Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

I think we're best placed to challenge city next season, more so than any other team in the league, utd have no direction and a toxic atmosphere who somehow managed to scrape 2nd with a expensively assembled squad not interested in playing, Roman seems to have gone AWOL from chelsea, spurs won't spend anything of note this summer, Arsenal need to buy a whole new defence and half a midfield.

We on the other hand have clear progression every year, we overachieved massively in the CL which perhaps meant we did'nt give 100% in the league for the last couple of months, we also had terrible luck with injuries that happened all at the same time which gives the false impression of a lack of squad depth.

Keita is coming in next month, we will 100% sign a GK when Migs leaves this summer, which leaves us needing a quality replacement for the front three for competition and injuries. Not a bad situation to be in all said and done.

Sorry but posts like this are incredibly naive.

16-17 Liverpool were 17 points off top with 76 points.

17-18 Liverpool were 25 points off top with 75 points.

You might see clear progression but that doesn't seem to be helping in the league. United actually made up more points last season despite having no direction and a toxic atmosphere (which I haven't really come across amongst match going United supporters).

The only team progressing in the league are city, everyone else is so far behind that they're playing for second. You're posting like Liverpool are actually pushing them but they're not close. Do you really think Liverpool will make up 25 points next season? Do you think city won't improve their squad over the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Augeo wrote: »
    I think karius is likely to get more chances. Klopp bought him to be our #1 GK long-term..... I reckon he'll stick with him.

He will always be known as the guy who cost us the CL. He won't be able to recover mentally. First mistake he makes Klopp will be under massive pressure to drop him. I was seriously angry with Karius last night but he is not a good GK and should never have started the final. Klopp's determination to stick with poor players has cost us 2 european finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SteM wrote: »

You might see clear progression but that doesn't seem to be helping in the league. United actually made up more points last season despite having no direction and a toxic atmosphere (which I haven't really come across amongst match going United supporters).

The only team progressing in the league are city, everyone else is so far behind that they're playing for second. You're posting like Liverpool are actually pushing them but they're not close. Do you really think Liverpool will make up 25 points next season? Do you think city won't improve their squad over the summer?

Do you think City will hit 100 points again? I doubt it, they'll come back down next season to around 90ish points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Klopp isn't stupid and I'm sure he's known for a while that the GK position needed improving, but the reality is that he has to work in terms of priority and who is available at a given time. We aren't Man City who could drop 200m on defensive improvements at the drop of a dime.

In a lot of ways last night was like the cart before the horse; we weren't ready to jump that final hurdle. But it will come in time and hopefully we won't have to wait too long again before the chance of glory comes knocking again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The toxic angle is the team/manager I think, not what supporters think (though many don't like Mourinho's view of the game). As for catching City, I don't see them blitzing the league to the same extent so the gap won't be about 20 points over anyone else. All Liverpool can do is keep pushing on. The CL run for one point less in the league is a perfectly acceptable trade off unless you're an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

sorry but this is Liverpool, Kariusis simply not good enough, Henderson is our worst captain (mediocre player at best) as far back as i remember (late 60s), Moreno is not good enough, Llanna should stick to modelling. These players need to go. Also a stronger bench is required as it is broken due to the weight of mediocrity. Another strong striker required

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Do you think City will hit 100 points again? I doubt it, they'll come back down next season to around 90ish points.

Don't know to be honest. They seem to have most teams beaten mentally before the game starts. Chelsea won the league with 93 points the previous season, there's no reason at all that City can't emulate that. That still means Liverpool would have to make up 19 points to finish on 94 points next season. Unlikely imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There is a reason we have been linked with Alisson for most of the season.

And when Pearce & Joyce say that publicly the club is letting that be known that we need an upgrade in the goalkeeper department and are looking for one.

Those 2 howlers just vividly came into my mind there. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Where are all these posters coming from?

Its not a closed club or anything but where we're they when we got top four and were blitzing our way to the final?

• Advertisement

The toxic angle is the team/manager I think, not what supporters think (though many don't like Mourinho's view of the game). As for catching City, I don't see them blitzing the league to the same extent so the gap won't be about 20 points over anyone else. All Liverpool can do is keep pushing on. The CL run for one point less in the league is a perfectly acceptable trade off unless you're an idiot.

Don't see how a team improving by 12 points in the league and having a run to a cup final can have a toxic relationship with the manager tbh. Maybe I'm being naive. As for the CL run being a trade off for one less point, I don't see the point you're trying to make when the poster was specifically taking about pushing City in the league.

noodler wrote: »
    Where are all these posters coming from?

Its not a closed club or anything but where we're they when we got top four and were blitzing our way to the final?

Sulking in their own Vomitorium. Now they have confidence to brag about Liverpool's abject failure. The bravery of cowards.

Or bantz as it's popularly known!

Don't know to be honest. They seem to have most teams beaten mentally before the game starts. Chelsea won the league with 93 points the previous season, there's no reason at all that City can't emulate that. That still means Liverpool would have to make up 19 points to finish on 94 points next season. Unlikely imo.

I don't think Liverpool will win the league next year, both United and City have better squads and will spend more this summer.

What I want is Liverpool to give both of those teams a battle and be thereabouts come season end. Top 4 is the main aim and a decent run in the cups (possibly winning one of them).

Kieta coming in will be huge. A new keeper, another player for the front three that is good enough to start but can rotate in to keep everyone fresh, and a midfielder, should see a bit more strength and depth added.

Don't see how a team improving by 12 points in the league and having a run to a cup final can have a toxic relationship with the manager tbh. Maybe I'm being naive. As for the CL run being a trade off for one less point, I don't see the point you're trying to make when the poster was specifically taking about pushing City in the league.

You were the one who typed out

The gap is the gap, Liverpool can't do much about that beyond win more games (and take 6 points off City rather than the usual 4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Best season since 2013/2014

****ing hell lads, seems discussion is not welcome in a discussion forum. Any wonder this place is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Last night was very dissapointing, I think bar the 2 mistakes made by Karius we were a match for Madrid and could have at least took it to extra time.
    But it was not meant to be and we were beaten by the team who have now won it 3 times in a row, there should be no shame in that.

Now as for all the utd fans gloating and reveling in our loss, it seems to many of them it is the highlight of there season.
    And we should take that as a positive sign of how far we have come in the last few seasons and how far they have dropped. It was only a few years back we were being told how we are a mid table club who are finished as a force in Europe.
    I am very optimistic about our future and hopefully a few more signings can give us another successful season next year.

****ing hell lads, seems discussion is not welcome in a discussion forum. Any wonder this place is dying.

Well if you come in peace then do do more often not just after a CL defeat. Timing is all.

I for one welcome the great banter doing the rounds today.

• Advertisement

Well if you come in peace then do do more often not just after a CL defeat. Timing is all.

Come in peace? Its a discussion forum, if someone posts something that catches my eye I'll respond and try to discuss it with them. I'm not going to schedule my posts to suit people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

:D:D

We’ve killed the forum now?

Worst fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Last night was very dissapointing, I think bar the 2 mistakes made by Karius we were a match for Madrid and could have at least took it to extra time.
    But it was not meant to be and we were beaten by the team who have now won it 3 times in a row, there should be no shame in that.

Now as for all the utd fans comming in here gloating and reveling in our loss, it seems to many of them it is the highlight of there season.
    And we should take that as a positive sign of how far we have come in the last few seasons and how far they have dropped. It was only a few years back we were being told how we are a mid table club who are finished as a force in Europe.
    I am very optimistic about our future and hopefully a few more signings can give us another successful season next year.

Come on man.

Any United loss we (I) would gloat.

It is give and take - I was ecstatic watching united ****e football all season and their pathetic performance in cup.

You were the one who typed out

The gap is the gap, Liverpool can't do much about that beyond win more games (and take 6 points off City rather than the usual 4)

Yes I posted the points tally in response to a poster that said that he thought that Liverpool would be the team to push City next season. There is no progress in the league to suggest such a big jump in league places imo. You brought up the CL.

The CL endeavours was the context of the one point drop, I'd take that every season right now frankly, Liverpool do not have a bottomless pit of money to draw upon - the 80 million or so generated by this run will be very useful in the market this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Last night must have been tough to take; I know my Liverpool-supporting mates are gutted.

I admire the optimism of what I’m reading but you’ve got to try to be objective. Yes, this season has been exciting and getting to the Champions League final represents an extraordinary achivement for a very ordinary group of players spearheaded by the excellent Mo Salah. However, there are major problems there. Klopp has lost his last 6 finals and has not tasted success at all for many years. He seems incapable of setting up a defence. Salah has been phenomenal but there is a risk that this season was his Kevin Philips effort or that he’ll leave to join a bigger club. It’s hard to know what the future holds on the basis that Liverpool cannot compete financially with Europe’s giants.

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fair play to all the neutrals coming in here in peace for a bit of objective discussion and showing genuine concern for the future of the club.

The CL endeavours was the context of the one point drop, I'd take that every season right now frankly, Liverpool do not have a bottomless pit of money to draw upon - the 80 million or so generated by this run will be very useful in the market this summer.

I love watching, pool such a joy.

I know it is a slow build over the last few years

But I'm fearing Klopp has a bit of a German Wenger in him. Wouldn't take a footballing genius to know the problems at pool and squad and he is at this 3 years.

I'll give him more time - but it is bloody slow and frustrating. We all knew we needed a keeper 3 years ago. That is what 6 transfer windows. Ok he tried Karius - but within a month we knew he wasn't ready / any good. Within a year we knew he had no future at the club.

Not just the keeper - we all know problems across the park and squad. Adam Llanala a sub in a CL final says it all.

Ox being injured - we were always on edge.
    Salah if was injured all season we were ****ed and we only just got 4th
    The CB and midfield are long term Klopp problems too.

We were just in a CL final - I need to take stock. But please sort the squad problmes. We were falling apart with fatigue towards the end of the season.

And Danny Ings and Solanke were our go to men. Two more players that we all know have no place in a top 4 team/squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Defining progress purely by league points is also incredibly naive.

Liverpool are 25 points off City, but there's no way that team is much, much worse than City's. City's dominance is due to their squad. You accumulate points by beating all the dross. They pulled away from Oct-Feb when games were coming like lightning. Champions League. Cup games. 3 games a week. Why? Because they rotate subtly and the quality doesn't really dip. Sterling comes put for a game. Aguero takes a rest. Sané takes a rest. Silva goes and looks after his wife and baby. Kompany out for ages. Yet they keep winning.

You take Mané, Salah, VVD, Robertson or Firmino out (for instance), the quality dramatically dips. Even take fúcking Ox out, and we miss him terribly. Therefore, key players are rested at our peril.

We don't have the squad. That's the issue.

We need depth. The gap between starters and bench needs to narrow.

But you look at how we have played so often this season, and how we've taken it to many teams, and you can't but see progress.

It's not ALL about league points. They are a barometer, but don't be fooled into using it as THE barometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Watched the game again up until Salah going off. Easy to forget now but we were actually very good up to his injury. Nearly got in on goal 3 or 4 times only for last ditch Madrid clearances. You could see the Madrid players arguing amongst themselves. Once Salah was gone their defence visibly pushed up and Marcelo started bombing forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have more respect for the posters that come in an outright troll than I do for the ones that try to put a bit of effort in and fail terribly and look worse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Just reading the Sunday Times player ratings - they gave Karius 1/10, fair enough, but Wijnaldum got 4/10.

Thought that was a bit harsh.

Lovren got the highest Liverpool mark at 8/10, I thought he had a fantastic game. Very little the back 4 could have done about any of the goals we shipped last night.

I have more respect for the posters that come in an outright troll than I do for the ones that try to put a bit of effort in and fail terribly and look worse for it.

I wouldn't mind but some of them must think they are actually being subtle about it.

Last night must have been tough to take; I know my Liverpool-supporting mates are gutted.

I admire the optimism of what I’m reading but you’ve got to try to be objective. Yes, this season has been exciting and getting to the Champions League final represents an extraordinary achivement for a very ordinary group of players spearheaded by the excellent Mo Salah. However, there are major problems there. Klopp has lost his last 6 finals and has not tasted success at all for many years. He seems incapable of setting up a defence. Salah has been phenomenal but there is a risk that this season was his Kevin Philips effort or that he’ll leave to join a bigger club. It’s hard to know what the future holds on the basis that Liverpool cannot compete financially with Europe’s giants.

Second best defence in the league since VVD joined.

Started the year poorly with heavy defeats to City and Spurs. When Robertson and VVD were introduced the back four improved hugely. Quite a few errors from keepers during the season but I'd expect a new guy to come in during the summer.

Conceded less goals this season compared to last as well. You'd expect that to be improved again next season.

SlickRic wrote: »

fúcking Ox out,

I think we can drop the ****ing - would we be even in the CL final without him.

He has been class.

I wouldn't mind but some of them must think they are actually being subtle about it.

Utd supporters are much more a dig in the eye than a sneaky Ramos style punch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I was very disappointed for Liverpool last night. Thought they were fantastic for the first 25/30 minutes. Salah going off hit them hard and they were under pressure for most of the rest of the half but came out fighting in the second. You can't plan for those kind of keeper mistakes. I feel really sorry for Karius. Hopefully though this means there's no doubt left in Klopps mind that ye need a new keeper. I honestly believe that a keeper and a centre half can push Liverpool on next season. Maybe not a PL title but closer than this year and something to build on for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

It's hard to ignore other teams supporters (mostly utd) gloating but it can and will be done. I'm down that we lost last night but the season is done and dusted. I am happy that we even got to the final and finished in top 4. Liverpool under Klopp play a much more attractive and entertaining style of football than Utd under Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

You'll "give him more time"????

wow. He just got us to a Champions league final. From the qualifying round. That doesnt happen by itself.

This season Klopp fixed our defence and found a player that can score a lot of goals. The team is improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Blondie919 wrote: »
    It's hard to ignore other teams supporters (mostly utd) gloating but it can and will be done. I'm down that we lost last night but the season is done and dusted. I am happy that we even got to the final and finished in top 4. Liverpool under Klopp play a much more attractive and entertaining style of football than Utd under Mourinho.

They have nothing to gloat about. They got nowhere near the Champions League final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The club is now in a great place. Ignore the nonsense from the utd fans. They have been terrified the past few weeks that we could win the CL and the full time whistle last night was a big release for them. A lot of them also have the hump that klopp and poch get praised but Jose doesn't. They know the reason but won't acknowledge it even though the spent most of the season trying to justify Jose's season with the pep spent 30% more stuff.
    Klopp has done a great job. The club was in a bad state when he took over from a player point of view , financially not being able to compete with 4 teams in the league , and being a place that was unattractive for the better players as the club had been slipping apart from 2013/2014 for the best part of 8 years.
    What he had to do was get more out of the players he had, try to get into the top 4 and then sustain that . All of this has been achieved. By doing this he has now raised the profile of the club, made the club attractive for the best players and given the club the money to compete for the best players and raised the money so the club can have a squad that's fit for purpose for a top 4 team.
    This is a gradual process.
    Year 1 Improve the players he had and put a bit of believe back into the club.
    Year 2 qualify for CL . The club didn't have European football so no need for a big squad . The club also can't afford a big squad for the sake of it. No such worries for Jose. This big squad helps when it comes to competing for the lesser trophies fa and Carling cup.
    Year 3 Increase squad numbers and qualify again for CL. We now had European football so squad needed to be increased in size which it was. Its still a good bit short of what other top 4 rivals have numbers wise. Progress again this year as qualified for CL again while having European football also reaching a CL final. A lot of the experts that came in last night would have said last year that we only got top 4 because no European football.
    Year 4 After two successive top 4 finishes. I'd now expect the squad to be increased a bit in size and to be improved in quality. This will help make winning the fa cup and Carling cup competitions more likely . Jose doesn't face these squad challenges that poch and klopp have faced. He has the biggest squad in the league and the club can afford to have a bunch of players on big money that sit around twiddling their thumbs most of the season but can be useful for certain games. Jose can also go and offer the highest wage in the league to entice a player to sign.
    I'd expect klopp to spend big this summer with fairly minimal outgoings . He has had to earn that privilege and that's why I think he has done a great job.
    My main issue with klopp was going into this season with mignolet and karius as the goalkeeping options . I will say it is inexcusable if that's the case come the start of next season. Neither are good enough and never have been and never will be.
    Wouldn't be overly dissapointed with last night a couple of things conspired against us but the best team won and they are an excellent team.
    I genuinely feel the club is in the strongest position its been in in the last 15 or so years and with the inevitable increased squad size will be in a realistic position to target a domestic cup alongside qualifying for top 4 and giving the CL a good go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It is concerning how much we dropped off after Salah went off, besides our defenders, only Mane stepped up last night.

Big summer ahead though (say the same every year ha), I think it's important we don't lose any first team players (besides Can obvs) so we can build done squad depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

SlickRic wrote: »

Liverpool are 25 points off City, but there's no way that team is much, much worse than City's. City's dominance is due to their squad. You accumulate points by beating all the dross. They pulled away from Oct-Feb when games were coming like lightning. Champions League. Cup games. 3 games a week. Why? Because they rotate subtly and the quality doesn't really dip. Sterling comes put for a game. Aguero takes a rest. Sané takes a rest. Silva goes and looks after his wife and baby. Kompany out for ages. Yet they keep winning.

You take Mané, Salah, VVD, Robertson or Firmino out (for instance), the quality dramatically dips. Even take fúcking Ox out, and we miss him terribly. Therefore, key players are rested at our peril.

We don't have the squad. That's the issue.

We need depth. The gap between starters and bench needs to narrow.

But you look at how we have played so often this season, and how we've taken it to many teams, and you can't but see progress.

It's not ALL about league points. They are a barometer, but don't be fooled into using it as THE barometer.

Citys depth is scary, they could realistically lose the entire first 11 and still be a side you would expect to beat most sides in the league home or away. De bruyne, silva, mendy and Ederson are a good bit better than the replacements but bar Bravo the replacements would get in most of the top 6 sides or threaten. They are scary.

One thing about the blitz attack is that it can shut down games for you guys early which could allow you to get more out of the players since the energy won't used all game.

I think the timing of the Salah injury unlucky, it really shut you down for a a bit after. Though I had been saying to mates that if real could out for the first 25/30 mins they should get a handle on pool. Not many (any) top teams play as aggressively as you guys and it seems to have rattled sides yeve met initially.

Think it was a bit of both then at that stage, Madrid had weathered the storm and Salah goes off, once the sting came out of the game feeling was real would grind it out. Still took some crazy situations but felt they had the better of play from then on.

Feel bad for Salah and karius. Thought if Salah scored and ye won he'd get ballon d'or.

Mr.H wrote: »

wow. He just got us to a Champions league final. From the qualifying round. That doesnt happen by itself.

This season Klopp fixed our defence and found a player that can score a lot of goals. The team is improving.

I have zero doubts that the team will be even better next season. They have to bite the bullet regarding a goalkeeper. Can't be avoided now. Keita and whatever other midfielder we bring in will improve the midfield. And we'll actually have some depth up front.

Just reading the Sunday Times player ratings - they gave Karius 1/10, fair enough, but Wijnaldum got 4/10.

Thought that was a bit harsh.

Lovren got the highest Liverpool mark at 8/10, I thought he had a fantastic game. Very little the back 4 could have done about any of the goals we shipped last night.

Mirror gave all but 2 players 7/10.
    Mane 8/10 & karius 4/10.

Karius for the 3rd goal makes the first look not too bad imo :pac:

Mane was my motm..... really made a mark on thegame.

Slowly hitting me....this ****ing sucks.

Klopp found salah? Where, in the memoirs of the 13/14 winter transfer window that someone left open in the staff canteen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Henderson, Firmino and Lalana were meh. Especially Lalana.

As someone said it would have been better throwing Moreno on. At least he has a bit of unpredictability.

If your happy with our defence - I genuinely think your expectations are way too low.

We still are Liverpool - not supposed to be happy with 4th and a final.

Leicester have won the PL. We have players in our squad who shouldn't be near a liverpool team. I don't think that is actually a wow comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Replies that Ramos didn't want to injure are just Man Utd fans or are very naive.

He has 24 red cards in his career & should have many more. He goes out to injure an opponent in nearly every game he plays especially the big games. Has regularly tried to break Messi's leg as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement