Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

murpho999 wrote: »
    Salah’s selfishness is required to attain the amount of goals he has scored but his eleven assists this season also show that he is a team player.

I don’t see how he can be criticised in any way, apart from maybe needing a haircut!

The way he beautifully cushioned that header against Bournemouth suggests that barnet is perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Salah’s selfishness is required to attain the amount of goals he has scored but his eleven assists this season also show that he is a team player.

I don’t see how he can be criticised in any way, apart from maybe needing a haircut!
    It is to an point,  But its clear the last two games he has not been himself and over thinking and trying to force it a little, ,  I think since he has now equalled the record it'll take pressure off ,He can get back to playing his normal game and at least one gaol will come his way,

It is to an point,  But its clear the last two games he has not been himself.............

In one of those games he was told to stroll around and not to risk aggravating whatever he left the field for in the City game.

He might well not be himself as he's not quite 100% fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It is to an point,  But its clear the last two games he has not been himself and over thinking and trying to force it a little, ,  I think since he has now equalled the record it'll take pressure off ,He can get back to playing his normal game and at least one gaol will come his way,

He scored a goal on Saturday so how can you criticize that?

Also, a couple of times he tried to lay off to Mane.

He gave us a two goal lead and then the makeshift defence messed up which is our bigger issue than Salah trying to score goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah Salah needs to stop scoring goals and we'll see win more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Salah's also got 9 assists in the league, which is tied for 5th most I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Salah has also gone the full season so far without a booking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Salah has scored as many goals for Liverpool as Danny wellbeck has PL goals since his debut 10 years ago.

He scored a goal on Saturday so how can you criticize that?

Also, a couple of times he tried to lay off to Mane.

He gave us a two goal lead and then the makeshift defence messed up which is our bigger issue than Salah trying to score goals.
    Not really getting at him ,but its pretty obvious that a few times in the last two games he hasn't released the ball as quickly., I also noticed hes been reluctant to give it to the forward man and instead been going back wards or side ways so he can get into the box,
    Again I'm a huge huge fan of his but it would be silly to say it hasn't effect him it clearly has,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Anyone even thinking about criticizing Salah in any way needs to fúck off. End of sorry. No ifs. No buts. No nothing.

Just fúck off.

We brought in as a winger.
    He was sent packing by Mourinho at Chelsea.
    Everyone said he'd be a flop when we brought him in.
    Everyone said he had to get used to English football.
    Everyone said he couldn't finish.

If you're then criticising him for 40 goals and 11 assists because he's too selfish, you need to just fúck off.
    No excuse.
    You're just acting the absolute d.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I love him too, Slick, but maybe a bit of yoga breathing or something, there!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Wait until people criticize Salah next season if he 'only' scores 20 goals or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

corwill wrote: »
    I love him too, Slick, but maybe a bit of yoga breathing or something, there!

i agree. and i'm not as worked up as that post seems.

but it's one of my biggest pet peeves when a player gets criticised for the smallest of things, and sometimes it's something that's not even really there. and journalists or fans innocently use the line of 'well, i'm only posing the question'.

no you're not. you're just picking holes for the sake of being contrary. there's nothing smart about asking a stupid question like, 'could Salah be a bit less selfish?'

Messi is superb, but could he use his head a bit more? Um, fúck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Liverpool vs Napoli confirmed by Liverpool today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Saying a player made a mistake isn't criticising them unfairly.

Players don't only have a good game if they do everything 100% right.

Ideally I'd like every player to always make the correct decision. The name of the game is to get Liverpool to win things, not Mo Salah.

I don't think anyone on here does anything other than worship the man, so I don't see the need to pussyfoot around his performances.

Not that there's been anything particularly wrong with them. It's easy to apply narratives to football that don't necessarily belong. It's hard to see the long view of football, where you can put, for example, Salah appearing to take more difficult shots on when another player is in a better position, into context and compare it to how he's behaved throughout the season. It's quite possible that assumptions are being made about Salah "snatching at" chances or not getting his head up when a player was in a better position, that aren't actually true, and he just made ordinary mistakes of the sort that he's made in the past, and all forwards are wont to make from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    Wait until people criticize Salah next season if he 'only' scores 20 goals or something.

TBF it could happen as he will have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

we're signing Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's all Moreno's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

gimli2112 wrote: »
    we're signing Ronaldo?

Squaddie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Not really getting at him ,but its pretty obvious that a few times in the last two games he hasn't released the ball as quickly., I also noticed hes been reluctant to give it to the forward man and instead been going back wards or side ways so he can get into the box,
    Again I'm a huge huge fan of his but it would be silly to say it hasn't effect him it clearly has,

Totally disagree, watched the game on Saturday and noticed a few times that he passed to Mane.

Other times he tried to beat his man as that is what he has been brilliant at.

Then he scored, so how can you complain about that?

I think the records have only had a positive effect on him.

I do wonder what people see in games sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

gimli2112 wrote: »
    we're signing Ronaldo?

A great way to sign off on the "Bring Ronnie home" campaign.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

SlickRic wrote: »
    Anyone even thinking about criticizing Salah in any way needs to fúck off. End of sorry. No ifs. No buts. No nothing.

Just fúck off.

We brought in as a winger.
    He was sent packing by Mourinho at Chelsea.
    Everyone said he'd be a flop when we brought him in.
    Everyone said he had to get used to English football.
    Everyone said he couldn't finish.

If you're then criticising him for 40 goals and 11 assists because he's too selfish, you need to just fúck off.
    No excuse.
    You're just acting the absolute d.

41 goals hes on now man..... 41....... get it right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It looks like Liverpool v Stoke is live on Sky One on Saturday, for some reason. (ie not Sky Sports, it's on the one with The Simpsons and all that)

Totally disagree, watched the game on Saturday and noticed a few times that he passed to Mane.

Other times he tried to beat his man as that is what he has been brilliant at.

Then he scored, so how can you complain about that?

I think the records have only had a positive effect on him.

I do wonder what people see in games sometimes.
    I'm not complaining at all about him  but I think its obvious that it has effected how he is playing ,there's nothing wrong with saying that ,He seems to be forcing things it started last weekend and I feel continued to this weekends game,
    Also just cause someone score's mean **** all ,
    I love the chap but just something iv noticed in the last two games,

Skid X wrote: »
    It looks like Liverpool v Stoke is live on Sky One on Saturday, for some reason. (ie not Sky Sports, it's on the one with The Simpsons and all that)

Probably part of some promotional tactic I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Salah has been 10 per cent off his usual self and anyone with a brain knows why, doesn't mean he has turned to Sturridge or that anyone who points tis out is a raging bastard cad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

It genuinely doesn't make sense that Kane can be up for YPOTY and not win it, but be in the top 3 for POTY when Sane isn't.
    Maybe because no one voted for him in the YPOTY category because he is 24/25!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Salah has been 10 per cent off his usual self and anyone with a brain knows why, doesn't mean he has turned to Sturridge or that anyone who points tis out is a raging bastard cad.

Agreed, come on lads, it's OK to say he hasn't been quite his ruthless efficient self in the last couple of games.

Thought he still scores!!

I still fear Kane will bang in a four goal salvo against some no hopers tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Spurs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Salah had one clear cut chance saturday & calmly chipped the keeper.

Have no idea where some of this he is off his best stuff is coming from.

He isn't a robot he will make some errors in the final third with passes etc.

• Advertisement

Salah has been 10 per cent off his usual self and anyone with a brain knows why............

The bit of injury?

Surely the Kane stuff isn't featuring in folks' views?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sure Sadio Mané has comfortably outscored himself in goals and assists since last season when he was our Player of the Year and people criticise him this season for not being as good...lazy punditry as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

My only criticism of Salah is I know after playing this well he'll have a lot of interest in the summer when big spending sides come skulking. So it could be tough to keep hold of him even though he told Roma he only wanted to join Liverpool last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That's not a criticism of Salah, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MD1990 wrote: »
    He isn't a robot he will make some errors in the final third with passes etc.

....and has been all season.

It has just become a thing due to the Golden Boot narrative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Let's be fair here. Salah has been a little more greedy in recent weeks. In fact the whole team is to blame. Everyone has been trying to force goals from Salah to help win the golden boot. This has coat us points and easier goals in games in recent weeks.

Now I am confident that top 4 is all but secured. I also don't agree with the Jose ridiculous idea that second actually matters or is an achievement. So I haven't issue with the lads trying to just boost salahs goals and not giving a toss about just getting points on the board. We will get top 4 anyway.

Next season the greed won't continue. It will go back to normal where Salah will help the team rather than the opposite which is now. Mo deserves this so let him have a go at getting Rush's record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Skid X wrote: »

Nice one Skid, you just saved me the usual juggling with dropped streams ;)

Mr.H wrote: »
    Let's be fair here. Salah has been a little more greedy in recent weeks. In fact the whole team is to blame. Everyone has been trying to force goals from Salah to help win the golden boot. This has coat us points and easier goals in games in recent weeks.

Now I am confident that top 4 is all but secured. I also don't agree with the Jose ridiculous idea that second actually matters or is an achievement. So I haven't issue with the lads trying to just boost salahs goals and not giving a toss about just getting points on the board. We will get top 4 anyway.

Next season the greed won't continue. It will go back to normal where Salah will help the team rather than the opposite which is now. Mo deserves this so let him have a go at getting Rush's record.
    This is exactly what iv seen , they at trying hard to get Mo the goals, That's all its a little forced but its understandable with a few games left,
    We wont see it Roma and I don't think we will see it v Chelsea but against the poor teams its like the guys are trying to hard for Salah to be the scorer,
    Again its not a go at him its just an observation of the last two games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Grayditch wrote: »
    That's not a criticism of Salah, surely.

No it was said in jest but I don't believe any player is destined never to leave out of loyalty. Especially with the values of the current market its only realistic.

Mr.H wrote: »

He didn't play against Everton & we were 2-0 up vs West Brom.

Not sure what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

MD1990 wrote: »
    He didn't play against Everton & we were 2-0 up vs West Brom.

Not sure what you are talking about.
    Well obviously his team mates were waiting for him to get on the pitch against Everton. If he had bothered we would have won the game! Worst PFA Player of the Year EVER!

Just looking at PFA teams of the Year from the 70s and 80s. Liverpool didn't have many players in it. Kenny Sansom was in it every year, think he ended up with ten. Dalglish had 5.

8-10 wrote: »
    Sure Sadio Manas comfortably outscored himself in goals and assists since last season when he was our Player of the Year and people criticise him this season for not being as good...lazy punditry as usual

Mane was being criticised a couple of months back for having the touch of someone wearing ski boots at times, and he did. I don't think it is controversial to say that he has performed worse overall this season than last. He has more goals and assists, but more appearances. He may well have a better minutes per goal/assist ratio this season even, but in general play he was a little 'better' in a very subjective way last season in my view. He has recovered well from his wobbly patch and has been an effective member of our attack, but it doesn't mean he wasn't off his best for a couple of months.

Mane was being criticised a couple of months back for having the touch of someone wearing ski boots at times, and he did. I don't think it is controversial to say that he has performed worse overall this season than last. He has more goals and assists, but more appearances. He may well have a better minutes per goal/assist ratio this season even, but in general play he was a little 'better' in a very subjective way last season in my view. He has recovered well from his wobbly patch and has been an effective member of our attack, but it doesn't mean he wasn't off his best for a couple of months.

Poor spell of form it happens.

He has been brillant since his hatrick against Porto.

always remember a journalist saying about Heskey "He can control a ball further than most players can kick it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's easily forgotten that Salah has been thriving in what was Mane's position last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Talking to some friends about how good a season Salah is having and the Salah 17/18 vs Cristiano Ronaldo 07/08 season debate came up. Both are VERY similar!!

Ronaldo's league campaign was played 34, scored 31
    Salah's league campaign so far is played 33, scored 31

Ronaldo's CL campaign was played 11, scored 8
    Salah's CL campaign so far is played 10, scored 8

Ronaldo's CL campaign (knockouts) was played 6, scored 3, including the final
    Salah's CL campaign (knockouts) so far is played 4, scored 3

Ronaldo's league campaign (big games vs top 4 & City) was played 7, scored 3
    Salah's league campaign (big games vs top 6 & Everton) so far is played 10, scored 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ref for tomorrow night

Referee
    Felix Brych (GER) - Same as City game

Assistant referees
    Mark Borsch (GER)
    Stefan Lupp (GER)

Additional assistant referees
    Bastian Dankert (GER)
    Marco Fritz (GER)

Fourth official
    Markus Häcker (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ref for tomorrow night

Referee
    Felix Brych (GER) - Same as City game

Assistant referees
    Mark Borsch (GER)
    Stefan Lupp (GER)

Additional assistant referees
    Bastian Dankert (GER)
    Marco Fritz (GER)

Fourth official
    Markus Her (GER)

Thought it was the lad from the second leg.

Should get a penalty from him so.

• Advertisement

I'm worried this tie will shown us the difference between Karius and a really top class keeper

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement