Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    TAA was very poor last night --- Lovren was even worse. Liverpool will be sitting a bit deeper next leg so both should have more cover but you'd worry for them against Madrid / Bayren

Very poor?

You watched a different game

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TAA was very poor in the game in general. Lovren mistimed his jump for the goal however TAA stood looking at Dzeko after losing him instead of tracking him back and putting him under pressure while jumping.

It wasn't just his jump, Lovren was a couple of yards deeper than the rest of the defence when the ball was played too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

TAA was very poor last night --- Lovren was even worse. Liverpool will be sitting a bit deeper next leg so both should have more cover but you'd worry for them against Madrid / Bayren

All negative.

I'd worry for Madrid or Bayern's defence against us as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

.red. wrote: »
    Henderson was in beast mode last night, ran his nuts off. All the midfield 3 played well but Hendo shaded it for me.
    The front 3 were beyond words, Mane is probably the "weaker" of them and would walk into most starting 11s.
    Karius and Lovren tho, I like both of them but it's tough to enjoy being 3/4/5 up knowing both of them are liable to have a few brain farts.

Last night, Henderson reminded me of the level he played at during the Suarez season. People often forget just how good he was that year. Injuries have left him a lesser player since but he was absolutely top class last night.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'v heard this been mentioned about his performance last night....but what did he do wrong in the game?

Karius was fine last night with the exception of that bloody long range shot he misjudged and parried onto the bar instead of catching.

My nerves did not thank him for that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fúck that. they need to worry about us if we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Lovren will always be Lovrening, unfortunately we don't have much else at cb so he has to play. His random brainfarts could be soul destroying against a Bayern or Real in a possible final.

Hopefully he will keep the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I'v heard this been mentioned about his performance last night....but what did he do wrong in the game?

That shot that he "saved" and pushed onto the bar? That was a very easy save for any keeper and he made a balls of it. Fair enough he kept it out but it was more luck than anything. Showed very weak hands for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

did Salah pull a Zidane turn to go around someone just inside their half when we were 4 or 5-0?
    any close up footage of it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

.red. wrote: »
    That shot that he "saved" and pushed onto the bar? That was a very easy save for any keeper and he made a balls of it. Fair enough he kept it out but it was more luck than anything. Showed very weak hands for it.

I don't think alot of keepers would have saved that. From his perspective, it came out of nowhere. Kolorov and little backlift and got some serious zip on it. Not sure how much it moved either, but that was a fine save.
    I'd like to actually see that one back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Did you not watch the game? Unlike Alisson Becker, Loris Karius didn't make eleventy saves to keep his team in the tie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

A lot of people on reddit - most of them Liverpool fans tbh - felt pretty **** after those 2 goals, including myself but you have to realise that 3 goal deficits are rarely overcome, especially at this stage of the competition.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but after the last round of games in the CL and EL it seems like it's the norm, but it really isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think our major worry should be Saturday,
    We MUST get the 3 points, We are down to the bare bones as a squad,  ijust hope that inujuries don't ruin our season ,
    I feel so bad for OX,
    If Can is not injured like some reports suggest he should be in Klopps office this morning demanding to play Saturday and do his last bit for the club ,

Agree about Henderson. He was superb. Leading by example. He's been great in recent months. Deserves a more credit imo.

5starpool wrote: »
    It wasn't just his jump, Lovren was a couple of yards deeper than the rest of the defence when the ball was played too.
    It wasn't just Lovren, Alexander-Arnold also dropped back alongside him and he didn't show any defensive awareness when Lovren misjudged the flight of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Salah & Firmino have scored in every single round of the CL so far this season - Qualifier, Group Stage, Last 16, Quarter Final, Semi Final & (hopefully final).

I could be wrong here, but I think the only players to have done it before are Ronaldo & Messi once each before. Ronaldo can do it again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Some people getting too far ahead of themselves. Enjoy the moment. If you told me at the start of the season that we would have a 3 goal lead going into the 2nd leg of the Champions League semi final, i would bite your hand off. We also have top 4 secured. The team is not perfect but they're still amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Notification on the phone there that Messi has demanded that Barca sign Salah, is he looking to retire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

Thud wrote: »
    did Salah pull a Zidane turn to go around someone just inside their half when we were 4 or 5-0?
    any close up footage of it?

Do you mean this

https://twitter.com/LFCFansCorner/status/988897626505572352

Liverpool are now within three CL goals this season of Everton's PL total in 2017-18.

Might be the best stat ever.

• Advertisement

Notification on the phone there that Messi has demanded that Barca sign Salah, is he looking to retire

Notification from who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Notification from who?

It’s the Star and the Express quoting Don Balon, pay no notice to it whatsoever and enjoy the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lovren can look bulletproof in games where we're set and the structure is in place around him.

I think there's a pretty select group of CBs around the world who can play the isolated defensive game under huge pressure on and off the ball.

Lovren is without a shadow of a doubt a good CB. Big, strong, quick, good tackler, pretty good on the ball, good reader of the game. There's another layer of your Sergio Ramos', Piqués, Hummels', and seemingly, Van Dijks, who are totally relaxed and sure of themselves in almost any situation. They're happy throwing out the playbook and improvising, because they have the level of footballing ability to get out of most situations. They're not even all as proficient physically or technically from a defensive point of view, but as footballers they're a cut above.

We're asking Lovren to do that and we're going to have to either replace him, or accept a few cock ups every now and again.
    Thankfully, the **** hit the fan last night, when we were 5-0 up, and not at another stage.

If we approach the Roma away game the same as the City away game, I don't think he or the rest of our defence will have the same problems.
    This crowd are not City. Granted, they're a bit more physical, but we can match that at CB. We should be able to keep them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Hey guys I said I'd post this in your thread as if I did so in the champions league thread I would probably be lambasted by fans of different premier league clubs. I think Salah is the best player in the world right now and deserves the world player of the year award after this season. I also think that he can only get better and I don't think that success will get to him as he comes across as a very humble guy. What do you think? p.s I'm a half hearted Chelsea fan and a die hard Bético.

We need to win on Saturday its so so so important, Then game away to Chelsea wont really matter as we would only need a draw to Brighton last day for top four, Saturday is now our most important game of the season ,
    We also need to wrap out Hendo, Mili, and Gini in cotton wool

Notification from who?

one of the football apps on the phone that i have, Score 365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

The second leg for Roma against barca was amazing for them but it was a massive surprise, Liverpool will be extremely wary of such an event and I think klopp will set the team out to go hell for leather for the first 20 to try score and essentially settle the tie. That and I believe Roma ace in the hole for the second leg v barca was their same set up they used last night.

Liverpool players will need to be aware of the Roma players diving and trying to con the ref next week, they did the same V Barca trying to win pens and bring out cards early on in the game. There needs to be a strong ref appointed by UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hey guys I said I'd post this in your thread as if I did so in the champions league thread I would probably be lambasted by fans of different premier league clubs. I think Salah is the best player in the world right now and deserves the world player of the year award after this season. I also think that he can only get better and I don't think that success will get to him as he comes across as a very humble guy. What do you think? p.s I'm a half hearted Chelsea fan and a die hard Bco.

There's still part of me that thinks "He can't be this good" but he's been so consistent throughout the season, although lots of people only started noticing once he scored four against Watford not that long ago. Two weeks ago there was still a loud cry for KDB for POTY and now there's talk of Mo for the Balon D'Or. It's great, he's great, it's all great.

I think the system at Liverpool suits him but he's having by far his most productive season ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Agree about Henderson. He was superb. Leading by example. He's been great in recent months. Deserves a more credit imo.

People love to dismiss him as he's not the most technically gifted player (he's still an absolute baller, but even I'd admit Wilshere has more 'talent' than him) but he's the man you want as captain of your team imo. Milner's been outstanding this season, but at 32 he won't be around much longer.

A midfield 3 of Henderson, Keita and Ox in years to come would be really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

one of the football apps on the phone that i have, Score 365

Gonna stop you right there ...

No doubt about it Mo is putting himself in a big window for all the world to see and I doubt he will hang around forever. Hard to see him upping sticks and just f**king off after 1 season. No matter how much money is thrown at him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

GBX wrote: »
    Gonna stop you right there ...

No doubt about it Mo is putting himself in a big window for all the world to see and I doubt he will hang around forever. Hard to see him upping sticks and just f**king off after 1 season. No matter how much money is thrown at him.

Liverpool simply wouldn't let him, anyway.

People love to dismiss him as he's not the most technically gifted player.........

He's a very good egg :)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Boom_Bap wrote:
    I don't think alot of keepers would have saved that. From his perspective, it came out of nowhere. Kolorov and little backlift and got some serious zip on it. Not sure how much it moved either, but that was a fine save. I'd like to actually see that one back

Any keeper from Sunday league up leaves that in and it's an absolute howler and nothing else. Karius did fine for rest of the game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Interesting - Oddschecker has Liverpool now as favourites for the CL at 8/5 - presumably the odds will shift back to one of the other two after tonight's game.

Just reading through the posts and having calmed down after last night, we need to give the doom-saying a bit of a break - we are in a leading position, yes we have no lee-way left for injuries and Stoke are fighting for survival so that will be a very difficult game with no scope of picking up more injuries, but the positives far out weigh the negatives.

It's easy to focus on where individuals had below par moments, or mistakes, but overall it was a great, and at times perfect, performance. TAA had some dodgy passes and didn't always cover the big lad like he should, but he got the ball perfectly to Salah from the back for him to set up both of Bobby's goals. Lovren mis-timed his jump, but he had some great clearances, won a lot of aerial battles and he was overall solid with a glaring error that cost us a goal. I wanted Ox to start over Gini and was despondent when he had to come on and then he played an absolute stormer...

Time to move on - we're 3 goals up going to Rome with a team we all know will score. There'll be absolutely no complacency, there'll be 100% commitment and we are in control of earning a deserved place in the CL final as the only unbeaten, highest scoring team in the competition.

YNWA

the other thing about this run, and the brilliance of that front 3, is how fúcking desperate the media, and particularly rivals fans are, to tell us that Mo is going to get pilfered after one season.

fúck right off.

again, anything in an attempt to put us 'back in our place'.

I'm fully aware the lad probably has aspirations to play for Real Madrid or Barca. I'm not dumb. but good Christ, the lad has just had the most sensational season of his life, and arguably, on an individual level, the most sensational season in the history of the Premier League. he can't but be loving life, and there is zero logic in him leaving this summer. it's just the rags being fúcking obvious about a form player, and opposition fans fúcking begging for it to be true.

he ain't leaving. sorry. he'll be given the most bumper pay rise you've ever seen, and he'll be terrorising everyone again next season.

so you can all get tha fúck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Any keeper from Sunday league up leaves that in and it's an absolute howler and nothing else. Karius did fine for rest of the game though.

Found it

When the ball passes Gini's arm, the direction of the ball changes. before it reaches Karius it changes again and dips.
    If you watch the angle at the 13 second mark....remember, this is slo-mo, the ball is struck and saved in a second, real time it's alot faster than that.
    I even remember the commentators surprised the ball hit the bar as the shot came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

SlickRic wrote: »
    Fúckin' bouncing today.

Do not underestimate what you saw last night for a second. I've already heard numerous times how shít Roma are, a mere 24 hours after so many told me not to take them lightly. fúck off. make up your mind.

the high line was suicidal, but only once the press stopped. people are forgetting that for 20 minutes, Roma actually played really well, and the tactics worked. the reality is that Firmino started finding space. Salah was holding off 2 defenders at a time. Hendo started bossing Nainggolan. and that was that. yes, Roma probably should've dropped off once they were being overrun, but I'm sorry - Liverpool adjusted, got a foothold, and battered them.

absolutely fúcking battered them.

it amuses me how fúcking petrified some opposition fans are that we'll actually win it. they'll cling to anything. a 3 goal advantage in the semi final is ludicrous, yet you've some trying to convince us that it was almost a bad result?!?! fúck me.

you've others tell us how shít the quality of the Champions League is this year. I mean, FFS. is your team in the semis? No? Well, fúck off then.
    you'll literally say anything now to try and tell yourself that Liverpool aren't really that great.

revel in this lads. it's glorious.
    games that really matter at the end of April.
    games that could mean history.
    games that you can tell friends and family about for years to come.

a 6th European Cup?

it's on.

Thank you - This is just what I needed this morning

Spirits have been lifted!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Boom_Bap wrote:
    When the ball passes Gini's arm, the direction of the ball changes. before it reaches Karius it changes again and dips. If you watch the angle at the 13 second mark....remember, this is slo-mo, the ball is struck and saved in a second, real time it's alot faster than that. I even remember the commentators surprised the ball hit the bar as the shot came out of nowhere.

Hmm I agree shot is faster than I remembered. At the end of the day ball stayed out of the net and I was happy with the rest of his performance

Found it

When the ball passes Gini's arm, the direction of the ball changes. before it reaches Karius it changes again and dips.
    If you watch the angle at the 13 second mark....remember, this is slo-mo, the ball is struck and saved in a second, real time it's alot faster than that.
    I even remember the commentators surprised the ball hit the bar as the shot came out of nowhere.
    Karius is an accident waiting to happen every single game there are moment of unease with him that people try find a way to dismiss as not his fault, Himself and Lovren are our weakest links ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Look at these numbers, not 1 but 3 world class forwards. 3 players I could never imagined recording these figures. If Mane could improve his finishing he could definitely have another 10 goals.

Mo Salah-
    ⚽️ 43 goals
    🅰️ 13 assists

Roberto Firmino-
    ⚽️ 27 goals
    🅰️ 15 assists

Sadio Mane-
    ⚽️ 18 goals
    🅰️ 9 assists

Winning the CL would the ultimate recognition for them and Klopp.

How ****ing lucky are we to have Klopp.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    Lovren can look bulletproof in games where we're set and the structure is in place around him.

I think there's a pretty select group of CBs around the world who can play the isolated defensive game under huge pressure on and off the ball.

Lovren is without a shadow of a doubt a good CB. Big, strong, quick, good tackler, pretty good on the ball, good reader of the game. There's another layer of your Sergio Ramos', Piqués, Hummels', and seemingly, Van Dijks, who are totally relaxed and sure of themselves in almost any situation. They're happy throwing out the playbook and improvising, because they have the level of footballing ability to get out of most situations. They're not even all as proficient physically or technically from a defensive point of view, but as footballers they're a cut above.

We're asking Lovren to do that and we're going to have to either replace him, or accept a few cock ups every now and again.
    Thankfully, the **** hit the fan last night, when we were 5-0 up, and not at another stage.

If we approach the Roma away game the same as the City away game, I don't think he or the rest of our defence will have the same problems.
    This crowd are not City. Granted, they're a bit more physical, but we can match that at CB. We should be able to keep them out.
    Lovern ****s his pants,
    He should have kept a high line against WBA last weekend but dropped deep to keep Rondon on side and what three days later does the exact same thing for there first goal,
     He has all the tolls to be a world beater but he ****s the bed under pressure,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Arrah, the ****ing two goals and the nature of them really did spoil last night for me. Can't help it - in my nature. We were glorious for 60 mins or so and it was utterly electric, but I hate the fact that the tie was done and dusted in my mind but now is back as a going concern - even if we're rightly heavy favourites to progress.

Just hard to get past that first goal. So ****ing silly.

klose wrote: »
    The second leg for Roma against barca was amazing for them but it was a massive surprise, Liverpool will be extremely wary of such an event and I think klopp will set the team out to go hell for leather for the first 20 to try score and essentially settle the tie. That and I believe Roma ace in the hole for the second leg v barca was their same set up they used last night.
    The Roma v Barcelona game began much like the game last night. Barca had scoring opportunities in the first five minutes but didn't take them. Once Dzeko scored the first goal, Roma's game plan was to disrupt Barcelona and prevent them getting any momentum. They tried the same thing last night and were assisted by the referee for a while. In one incident, Van Dijk claimed the ball and had to shift his feet to avoid colliding with Henderson. He landed on Nainggolan's foot and it was judged to be a foul. A couple of minutes later Jesus slipped and took out Salah, some how that wasn't a foul but it was the same treatment that Barcelona players received in the previous game.
    Liverpool players will need to be aware of the Roma players diving and trying to con the ref next week, they did the same V Barca trying to win pens and bring out cards early on in the game. There needs to be a strong ref appointed by UEFA.
    They were at it last night too - Kolarov 'lost his footing' a few times when he made it to the 18 yard box. Lovren got away with a kick on Under at the edge of the 18 yard box very early on. Had it been any other Roma player there would have been some crumpling and a penalty decision for the referee.

One away goal lads, tie is over.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

One away goal lads, tie is over.

3 to be sure ;)

Talisman wrote: »
    klose wrote: »
    The Roma v Barcelona game began much like the game last night. Barca had scoring opportunities in the first five minutes but didn't take them. Once Dzeko scored the first goal, Roma's game plan was to disrupt Barcelona and prevent them getting any momentum. They tried the same thing last night and were assisted by the referee for a while. In one incident, Van Dijk claimed the ball and had to shift his feet to avoid colliding with Henderson. He landed on Nainggolan's foot and it was judged to be a foul. A couple of minutes later Jesus slipped and took out Salah, some how that wasn't a foul but it was the same treatment that Barcelona players received in the previous game.
    They were at it last night too - Kolarov 'lost his footing' a few times when he made it to the 18 yard box. Lovren got away with a kick on Under at the edge of the 18 yard box very early on. Had it been any other Roma player there would have been some crumpling and a penalty decision for the referee.
    I like your thinking ,You'd think now they had that night we will be aware of what is possible if we are not at it, Also I hope we learned from City and take no chances at the back early on like the one that lead to Jesus goal ,
    I still find it mental how Roma set up last night , they pressed way to high and got killed much like City did,
    Am I right in saying that the exact way the set up home to Barca ? maybe that result done us a favour and got them over confident,

I also think our guys all over the pitch are faster than Barca, Not as good on the ball but physically quicker running
    Salah, Mane, Trent ,Robertson ,Gini and Hendo can all move rapid so it makes it hard for Roma to play dirty as that split second make a hard fair tackle and yellow card and free to us ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I feel worse about the "penalty" than the Lovren goal.
    In no way is that deliberate handball.

I think people should be more upset about that than someone mistiming a jump which has happened before against Spurs. It happens to people.

The penalty on the other hand should not have been given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't really get the whole "Miller is 32 now" malarkey!
    Yes he's 32, but he's also one of the most professional footballers your gonna meet, he's fitter than most 25yo footballers.
    The guy has another 2 seasons, maybe 3 where he's capable of playing 40 games a season.
    Giggs was a similar professional (with his fitness and body anyway) and played till he was 40? He was still a top player at 35.

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    I feel worse about the "penalty" than the Lovren goal.
    In no way is that deliberate handball.
    I'm convinced the ref doesn't give that if the game is tight  ,, at 5-1 he thought oh why not

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement