trying very very hard to convince yourself not to freak out.:p

Honestly, I'm surprising myself. I felt physically ill watching the first half against City and was genuinely fretful over the two late Roma goals in Anfield. But I have no apprehension over Saturday. I desperately hope we win of course, but I don't expect nor fear any result. It's just stunning to me that we're in the last and most important game of the club season. The last month has been a victory parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Honestly, I'm surprising myself. I felt physically ill watching the first half against City and was genuinely fretful over the two late Roma goals in Anfield. But I have no apprehension over Saturday. I desperately hope we win of course, but I don't expect nor fear any result. It's just stunning to me that we're in the last and most important game of the club season. The last month has been a victory parade.

I really wish I could feel this way, but I'm already really nervous. Trying my best to just appreciate that we're there and it's cool that we're there, but keep thinking 'but what if we win' followed by 'but what if we lose'!

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't be stunned if we won by 3 goals, and I wouldn't be stunned if we lost by 3 goals. As someone else said, if we can have an electric 20/30 mins and take those chances and score 2 or 3 goals, that would be brilliant. Hopefully we play well and be ourselves. And I'd just love there to be no controversy, just a 'clean' win...

jasonb wrote: »
    I really wish I could feel this way, but I'm already really nervous. Trying my best to just appreciate that we're there and it's cool that we're there, but keep thinking 'but what if we win' followed by 'but what if we lose'!

When it comes down to it, I wouldn't be stunned if we won by 3 goals, and I wouldn't be stunned if we lost by 3 goals. As someone else said, if we can have an electric 20/30 mins and take those chances and score 2 or 3 goals, that would be brilliant. Hopefully we play well and be ourselves. And I'd just love there to be no controversy, just a 'clean' win...

What is there to be nervous about though? Worst case is we get beat by a couple of goals and can simply doff our caps to the greatest club side of all time. I can live with that - you can live with that too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

What is there to be nervous about though? Worst case is we get beat by a couple of goals and can simply doff our caps to the greatest club side of all time. I can live with that - you can live with that too! :)

Well, I'm nervous 'cos we haven't won a trophy since 2012, and we haven't won this trophy since 2005, and these finals don't come along every year. And while you're right about how good RM are, I bloody hate them too, and the sheer cynicism/gamesmanship they stand for. I'd be a lot less nervous if we were playing Bayern in the final, because it wouldn't bother me so much to lose to them.

jasonb wrote: »
    Well, I'm nervous 'cos we haven't won a trophy since 2012, and we haven't won this trophy since 2005, and these finals don't come along every year. And while you're right about how good RM are, I bloody hate them too, and the sheer cynicism/gamesmanship they stand for. I'd be a lot less nervous if we were playing Bayern in the final, because it wouldn't bother me so much to lose to them.

Listen man, I hear you. It's a huge game and winning it would be indescribable. But a loss isn't in anyway devastating. The Klopp project is on track whatever the result on Saturday, we're in a great position - probably the best position we've been in for a decade.

As you say yourself, games like this don't come around often. It's bloody hard to get this far, and you need to enjoy it on that basis. Real are excellent, as dislike-able a club as they might be this is their domain. If we were favourites, now that would bring pressure and nerves!

We might lose on Saturday, we might lose badly. Our enemies crave such an outcome desperately. They will try to tell us that such an outcome is disastrous and means various negative things. Don't give it two seconds of your time, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, zero stress over the game on Saturday like I had for the other games. I just hope we give it everything. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    YYYEEESSSSS.

?

Oh it's... Just these peas. They're incredible.

Can somebody educate me on the above, please. I feel like I'm missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You lads are ice cold with the no nerves. I feel like throwing up every time I think about it. Once it kicks off that feeling will be ramped up considerably, probably 50/50 on a stroke if we manage to go one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

Knex. wrote: »

He's going for dinner the night of the match, may have to resort to watching on a mobile propped up on the table... :)

I've no nerves because we're absolutely going to batter them. *

*The above may not actually be true.

He's going for dinner the night of the match, may have to resort to watching on a mobile propped up on the table... :)

I genuinely thought it was going to be an Alan Partridge quote or something :o:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Knex. wrote: »

It's a top quality restaurant and the peas are yummy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Kane's nicked the captain's armband off Hendo for the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

x43r0 wrote: »

I really hate the amount of Kane related circle-jerking going on in the English media.

I hope no Liverpool player plays a single minute for any team during the world cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

There's a man who is on my wavelength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

x43r0 wrote: »

He's captain of his club, was captain through much of the qualifiers, has more leadership experience than Kane, why take it off him now?
    And they'll need subtitles every time Kane speaks to the media!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

My big fear is losing a 2/3-0 HT winning position and that c**t Ronaldo winning it with a dubious pen in et

Edit: God forbid Moreno getting on during the game and robbing me as the worst player with a CL winners medal:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At least Ronnie Whelan won't be on commentary duties for Saturdayon RTE 2.

It'll be George Hamilton & Jim Beglin.

Didi in studio alongside Eamonn & Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Dickerty wrote: »
    He's captain of his club, was captain through much of the qualifiers, has more leadership experience than Kane, why take it off him now?
    And they'll need subtitles every time Kane speaks to the media!

Kane always had it. He swears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Vicxas wrote: »
    I really hate the amount of Kane related circle-jerking going on in the English media.

Fine by me.

He can cop all the flak when it inevitably goes tits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Henderson has captained England 6 times

Kane has captained England 4 times.

Not really stealing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A player that will audaciously steal a goal from a teammate is not captain material IMO.

Couldn’t care less about their national team but Henderson has come into his own as captain this year and deserves the armband for his country too. I’m disappointed for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

martyos121 wrote: »
    A player that will audaciously steal a goal from a teammate is not captain material IMO.

Couldn’t care less about their national team but Henderson has come into his own as captain this year and deserves the armband for his country too. I’m disappointed for him.

He's better off without it. When they inevitably crash out a lot of ire will be aimed at the captain especially if it was Hendo. Kane will get away with it because he's the current darling of the football media there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

5starpool wrote: »
    I hope no Liverpool player plays a single minute for any team during the world cup.

I'm happy for Mo to play every minute available. Obviously I'm not an Egypt fan but it means so much to him and his country, will be a huge lift for them if they can win a match and progress. Then a few weeks off for the lad.

garra wrote: »
    I'm happy for Mo to play every minute available. Obviously I'm not an Egypt fan but it means so much to him and his country, will be a huge lift for them if they can win a match and progress. Then a few weeks off for the lad.

I don't care about any of that. I want them all to be fully fit for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ian Ayre has got a nice new job in the States as the CEO of Nashville MLS they will join the league in 2020 as the newest expansion team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement