Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Anyone still going to the game next week? I am but a bit anxious now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

ThumbTaxed wrote: »

I don't blame you. Are you in the away or home end

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

ballyargus wrote: »
    Bale unhappy at Madrid. If only we'd pay his lunch money. I think he would be an ideal fit for us.

Yeah his salary would blow everyone else's at the club out of the water. Might upset and unbalance what seems to be a really close unit with great camaraderie. As a player though, would be massive.

Always the fear we lose one of our front three to injury. Keeper, CB, Keita, and one top class player alongside the best front three in Europe and we go from an excellent starting 11 with the ability to beat anyone on the day to a squad capable of conquering the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

ThumbTaxed wrote:

I wouldn't go near a Roma match. Made the mistake of going to a Roma match in the Italian league. It was horrific. Fighting in the "home" end. As tourists, they moved us to better seats near the half way line. That was worse! We left. We were told this was normal, and it was far worse for when they play Lazio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Definitely not don’t think I’ll go to Kiev (if we get there) rang a few usual companies yesterday regarding chartered flights in and out in the one day nobody interested in going to Ukraine one even spoke about having to bribe in order to get the plane home safely😱😱
    I know Heineken who sponsor champions league have sent memo to staff saying they won’t be issuing tickets for Kiev as it’s unsafe
    Went to my first European cup final in 01 and the thoughts of not going to one kills me but even the wife who never bothers where I go has asked me not to go to Kiev

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

One of the main things is to not wear any colours (jersey/scarf, etc) I'd say.Safest might be to keep away from the main body of fans, especially if you are with some other Irish so you can pretend to be normal tourists, but then you'd miss out on some craic, but it depends on the atmosphere. I think it is inevitable there will be some trouble from the Italians, but hopefully it can be contained.. The police might be half of the problem too though over there.

Definitely not don’t think I’ll go to Kiev (if we get there) rang a few usual companies yesterday regarding chartered flights in and out in the one day nobody interested in going to Ukraine one even spoke about having to bribe in order to get the plane home safely😱😱
    I know Heineken who sponsor champions league have sent memo to staff saying they won’t be issuing tickets for Kiev as it’s unsafe
    Went to my first European cup final in 01 and the thoughts of not going to one kills me but even the wife who never bothers where I go has asked me not to go to Kiev

It's a pity that Liverpool never get to the CL final when it is in Paris, Madrid, London or Munich, etc. Istanbul, Athens and potentially Kiev. Couldn't be many places further away in Europe really other than Moscow and the "somehow European but not even near Europe" places like Baku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

5starpool wrote: »
    It's a pity that Liverpool never get to the CL final when it is in Paris, Madrid, London or Munich, etc. Istanbul, Athens and potentially Kiev. Couldn't be many places further away in Europe really other than Moscow and the "somehow European but not even near Europe" places like Baku.

London 78 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Well we've played Rome, Wembley, Paris, Rome, Brussels, Istanbul and Athens so far, so we haven't done too bad.

Prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain most finals were played in the 'western' part of Europe, it's just a sign of the times really. 1973 in Belgrade was the only exception.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We'll be hanging the Jersey of Sean Cox's local GAA team in the dressing room against Roma. Class.

amber69 wrote: »
    London 78 I think

I'm talking about recently obviously. I know where all our finals in the 70's and 80's were. If someone in UEFA suggested holding the final in Kiev or Istanbul in the 70's they would have been laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We'll be hanging the Jersey of Sean Cox's local GAA team in the dressing room against Roma. Class.

Nice touch seen him on the ground motionless Tuesday night didn’t look good
    Horrendous thing to happen could have been any of us
    Was a lot of skirmishes all day in the city with gangs of Roma fans but credit to the cops there were out in force even was horse mounted cops in the city during the day
    Will be poison next Wednesday especially if Roma go out but would imagine there will be a lot of cops on duty hopefully it go’s off without incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Its a nice touch, and hopefully we see a picture next month with a fully recovered Sean holding big ears.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apparently the club is getting in touch with the police in Rome and Roma ahead of the game to try do something about safety.
    I'm not sure what can be done, but great to see some pro-activity to protect fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's great to see how quick the Go Fund Me for Sean has risen. Just €3000 short of the €60000 goal now.

Hopefully the money will help the family in this difficult time and allow them to focus on helping Sean recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's great to see how quick the Go Fund Me for Sean has risen. Just €3000 short of the €60000 goal now.

Hopefully the money will help the family in this difficult time and allow them to focus on helping Sean recover.
    do you have the link for it?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    do you have the link for it?

It was posted yesterday I think but no harm in posting again.

https://www.gofundme.com/sean-cox-medical-fund

TitianGerm wrote: »

Absolutely agree with the above.

I have a tangential question though. How do these things work? Are they pledged amounts, or actually collected amounts that gofundme (and similar sites) hold until withdrawal by authorized persons? In instances like this too, it is very possible that someone could use a high profile case like this to essentially pretend they are collecting money for something like this but keep it all for themselves? I'm talking in general, not insinuating there is anything dodgy about this fund.

Absolutely agree with the above.

I have a tangential question though. How do these things work? Are they pledged amounts, or actually collected amounts that gofundme (and similar sites) hold until withdrawal by authorized persons? In instances like this too, it is very possible that someone could use a high profile case like this to essentially pretend they are collecting money for something like this but keep it all for themselves? I'm talking in general, not insinuating there is anything dodgy about this fund.

It is usually the person who set up the fund that can withdraw the money and they then pass it on to those who it was raised for.

Obviously there are people out there who may try scam the system after setting a fund up and not passing the money raised onto the people who it was for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great platform gofundme is but its some business to be in 5% fee + processing charge for just taking payments through a site. It's like going to any online store, buying something with your card and not actually receiving anything.

• Advertisement

I should set up my own site like that called www.TheMoneyWasJustRestingInMyAccount.com

Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Italian Press trying to fans the flames

https://twitter.com/TonyBarrett/status/989626434128883712

Liverpool FC update on Roma away travel

Liverpool Football Club is continuing to do everything in its power to provide supporters travelling to Rome next week with the most comprehensive safety and security advice.

The club has taken the exceptional measure of requesting an extraordinary meeting in the Italian capital, which will take place on Friday April 27.

Present at the meeting will be all the major stakeholders who share responsibility for the wellbeing of Liverpool supporters making the journey to watch the Champions League tie.

At the behest of Liverpool, club officials will join AS Roma, UEFA and the relevant Italian police and security services to discuss specific ongoing concerns.

Liverpool have sought clarity on a number of issues surrounding the matchday operation since the draw was made and is hoping this extraordinary meeting will provide the necessary reassurances and essential information.

This, if provided, will allow the club to fully inform supporters of the measures that will be in place.

The club thanks its fans for their ongoing engagement on this issue and would hope to provide a detailed update following the meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I'll just leave this here..

We won in Wembley, we won it in gay Paris, in 77 and 84 it was Rome, ya'll know the rest...

not yet wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here..

We won in Wembley, we won it in gay Paris, in 77 and 84 it was Rome, ya'll know the rest...

There was an addendum added to this before the final in Athens that sadly had to be abandoned. From memory, it went something like "In Ancient Greece, we'll bring it back home".

There was an addendum added to this before the final in Athens that sadly had to be abandoned. From memory, it went something like "In Ancient Greece, we'll bring it back home".

Or, in the Ukraine, we'll win it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I posted in tickets but seems to be getting very little traction , anyone ever try get tickets outside the ground?

Heading over to morrow without tickets for the first time and a little cautious but hopefully I can rescue something before then but just in case its a last minute job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

http://www.ansa.it/sito/notizie/cronaca/2018/04/26/attesi-5mila-inglesi-1000-a-rischio_057b1749-c6a9-44a6-9f01-3e7647421823.html

That's the 'source' that was the basis for the tweet that Bad-News was addressing. It's source free, on it's face. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the local peelers is softening up the media in advance of the usual Italian policing ****-show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It was the 'We Won it 5 Times' song;

We won it 5 times, We won it 5 times, in Istanbul we won it 5 times.

in 2007 it became;

We won it 5 times, We won it 5 times, in Istanbul we won it 5 times.
    We'll win it 6 times, we'll win it 6 times, in ancient Greece, we'll win it 6 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stoke presser, talking about the assault before game right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EySuka_X9yE

Re Stoke line up - " we could play Tuesday team if not injured (Tues/Sat/Wed not an issue) the young players are there but not going to play 3/4 in one game"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Klopp: "How could we say we rest 3 or 4 players who are able to play? What about Fair Play? It should not be allowed and I won't think about it."

Guess it will be close to full strength tomorrow then. Talking about how Chelsea "could win every game so we need to make sure that's not enough for the top 4" - "we are desperate for the points, just like Stoke."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Klopp conforming Mane has a slight knock, might be ok for Stoke but not sure if he will risk him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Cant wait to relegate Stoke tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Great to see Klopp wearing a tricolour liverbird :)

Paul Lambert Stoke manager yet to lose a game as Manager at Anfield

Emre Can reconsidering his position due to upturn in fortunes apparently. Could be fit for a game or two. Fancy that.

Emre Can reconsidering his position due to upturn in fortunes apparently. Could be fit for a game or two. Fancy that.

Play him in the remaining league games and if the final is reached leave him behind saying sorry only those who have more than a few months left on their contracts can travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Saw this on twitter thought it was good :pac:

“The only reason the Huns are going for Gerrard is because he’s the last person who stopped Rodgers winning a title”

Play him in the remaining league games and if the final is reached leave him behind saying sorry only those who have more than a few months left on their contracts can travel

Thats just silly. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If Milner, Henderson or Wij got injured in the final (if we get there) we'd have no one to bring on in CM because you left him at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Mané to be assessed:
    Jürgen Klopp confirmed Sadio Mane has an injury issue and the Liverpool forward will be assessed ahead of Saturday's meeting with Stoke City.

The No.19 missed training on Thursday but, at his pre-match press conference, the manager reported the problem is ‘not that serious’.

“Of course there is something. We will see,” said Klopp when asked for an update on Mane.

“It is not that serious; there is a chance for tomorrow. If we use that chance or not… it is quite early in the day.

“In these times, you always have to use each second and minute, speak to the player, speak to the Doc, speak to the physiotherapists and all that stuff. At the end, you have to make a decision and I will make a decision.”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Can has been a true professional in the last year of his contract. Can't question his commitment over the busy Xmas period he put in a serious shift. He is injured he went away with the German team and had to leave the camp so I wouldn't be believing any of the conspiracy theories .Hopefully he is close to fitness as we really need him.

The last time Can played for us he went off injured and was seen going down the tunnel in discomfort holding his lower back.
    So I don't doubt his injury.
    There is probably ways to get him through a game if needs be.

Boll0ks to that, that's like the girlfriend looking a bit frumpy and tired and you thinking, ah fcuk this I'm getting meself a new bird, then she starts going the gym and gets a new wardrobe and thinking, jaysus I'll give this another go...

heh! I'd play him if he can be played, right now I don't see any merit in being proud. He could be vital against Brighton to secure the top 4 while giving Hendo or Milner a game off.

Can helped us get here. I'd gladly slot him back into the remaining PL games to help rotate Milner/Hendo/Gini.

Would Klavan be an option as a holding mid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I doubt there's anything other than an actual injury going on with Can. His form may have been off, but he was playing every game and putting in a shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

He's still contracted to the club. He hasnt shown any signs of downing tools. If he can do a job, get him on the pitch if he's not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

The last time Can played for us he went off injured and was seen going down the tunnel in discomfort holding his lower back.
    So I don't doubt his injury.
    There is probably ways to get him through a game if needs be.

https://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php#c13

Physioroom still have him back on the 13th, so the last game against Brighton.
    If he could get through that, and assuming there'll probably be a behind doors match in the 2 week break before the final (no Jinx!) then maybe, but if Gini is fit and we have Hendo and Millie, I'd keep him on the bench.
    Not sure he can be termed as 'want-away' but the lads have earned the place in the final (still no Jinx!) and I'd rather he be a strong bench option than disrupt was has worked to get there in the first place...

Can helped us get here. I'd gladly slot him back into the remaining PL games to help rotate Milner/Hendo/Gini.

Would Klavan be an option as a holding mid?

Yeah, Maybe with Sligo rovers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Mig wrote: »
    Cant wait to relegate Stoke tomorrow

Just like West Brom;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement