Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

.red. wrote: »
    I don't really get the whole "Miller is 32 now" malarkey!
    Yes he's 32, but he's also one of the most professional footballers your gonna meet, he's fitter than most 25yo footballers.
    The guy has another 2 seasons, maybe 3 where he's capable of playing 40 games a season.
    Giggs was a similar professional (with his fitness and body anyway) and played till he was 40? He was still a top player at 35.
    Its gas people on here yesterday saying De Rossi was still world class at 34 and hadn't slowed down,
    Oh on De Rossi he called us a long ball team today haha, I bet getting spanked hurts ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

SlickRic wrote: »
    the other thing about this run, and the brilliance of that front 3, is how fúcking desperate the media, and particularly rivals fans are, to tell us that Mo is going to get pilfered after one season.

fúck right off.

again, anything in an attempt to put us 'back in our place'.

I'm fully aware the lad probably has aspirations to play for Real Madrid or Barca.  I'm not dumb.  but good Christ, the lad has just had the most sensational season of his life, and arguably, on an individual level, the most sensational season in the history of the Premier League.  he can't but be loving life, and there is zero logic in him leaving this summer.  it's just the rags being fúcking obvious about a form player, and opposition fans fúcking begging for it to be true.

he ain't leaving.  sorry.  he'll be given the most bumper pay rise you've ever seen, and he'll be terrorising everyone again next season.

so you can all get tha fúck.
    No one can afford him. if countinho and neymar were 140 and 200 then salah is 250-300. No one has that money. FSG only allowed coutinho go because klopp didn't want him. We have the best player in the world - messi and Ronaldo are slowing down. Keep him and ride his coat tails to world domination I say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Gbear wrote: »
    Lovren can look bulletproof in games where we're set and the structure is in place around him.

I think there's a pretty select group of CBs around the world who can play the isolated defensive game under huge pressure on and off the ball.

Lovren is without a shadow of a doubt a good CB. Big, strong, quick, good tackler, pretty good on the ball, good reader of the game. There's another layer of your Sergio Ramos', Piqués, Hummels', and seemingly, Van Dijks, who are totally relaxed and sure of themselves in almost any situation. They're happy throwing out the playbook and improvising, because they have the level of footballing ability to get out of most situations. They're not even all as proficient physically or technically from a defensive point of view, but as footballers they're a cut above.

We're asking Lovren to do that and we're going to have to either replace him, or accept a few cock ups every now and again.
    Thankfully, the **** hit the fan last night, when we were 5-0 up, and not at another stage.

If we approach the Roma away game the same as the City away game, I don't think he or the rest of our defence will have the same problems.
    This crowd are not City. Granted, they're a bit more physical, but we can match that at CB. We should be able to keep them out.
    There not City but yet they cut us open more times last night than City did at Anfield in the 1st leg.
    They have beaten Barca and Chelsea comprehensively at home. They are not a limited attacking team that people are making them out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Thud

finno wrote: »
    That's it, thanks, he was having fun at that stage.... need a super slow Mo close up of it too

Gini's turn was good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

comparing Barca and Liverpool is stupid.

as brilliant as Barca, and mainly Suarez and Messi, are, they don't transition like us. Roma played that second leg on the front foot, played immaculately, and got what they deserved.

the problem for them though against Liverpool is that we transition a thousand times quicker than Barca, and if they stay on the front foot with a high line, they will be picked off. it's inevitable.

they cannot play the same way against us as they did against Barca. they could find another way, but if they try and replicate that gameplan, they'll be fúcking slaughtered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

SlickRic wrote: »

he ain't leaving. sorry. he'll be given the most bumper pay rise you've ever seen, and he'll be terrorising everyone again next season.

so you can all get tha fúck.

I think we're seeing a little bit of financial reality bumping up against football now.

It seems like PSG are still in a bit of trouble over last seasons signings, despite their chicanery with Mbappé.

Salah is going to cost £250m+. That puts anyone bar Real or PSG out of the argument, and even then, fitting him in to their teams would be tricky.

Real need a CF for Ronaldo to play off to replace Benzema and that's not Salah. They've their own superstar in the making in Asensio and I can't believe fans would be happy to see him discarded.

They might be able to make it work financially with the sales of players like Isco and Bale (the bones of £200m for the pair of them) but where does he fit into the side?

What does Neymar do when a lad outperforming him turns up in the team? I don't think he's sanctioning that. Neymar would probably have to leave first, but where'd he go?

I think we're in a good position with Mo at the.. emmm... mo.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Am I right in saying that the exact way the set up home to Barca ? maybe that result done us a favour and got them over confident,
    Yes, it was the same tactical setup as they used. Barcelona didn't commit players forward like Liverpool do and Roma were able to snuff out the breaks of Luis Suarez and Sergi Roberto with relative ease. That may have given them the belief that they could do it to Liverpool also.

After going 3-0 down, Barcelona introduced Alcacer and Dembele and they opened Roma up with their pace. They left it far too late in the game because there was only 5 minutes remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Arrah, the ****ing two goals and the nature of them really did spoil last night for me. Can't help it - in my nature. We were glorious for 60 mins or so and it was utterly electric, but I hate the fact that the tie was done and dusted in my mind but now is back as a going concern - even if we're rightly heavy favourites to progress.

Just hard to get past that first goal. So ****ing silly.

Of course, a clean sheet would have been better but I don't get how people can be negative after last night.

Yes, it was a mistake by Lovren and now people are also blaming Trent but I find that to be over analysis.

Teams are going to score goals sometimes but there is a tendency by the modern supporter that every goal should be stopped and players should not make mistakes of any kind despite being human.

Karius getting torn to shreds due to misjudging the flight of one ball and then ignore everything else he did right in the game.

Now many feel the momentum is with Roma despite them losing 5-2 and our full team tearing them apart. The momentum is with Liverpool in this tie not Roma.
    Do you think that Roma defence is looking forward to seeing our front line next week? Not a hope, they’ll be bloody terrified.

The odds are heavily stacked in our favour that we will go through next week. I also don’t see any reason why we can’t go there and expect to score. OK Barcelona didn’t but we’re a different side and our front three is in better form than theirs which sounds crazy when you consider they have Suarez and Messi.

Barcelona did not tear Roma apart in the first leg like we did last night.

I think people should just appreciate this team, enjoy them and accept it has some limitations and stop expecting clean sheets in every match.

We’re within touching distance of the Champion’s League final playing Klopp’s glorious heavy metal football. Rival fans are bricking it and point our weaknesses and say that Salah will leave, all wishful thinking and signs they’re worried about us.

This just has to be enjoyed not worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Roma midfield trio were written in here as being better than ours before last night. Even after the injury, Hendo, Milner and Gini were class.
    Allison and his defence had a shocker. Is he better than Karius? possibly but didnt cover himself in glory taking 5 out of the back of the net.

More of the same next week please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

rob316 wrote: »
    Look at these numbers, not 1 but 3 world class forwards. 3 players I could never imagined recording these figures. If Mane could improve his finishing he could definitely have another 10 goals.

Mo Salah-
    ⚽️ 43 goals
    🅰️ 13 assists

Roberto Firmino-
    ⚽️ 27 goals
    🅰️ 15 assists

Sadio Mane-
    ⚽️ 18 goals
    🅰️ 9 assists

Winning the CL would the ultimate recognition for them and Klopp.

How ****ing lucky are we to have Klopp.

First of all it was he will never come to Liverpool, then it was he was a one trick pony, then it was they only got top 4 as they had no Europe to worry about, then it was they will burn out in the second half of the season and won't be able to cope without coutinho . He has done an incredible job, there is no fear of salah going next year and if truth be told most attacking players in the world will be thinking that they would love to be part of what is going on here.

• Advertisement

Also we have had a bit of a test run of what we are going to face next week as it was much the same situation as against city. We had a huge psychological setback in that game going 1 0 down with their first attack but pulled through it. That should stand to the team next week even though the pessimist in me is quite nervous.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    There not City but yet they cut us open more times last night than City did at Anfield in the 1st leg.
    They have beaten Barca and Chelsea comprehensively at home. They are not a limited attacking team that people are making them out to be
    The moral of the story is that Man City should have kept Edin Dzeko happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah I am not a Liverpool fan but I just read about the Irish Liverpool fan from Meath and that is just shocking.
    Wishing him a full recovery and thinking of his family and friends today.
    It is just a sport at the end of the day and it is just so sad to see anyone being needlessly attacked and left fighting for their life in what should be an enjoyable occasion.
    Two Italians being charged for attempted murder.
    I know everyone here whoever they support feels the same way on this. Just hope he recovers fully from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm on top of the world today.

We have an innate ability to make the game look really ****ing simple at times against top opposition. That has never before happened in my life time.

Embrace this lads.

We've three players who combined are on 28 goals in the CL. That's more than most teams would score in multiple CL seasons. This is unprecedented attacking prowess for this club.

Maybe the team of Barnes, Aldridge and Beardsley could have managed similar, but the fact is, we're witnessing something completely unique here and I feel we're taking it a little for granted. We're performing at a rate that has only been achieved by the elites - Messi & Barcelona. Ronaldo & Madrid.

We beat Roma 5-2. Made them look completely beneath us for 60 odd minutes. We're going to beat them again.

Talisman wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the exact way the set up home to Barca ? maybe that result done us a favour and got them over confident,
    Yes, it was the same tactical setup as they used. Barcelona didn't commit players forward like Liverpool do and Roma were able to snuff out the breaks of Luis Suarez and Sergi Roberto with relative ease. That may have given them the belief that they could do it to Liverpool also.

After going 3-0 down, Barcelona introduced Alcacer and Dembele and they opened Roma up with their pace. They left it far too late in the game because there was only 5 minutes remaining.
    Your spot on Barca as good as they are can't match our pace and there build up play is much slower, We are some what like Fergies old United teams in the way we go from back to front as quick as possible,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

any word on the Ox?

any word on the Ox?
    Such a shame , the guy was having his best season ever and now is likely to miss the world cup and a possible once in a life time champions league final , Football is a cruel cruel sport at times,

any word on the Ox?

No word but I reckon he is done for the season you would know by his reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Roma pressed Barca high up the pitch. Barca not used to this treatment & could not figure it out especially as Roma were super physical. The first 25 minutes were actually like this last night. We were struggling with Roma's press & getting out was a nightmare. Here's the difference though, Barca will not adjust form what they know & play a long ball. We played over the press, went with high balls over the top exploiting the oceans of space in behind.

So the big question is what do Roma do next week? I believe they will go four at the back & try to press high up the pitch. This will suit us perfectly as we are clearly more adaptable than Barca.

I am also in agreement with everybody here. Was super disappointed with the goals conceeded as it did ruin the night for me. I remember thinking on 79 mins Id take this now, see it out. Would love to have seen Klppp bring on someone with more defensive qualities than Ings as well. But with a bit more perspective today we are in a great position. It's all on Roma to make things happen & clawing back a 3 goal lead two knock-out ties in a row is a big ask, especially with the pace & form of our front trio.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

any word on the Ox?
    I hope it's not the petallar tendon as reported. I strained mine before and it was absolute agony, can't imagine what a tear would be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I hope it's not the petallar tendon as reported. I strained mine before and it was absolute agony, can't imagine what a tear would be like.

That contributed to fat ronaldos decline as far as I remember, awful injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That contributed to fat ronaldos decline as far as I remember, awful injury.

Yep, isnt that what he did to himself on his return match for Inter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Gini had a few more like this too.

And just to be totally fair, Nainggolan isn't so bad either.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Football is a cruel game, really gutted for The Ox, it's so unlucky to pick up an injury like that and more than likely miss a CL final and World Cup and probably the start of next season too. No justice at all, he doesn't deserve that. Never mind the fact it leaves our squad wafer thin now for the run in.

As for the game last night, those late goals left me feeling slightly deflated, I was thinking it was going to end up 7 or 8 nil and we could field kids in the return leg, now there's still a niggling feeling of chucking it away however unlikely that is.

Performance wise last night the midfield 3 were immense, Wijnaldum was incredible with his ball retention and carrying it upfield and linking with the front 3, Milner was his usual energiser bunny self, just getting everywhere and even leaving a bit on a couple of Roma players! He's unreal, I remember people saying he should never play as a midfielder for the club again! Looks like he was being wasted at left back! Henderson, true Captains performance, hustling and harrying and relentlessly winning the ball back, he was berating team mates, he was geeing up the crowd, it was fantastic to see, how anyone can take a dislike to the guy is beyond me, he puts everything he has into it and you can clearly see how proud he is to be Captain of Liverpool.

We now need to praise Jeebus or Allah or whatever you're into and hope these 3 players can play out the rest of the season unscathed.

I loved the sweet bitterness of Duncan Castles, press champion of Brendan Rodgers, Jose Mourinho and Chelsea FC:

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/988872769650810885
    Not hard to understand to Roma’s complaints about the refereeing. Only with an official of this tolerance would James Milner have survived so long without seeing yellow. Perfect referee for Klopp’s pressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It looks like Gerrard is going to be the next Rangers manager according to the internet.

Interesting and fair play to him dropping down and trying his hand at management and not thinking he is to good for a smaller club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It looks like Gerrard is going to be the next Rangers manager according to the internet.

Interesting and fair play to him dropping down and trying his hand at management and not thinking he is to good for a smaller club.

Think he's mental if he takes that job. Still a lot of problems there in the background. Both financially and otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I loved the sweet bitterness of Duncan Castles, press champion of Brendan Rodgers, Jose Mourinho and Chelsea FC:

Why give him any more air time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Such a shame , the guy was having his best season ever and now is likely to miss the world cup and a possible once in a life time champions league final , Football is a cruel cruel sport at times,

Same old same old for Ox. He always had good patches and then he got injured.

Good fortune or better management of the player meant the "patch" lasted longer than it ever did at Arsenal but its all pretty predictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Gerrard vs Rodgers! Rangers v Celtic. that'd be mad.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to find Brendan Rodgers has recommended him for the job - installing a rookie manager at that shambles of a club will help his own career at Celtic.

Ox has been brilliant and this coming from someone who was very much against his signing at the time. Terrible for the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If i was to comment on Castles, I'd have to ban myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to find Brendan Rodgers has recommended him for the job - installing a rookie manager at that shambles of a club will help his own career at Celtic.

It's a bit of a stretch to suggest Rangers are asking the opinion of the Celtic manager about who they should hire.

Why give him any more air time?
    Sorry - I couldn't resist the urge to share his pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I know your posts are all a mess normally, but deciding that the lad in a critical condition is somewhat responsible for his situation without knowing anything about it is just a bit much.

Not saying that at all. I'm just saying people can get caught up in the moment and act abnormally. I would be shocked to find out that he was simply sitting down having a coffee and was attacked from behind. Most likely he was just defending Liverpool, and got caught up in that and was struck while doing so. I just know that I personally I would not get involved in such dick measuring before a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yikes. Dunno what you got out of typing that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

WTF Toby? Are you totally ignorant of the fact that a segment of AS Roma's fans have form for that sort of mindless violence against opposing fans.

How Are UEFA "Shocked" By Yet Another Attack By Roma Fans? (Balls.ie)

That makes sense, I did not know of all those incidents. I still feel a bit of common sense and not to engage with such thugs means you'd avoid laying in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Not saying that at all. I'm just saying people can get caught up in the moment and act abnormally. I would be shocked to find out that he was simply sitting down having a coffee and was attacked from behind. Most likely he was just defending Liverpool and got caught up in that and was struck while doing so. I just know that I personally I would not get involved in such dick measuring before a game.

how is that most likely? because you say so ?

Have a bit of respect for the guy, he's in hospital fighting for his life. Dont be casting aspersions on him in a situation you know nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Thought Manolas looked very nervous during the CL anthem.

I rate him but he very very poor last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Toby go back to writing Haiku's for a bit.

Was the reports that he was hit in the back of the head, there is also footage of those same Roma "fans" causing bother and attacking people in the City centre during the day, and also some reports they were trying to cause bother at the Everton V Newcastle game on Monday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

greendom wrote: »
    Same old same old for Ox. He always had good patches and then he got injured.

Good fortune or better management of the player meant the "patch" lasted longer than it ever did at Arsenal but its all pretty predictable.

Thankfully he has a manager who recognises his ability and has allowed that ability to flourish. The Ox's injurys last night occured because of a tackle and not because he attempted to run faster than usual.

I know you're pretending to sound blase about Ox being a Liverpool player so don't worry yourself about his rehab.

That makes sense, I did not know of all those incidents. I still feel a bit of common sense and not to engage with such thugs means you'd avoid laying in hospital.
    He didn't engage with them - he was simply an easy target standing on the street outside The Albert pub.

'It was pretty horrible stuff' - an eye-witness account of the Anfield attack (RTE.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

FFS you're implying he ended up in hospital because he didnt 'stand on the sidelines' like other liverpool fans.
    And that he's in some way responsible for happened to him.
    For all you know he was walking along and got suckerpunched then given a beating on the ground.
    All i see from that video is a man lying on the ground in a serious condition, not moving.
    Nothing to suggest he 'interacted' with roma fans at all.
    Have a word with yourself mate.

Now you're casting aspersions on me to suggest I have no respect for him, and that I think he's to blame.
    I've not said that at all.

If you watch video you see 100's of Liverpool fans on side lines not engaging with the Roma fans with belts and hammers, and you see the Roma fans not engaging with them. You see Liverpool fans engaging with the Roma fans, taking them on. When the Roma fans retreat, a rush of Liverpool fans who are willing to dick measure take off after them. It's those fans who are taking them on who are likely to get hurt, that is all I am saying. Those Liverpool fans onlooking are not laying in hospital.
    I'm not saying the guy is to blame, the Roma fans clearly wanted some trouble and instigated what happened, I'm just saying one would be wise not to get involved, like the 100's of onlookers who did not.

The video is not showing the full incident it is showing the aftermath of the Irish guy being attacked as you can see him laying in the ground and you see a Roma "fan" going up and kicking another guy in the head who is helping the guy on the ground

monkey9 wrote: »
    Thankfully he has a manager who recognises his ability and has allowed that ability to flourish. The Ox's injurys last night occured because of a tackle and not because he attempted to run faster than usual.

Yeah I wouldn't put that injury down to injury proneness. Just went in for tackle and his lower leg got caught in the turf. Could happen to anyone.

Toby you should really put some thought into your posts on the subject before you submit them. Don't feel the need to say something just for the sake of saying something.

Sean Cox didn't 'tango' with the Roma mob - it appears he was attacked for no other reason than the fact that he was the closest available target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Just reading this article by Lawro, and while there isnt much in it of substance, he does make the statement about the front three of Bobby, Mane & Salah that he "cannot think of a better front three I have seen in British football."

I would argue that Suarez, Sterling and Sturrigde were a better front three, as each one of them was devastating on their own, where as our current 3 amigo's are arguably a better unit, I would still prefer to have the other front three

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43888382

Now you're casting aspersions on me to suggest I have no respect for him, and that I think he's to blame.
    I've not said that at all.

If you watch video you see 100's of Liverpool fans on side lines not engaging with the Roma fans with belts and hammers, and you see the Roma fans not engaging with them. You see Liverpool fans engaging with the Roma fans, taking them on. When the Roma fans retreat, a rush of Liverpool fans who are willing to dick measure take off after them. It's those fans who are taking them on who are likely to get hurt, that is all I am saying. Those Liverpool fans onlooking are not laying in hospital.
    I'm not saying the guy is to blame, the Roma fans clearly wanted some trouble and instigated what happened, I'm just saying one would be wise not to get involved, like the 100's of onlookers who did not.

The guy currently fighting for his life was by all accounts jumped completely unprovoked because he was not in a large group and these cowards will always look to pick out someone either by themselves or with a very small group.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement