Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

1187188189190191193»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

I wonder - if the new lad seems to be a natural no.6, which could push Hendo into a role further up the pitch where he'll be regularly rotated with the growing options we have, could that mean Hendo loses the armband to VVD, who would be an automatic starter for every game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Talisman wrote: »
    BIL is in Rome at the moment - the shock football news there this morning is that Liverpool have approached Lazio about signing their goalkeeper, Thomas Strakosha.

Obligatory YouTube highlights clip make him seem poxed lucky with his saves.

Could have caught a good few of those, seems to parry a lot of shots back into the danger area....not ideal with Lovern around.
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    The fact he is such a good penalty taker and is joining us is such a shame.
    he'll be 2 from 2 next year so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think now we need a goal keeper and another inside forward with pace,
    We have cover everywhere to get by but up front ,if one of the front 3 is injured the fall off is huge,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Was surprised to see Firmino is still only 26, which is fantastic. Fabinho is only 24. Keita is 23.

First Fabinho interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The last time I was excited about our midfield was Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard.

Fabinho and Keita will be a joy to watch, I believe. The rotation options are great for that third slot, either as the no.8/AM role, or a bit deeper with Keita the one being pushed forward.

Ox
    Gini
    Lallana
    Henderson
    Milner
    Grujic
    Woodburn

Add in Fekir, who I think can play the three attacking positions too, and it's hard to ask for much more right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Lazio also have a strong rivalry with Napoli and Livorno, as well as with Pescara and Atalanta. The club also maintains strong competitive rivalries with Fiorentina, Juventus, and Milan

and I thought we were unpopular.

Went to Lazio v Livorno about 10 years ago in Rome. Absolutely poisonous atmosphere. Sitting among well-heeled, well-groomed middle-class Romans who couldn't go 5 minutes without standing for a full Nazi/Blackshirt salute. Livorno lads getting the ****e beaten out of them across the way by the Carabineri/riot police. Dull match, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Get Fun Bobby on the phone to Alisson & Marquinhos.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Gbear wrote: »
    Winning the league is more strongly correlated with attack than defence.

We're not catching City unless we're in and around the 100 goal mark as well.

That's fine - I'm not discounting the need for strong attack - but it's the games that you need to eek out a result is where you win the league - adding 4/5 more wins will be built on a strong defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'd like to sign someone like Jamie Vardy or maybe the man himself!

Has the pace and energy to start the pressing from the front and would excel in our counter attacking style imo.

He could play instead of Firmino on occasion but also no harm in both of them playing with Firmino dropping back a bit.

Options is what it's all about, I think he's be a very nice one to have.

Obv some people see him as an unsavoury character, I've no issues with him myself but it's definitely no reason to not go after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Has the pace and energy to start the pressing from the front and would excel in our counter attacking style imo.

He could play instead of Firmino on occasion but also no harm in both of them playing with Firmino dropping back a bit.

Obv some people see him as an unsavoury character, I've no issues with him myself but it's definitely no reason to not go after him.

i was actually thinking that but not brave enough to suggest it myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He'll be squeezed out this year, not good enough.

If he gets a full pre season in, I'd imagine he will get a lot of games....at least until Ox is back.

Grujic must have no future with us now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

slingerz wrote: »
    i was actually thinking that but not brave enough to suggest it myself!

I have the pluck of a Lion!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Augeo wrote: »

By all accounts he done well on his loan.
    I'd say he'll be given a chance in Pre Season and a decision made after that.

He's also going to the World Cup I believe, so we might get a bit more of him there.

We struggled for depth in midfield towards the end of the season, so he might be handy to have around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The fact that he did well at Cardiff really just reminds that he's not CL level, so I think he needs to move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That fabinho signing is another sign that the club is moving to the next level. Being able to attract a player that a good few other decent teams would have been in for. It will also see us boost our options in midfield. You could have the 3 midfielders that started the CL final playing in domestic cup competitions. This is how you win things . Sign a goalkeeper and a player for the front 3 and we are in a very good position.

Dickerty wrote: »

The fact that he did well at Cardiff really just reminds that he's not CL level, so I think he needs to move on...
    Another loan to Cardiff surely ? 
    They would have him and we would see how good he is in the Prem its a win win ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Surely Ben Woodburn goes on loan this year? Gone a bit stagnent on his development i feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Clyne? Gomez? I think we have quite enough options at RB. I think GK , CB and another striking option are what is needed.
    Possibly a new goalkeeping coach wouldn't go a miss either, I have no faith in Achterberg that he wouldn't ruin another decent keeper if we got one in.

I have given out about the gk coach at lfc a number of times, he has had reina mignolet and karius. Reina was a solid goalkeeper and he fell apart and well mignolet seemed to go backwards under him and karius could be another victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I think Vardy would be a great signing. I wonder how much it would take to get Leicester to sell?

Surely he'd be open to the idea of playing in the Champions League (again).

He could easily rotate across the front 3 positions.

Vardy and Alisson for around the €100m mark and we'd be looking very nice for next season.

• Advertisement

I think Vardy would be a great signing. I wonder how much it would take to get Leicester to sell?

Vardy and Alisson for around the €100m mark and we'd be looking very nice for next season.
    He'd be a great singing for any top 6 team, the guy scores goals,
    We need a GK, CB, and two attackers , not fussed on Fekir at all,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I disagree with this.

He was arguably our best player in 16/17, probably pipped by Mane.

He's had an awful season, ravaged by injury and cannot be judged by last few performances.

I'd like to see him get an injury free run and proper pre-season and see how he is then.

murpho999 wrote: »

I disagree with this.

He's had an awful season, ravaged by injury and cannot be judged by last few performances.

I'd like to see him get an injury free run and proper pre-season and see how he is then.
    Phil and Mane where miles ahead of him in 16/17

I have given out about the gk coach at lfc a number of times, he has had reina mignolet and karius. Reina was a solid goalkeeper and he fell apart and well mignolet seemed to go backwards under him and karius could be another victim.

Can't blame coaching for either of the CL errors.... they were horrific and all on Karius imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Phil and Mane where miles ahead of him in 16/17

He won a lot of praise for performances in that season and was regarded as vital but then injury during the season affected him.

People really seem to forget this.

Look at the mid season player ratings from The Anfield Wrap

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/01/liverpools-201617-mid-season-player-ratings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Can't blame coaching for either of the CL errors.... they were horrific and all on Karius imo

Im just more putting it out there is the man good enough at all because this seems to be 3 keepers who have all had proper howlers under him.

Klopp seems to rate achterberg very highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    By all accounts he done well on his loan.
    I'd say he'll be given a chance in Pre Season and a decision made after that.

He's also going to the World Cup I believe, so we might get a bit more of him there.

We struggled for depth in midfield towards the end of the season, so he might be handy to have around.

He might be sent back to Cardiff to help them in the PL next year. Seemed very popular with fans.

I doubt vardy is the kind of player who'd happily come in and sit on the bench for 80%+ of our games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The thought of Vardy in a Liverpool jersey

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I doubt vardy is the kind of player who'd happily come in and sit on the bench for 80%+ of our games.

I don't think he'd have to.

If we had a very strong quartet playing 3 out of every 4 games each it would allow plenty of game time for everyone and also allow Klopp to give each of them a regular rest. In that scenario each player is spending 25% of the time on the bench

If we have a decent run in the cups there will be loads of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Get Fun Bobby on the phone to Alisson & Marquinhos.

Marca are saying Real are prioritising a goalkeeper this summer and have namechecked Alisson in the article, though L’equipe are saying they are going for Kepa. Oblak is another one that was linked to ye, looks set to sign a new contract with with Atleti with a 200m release clause.. think Donnurumma was linked to ye too but Raiola came out yesterday saying he wants to stay at Milan for years and will sign a new contract.

I think it will be between Alisson and Kepa for ye and whoever Madrid sign ye will sign the other.

astradave wrote: »
    Marca are saying Real are prioritising a goalkeeper this summer and have namechecked Alisson in the article, though L’equipe are saying they are going for Kepa. Oblak is another one that was linked to ye, looks set to sign a new contract with with Atleti with a 200m release clause.. think Donnurumma was linked to ye too but Raiola came out yesterday saying he wants to stay at Milan for years and will sign a new contract.

I think it will be between Alisson and Kepa for ye and whoever Madrid sign ye will sign the other.

Real are just mentioning Alison so you chaps don't unplug the fax machine again ;)

In all seriousness though if we go for Allison or Oblak it's a massive upgrade for us regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

With Ox out until potentially November if Lallana is fit he'll quite likely be the most advanced of the 3 midfielders for Aug, Sep and Oct.

Keita and Fabinho are I reckon not going to play in that role most of the time, Henderson, Milner or Wij won't start ahead of a fit Lallana in that position, IMO.

Plenty of games to go around so I can't see him being squeezed out next season.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I disagree with this.

I appreciate your opinions, in a parallel universe where 2017 - 2018 hadn't happened Lallana would still be a key player for us. It did, he was poor (for reasons beyond his personal control) and we are potentially in the market for a level of player over and above his capabilities.

I have no emotional attachment to him, if he was squeezed out it would be an excellent sign of us moving forward as a club.

I appreciate your opinions, in a parallel universe where 2017 - 2018 hadn't happened Lallana would still be a key player for us. It did, he was poor (for reasons beyond his personal control) and we are potentially in the market for a level of player over and above his capabilities.

I have no emotional attachment to him, if he was squeezed out it would be an excellent sign of us moving forward as a club.

He played just over 300 minutes in the league and champions league last season. How can you say he was poor when he played so little?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He played just over 300 minutes in the league and champions league last season. How can you say he was poor when he played so little?

Because he was poor in the little time he played and he couldn't get on the pitch - again, for reasons beyond his control. And, you know, he's just decent relative to what we aspire to. I want us to upgrade on him and squeeze him out. We should all want that. We want the team to develop and improve and win more matches each year.

Because he was poor in the little time he played and he couldn't get on the pitch - again, for reasons beyond his control. And, you know, he's just decent relative to what we aspire to. I want us to upgrade on him and squeeze him out. We should all want that. We want the team to develop and improve and win more matches each year.

Maybe some of us remember how good he was the season before last and don't want him out the door after a season out injured.

No-one is saying he'll be starting many games, what people are saying is he is decent backup and would provide a lot if he can get back to his 16/17 form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Maybe some of us remember how good he was the season before last and don't want him out the door after a season out injured.

No-one is saying he'll be starting many games, what people are saying is he is decent backup and would provide a lot if he can get back to his 16/17 form.

I agree - by that rationale, we should get rid of Clyne, he failed to make an impact this season...you cannot judge him in his absence, he's a good squad player IF he's over his injury problems. We don't want another Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think the fact that he's 31 will be what puts us off going after him rather than anything to so with his being unlikeable. We generally don't go after players of that age unless it's a free transfer like Milner. Leicester will still look for a decent fee for Vardy. Even at 31.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement