Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Khedira would be an ideal signing this summer to bring big game experience.

I think after losing the final the club need to make a statement before the World Cup starts.

One if not two major signings announced in the next week 10 days would give everyone a lift especially the fans.

.............for me Klopp has 2 choices here, keep Karius as No 1 BUT bring in an experience keeper as a No 2 who can push him and improve him....................

I reckon he might do this but I think it's not the best thing for LFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think after losing the final the club need to make a statement before the World Cup starts.

One if not two major signings announced in the next week 10 days would give everyone a lift especially the fans.

Can Keita be unveiled or does it have to wait until after July 01st?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Can Keita be unveiled or does it have to wait until after July 01st?

I've seen it said on here July 1st however I really don't know myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I dunno what needs to be done but I would like just for once that the club start focusing on properly improving the squad. It's infuriating that time and time again Liverpool get themselves in a position of success only for the lack of foresight and planning to be the downfall. I know Klopp wants to take his time but injuries do happen so there needs to be adequate back up.

The bench was 2 players returning from lengthy absences due to injury (one who is planning on leaving) and a striker who is not a the level required. That shouldn't happen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I've seen it said on here July 1st however I really don't know myself.

The deal was agreed when the old transfer window was in place, so I'd say the date was set for July 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think Klopp has a few things to address over the summer....Squad depth needs to be improved, but also, some experienced heads need to be purchased. With the exception of Milner, we have no title winners in our squad......Im open to correction on that.

Klopp has lost 6 finals in a row......on average we should have won 3 of them....when Salah went off, we had nobody to calm everything down, and reassure the players....no leaders....no Carraghers, no Gerrards, no Hamann....no experience.

At the beginning of the season, I would have bitten your hand off for top 4 and a good run in Europe.....its not a blame game, but as they say you learn more in defeat than in victory.

Re Karius, I really feel for the guy.....an arm round the shoulder is all well and good from Klopp, but we need more experience in the position.....for me Klopp has 2 choices here, keep Karius as No 1 BUT bring in an experience keeper as a No 2 who can push him and improve him.....someone like Reina perhaps....or go out and sign Oblak or Allisson........Butland for me is not the answer

There finals with Liverpool.

Sevilla in the Europa League who were going for three in a row.

City in the Carling Cup where we lost on penalties.

Real last weekend, Real going for 4 in the last five was it?

We were probably underdogs in all of those, especially against Sevilla and Real who both were experts at winning those respective Cups.

Were getting there and at least having a chance at winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Looking for to another frustrating transfer window but here is what I'd ideally like to see

CM - Keita done but he's replacing Can

ACM - Fekir hopefully but he's replacing Countino

GK - Need to sign someone who's more of an upgrade on Karius than Butland. Allison and Oblak are probably pipe dreams finance wise but there is no point signing mediocre to replace mediocre.

ATT - Crucial we get another quality forward in of a similar standard to our front 3. I don't buy the argument that no one will want to come in and sit on the bench. Buy someone good enough that all 4 of the forwards then play 40 odd games each instead of 3 having to play 60. The attack has the biggest drop off in quality from starting 11 to the bench of the entire squad.

CB - Get another good centre back in to compete with Lovren. Let Klavan go. Matip and Gomez who both haven't convinced me can then fight it out for 4th spot.

DM - I wouldn't prioritise DM as much as the above. I think Hendo, Milner or Gini could all do the job there. But if the above were covered and a better DM was available great!

The order of priority for me is:
    1. ATT
    2. GK
    3. ACM
    4. CB
    5. DM

• Advertisement

Brego888 wrote: »
    Looking for to another frustrating transfer window but here is what I'd ideally like to see

CM - Keita done but he's replacing Can

ACM - Fekir hopefully but he's replacing Countino

GK - Need to sign someone who's more of an upgrade on Karius than Butland. Allison and Oblak are probably pipe dreams finance wise but there is no point signing mediocre to replace mediocre.

ATT - Crucial we get another quality forward in of a similar standard to our front 3. I don't buy the argument that no one will want to come in and sit on the bench. Buy someone good enough that all 4 of the forwards then play 40 odd games each instead of 3 having to play 60. The attack has the biggest drop off in quality from starting 11 to the bench of the entire squad.

CB - Get another good centre back in to compete with Lovren. Let Klavan go. Matip and Gomez who both haven't convinced me can then fight it out for 4th spot.

DM - I wouldn't prioritise DM as much as the above. I think Hendo, Milner or Gini could all do the job there. But if the above were covered and a better DM was available great!

The order of priority for me is:
    1. ATT
    2. GK
    3. ACM
    4. CB
    5. DM

I'd say Fekir is coming in as the Attacking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd say Fekir is coming in as the Attacking option.

I fear that too and as good as he is i would be seriously unimpressed if he was the only attacking option signed this summer.
    He'll play a lot of games particularly against the poorer teams in the midfield 3 which still leaves no further options for the forward 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

At least he gets to finals (klopp) that in itself shows the man knows what he's doing,plenty of others never make finals let alone win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

At least he gets to finals (klopp) that in itself shows the man knows what he's doing,plenty of others never make finals let alone win.

Yeah, it can be argued its a strange thing to criticise someone for whilst those who don't make finals get off.

Brego888 wrote: »
    I fear that too and as good as he is i would be seriously unimpressed if he was the only attacking option signed this summer.
    He'll play a lot of games particularly against the poorer teams in the midfield 3 which still leaves no further options for the forward 3.

Keita, Ox and Henderson will be the starting three as things are I'd say. To be honest Ox deserves his starting spot after the way he played post Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Seriously have heard nothing about Fekir chap until Liverpool were linked with him. Whatever happened Lemar he was last years Fekir haha.

To echo what others are saying i think the squad needs an upgrade, The biggest issue on Saturday night (apart from Karius) was Real could bring Bale off the bench to score two we had nothing. Lallana has gone off a cliff form wise for the last season (i know he's been injured for most of it) but i cant see him getting back into the starting 11 next season regardless. Solanke looks ok for a young player but i dont think he's good enough to be used that often next season apart from Cup games or something - he seems to be missing something. Ings etc should just be let go.

As someone said above i think Shaw could be a good signing under Klopp or even Martial if he's on the move (just happens these are both at United) Liverpool have a very decent starting 11 when everyone is fit but the squad needs to be updated.

ps what about Alderweireld why arent we putting in a bid if Spurs sell him??

Still a very good season overall and a few key players and hold onto the current stars and i think we're in a good place to challenge for the league next season

• Advertisement

We absolutely need a holding/DM player who knows how to transition a ball from defence to attack.

Jorginho would have been the perfect player for that role however he's off to City by the looks of it.

Neves although young would also be ideal for that role if we signed him it may take a while to see the best of him. However a stellar year in the Championship shows he's up to English football something that is used to question foreign footballers.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Keita, Ox and Henderson will be the starting three as things are I'd say. To be honest Ox deserves his starting spot after the way he played post Christmas.

Yup .......... hopefully he gets back to his post Christmas form after recovering.

Ndidi?

*Don't make the joke*

We do need to be mindful that it's tough to improve a team that got to the CL final and also came 4th in the very competitive PL.

For me, GK is the most obvious potential for a significant upgrade.

Indeed Niddi should be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Augeo wrote: »
    We do need to be mindful that it's tough to improve a team that got to the CL final and also came 4th in the very competitive PL.

true...but we need to improve the squad too. We are too threadbare that when injuries come, we are struggling.

The fact that Ox and Henderson are default starters is an issue for me and I say that as a fan of Ox.

Off the bench, no problems but they shouldn't be starters and the club should be actively looking to improve their positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

brevity wrote: »
    The fact that Ox and Henderson are default starters is an issue for me and I say that as a fan of Ox.

Off the bench, no problems but they shouldn't be starters and the club should be actively looking to improve their positions.

Ox was playing great up to his injury. Think he's a starter in the future. He will also get better as he has done this season.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ox was playing great up to his injury. Think he's a starter in the future. He will also get better as he has done this season.

He was but I think it says more about our midfield that he was able to come in and become a starter so quickly.

I don't want to belittle was Ox has done btw I just consider Henderson and Milner to be bench material too.

A midfielder that fits into our style etc who can score 8 to 10 ish PL goals over the course of the season would be good IMO. Accepting that Phil wasn't exactly what we needed behind the front 3.
    I don't want to belittle was Ox has done btw I just consider Henderson and Milner to be bench material too.

And Wij?

A midfielder that fits into our style etc who can score 8 to 10 ish PL goals over the course of the season would be good IMO. Accepting that Phil wasn't exactly what we needed behind the front 3.

And Wij?

Yup. The midfield needs serious work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Id agree with this in general but more specifically with Henderson (Ox could up another level and become a genuine starter).

Henderson is at his peak now. He is a very good player but unfortunately just not good enough for what we need. In terms of him being in the squad and coming off the bench I cant see him doing that role to great effect and I doubt he would settle for it either. He is not composed enough at this level. Fantastic attitude and runner etc as we all know but has been found short against top opposition plenty of times in the last few years.

To be fair to Henderson, he's being shoehorned into a position that isn't really his. Klopp reckoned he'd make a great #6 iirc, he's just a good one, on his day mayber very good depending on the opposition.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We will buy a new goalie this summer, whether that is as a Mignolet replacement or a clear number one, who knows.

Milner is 33 and entering the last year of his contract, Can is off, Lallana is injury prone, Henderson is a bit brittle too, and Chamberlain has a poor injury record in recent years, plus will be coming back from a long layoff. I reckon as well as Keita, we will need 1 if not 2 more midfielders.

Sturridge, Ings will be sold, Solanke is willing but unlikely to be able. Similar for Origi although he has shown burst of promise. Fekir is a target who can play wide or as a number 10. Ideally we'd get him and one other player capable of playing up front and not diluting the quality too much, whether wide or as a focal point.

We may sign a defender, but I think it will be the lowest priority. We won't bring in a lot of money through sales this window, but may well spend in the region of 200m, which while a large amount of money could go fairly fast if it was 80m on Allison, 65m on Fekir for example. That is 2/3 of the money gone there, so unless there is a Robertson type signing we'll do well to get more than 3 players who would realistically be better than what we have.

We have a good base though, but as said by many others we need a bit more quality in depth. Lallana can be very good, but his injuries and recovery time needed to be effective when fit, coupled with the fact that he is 30 now, means that he isn't likely to be a major contributor. If it was possible to get 20m for him to the likes of West Ham or someone I'd be ok with it. Klopp won't sell him though I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

5starpool wrote: »
    Sturridge, Ings will be sold, Solanke is willing but unlikely to be able. Similar for Origi although he has shown burst of promise. Fekir is a target who can play wide or as a number 10. Ideally we'd get him and one other player capable of playing up front and not diluting the quality too much, whether wide or as a focal point.

I would like Ings to be kept. Maybe it is my head but I think he has enough about him to be 2nd choice.

• Advertisement

For me this is where we need upgrades in the starting 11 and who should be kept and where the squad also needs new blood.

New Keeper

Clyne
    Lovren
    VVD
    Robertson

New DM/Holding

Keita
    New AM

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

Bench would be Ox, Gini, Henderson, New Forward, Lallana, Wilson, Woodburn, TAA, Matip/Ragnar/NewCB, Moreno and Karius.

Solanke, Gomez, Ward, Ojo, Ejaria, Kent out on loan.

Sell Sturridge, Ings, Mignolet, Origi, Girlfriend beater, Bogdan, Markovic & the young lads that won't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I actually think the good thing is that we reached the CL final and some areas should be easy to improve on next season.

GK, RB and a CM plus Van Dyke and Robertson for the whole season in the league.

I would like Ings to be kept. Maybe it is my head but I think he has enough about him to be 2nd choice.

3rd choice maybe. If he was the best of the rest of our options if Firmino got injured I wouldn't be too happy.

Also, only 17 more days until the PL fixtures are announced. Despite the disappointment of the other night, I'm still really looking forward to the new season already! That's a good sign surely.

For me this is where we need upgrades in the starting 11 and who should be kept and where the squad also needs new blood.

New Keeper

Clyne
    Lovren
    VVD
    Robertson

New DM/Holding

Keita
    New AM

Salah
    Fun Bobby
    Mane.

Bench would be Ox, Gini, Henderson, New Forward, Lallana, Wilson, Woodburn, TAA, Matip/Ragnar/NewCB, Moreno and Karius.

Solanke, Gomez, Ward, Ojo, Ejaria, Kent out on loan.

Sell Sturridge, Ings, Mignolet, Origi, Girlfriend beater, Bogdan, Markovic & the young lads that won't make it.

We're not going to have a brand new midfield starting next season. One of the current guys will be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sell Mis, Klavan, Studge, Moreno, Ings,
    New keeper, New CB, Young left full , someone to replace Phil, Somoene to replace Can, Keita , Wide forward, that's six signing if you leave out Keita ,
    I'd also bring Harry Wilson into the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Can't see Klopp bringing in more than Keita and three others during the transfer window.

Ideally I 'd like to see a new goalie - even if we have to set a new world record transfer fee, someone up front that will allow us to rotate in/out the current front 3 and a defensive midfielder.

Between the Coutinho fee, the Champions League money and the fact that we haven't had a big net spend in the last few years, I'd like to think we can afford to target and pay for some quality - much like we did for Van Dijk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

He absolutely isn't good enough for us. Not even close. Will do really well for a mid-level club but even as a bench option for us, he simply isn't good enough. Seriously, I truly want us to be ruthless this summer and so Ings and a few others have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mosstin wrote: »

He absolutely isn't good enough for us. Not even close. Will do really well for a mid-level club but even as a bench option for us, he simply isn't good enough. Seriously, I truly want us to be ruthless this summer and so Ings and a few others have to go.
    Id 100% agree with the above, Ings is a gonner .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Can't see Klopp bringing in more than Keita and three others during the transfer window.

Ideally I 'd like to see a new goalie - even if we have to set a new world record transfer fee, someone up front that will allow us to rotate in/out the current front 3 and a defensive midfielder.

Between the Coutinho fee, the Champions League money and the fact that we haven't had a big net spend in the last few years, I'd like to think we can afford to target and pay for some quality - much like we did for Van Dijk.

We certainly have it, and I fully believe that FSG will see the value in investing further, this CL run was worth £70M in prize money alone, forgetting additional take from gate, merchandise, sponsor bonuses. £100M easy. That must convince them that they have to support the manager!

I reckon FSG have always made reasonable funds available ............them not supporting the manager has never been an issue I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd like to see Keita plus 4 (GK/DM-CM/AM/FW)

Keeper - Alisson/Oblak/Donnarumma
    DM/CM - Khedira/Neves (loan back if the latter)
    AM - Fekir
    FW - NEW + Origi back. (yes I've contradicted my earlier post about Fekir being the attacking option)

Out -

Keeper - Mig
    DM/CM - Can
    AM - Coutinho (January)
    FW - Sturridge and one of Ings/Solanke (be it loan or sale)

Obviously the various odds and ends players will be cleared out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

ebbsy wrote: »
    I have reported this scumbag and excuse of a human being.

Not like you to dip in to other threads to stir. Pot/kettle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Id 100% agree with the above, Ings is a gonner .

Nah, can't see Emery going for him either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Stayed off here the past few days due to clowns ripping into LFC. I'm so proud of the Team,The fans and Klopp, It wasn't to be, but getting there made it a great year. For what it's worth Fekir is 1/6 with sky bet to be a LFC player soon.

Onwards to next year YNWA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

5starpool wrote: »
    3rd choice maybe. If he was the best of the rest of our options if Firmino got injured I wouldn't be too happy.

Fair point. 3rd is probably more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not like you to dip in to other threads to stir. Pot/kettle

Well if he does and it is not in the rules report them. Just because 1 may do it he can't report anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Chesty08 wrote: »
    You can scratch Ronaldo off the great players list as he came off too easy in the Euro finals when his country needed him most

So many lols at this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'd like to see Keita plus 4 (GK/DM-CM/AM/FW)

Keeper - Alisson/Oblak/Donnarumma
    DM/CM - Khedira/Neves (loan back if the latter)
    AM - Fekir
    FW - NEW + Origi back. (yes I've contradicted my earlier post about Fekir being the attacking option)

Out -

Keeper - Mig
    DM/CM - Can
    AM - Coutinho (January)
    FW - Sturridge and one of Ings/Solanke (be it loan or sale)

Obviously the various odds and ends players will be cleared out.

Would you keep Karius. He is gone even for his own sanity I say. They get a good offer they won't stand in his way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Would you keep Karius. He is gone even for his own sanity I say. They get a good offer they won't stand in his way

Mig is deffo a goner, it would be hard to imagine both keepers leaving. I suppose New + Ward is possible, just seems unlikely.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement