Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

In order for us to win the PL in the next 5 years even, we rely on United/Chelsea/City to all have - not OFF seasons like the Leicester one which was completely insane - but maybe a 75% season. At the moment we are flat out, slightly stretched and still clinging to 4th with the nugget of Semi Finals CL. Everyone was still a long way behind City ...
    I don't agree with this - we've been down that road and it doesn't lead anywhere for us. How many seasons did we witness teams roll over against Ferguson's Man Utd but put in great performances against Arsenal/Liverpool etc? Afterwards you'd hear crap like "Our season isn't going to be defined by our result against Man Utd..." from the manager on the day. Our best chance of winning the league is when it's properly competitive especially so at the top.

Benitez is probably the best tactician in the Premier League and his Newcastle side gave a better account of themselves in their home game against Man City than either of Man Utd and Chelsea. Newcastle are a Championship level team without the resources to hurt Man City. Koeman's Everton also had the measure of Man City in their away game at the start of the season.

Man Utd and Chelsea need to play with the right attitude to give any of us a chance against Man City.

Conte's Chelsea played their away game against Man City without a forward on the pitch - that's a ****ing surrender monkey attitude and was only going to end with a Man City win. Chelsea's performances gifted Man City 6 points this season, in contrast his team threw the kitchen sink at us in the game at Anfield and robbed us of 2 points.

Mourinho's negative tactics cost Man Utd in the derby game at Old Trafford. In the away games against Man City and Liverpool his team demonstrated that they can play to win when the mood takes them.

If the big teams stand up to the challenge of Man City then there is a better chance of us getting closer to them as a group and as we saw last week the additional pressure can change the dynamic of their team.

When the teams with the resources to do so don't make the effort to get at Man City then the other teams in the league will just roll over as we have seen this season and the regular post match sound bite becomes "Our season isn't going to be defined by our result against Man City...".

Another strategy that should be given serious consideration is to give Benitez the resources he needs to affect Newcastle's results against our opponents in a positive manner by loaning them suitable players from the fringes of our squad. Remember when Fabio Borini scored for Sunderland against Chelsea in 2014? It was a pivotal moment in that season and the result meant that Liverpool's title hopes were in their own hands with 4 games to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't agree with this - we've been down that road and it doesn't lead anywhere for us. How many seasons did we witness teams roll over against Ferguson's Man Utd but put in great performances against Arsenal/Liverpool etc? Afterwards you'd hear crap like "Our season isn't going to be defined by our result against Man Utd..." from the manager on the day. Our best chance of winning the league is when it's properly competitive especially so at the top.

Benitez is probably the best tactician in the Premier League and his Newcastle side gave a better account of themselves in their home game against Man City than either of Man Utd and Chelsea. Newcastle are a Championship level team without the resources to hurt Man City. Koeman's Everton also had the measure of Man City in their away game at the start of the season.

Man Utd and Chelsea need to play with the right attitude to give any of us a chance against Man City.

Conte's Chelsea played their away game against Man City without a forward on the pitch - that's a ****ing surrender monkey attitude and was only going to end with a Man City win. Chelsea's performances gifted Man City 6 points this season, in contrast his team threw the kitchen sink at us in the game at Anfield and robbed us of 2 points.

Mourinho's negative tactics cost Man Utd in the derby game at Old Trafford. In the away games against Man City and Liverpool his team demonstrated that they can play to win when the mood takes them.

If the big teams stand up to the challenge of Man City then there is a better chance of us getting closer to them as a group and as we saw last week the additional pressure can change the dynamic of their team.

When the teams with the resources to do so don't make the effort to get at Man City then the other teams in the league will just roll over as we have seen this season and the regular post match sound bite becomes "Our season isn't going to be defined by our result against Man City...".

Another strategy that should be given serious consideration is to give Benitez the resources he needs to affect Newcastle's results against our opponents in a positive manner by loaning them suitable players from the fringes of our squad. Remember when Fabio Borini scored for Sunderland against Chelsea in 2014? It was a pivotal moment in that season and the result meant that Liverpool's title hopes were in their own hands with 4 games to play.
    Please don't ever mention this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Mignolet has one of those ‘we’ll definitely buy him after the loan’ Italian con jobs written all over him.

He could probably drop down to that level and look like a superstar.

We owe Roma for getting Salah on the cheap so loan him there as we buy Alisson off them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mignolet won't be going anywhere. He's happy being on the bench and getting £120k per week. No other team would pay him that money. He will play (sit) out his contract!
    I think your wrong. 
    I don't think Simon is the type to sit on the bench for a wage, I reckon half of the mid table sides oculd upgrade there keeper with Simon and pay him a decent wage,I think he will move on hes already speaking about wanting to be a first choice keeper,
    Infact I think he'll go and be good else where when less of a spot light on him ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

GK - Karius, Mignolet

RB - Clyne, Trent, Gomez
    CB - VVD, New, Lovren, Gomez, Klavan
    LB - Robertson, Moreno

CM - Keita, New, Ox, Henderson, Milner, Gini, Lalllana

Attackers - Salah, Firmino, Mane, New, New

Outs - Matip, Can, Ings, Sturridge, Origi
    Loan - Solanke and if any of the youth are able to step up I'm fine with that, loan them otherwise.

GK - I like the idea of an upgrade but would give Karius the season and spend elsewhere, if Mignolet leaves bring in competition.
    RB - Nothing required, who ever is playing best gets the starting spot.
    CB - I'd sell Matip and sign a CB to upgrade Lovren. Matip just doesn't do it for me and is too injury prone. Gomez is a prospect and he probably needs a few years to get to the level to play CB for us. Klavan can stay for break glass situations.
    LB - Moreno is fine back up to Robertson.
    CM - Sign another to go with Keita. Henderson, Milner, Ox, Gini are all solid and capable of great performances. One of them might want out due to lack of games. Lallana is a luxury if he can get fit at this stage.
    Attackers - Behind our front three isn't a lot, I'd sign two, we're a goal scoring team, lets score more. If one of the two is a very attacking midfielder instead of a someone for the front three I'm ok with that too.

That's four signings, five new players including Keita. Which is a probably close to the limit of new faces you want to bring into your squad and keep it happy and moving in the right direction.

Fromvert wrote: »
    GK - Karius, Mignolet

RB - Clyne, Trent, Gomez
    CB - VVD, New, Lovren, Gomez, Klavan
    LB - Robertson, Moreno

CM - Keita, New, Ox, Henderson, Milner, Gini, Lalllana

Attackers - Salah, Firmino, Mane, New, New

Outs - Matip, Can, Ings, Sturridge, Origi
    Loan - Solanke and if any of the youth are able to step up I'm fine with that, loan them otherwise.

GK - I like the idea of an upgrade but would give Karius the season and spend elsewhere, if Mignolet leaves bring in competition.
    RB - Nothing required, who ever is playing best gets the starting spot.
    CB - I'd sell Matip and sign a CB to upgrade Lovren. Matip just doesn't do it for me and is too injury prone. Gomez is a prospect and he probably needs a few years to get to the level to play CB for us. Klavan can stay for break glass situations.
    LB - Moreno is fine back up to Robertson.
    CM - Sign another to go with Keita. Henderson, Milner, Ox, Gini are all solid and capable of great performances. One of them might want out due to lack of games. Lallana is a luxury if he can get fit at this stage.
    Attackers - Behind our front three isn't a lot, I'd sign two, we're a goal scoring team, lets score more. If one of the two is a very attacking midfielder instead of a someone for the front three I'm ok with that too.

That's four signings, five new players including Keita. Which is a probably close to the limit of new faces you want to bring into your squad and keep it happy and moving in the right direction.
    I thinks Simon and Moreno will want to leave , I can see both wanting more game time,
    Also Studge, Ings are gone,

Mr.H wrote: »
    Is de frig still possible?
    De Vrij? It was reported last month that he has an agreement to join Inter at the end of the season.
    Has groetzka confirmed Bayern yet? He will go there but would have been ideal for us. Maybe Meyer?
    Schalke's sporting director, Christian Heidel, broke the news that Goretzka was joining Bayern in January. Last month he said that Max Meyer was also holding out for a contract offer from Bayern.

With at least 7 games left Salah has outscored the career best of: Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Rooney, Aguero, van Basten, Shearer, Fowler, Eto'o, Trezeguet, van Persie, del Piero, Müller, Crespo, Batistuta, Totti and Drogba

He's level with Henry's best season, 3 away from beating Zlatan's best season. And he's doing this whilst being supported by a right-back that's either a 20 year old CB or a 19 year old midfielder playing out of position. And he's only scored 1 penalty. The guy is a phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still wouldn’t get into a combined 11 though.

• Advertisement

Jaysus I thought a Mod was going on a mad telling off there for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be surprised if Klopp was able to get any of the higher profile German national team names, when even the kids are all holding out for FC Hollywood it's a rum do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr.H wrote: »
    Is de frig still possible?

The greatest defender who never existed, sounds like an awesome PES fake name.
    Talisman wrote: »
    Schalke's sporting director, Christian Heidel, broke the news that Goretzka was joining Bayern in January. Last month he said that Max Meyer was also holding out for a contract offer from Bayern.

Bayern haven't fair killed the Bundesliga team in second are losing 2 of their best players to them on a free :rolleyes:

Red Bull might be open to poaching some players if the fail to get CL football next season they may even lose out of EL as well.

Salzburg rather than Leipzig might the club to check over.

If Martial is leaving Man U in the summer I would seriously love to see us put a bid in for him.

I doubt they would sell him to us however he would be the ideal player to join in with our front three a £60m bid might just tempt them.

• Advertisement

More mad Bobby stats
    @iammoallim Roberto Firmino is the only player in the Premier League this season to win 60+ tackles and create 50+ chances.

62 tackles won ��

53 chances created ✨

Get you a No.9 that can do both.

-- Squawka Football

Still we can do better........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

CB/(D)CM/WF in with Keita this summer and we'll probably have the best squad we've had in a long time.....

I wouldn't let a lot of players go either but there are a few I wouldn't be too disappointed to see leave.

I'd be surprised if Klopp was able to get any of the higher profile German national team names, when even the kids are all holding out for FC Hollywood it's a rum do.
    Yeah, Bayern get to cherry pick the German talent.

Julian Brandt turned down the move to Liverpool last summer which resulted in Salah being signed. He said that he didn't want to move abroad the season before the World Cup because he didn't want to risk his place in the national squad. Afterwards it emerged that his agent (his father) had been talking to Bayern about a move in the summer of 2018. Brandt has a contract clause that activates this summer which will allow him to leave for €12.5M, Leverkusen have tried to renegotiate to remove the clause but it hasn't happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still we can do better........

If only he could score 20 plus goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

NukaCola wrote: »
    CB/(D)CM/WF in with Keita this summer and we'll probably have the best squad we've had in a long time.....

I wouldn't let a lot of players go either but there are a few I wouldn't be too disappointed to see leave.

For sure it will be an interesting summer, keita plus the three positions you mentioned would be a cracking summer and not a massive influx like we've seen before. Few players probably need to make decisions on their anfield careers as well namely ings/moreno/sturridge and origi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FitzShane wrote: »
    Da6ATRdX4AA02RK.jpg:large

It's a bit surprising that we've conceded less than United in that table. I thought they were good at defending and Liverpool were shaky at the back?

NukaCola wrote: »

I think there will also be a left back signed to provide a solid backup for Robertson. It wouldn't surprise me to see Klopp try to sign the likes of Erik Pieters from Stoke - he's 29/30, a Dutch international, knows the league and won't cost a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Why October 23rd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Why October 23rd?

We got hockied by Spurs the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

With at least 7 games left Salah has outscored the career best of: Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Rooney, Aguero, van Basten, Shearer, Fowler, Eto'o, Trezeguet, van Persie, del Piero, Müller, Crespo, Batistuta, Totti and Drogba

He's level with Henry's best season, 3 away from beating Zlatan's best season. And he's doing this whilst being supported by a right-back that's either a 20 year old CB or a 19 year old midfielder playing out of position. And he's only scored 1 penalty. The guy is a phenomenon.

And only one hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Jaysus I thought a Mod was going on a mad telling off there for a second.

In here? Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Any word on the lovren injury we really need him now.

Any ideas who we are likely to have been scouting at the Benfica v Porto game?

Benfica:
    Varela, Almeida, Dias, Jardel, Grimaldo, Fejsa, Zivkovic, Pizzi, Silva, Cervi, Jimenez
    Subs:
    Silvar, Eliseu, Luisao, Carvalho, Samaris, Salvio, Seferovic

Porto:
    Casillas, Pereira, Felipe, Marcano, Telles, Herrera, Oliveira, Marega, Otavio, Brahimi, Tiquinho
    Subs:
    Alves, Pereira, Reyes, Torres, Aboubakar, Corona, Hernani

https://twitter.com/TiagoEstv/status/985550484458045441

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Talisman wrote: »
    Any ideas who we are likely to have been scouting at the Benfica v Porto game?

Benfica:
    Varela, Almeida, Dias, Jardel, Grimaldo, Fejsa, Zivkovic, Pizzi, Silva, Cervi, Jimenez
    Subs:
    Silvar, Eliseu, Luisao, Carvalho, Samaris, Salvio, Seferovic

Porto:
    Casillas, Pereira, Felipe, Marcano, Telles, Herrera, Oliveira, Marega, Otavio, Brahimi, Tiquinho
    Subs:
    Alves, Pereira, Reyes, Torres, Aboubakar, Corona, Hernani

https://twitter.com/TiagoEstv/status/985550484458045441

Dunno, probably only there cos Southampton were too. Buy before them and save £20/40/60million

• Advertisement

The two main clubs in Portugal playing I'm surprised there isn't more club scouts from around Europe at the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

how has Zivkovic been playing this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

These are too good:

https://streamable.com/xst14

how has Zivkovic been playing this season?
    I haven't seen any of the Portuguese league this season but he was on the bench for both the games against Man Utd in the Champions League. I remember the commentator mentioned that he had created the only goal they had scored in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Vicxas wrote: »
    These are too good:

https://streamable.com/xst14

Christ, made by a 15 year old, I reckon.

mosstin wrote: »
    Christ, made by a 5 year old, I reckon.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Capture7765.jpg

New kit for 2018/19
    Going back to basics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Capture7765.jpg

New kit for 2018/19
    Going back to basics

Mmmm Kathy Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Don't really get the appeal for so many bundesliga players running down their contracts to join Bayern. Fair enough they'll be getting more money but you can pretty much predict their season before it starts.. walk the league and Semi final in CL.. doesn't seem like a challenge.. the bundesliga is a great league with great fans but walking it every year with your rivals players loses it's prestige for me.. don't see why players are so eager to join there when they've other top clubs with a bigger challenge for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Don't really get the appeal for so many bundesliga players running down their contracts to join Bayern. Fair enough they'll be getting more money but you can pretty much predict their season before it starts.. walk the league and Semi final in CL.. doesn't seem like a challenge.. the bundesliga is a great league with great fans but walking it every year with your rivals players loses it's prestige for me.. don't see why players are so eager to join there when they've other top clubs with a bigger challenge for them

Yeah, at this stage it's become a more interesting league to look at from 2nd downwards.
    (as is England this season of course - but at least in the EPL it probably won't be a permanent issue, given that no-one has been able to defend their title over the past ten years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Capture7765.jpg

New kit for 2018/19
    Going back to basics

Razor won't be happy they stole his jersey :pac:

Swiss Ramble.
    English clubs Champions League 2017/18 revenue: #LFC €66m, #CFC €64m, #MCFC €62m, #THFC €60m & #MUFC €39m. Celtic get €32m, as Scottish clubs get 10% of UK TV pool if qualify for Group Stage. As #MUFC qualified via Europa League, get nothing from first half of TV pool.
    If #LFC win the Champions League, they would receive €83m. Sum restricted by 1st half of TV pool (10% for finishing 4th in previous season’s PL). Some small reductions in other English clubs, as #LFC share of 2nd half of TV pool (based on number of games played) would increase.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/986147504965156864

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Any word on the lovren injury we really need him now.

That's a big problem, if we lose him as well, will mean VVD and Klavan for rest of the season. But at least we HAVE 5 CBs to choose from, otherwise we'd be playing Trent there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Swiss Ramble.

We know money isn't everything, particularly when United's commercial income is £150M more than us! But it helps.

And you watch the contract re-negotiations being kicked off this summer with StanChar and New Balance, with our greatly improved profile this season. The New Balance deal runs out this summer IIRC, so they can court Nike, Adidas, etc for way more than the £50M a year they are currently getting. And the SC deal runs out next summer.

Strike while the iron is hot!

Within Germany, playing for Bayern is seen as the pinnacle for German players - they reputedly only recruit the best talent. When you play for the club you are made and are virtually untouchable in the German media, the only media stories that get out are the ones the club wants. Bayern is a mafia family with the convicted tax dodger, Uli Hoeness, at its head. They sell the 'family' image very well and the German public buy it.

It could be argued that the club is a cancer on the Bundesliga. Their transfer policy weakens their domestic rivals which in turn weakens the standard of the league and this is reflected in the European performances of the German clubs. This season, Bayern was the only German team to reach the last 16 of the Champions League. Dortmund and RB Leipzig both went to the last 32 of the Europa League where they were the only representatives of the Bundesliga - Hoffenheim, Hertha Berlin and Koln had all been eliminated.

Bayern doesn't care because it leaves them as the sole champion of German football in the European competitions and this in turn helps to feed the image of them being the club of the German people.

RB Leipzig are hated primarily because their success is due to financial backing from a massive conglomerate, but this also makes them the biggest domestic threat to Bayern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But, but, but...they sell beer in the stadiums :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But, but, but...they sell beer in the stadiums :rolleyes:

.... gluhwein in winter ...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good post in the UCL thread that lays bare how **** they've been this year:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057754076&page=69
    Fromvert wrote: »
    Is the Bundesliga particularly awful this year and are Bayern actually a team to fear? Outside of Bayern the other German teams have stunk up Europe. The seven qualifiers for Europe are below, where they finished last year, where they are now and how Europe went for them.

1st (1st) - Bayern - In the semis.
    2nd (6th) - Red Bull - Finished behind Porto and Besiktas (lost 5-0 and 8-1 to Liverpool and Bayern in the last 16) which doesn't scream finishing behind quality. Went out to Marseille in the quarter finals of EL.
    3rd (3rd) -Dortmund - 2 pts in their group against APOEL! Get dumped out by RB Salzburg in the last 16 of EL.
    4th (7th) Hoffenheim - Knocked out by Liverpool in the CL qualifiers, come bottom of their group in the EL.
    5th (18th) - Koln - Third in their EL group and out
    6th (11th) - Hertha - Bottom their EL group and out
    7th (15th) - Freiburg - Knocked out in EL by Domzale in qualifying (had to google them, they're Slovenian)

Bayern finished behind PSG and ahead of Celtic and Anderlecht, beat Besiktas and Sevilla in the knockout stages. They're running away with the Bundesliga (the teams they're beating seem to be terrible when compared to their European counterparts). I think Real roll them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Worth spending most of that CL money on Martial? Can play across the front 3 and pace!

Rotate the 4 into 3 places like we did this year but now with added central options and also added RW options (Mane + Salah as opposed to just one) Coutinho could only cover LW really but Martial can cover LW & CF, same with Firmino, Mane has LW & RW and Salah has RW and through the middle sometimes as a partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

FitzShane wrote: »
    Worth spending most of that CL money on Martial? Can play across the front 3 and pace!

Rotate the 4 into 3 places like we did this year but now with added central options and also added RW options (Mane + Salah as opposed to just one) Coutinho could only cover LW really but Martial can cover LW & CF, same with Firmino, Mane has LW & RW and Salah has RW and through the middle sometimes as a partner.
    They’d never sell to us regardless, so not really even worth thinking about.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement