Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Buvac is gone then Klopp will need a sounding board for next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    If Buvac is gone then Klopp will need a sounding board for next season

I wonder if Lijnders fancies coming back in a more senior role, if NEC aren't promoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

BenEadir wrote: »

It's true, to a point.

But being a typical tabloid hack, he has embellished the headline, and the taglines to the article on his Twitter posts, to insinuate that there are these massive problems between Klopp and Buvac, just so he can give hardline Utd fans, and possibly himself, a Monday morning erection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cynic in me tells me there's more to this than meets the eye, hopefully I'm wrong however.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Even if there was a bust up you'd imagine they would have managed to put differences aside for the next few games.

It just feels like there is an illness involved.

More likely that he might have felt that he wasn't being valued as much as he had been previously and reached breaking point. We don't know. It could of course be an illness to himself or a family member, but I think that is less likely than the simpler answer of 'irreconcilable differences'. It doesn't have to have been a massive blow out, although the timing points to something akin to that if not illness related. Draws in our next 2 games (or wins) would mean everyone has forgotten about it until June anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bring back Sammy Lee, all is forgiven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is there any truth in the Fa looking at banning Mo for swinging his arm v Stoke ?
    The Westbrom defender punched Ings although a crap punch on camera and nothing came of  it surely they won't ban Mo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Lets hope that Buvac doesn't turn out to be Klopps Peter Taylor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well thats a f**king great start to the week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The personal reasons has a similar feel to Coutinho having a back injury etc, just controlled PR by the club which isn't a bad thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they did in fact fall out or just didn't think they worked well together anymore......could be anything but the cynic in me thinks that we wont see Buvac in the LFC dugout any more.

Could be a bad or good thing we just dont know at this stage anyway, its all speculation.....I just hope ultimately that it doesn't become a distraction to the players and whatever the situation that its not very serious for Buvac in terms of illness/family.

• Advertisement

Is there any truth in the Fa looking at banning Mo for swinging his arm v Stoke ?
    The Westbrom defender punched Ings although a crap punch on camera and nothing came of  it surely they won't ban Mo ?

I'd be surprised, but not surprised. Swinging and missing isn't a red card offence surely, even if there was swinging in the first place (oh er).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair it is only speculation that a bust up happened, but of course it could have happened. Maybe "bust up"C is just a sensationalist way of saying they had a disagreement.

We seen some reports that Buvac was unhappy with the keeping coach. I have mentioned before how he is the weak link. Has been around to oversee the demise of Reina and has turned loads of great keepers (at other clubs) into calamity James' imo. Maybe There could be a disagreement between Klopp and Buvac about something like this (not exactly this)??

This is not good timing though no matter the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd be surprised, but not surprised. Swinging and missing isn't a red card offence surely, even if there was swinging in the first place (oh er).

From a totally non biased point of view (really really honest) I think he deserves a one match ban :)

NukaCola wrote: »
    The personal reasons has a similar feel to Coutinho having a back injury etc, just controlled PR by the club which isn't a bad thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they did in fact fall out or just didn't think they worked well together anymore......could be anything but the cynic in me thinks that we wont see Buvac in the LFC dugout any more.

Could be a bad or good thing we just dont know at this stage anyway, its all speculation.....I just hope ultimately that it doesn't become a distraction to the players and whatever the situation that its not very serious for Buvac in terms of illness/family.
    If he really was going to leave surely they would have said he has taking time out for personal reason and then in the summer announce he will not return, why put in the bit that his position at the club will not be effected  ? sounds like he really has personal issues ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ebbsy wrote: »
    Solanke has really disappointed me. He has been given loads of chances as well.

He's looked really physically inept to me. No strength or explosiveness.

He's a nice player - good feet and all that. He just has no presence. Hopefully he'll hit the gym over the summer.

I remember Origi disappearing for a while and then came back much bigger and started leaving his mark on games a lot more (up until Funes Mori scumbaggishly injured him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

It looked bad enough tbf.

https://streamable.com/tbs58

Wouldn't be surprised if he was banned for 3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Wheety wrote: »

Be a bit severe I think myself (though you could well be right players have been banned for less). Would it do you any harm though Top 4 in PL is all but nailed on and will keep him fresh for an almost certain CL final?

Nah - he doesn't make any contact, the player doesn't react - not enough here to say it was an intentional attempt to hit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

No doubt he'll get a 3 match ban , anything to help Kane get his golden boot. But its really just him trying to push off constant holding and tugging on his shirt you can even see there is no reaction from the stoke player

• Advertisement

mightyreds wrote: »
    No doubt he'll get a 3 match ban , anything to help Kane get his golden boot. But its really just him trying to push off constant holding and tugging on his shirt you can even see there is no reaction from the stoke player
    Not as bad ads the Westbrom defender punching someone ,
    Surely the club would appeal and use that example as it was last week,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You can't do what he did, obviously.

But the referee simply didn't do his job on Saturday either. At some point, players have to be protected.

i don't want the game to be no contact, at all. but Salah was kicked repeatedly. his shirt was being pulled pretty much every time he got the ball. in that clip alone his shirt is pulled, his ankle is clipped and i'm pretty sure Zouma also runs into the back of his leg.

i say this knowing Salah should've had the self control not to swing an arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If he hit him the Stoke player would have went down.

If the FA didn't punish Hegazi last week for punching Ings then they can hardly charge Salah for not hitting someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If he hit him the Stoke player would have went down.

If the FA didn't punish Hegazi last week for punching Ings then they can hardly charge Salah for not hitting someone.

Don’t underestimate the FA, they’ve made a habit of fcuking us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don’t underestimate the FA, they’ve made a habit of fcuking us.

I certainly wouldn't expect anything like consistency, or even rationality, from any official entity in English football. After Eriksen's goal being awarded to Kane, all bets are off.

corwill wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't expect anything like consistency, or even rationality, from any official entity in English football. After Eriksen's goal being awarded to Kane, all bets are off.

That's not the same thing though, it didn't impact any game or team, just moved a 1 from one column to another.

I don't see them pursuing it, it's in their interest to help us focus on winning the CL!

• Advertisement

Silly from Salah, you cant give the FA the chance to **** you over and it looks like they have that chance now. Hopefully nothing will come of it but you never know.

From a totally non biased point of view (really really honest) I think he deserves a one match ban :)

There are only 2 real outcomes likely.

1. A 3 game ban as it will be for violent conduct if it happens.
    2. No action.

Gbear wrote: »

He's a nice player - good feet and all that. He just has no presence. Hopefully he'll hit the gym over the summer.

I remember Origi disappearing for a while and then came back much bigger and started leaving his mark on games a lot more (up until Funes Mori scumbaggishly injured him).

Dom is miles behind Origi at the same age, not even close IMO.....Solanke should be nowhere near this team, he has plenty of time to improve, I'm not writing him off but he's a long way away from being an option for us.

Dom is miles behind Origi at the same age, not even close IMO.....Solanke should be nowhere near this team, he has plenty of time to improve, I'm not writing him off but he's a long way away from being an option for us.
    I agree Solanke and Ings are dreadful back up, Origi would have had loads of game time since January if he was still here,
    If we make the final and the game is not going our way or we start to tire we literal have no one of a half decent level to bring on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Paul Joyce on Buvac situation,

Jürgen Klopp loses key assistant Zeljko Buvac at start of defining week for Liverpool

Zeljko Buvac, Liverpool’s assistant manager and the man Jürgen Klopp calls “The Brain,” will not work with the first team for the remainder of the season and appears to be on the verge of leaving the club.

Liverpool have said the matter is due to personal reasons and that Buvac’s position at Anfield is not affected.

However, his absence at such a crucial juncture of the season — Liverpool face Roma in their Champions League semi-final, second leg, on Wednesday — is extraordinary.

It is understood Buvac has become increasingly distant and withdrawn around the club, and visibly less engaged during matches recently, and it is that, rather than any specific fall-out with Klopp, which has resulted in his stepping back from first-team duties in the aftermath of the stalemate with Stoke City on Saturday. Liverpool’s players were informed at training on Sunday.

Klopp will hope his right-hand man can return, but if Buvac does not want to be around the club at present, when European ambitions are on the line, it is difficult to envisage that changing.

Klopp and Buvac met as team-mates at FSV Mainz 05 and struck a pact that whoever went into management first would take the other with him.

Klopp’s transition from player to coach at Mainz in 2001 made good the agreement and they have worked together ever since, enjoying success at Borussia Dortmund and arriving at Liverpool in October 2015. Peter Krawietz – “The Eyes” – completes the triumvirate, but it is Buvac who carries most influence.

The relationship between Klopp and Buvac is more professional than social but it has previously been unthinkable that either Klopp or Buvac would work without the other. When Klopp signed a six-year extension to his contract in in the summer of 2016, he insisted that Buvac and Krawietz were given the same contract length.

Buvac, a Bosnian Serb, operates above the level of a normal assistant and Klopp has not disguised the importance of a man six years his senior. During matches he is usually heavily involved in which substitutions take place and at what stage of a game.

He was furious with the goalkeeper coach, John Achterberg, in a game against Chelsea last November when the Londoners scored an equaliser while Liverpool were trying to bring on the substitute Adam Lallana and switch to a five-man backline. Buvac refused to speak to Achterberg, who liaises with the fourth official over substitutions.

Buvac is also central to Liverpool’s work on the training pitch, where he helps drill the repetition of attacking movements.

Klopp has been weighing up tweaks to his backroom team during the season, especially in the physiotherapy department. Andy Renshaw, the head of physiotherapy, left the club in October and there have been continued discussions on how to improve the department.

There will be disappointment among Liverpool supporters and a sense of uneasiness also at the prospect of history repeating itself.

Gérard Houllier won a cup treble in 2001, including the Uefa Cup, but lost his assistant, Patrice Bergues, who returned to France. The club was unable to maintain the same level of progress the following season.

In 2007, weeks after the club’s Champions League defeat to AC Milan, the assistant manager, Pako Ayesteran, quit Liverpool after a fall-out with Rafa Benítez. Ayesteran was perceived as crucial to the club’s success under Benitez and the club never managed to replicate the heights they reached in the years after his departure.

Raphael Honigstein Author, Bring the Noise: The Jurgen Klopp Story

https://twitter.com/honigstein/status/990867556335484928

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When Solanke was signed he was to go into the under 23's for there Champion League campaign.
    Identified as one for the future by Jurgen Klopp , Solanke will join the likes of Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Woodburn, Ovie Ejaria, Sheyi Ojo and Harry Wilson to form the basis of a strong U23s side, which will compete in the Premier League 2 and cup competitions next season while simultaneously pushing for a first-team place.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-sign-dominic-solanke-chelsea-13110595

So he either impressed so much that Klopp decided to keep him with the first team to gain experience or we were so understaffed in the forward line he didn't want to risk him in the Under 23's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He has the greatest endurance in the squad after Milner.

He has more of a distance runner style than being explosive.
    I think next year a loan to Huddersfield would be good for him.

When Solanke was signed he was to go into the under 23's for there Champion League campaign.

So he either impressed so much that Klopp decided to keep him with the first team to gain experience or we were so understaffed in the forward line he didn't want to risk him in the Under 23's.

He absolutely impressed Klopp in training and preseason, I'm sure Klopp said so himself iirc.

A year later though and he really hasn't contributed as much as you would hope. It just didn't work out like Klopp would have hoped I'd say, he hasn't been terrible he just isn't ready IMO, which luckily enough didn't really impact the season so no big deal.

He needs plenty of games to develop, a loan would do him the world of good. To be fair, a few minutes here or there and an odd game up top makes it hard to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Zeljko Buvac out - Steven Gerrard in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Dickerty wrote: »
    That's not the same thing though, it didn't impact any game or team, just moved a 1 from one column to another.

I don't see them pursuing it, it's in their interest to help us focus on winning the CL!

It bespeaks a wider moral and intellectual degeneracy in the administration of the game, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

He absolutely impressed Klopp in training and preseason, I'm sure Klopp said so himself iirc.

A year later though and he really hasn't contributed as much as you would hope. It just didn't work out like Klopp would have hoped I'd say, he hasn't been terrible he just isn't ready IMO, which luckily enough didn't really impact the season so no big deal.

He needs plenty of games to develop, a loan would do him the world of good. To be fair, a few minutes here or there and an odd game up top makes it hard to judge.

This is the key, really. It's so difficult to come in after 85 minutes and have an impact or to start a game with the other second string players and expect to have an impact.

If Solanke had played 5/6 games with Salah and Mané and had no impact, for e.g., we could all make a clearer judgement on him but, as it stands, it's hard to know.

A loan would be great for him really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

sideswipe wrote:
    Zeljko Buvac out - Steven Gerrard in??

Surely Gerrard doesn't have the experience to step into a role like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Mr.H wrote: »
    Surely Gerrard doesn't have the experience to step into a role like that?

Probably not, but if the hierarchy see him as a future manager of the club when Klopp moves on who knows.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Probably not, but if the hierarchy see him as a future manager of the club when Klopp moves on who knows.

If thats the plan and Klopp has 4/5 years left in his contract its probably a bit too soon for him. Perfect opportunity for him though. I'd avoid that if I were Klopp, one bad patch or average season and there would be plenty of talk about Gerrard replacing him. None of us needs that distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Really concerned by Buvac leaving, whatever has happened it is serious as no coach would give up the chance of a CL final. Klopp has always praised him highly as a tactician so losing him now is a real blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More concerned that people see Gerrard as his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Very strange time to have left the club. It must be really serious if he decided to leave a few weeks before the season is over and having 1 foot in the CL final. It doesn't make any sense.

More concerned that people see Gerrard as his replacement.

I'd say a lot of supporters would like to see him take over from Klopp, not on boards specifically. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Rangers if he takes the job. Might change a lot of opinions.

Personally I dont think about who the next manager will be, enjoying Klopps Liverpool far too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Gerrard as a future manager is fine, providing he earns it through a successful managerial career. If Klopp does leave when this contract is up (and I hope that's not set in stone) then I wouldn't really see Gerrard as his replacement, as he'd only be a manager for what, 4-5 years?

As for Buvac leaving, the more I think about it the more it worries me. The only way this could be positive for the club in the short term (i.e. the rest of this season and the CL final if we get there) is if things had gotten so bad that it was causing issues and disruption. Otherwise, this is bad news and even worse timing.

I'd say a lot of supporters would like to see him take over from Klopp, not on boards specifically. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Rangers if he takes the job. Might change a lot of opinions.

Personally I dont think about who the next manager will be, enjoying Klopps Liverpool far too much.

He hasn't done ANYTHING to prove he could do it. He's coached the U19s for a season, where you don't need to sign players, deal with media, manage unhappy stars, and results are not that important. He'd need at least 2 seasons as manager elsewhere before I could say he's ready for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Whether is actual personal reasons or its a falling out its definitely cause for concern and quite disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Dickerty wrote: »
    He hasn't done ANYTHING to prove he could do it. He's coached the U19s for a season, where you don't need to sign players, deal with media, manage unhappy stars, and results are not that important. He'd need at least 2 seasons as manager elsewhere before I could say he's ready for the job.

Yea. This Gerrard stuff is heart over head imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

The timing and how sudden his departure was to me means there is a personal issue that he needs time with.
    His role at the club would take up an awfull lot of time. So a serious family issue would need him to leave. Not that I know it is a family issue but just using that as an example.

It could also be a mental health thing? Maybe he doesn't deal with stress the way Klopp does, that would have been building as the season went on and the targets are still to be met...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Whatever the reason for his leaving it's very sad for the man. Alfter all their years together both as players and coaches, Himself and klopp are on the verge of their biggest trophy ...so for him to have to walk away from that, for whatever reason is really sad. I feel for the guy. Cannot have been an easy decision to make. If he made the decision himself at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement