Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Only 3 days, nerves are starting to build.

I want us to do good, i'm willing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

many of the spanish press are seriously getting on my wick now at this stage, I hope we f*cking batter them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Don't worry about their press. They are just supporting their own. It will make our victory all the more sweeter.

I just hope we play to our full ability. If we win that will be amazing but if we lose, as long as we actually show up, I'll be happy.

Also don't lose hope. If 2005 proved anything it is that anything can happen in a 6 minute's.

Mr.H wrote: »
    .......... but if we lose, as long as we actually show up, I'll be happy.................

We'll 100% definitely show up, I've no doubt about that.
    Worst case scenario we see a Lovren & Karius horror show at times but we are good enough going forward to mitigate that I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That Mo Salah Doc is repeated tomorrow - also might be worth setting a recording for a Kenny Dalglish Doc on Saturday night, you could easily miss it due to other events on that evening!

Thursday 11.05pm Channel 4 Mo Salah A Football Fairytale
    Liverpool footballer Mo Salah shot to world stardom in one season, with his goals carrying the club to the Champions League final against Real Madrid. Cameras chart his rise from humble origins in Egypt to being voted best player in England and a candidate for the Ballon d'Or prize, which is awarded to the world's top player each year. Featuring Steven Gerrard and Gary Lineker

Saturday 10.35pm BBC1 Kenny
    Premiere. Documentary about the life of legendary former Liverpool player and manager Kenny Dalglish. The film is an intimate and revealing portrait of the Scotsman, who is known at Anfield as `King Kenny' due to his many achievements with the club. Featuring contributions by Dalglish himself, his wife Marina, Alex Ferguson, John Barnes, Alan Hansen and Kenny's children Paul and Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

many of the spanish press are seriously getting on my wick now at this stage, I hope we f*cking batter them now.

Tbf, how many articles from our former players and UK/Irish press have been talking about Liverpool, Salah, our attack, our history, Klopp, etc?

It's standard on both sides! I wouldn't pay any heed to it.

Lads - I'm so f*cking excited at this stage. Work gone out the window. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Skid X wrote: »
    That Mo Salah Doc is repeated tomorrow - also might be worth setting a recording for a Kenny Dalglish Doc on Saturday night, you could easily miss it due to other events on that evening!

Thursday 11.05pm Channel 4 Mo Salah A Football Fairytale
    Liverpool footballer Mo Salah shot to world stardom in one season, with his goals carrying the club to the Champions League final against Real Madrid. Cameras chart his rise from humble origins in Egypt to being voted best player in England and a candidate for the Ballon d'Or prize, which is awarded to the world's top player each year. Featuring Steven Gerrard and Gary Lineker

Saturday 10.35pm BBC1 Kenny
    Premiere. Documentary about the life of legendary former Liverpool player and manager Kenny Dalglish. The film is an intimate and revealing portrait of the Scotsman, who is known at Anfield as `King Kenny' due to his many achievements with the club. Featuring contributions by Dalglish himself, his wife Marina, Alex Ferguson, John Barnes, Alan Hansen and Kenny's children Paul and Kelly

Mo Salah programme is also on 4oD.

Available in HD to download if you have Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

murpho999 wrote: »
    Mo Salah programme is also on 4oD.

Available in HD to download if you have Sky.

The Mo Salah doc is basically a review of the Champions league to date showing all the goals. Comments from Rush, Aldo, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand sprinkled with some one liners from ex youth coaches and players from Egypt. Theres not much to it in fairness.

If you are looking for an in depth portrait of Mo then this isn't it. If you are looking to get buzzed up for the final with all the CL goals etc then this is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

a few Martin Tyler highlights as well including such classics as 'Bobby Dazzler' & 'YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the final could be decided on penalties.

Would there be any merit in saving a Mignolet substitution for such an eventuality?

His penalty save percentage would suggest that he should save 1-2 of the spot-kicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the final could be decided on penalties.

Would there be any merit in saving a Mignolet substitution for such an eventuality?

His penalty save percentage would suggest that he should save 1-2 of the spot-kicks.

If we had a sub available I'd be 100% bringing on Mignolet in the 120th minute.

Much more likely to save a penalty than Karius.

Benimar wrote: »
    If we had a sub available I'd be 100% bringing on Mignolet in the 120th minute.

Much more likely to save a penalty than Karius.

But what if Karius has had a very good game, and made a few great saves, and his confidence is sky high?

I'd want him in goal for a penalty shootout.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Plus Mignolet hasn't played in a while and would be lacking that bit of sharpness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was thinking about this but doesn't Karius have a 50%  save rate for us , Both against spurs ?
    Id be brining on Can if there's a shootout being German its a gimmie ,

Id be brining on Can if there's a shootout being German its a gimmie ,

And in the final seconds he could do this, and negate the need for penalties :D

tenor.gif
    tenor.gif?itemid=7189777

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Just seen that Salah won't be breaking Ramadan for the final

I respect his faith but I hope he doesn't conk out on the 60min mark

Just seen that Salah won't be breaking Ramadan for the final. Didn't see anything about Mane.

I trust the players and staff to manage the situation but at the same time a bit scared they'll be knackered around the 60min mark

are you ok ?

• Advertisement

Alright, we get it. He's not breaking Ramadan....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

x43r0 wrote: »
    Just seen that Salah won't be breaking Ramadan for the final. Didn't see anything about Mane.

I trust the players and staff to manage the situation but at the same time a bit scared they'll be knackered around the 60min mark

Be grand, sunset is 2 hours before kick off. Get a big fry into him. less the rashers of course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Kiev is 3 hours ahead, so it is currently after 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
    So kick off will be 10.45 local time (7.45). Sunset in Kiev is around 8.50. So they have around 2 hours before kick-off to eat and drink.

not yet wrote: »
    Be grand, sunset is 2 hours before kick off. Get a big fry into him. less the rashers of course..

and the sausages and black and white pudding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Any update on Salah and Ramadan?

brevity wrote: »
    Any update on Salah and Ramadan?

APPARENTLY, now this is just rumours. But he's not stopping for the match....

Vicxas wrote: »
    APPARENTLY, now this is just rumours. But he's not stopping for the match....

Multiple posts confirm this.

Its all quiet on the Ramadan front Geoff, we'll keep you posted. Now back to the studio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Big Vern wrote: »
    So kick off will be 10.45 local time.

Interesting, does that mean we'll have another chance of someone scoring twice in the same game, but on different days? Has that happened since 2005?

In my opinion, it also shows another disadvantage of having the final in far off places. Not only is it really awkward and expensive for fans to get there (just like Istanbul) but it has to be a little annoying for players, playing in probably the biggest game of their career, to have to wait 'til 10:45pm for kick off, probably the latest they've ever had to play.

So the fans and the players are the ones most disadvantaged for a massively important game. Not an ideal scenario, but I doubt it will ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Big Vern wrote: »
    Kiev is 3 hours ahead, so it is currently after 3 o'clock in the afternoon.
    So kick off will be 10.45 local time (7.45). Sunset in Kiev is around 8.50. So they have around 2 hours before kick-off to eat and drink.

21.45 local time, two hours difference between Kiev and Dublin.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Cheers lads - havin' one of them days and just read the Ramadan posts and laughed out loud on bus with some strange looks from other passengers - cheers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

21.45 local time, two hours difference between Kiev and Dublin.

Sorry yes 21.45 kick off, 2 hours not 3!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sofa Spud wrote: »
    Cheers lads - havin' one of them days and just read the Ramadan posts and laughed out loud on bus with some strange looks from other passengers - cheers:D
    I wonder does Ramadan normally effect the performance of Muslim players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

jasonb wrote: »
    Interesting, does that mean we'll have another chance of someone scoring twice in the same game, but on different days? Has that happened since 2005?

In my opinion, it also shows another disadvantage of having the final in far off places. Not only is it really awkward and expensive for fans to get there (just like Istanbul) but it has to be a little annoying for players, playing in probably the biggest game of their career, to have to wait 'til 10:45pm for kick off, probably the latest they've ever had to play.

So the fans and the players are the ones most disadvantaged for a massively important game. Not an ideal scenario, but I doubt it will ever change.

UEFA's mandate is to develop the game in every country/region they can. I like to see Ukraine getting the attention as it should be included more in European events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The nerves are really kicking in now.

It really would be a fantastic way to win it if we this side was to beat the current champions. This is my favourite lfc side i have ever watched and would love them to be rewarded with a big trophy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I respect his faith but I hope he doesn't conk out on the 60min mark

The fact that all three posts are different is beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm trying to remember back to the 2005 build up. I remember all the craic with Deirdre and Ken, new pope Prince Charles getting married. Saying it's lining up lads. Then at half time, "well so much for that bollocks lads!".

Now I'm clinging to the bollocks again. It's all lining up lads. In the stars, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Would have thought he'd be used to it, so looked up recent year's Ramadan dates and in fairness, it's been falling just after end of season.
    So he may not have direct experience of playing during it, but he'll be able to eat about an hour before kick-off and would think there'd be nothing against him grabbing drinks from the touch line during the match.
    Not overly worried about it, and he's gonna be so fired up, would be surprised if it affected his performance - but would be nice if it doesn't go to extra time, more for my heart than his endurance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who is this Ramadan lad we're rumoured to be signing and why do people think he can break fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

He's publicly saying he's not breaking it,
    whether he is or isn't it's probably best to say that publicly regardless. Eating an hour before kick off just wouldn't work.

• Advertisement

wonder if hes having fish n chips today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

garra wrote: »
    UEFA's mandate is to develop the game in every country/region they can. I like to see Ukraine getting the attention as it should be included more in European events

UEFA are changing the process of allocating the final from next season on, with countries required to bid for it now rather than it being awarded. It is a bid to make it more transparent (insert your own obvious UEFA joke here) but, afaik, potential cities will be scored not just on the stadium but also road/rail/plane access, hotel and accommodation options, etc. The idea being that it will be like a 3/4 day festival, with the women's UCL, the U21s UCL and the men's UCL final on over a series of days.

The issue with Ukraine isn't so much timezones (it's only two hours difference for Ireland, the UK and Portugal and only one for the rest of the continent!! It's hardly a big deal) but with the amenities. Hotels, airports, etc seem entirely unprepared for the influx of fans, Madrid fans have actually returned tickets and there are endless stories of hotels hiking prices for bookings made months ago, an inability to even charter flights due to capacity issues at Kiev airport and so on.

I'm all for branching the game out, but Kiev certainly seems to have significant shortfalls that should have been rectified before awarding or, at least, on the basis of being awarded the final.

It might have to come down, in the future, to UEFA block-booking hotels and plane tickets and reselling in conjunction with ticket sales. It doesn't seem ideal but, then, neither is finding yourself with nowhere to sleep a week before your trip to the Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I used to play football with a lad from Algeria. Outrageous footballer, would win games single handily, sort of lad always puling of crazy skills during warm ups. He would play during Ramadan and there was no dip in his performances, even in the heat during the June weeks (this was in France so 30+ degrees at times).

I don't think he was even allowed to drink water, I found it all a bit mad, asked him before and he said he was used to it and just made sure to take what he needed during the sundown periods.

Now in fairness it may not be a good example as he was running rings around smokers and drinkers but thought it was interesting. No doubt all Muslim professional footballers are well used to playing during this period and have the support to do the necessary preparation. At least with the sun setting before kick-off he can have water during the game and maybe a classic orange and Jaffa cake combo just before kick-off.

I've been Adamocovic and this has been your afternoon Ramadan update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Salah will have done this all his life.
    He will be 100%.

A few weeks ago Buvac was gone & our attacking play would be ruined without Klopp's brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I used to play football with a lad from Algeria. Outrageous footballer, would win games single handily, sort of lad always puling of crazy skills during warm ups. He would play during Ramadan and there was no dip in his performances, even in the heat during the June weeks (this was in France so 30+ degrees at times).

I don't think he was even allowed to drink water, I found it all a bit mad, asked him before and he said he was used to it and just made sure to take what he needed during the sundown periods.

Now in fairness it may not be a good example as he was running rings around smokers and drinkers but thought it was interesting. No doubt all Muslim professional footballers are well used to playing during this period and have the support to do the necessary preparation. At least with the sun setting before kick-off he can have water during the game and maybe a classic orange and Jaffa cake combo just before kick-off.

I've been Adamocovic and this has been your afternoon Ramadan update.

Subscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hilarious that scapegoats are being put out there already.

Hopefully the crystal ball predictions turn out as well as the ones that Salah wouldn’t be near the golden boot again after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hopefully we approach the game as we did in the earlier rounds. I'll be overjoyed to see the RM bus in flames in the car park before kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Two weeks off the players might be a bit slow coming out the blocks and getting the riddim of the game going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

We're gona win the Ramadan cup lads I can feel it in my empty, religious stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Woa ohh black Betty Ramadam

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement