Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If Liverpool are not 3 up at HT, I want Klopp force feeding double whoppers to Mane and Salah while they are drip fed Red Bull.

Kieta might still have a few boxes lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Standard Chartered for another four years, not seen any numbers but I trust they are paying quite a lot more for 2018-2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    On the whole Ramadan thing, it would suck if Salah and Mane under performed because of it and it contributed to a defeat on Saturday (understatement). But that's life. We want these players to feel that they can practice their religious beliefs and be tolerated for who they are, who their families are, with no prejudice. As fans we would need to live with the disappointment, understand it, and hopefully take the positives from it: that talented Muslim footballers would know that Liverpool is a place they come and play and be accepted for who they are.

I'm not a religious person, far from it, but I believe people have the right to do what they wish and what they feel is right so long as they don't impose that on others. He'll turn up for work and he'll no doubt give 100% of whatever he has in the tank on the day. I can live with that.

Agree with all that you say.

Would be terrible if they are affected.

Sunset is at 20:49 today in Kiev. Sunrise was 04:57

Kick off will be at 21:45 local time. I don't see how players can eat and hydrate in that 55 minute period before a game after 16 hours fasting. I really wonder if they observe it 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

murpho999 wrote: »
    Agree with all that you say.

Would be terrible if they are affected.

Sunset is at 20:49 today in Kiev. Sunrise was 04:57

Kick off will be at 21:45 local time. I don't see how players can eat and hydrate in that 55 minute period before a game after 16 hours fasting. I really wonder if they observe it 100%

I'd be surprised if he isn't delaying it until after the World Cup.

...he'll be hungry for goals come 21:45!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

at the start of the week i wasn't shítting it at all.

i know it's a free shot at something special.
    i know we've done brilliantly to get here.
    I know we're the underdogs.

but i'm honestly bricking it more and more as the week goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SlickRic wrote: »
    at the start of the week i wasn't shing it at all.

Its the expectation and the build up and the interviews and the fan made Youtube videos, its the fact that in a pub on a day like Saturday will be. Everyone will be best mates.

We'll hug, cheer, more than likely cry (in joy). Its a special time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I still don't think it's really kicked in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

On the whole Ramadan thing, it would suck if Salah and Mane under performed because of it and it contributed to a defeat on Saturday (understatement). But that's life. We want these players to feel that they can practice their religious beliefs and be tolerated for who they are, who their families are, with no prejudice. As fans we would need to live with the disappointment, understand it, and hopefully take the positives from it: that talented Muslim footballers would know that Liverpool is a place they come and play and be accepted for who they are.

I'm not a religious person, far from it, but I believe people have the right to do what they wish and what they feel is right so long as they don't impose that on others. He'll turn up for work and he'll no doubt give 100% of whatever he has in the tank on the day. I can live with that.

I'm not religious and like you defend people's right to believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs aren't imposed on others but you could argue that choosing to adopt a sub optimal diet leading up to such an important match is imposing your religion on others (your team mates) as they will be directly impacted if your performance is in any way negatively affected by your religious fasting.

The CL finale is the pinnacle of club football and at such a high level tiny margins can be decisive. If religious fasting causes even 0.5% reduction in mental or physical sharpness you are putting your religion before your commitment to the team.

Not looking for an argument or to derail the thread but sometimes adherence to personal beliefs can have unavoidable consequences for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Any chance of a podcast link instead Luckycharms?...cos nobody is reading that. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

BenEadir wrote: »
    I'm not religious and like you defend people's right to believe whatever they want as long as their beliefs aren't imposed on others but you could argue that choosing to adopt a sub optimal diet leading up to such an important match is imposing your religion on others (your team mates) as they will be directly impacted if your performance is in any way negatively affected by your religious fasting.

The CL finale is the pinnacle of club football and at such a high level tiny margins can be decisive. If religious fasting causes even 0.5% reduction in mental or physical sharpness you are putting your religion before your commitment to the team.

Surely then its up to the manager & whether he believes the player is 100% the best option in that position at the time of the game.

I'm sure muslim players will be fine, they are already observing Ramadan, and are still training and preparing for the game on Saturday. If they are struggling in training, I'm sure the manager won't pick them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It won't be a nil nil or one nil anyway,looking forward to an entertaining game(even if it frustrates me so much that i feel like turning it off)not like a certain cup final last week.We watched the 2005 final in a house,we were so fed up at half time we left to go to the pub at halftime,i dont think we cared whether the match was being shown or not(it was),we dont need anything that entertaining please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Im the same! As the week has gone on the more the nerves and excitement are kicking in! Dont know what im going to be like on Sat evening!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Does can observe ramadan aswell? I know at best he will be on the bench but another possible player who might not be at 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If Liverpool are not 3 up at HT, I want Klopp force feeding double whoppers to Mane and Salah while they are drip fed Red Bull.

I'm fully expecting someone to be 3-0 up at some point. I'm just not sure who and at what point. Or if whoever it is will actually win from that point.

This find of game must be a bookie's nightmare (I'm just glad I got my bet in last August!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Do Real have any players observing it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Athletes/Players get Ramadan exemptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Athletes/Players get Ramadan exemptions.

Everyone is exempt if they choose to be. They don't have to apply to some council or something, they can simply choose to add on missed days at the end. But people generally don't apparently, as it kind of goes against the spirit and point of the whole thing. It's not a tradition someone forces upon you, it's a thing you choose to undertake. (grilled a muslim friend for info).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Surely then its up to the manager & whether he believes the player is 100% the best option in that position at the time of the game.

I'm sure muslim players will be fine, they are already observing Ramadan, and are still training and preparing for the game on Saturday. If they are struggling in training, I'm sure the manager won't pick them.

Can you imagine Klopp dropping Salah and Mane for this game?

I see BenEadir’s point. I don’t see how Salah and Mane will be at 100% if they are following Ramadan fully on that day. They may be at 90%, who knows, but that could be enough to derail their performances. As for not being picked if they’re not up to it in training, that isn’t really the point. Even if they were at 90% they’d still be better than Ings and Solanke. But the point is, they won’t be at their 100% no matter what they do…. I just don’t see how they can be. Food science is absolutely massive at this level – this level being the biggest club game in world competition.

Apparently players can take days off from observing Ramadan if they contribute towards charity and make up the day(s) they missed at the end. If that’s the case, let’s hope they’ve done so. In fact, if it’s ok with their religion to do such a thing, I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t do so on the biggest day of their professional career.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Everyone is exempt if they choose to be. They don't have to apply to some council or something, they can simply choose to add on missed days at the end. But people generally don't apparently, as it kind of goes against the spirit and point of the whole thing. It's not a tradition someone forces upon you, it's a thing you choose to undertake. (grilled a muslim friend for info).

Yep, your spot on there, if they are fasting, they can skip fasting for a period and add them on later.

It's nothing to worry about lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I don't think we have any players (or many exist in world football) who you'd prefer in your team over a 99% Mo Salah.

My point is that if you're doing anything which prevents you from being absolutely as well prepared as you possibly can be you are imposing your choice (in this case religious fasting) on your team mates.

If the consequence of your fasting is you aren't training well and can't be picked your personal choice to fast is still having a very negative impact on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Knex. wrote: »

Sevilla didn't.

Unless you count over two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

noodler wrote: »
    Sevilla didn't.

Unless you count over two games.

Yeah, it's just 5 against each team, rather than in individual matches necessarily. Man City is the same, 3 and 2. Still some achievement though, to have scored at least 5 against every CL single opponent over the two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hopefully Salah & Mane play well because if not we might never hear the end of how Ramadan affected them etc.

They have done it all there lives & will have professionals helping them prepare to perform.

in 2005, i watched the match with a bunch of mates. half fellow Liverpool fans, and half Utd fans.

the smugness of the Utd fans at halftime, transferring to the disbelief and anger by the end, along with trying to suppress their disappointment, was only bettered by the incredible joy I felt when we won.

but i didn't sit down from the 60th minute.

i kicked things, swore at things, sat on the stairs, walked around aimlessly, knelt, and generally just embarrassed myself for the entirety of the match. i don't think i could go through it all in public this time. so i'll be watching this one in the privacy of my own home, with a few beers, and if we win, I may head out.

otherwise, I'm very happy to just suffer alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ste- wrote: »
    Do Real have any players observing it ?
    Benzema possibly ?

let's not get bogged down in this Ramadan thing.

we don't need something else getting in our heads. there's enough to be worrying about, and the club will be handling it. this isn't something that will have come as a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I disagree. This is potentially the biggest game of their lives. They should use the exception and fast another day. I don't see how not eating/drinking for that long before a game can't have some negative affect on a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Standard Chartered for another four years, not seen any numbers but I trust they are paying quite a lot more for 2018-2022

Looks to be £40M a year, same as Arsenal. Not too far behind United (about £53M), who still have bigger global clout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Benzema possibly ?

Yeh, such a devout Muslim... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I dont see why any muslim would broadcast to the world they are not observing ramadan. It's entirely possible he is not really observing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

klose wrote: »
    Does can observe ramadan aswell? I know at best he will be on the bench but another possible player who might not be at 100%.

I read that as 'Doves can observe ramadan aswell.'

Roll on Saturday so we can all go back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dont see why any muslim would broadcast to the world they are not observing ramadan. It's entirely possible he is not really observing it.

Doubt it, sure don't all roman Catholics give up sweets for lent.

The sheer quality of some of these goals!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I read that as 'Doves can observe ramadan aswell.'

Roll on Saturday so we can all go back to normal.

When were we ever normal ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see the Masterson the young Irish  CB is the one who misses out in the Final squad for the returning Can ,
    I'd say the young lad is gutted not to be part of it but his team will come ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Nah fcuk that.

Only reason to be ****ting it is if you're worried about the WUMS if we lose out.

The team has achieved something momentous by getting to the final so I'm enjoying the build up. I'll probably be nervy and on the edge of my seat once the whistle blows but before that, I'm basking in the glory of just getting there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Pandaramadan

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Listened to that final trailer from Reddit via Bluetooth in the car before leaving work, blaring ,sun ripping down.

I'd nearly have fckin ran home after that,superb work.

I see we've moved from 34th place last year to 22nd this season (so far) in the UEFA club coefficients. And for 2 of the last 5 seasons that are counted, we weren't in Europe and got no points (the 1st of the 'null' points seasons (13/14) are about to expire too).

So probably goodbye 3rd seeds pot for next season!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I see we've moved from 34th place last year to 22nd this season (so far) in the UEFA club coefficients. And for 2 of the last 5 seasons that are counted, we weren't in Europe and got no points (the 1st of the 'null' points seasons (13/14) are about to expire too).

So probably goodbye 3rd seeds pot for next season!! :D:D:D

i thought winners got the top seed :pac:

i thought winners got the top seed :pac:

just in case.... :cool:

but not just for next season, going beyond, hence get to the knockout stages again next year, and the coefficient will rise further, giving us better draws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be honest I don't kind if he is observing it. I'm sure we have enough nutritionists at the club to help him stay healthy enough to target his diet for evenings while maintaining his fitness during the day.

I love the fact that Salah is Muslim. We have a couple at the club yes. We have also had a few in the past. But the fact he is talked about globally right now is amazing for Muslim relations. Far too much negative press in the last two decades and not enough good press. The fact the our mo seems to be so nice and genuine, like Mane now that I think about it, makes it even better. The man is a genuine role model and a professional. Fair play to the guy who was coming here as back up to Mane in many of our eyes.

So I don't think Ramadan will interfere with him. He will be ready because that is what he does.

I can not ****ing wait!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Any chance of a podcast link instead Luckycharms?...cos nobody is reading that. :p

There is no podcast. Its an article from NY times :P

Sorry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see the Masterson the young Irish  CB is the one who misses out in the Final squad for the returning Can ,
    I'd say the young lad is gutted not to be part of it but his team will come ,

Frankly I'd sooner Can was available for the peno shoot out myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Frankly I'd sooner Can was available for the peno shoot out myself! :D

And the little matter of actually being a viable option to play a part in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Really do not understand why people are fussed with Can in the squad. He deserves to be there. He was a key player for us last season getting us to Champions League, Was a key player this year in the competition too. 

He was injured and that is why he missed out on latter stages - anyone who thinks he would jeopardise his World Cup place to force a move needs to go to a loony bin

Running down a contract and signing a new pre contract with another team is not uncommon... particularly Germans... didn't Lewandoski or Gotze play for Dortmund in a Champions League final recently against Bayern Munich having already signed the pre contract with Bayern.
    I'm sure the only thing on Can's mind is becoming a Champions League winner for the first time. I hope he plays on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Happy with can in the squad as an option from the bench. No way he should start though.

Ideal scenario would be if the game is still in the balance at 60 mins and we need to change things. A player of Can's talent when motivated in a cl final in his last game should revel in that sh1t.

Can was central to us getting to this stage. He well deserves to be in the squad.
    He is at the moment a Liverpool player. He's 'fit' and we a short across the midfield.

I hope that he gets some minutes and makes memories for us and him before he leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He wasn't that central to getting us here considering he hasn't played since Porto, still have him in the squad if he's fit though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement