Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 Mod warning post 9350 and 9421

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

no, no, no, the sky must be falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Another person that cant read... I said this episode allied to dropping points and the injury crisis must be leading to pressure --- i.e it's not ideal going into the end of season/upcoming fixtures.

Top quality as usual.

Maybe people are just fed up with your pessimistic view and are calling you on it.

Buvac leaving has nothing to do with us dropping points. We dropped points against WBA and Stoke because it was clear we couldn't rotate our midfielders and those who did play had their minds on a CL semi final.

At the end of the day Top 4 and a CL final are in our own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

murpho999 wrote: »
    I can read fine thanks. No need to be so condescending.

You're just surmising and in reality have not got a clue what happened just like the rest of us.

There is no injury crisis. Any pressure they feel would be good pressure as they are challenging for a major trophy.

Lallana, Ox, Can, Matip all out leaves the squad down to it's bare bones- I'd call it a crisis given that if one of Hendo or Milner get injured you're down to bit part players in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Another person that cant read... I said this episode allied to dropping points and the injury crisis must be leading to pressure --- i.e it's not ideal going into the end of season/upcoming fixtures.

What are you hoping to achieve by posting something like this repeatedly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lallana, Ox, Can, Matip all out leaves the squad down to it's bare bones- I'd call it a crisis given that if one of Hendo or Milner get injured you're down to bit part players in midfield.

Lallana is back in training.

Plenty of cover for Matip

2 out of 5 midfielders are injured.

You can't say something is a crisis based on a what if. Henderson and Milner are not injured.

What if Henderson or Milner don't get injured in our maximum of 4 games left this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Has anyone seen Buvac play out of interest? Reading Klopp Bring the Noise makes it sound like he was one of those naturally creative attacking midfielders, there's a passage about how he used to join in training all the time and the first time he did the players were like "woah this guy can play". Sounds like a Lubo Moravcik/Litmanen/Petrov type of player who didn't have much pace but did the basics really well. The old Championship Manager would have called him a cultured midfielder.

Had a quick search but can't find any footage, I guess he never played at the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

8-10 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Buvac play out of interest? Reading Klopp Bring the Noise makes it sound like he was one of those naturally creative attacking midfielders, there's a passage about how he used to join in training all the time and the first time he did the players were like "woah this guy can play". Sounds like a Lubo Moravcik/Litmanen/Petrov type of player who didn't have much pace but did the basics really well. The old Championship Manager would have called him a cultured midfielder.

Had a quick search but can't find any footage, I guess he never played at the highest level.

He won a Yugoslav Cup in 1988 and then moved to Bundesliga 2 with Mainz and FC Rot-Weiß Erfurt. Can't imagine a huge amount of second tier German games were being televised in the early '90s!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Salah wins the Football Writers POTY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus - what is going on with the air of panic on here? It's going great - we've a three goal lead going into the second leg of the European Cup semi final*; either a draw in our next league game or - worst case scenario - a win at home in the game thereafter will secure European Cup participation next year; Firmino just signed a new long term deal; Salah is winning awards to beat the band.

I'm as nervous as anyone about tomorrow night, but we're in a great great place overall. If we were to get knocked out tomorrow, lose to Chelsea and scrape over the line against Brighton then it will have been a disappointing end to the year, but no disaster. Disaster involves losing the next three games badly and ending up out of the European Cup in every which way. But come on lads - there's nothing in our season thus far that indicates that as a likely scenario. Our draws against West Brom and Stoke were annoying, but they remained games we dominated and could have won by loads. We all need to relax!

*Suicide insurance for tomorrow is really cheap. Money on Roma to qualify and Roma to win the European Cup outright will put you in an excellent situation to profit heavily if disaster strikes. You would use your winnings on the qualify bet to hedge off your outright bet and end up with guaranteed profit to varying degrees. icon14.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Salah wins the Football Writers POTY

Blue moon will be a gas read later :pac:

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus - what is going on with the air of panic on here? It's going great - we've a three goal lead going into the second leg of the European Cup semi final*; either a draw in our next league game or - worst case scenario - a win at home in the game thereafter will secure European Cup participation next year; Firmino just signed a new long term deal; Salah is winning awards to beat the band.

I'm as nervous as anyone about tomorrow night, but we're in a great great place overall. If we were to get knocked out tomorrow, lose to Chelsea and scrape over the line against Brighton then it will have been a disappointing end to the year, but no disaster. Disaster involves losing the next three games badly and ending up out of the European Cup in every which way. But come on lads - there's nothing in our season thus far that indicates that as a likely scenario. Our draws against West Brom and Stoke were annoying, but they remained games we dominated and could have won by loads. We all need to relax!

*Suicide insurance for tomorrow is really cheap. Money on Roma to qualify and Roma to win the European Cup outright will put you in an excellent situation to profit heavily if disaster strikes. You would use your winnings on the qualify bet to hedge off your outright bet and end up with guaranteed profit to varying degrees. icon14.png

Lloyd, there's no place for positivity in here. We are reverting to our natural state: panic and meltdown...

:o

Nah, tbf, everyone does need to chill a bit. I am nervous ahead of tomorrow (can you imagine NOT being nervous ahead of a CL semi-final second leg?!) and I have some concern about our injuries and the league games as it could/should have been wrapped up by now with a win in either of the last two games and leaves under a bit more pressure than we need to be right now but, as you and others have said, there's a hell of a lot to be pleased about right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

The pessimist in me thinks we'll get knocked out tomorrow, Chelsea will beat us, we'll draw with Brighton, and even Salah will lose the Golden Boot. The optimist in me reckons we'll get to the final, qualify for CL next year, and maybe, just maybe, we'll click in the final, have a magic half an hour where we score 3, and only win the bloody thing! :)

Which part of me is winning the fight changes minute by minute. So nervous for tomorrow evening, but looking forward to it as well! It's been so long since we were in a CL final that I hadn't realised that they're on Saturdays now, and was planning to book the day off work after it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Time for a bit of Oddball positivity round here

Have a little faith baby, have a little faith.

You're welcome ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Lallana is back in training.

Plenty of cover for Matip

2 out of 5 midfielders are injured.

You can't say something is a crisis based on a what if. Henderson and Milner are not injured.

What if Henderson or Milner don't get injured in our maximum of 4 games left this season?

Gerrard is still on the books😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Needless risks being taken here.

2FHq9.jpg
    Jeez, Wijnaldum and Milner could have put their backs out - no wonder PhuckHugh is upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If Liverpool finish 5th and win the Champions League, and Arsenal win the Europa League, 4th Place in the league misses out on Champions League qualification, as there can be no more that 5 teams from 1 association in the Champions League. Arsenal would go in to the CL qualifiers and Liverpool to the group stages.
    (If Leicester won the Champions League last year, Liverpool in 4th would have lost out as Man Utd won the Europa League)

If the group stage berth thats reserved for the winners is not needed (i.e. Liverpool win CL and finish 4th), the group stage berth would go straight to Arsenal as Europa League winners.

The sky is falling! Get down to the bookies now ... We may as well cash in on it.

Liverpool’s Zeljko Buvac will be Arsenal’s new manager – Pravda BL

If Liverpool finish 5th and win the Champions League, and Arsenal win the Europa League, 4th Place in the league misses out on Champions League qualification, as there can be no more that 5 teams from 1 association in the Champions League. Arsenal would go in to the CL qualifiers and Liverpool to the group stages.
    (If Leicester won the Champions League last year, Liverpool in 4th would have lost out as Man Utd won the Europa League)

If the group stage berth thats reserved for the winners is not needed (i.e. Liverpool win CL and finish 4th), the group stage berth would go straight to Arsenal as Europa League winners.

Just a small point, Europa League winners go straight to group stage.

Doesn't matter anyway as Liverpool will finish top 4.

Talisman wrote: »
    The sky is falling! Get down to the bookies now ... We may as well cash in on it.

Doubt it's true but would not be totally shocked due the Dortmund connection in Arsenal but doesn't make any sense to me as nothing like that needs to happen till the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Already jumped to second favourite with the bookies behind Allegri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm bricking it that we will throw this away tomorrow

Why do this? 3 goals up and more than capable of scoring.

Pressure is all on Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They're still going to have to endure 80 mins of us running at them. We won't be sitting back for 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why do this?  3 goals up and more  than capable of scoring.

Pressure is all on Roma.
    I have no reason but I feel dread :) its 35 years of supporting Liverpool ,
    I feel we lose tomorrow and come 5th, but imagine for one second we come 3rd and win the Champions league  , No no surely not surely not ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nervous yes - if they get an early goal. But we will be going for the jugular. No doubt. I cant see us not scoring. We opened them up 5 times in the first leg. It will happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

GBX wrote: »
    Nervous yes - if they get an early goal. But we will be going for the jugular. No doubt. I cant see us not scoring. We opened them up 5 times in the first leg. It will happen again.

More like 10 times really should have been 7 or 8

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This makes yesterday's news about his leave of absence until the end of the season make a lot of sense. He's effectively on gardening leave. The specific references about him still being a Liverpool employee are effectively a message that he's not allowed anywhere near Arsenal until the end of the season, for obvious reasons.

Great move for him if it's true, a chance to really step up and also earn a truck load more cash than he currently does.

I wouldn't be of the view that the sky is falling if he goes.

I'd say we opened them up about 10 times and just didn't convert every time!

I understand the nerves but if Roma play like they did the first leg, we could well score 5 again. We got in behind every time we had the ball for about an hour in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently Strootman is out for Roma tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What's the craic with Mane? I haven't been keeping up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The confirmed 23 man squad for the game
    Karius, Clyne, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Firmino, Salah, Henderson, Klavan, Moreno, Mane, Lallana, Mignolet, Robertson, Ings, Solanke, Jones, Ward, Woodburn, Masterson, Camacho, Alexander-Arnold.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/300234-liverpool-fc-squad-as-roma-champions-league

Gomez doesn't make it after his ankle injury against Stoke.

The confirmed 23 man squad for the game

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/300234-liverpool-fc-squad-as-roma-champions-league

Gomez doesn't make it after his ankle injury against Stoke.

Lallana!!!

Man I hope he is fit enough to play a part in the next few league games if not the CL. Just to have another central option.

I'd imagine we will go with the same starting XI as the first leg with Wijnaldum starting instead of Oxlade-Chamberlain.

By opened up. I meant goals scored. But yeah we dominated them and should have won by more.

I have no reason but I feel dread :) its 35 years of supporting Liverpool ,
    I feel we lose tomorrow and come 5th, but imagine for one second we come 3rd and win the Champions league  , No no surely not surely not ,

You have to enjoy it at times as well.

Look how they played last week and versus Man City. A joy to behold.

No reason they cannot do that again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm petrified we're going to lose top 4

Even if we threw away the chance to get to the final tomorrow, I'd applaud our European efforts this season and say we surpassed my wildest dreams for our return to the fray.

But if we missed the chance to get successive seasons in the CL because of dropping points to the likes of West Brom & Stoke, I'd be gutted altogether. Reckon the Chelsea game will give me a stomach ulcer.

Just one mans opinion, as he starts to freak out ahead of tomorrows game

spockety wrote: »
    I wouldn't be of the view that the sky is falling if he goes.
    "The sky is falling!" was just a shout out to PhuckHugh and the posters who cannot read. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

We will win tomorrow without a single doubt. Is everyone forgetting that suicidal high line they had last week? And that was playing away FFS. Mane and Salah will get plenty of chances and firmino will destroy their center back.

If you have the cash then book your flights and hotel. Because we are going to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm petrified we're going to lose top 4

Even if we threw away the chance to get to the final tomorrow, I'd applaud our European efforts this season and say we surpassed my wildest dreams for our return to the fray.

But if we missed the chance to get successive seasons in the CL because of dropping points to the likes of West Brom & Stoke, I'd be gutted altogether. Reckon the Chelsea game will give me a stomach ulcer.

Just one mans opinion, as he starts to freak out ahead of tomorrows game

I would rather lose the final 2 league games & risk winning the final to get CL than go out tomorrow night,

I'd say we opened them up about 10 times and just didn't convert every time!
    There were over 10 opportunities for Liverpool in the first half alone. Mane could have had a hattrick, Lovren missed two free headers, Firminio, Wijnaldum and Oxlade-Chamberlain all had shots at the keeper instead of the goal and in the second minute Salah tried to curl the ball around the keeper instead of going for the top corner like he did half an hour later.

My fear for the game is that Roma will try to cripple a midfielder or two knowing that we don't have adequate replacements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would rather lose the final 2 league games & risk winning the final to get CL than go out tomorrow night,

We could do both.....

Boards needs an 'anxious' smilie

Something up with me today, Was home the weekend and I'm shook from drink I reckon, this is day 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

D'Agger wrote: »
    We could do both.....

Boards needs an 'anxious' smilie

Something up with me today, Was home the weekend and I'm shook from drink I reckon, this is day 3

I am still confident we will make the CL final & finish top 4.

This tweet just appeared

https://twitter.com/harismrkonjan1/status/991275221138264064

For those watching in black and white:
    Željko #Buvac has apparently been spending a lot of time in Banja Luka, BiH lately. His visits are related to his father's illness, per sources. Rumours about being #Wenger successor may not be accurate. I'm digging though.. stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, I think unless a disaster, we score and that'll put us through.
    If we go through tomorrow I can't see us not picking up at least a point at Chelsea, which will see us finish top 4. I'd start the same team for the next 3 games. Plenty of rest between Chelsea and Brighton.
    If all else fails I can't not see us getting 3 points at home to Brighton on the last day when I would say they might just be safe by then.
    And I'm usually a pessimist!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I know we survived conceding an early goal against City, but I'd love if we didn't do the same tomorrow. We should definitely have enough to go through with a 3 goal advantage and I'd be surprised if we didn't score if we needed to, but if the game somehow gets to 2-0 at some point it will be very cagey. Roma won't want to be too attacking as they only need one more, and we won't be too attacking as we need to not concede, but have natural attacking instincts.

I predict it won't be scare free, but we'll go through, probably on a 2-1 or 2-2 scoreline on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Was a lot more worried about the City 2nd leg. Thought we had a 20% chance of going out, turned out to be more like 50/50. These cup games anything can happen, Roma are a decent side, if they score early it will be 70-80 minutes of high intensity anxiety. We're still favourites, I'd feel a lot better if the ref hadn't given them the penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool just have to watch for the play acting from Roma, they did it V Barca, however Barca also went with the attitude that they were already in the Semi Final and were bad on the night but also missed some chances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

5starpool wrote: »
    I know we survived conceding an early goal against City, but I'd love if we didn't do the same tomorrow. We should definitely have enough to go through with a 3 goal advantage and I'd be surprised if we didn't score if we needed to, but if the game somehow gets to 2-0 at some point it will be very cagey. Roma won't want to be too attacking as they only need one more, and we won't be too attacking as we need to not concede, but have natural attacking instincts.

I predict it won't be scare free, but we'll go through, probably on a 2-1 or 2-2 scoreline on the night.

+1

Please let us score the first goal and don't put me through the ringer.

1-0 Roma scoreline is going to feel extremely squeaky to me if the first goal comes anything before the 80 minute mark!

Logic dictates we should be fine, but I can't help feeling sick and nervy about this game. I think it's just due to the fact it should be done by now and it isn't, and because of what Roma did to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

For those watching in black and white:
    Željko #Buvac has apparently been spending a lot of time in Banja Luka, BiH lately. His visits are related to his father's illness, per sources. Rumours about being #Wenger successor may not be accurate. I'm digging though.. stay tuned.

Would be really weird if it was about Arsenal. If they did approach him and he told Klopp he was interested, I am CERTAIN that Klopp would have said he was delighted for him, and we'll take about it in 4 weeks. Why get distracted now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Dickerty wrote: »
    Would be really weird if it was about Arsenal. If they did approach him and he told Klopp he was interested, I am CERTAIN that Klopp would have said he was delighted for him, and we'll take about it in 4 weeks. Why get distracted now?

+1
    You'd have to believe that about Klopp, that he'd wish Buvac well and can't see him chucking him out now when the culmination of their seasons work is nigh.
    Think everyone is getting rattled by a series of negative hits to the team's confidence, and that's understandable, but as this team is more like a religion for us, now is the time to have faith!

YNWA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Was a lot more worried about the City 2nd leg. Thought we had a 20% chance of going out, turned out to be more like 50/50. These cup games anything can happen, Roma are a decent side, if they score early it will be 70-80 minutes of high intensity anxiety. We're still favourites, I'd feel a lot better if the ref hadn't given them the penalty.

That penalty was totally bogus too. I still think we'll go through as think we'll score once at least. But its the second goal that gives Roma hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement